EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Yup.  I like that this year's roster has been repositioned.  Looking at this offseason in isolation, I'm not sure that there is much I would have done differently, aside from not drafting Hurts.  Use that second on a position player and then give up a 4th and change to unload Jeffery's contract.  That doesn't make us any better in week 1 against Washington though.

The overall roster situation is a function of years of failed drafts.  That's the point of frustration.  We've got a great young RB, the easiest position in the NFL to fill on short notice, and an OK LG.  Those are the 2 starting positions on the entire roster that are locked down by draft picks without major questions after they bet it all on Wentz.  I know you like Howie, but his drafts are THE reason they have questions at WR, S, CB, OL, LB, DE.  That's nearly every positional unit on the team.  

Im not thrilled with past drafts but I dont consider them Howie drafts. 

Howie will fix it.

Just now, ManuManu said:

I knew this would happen when Togiai got snagged. So disappointing. Better off staying with 2 TEs. 

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Next Monday. That way if he doesn’t pan out, they haven’t guaranteed his salary. 

Start Sudfeld or Hurts next Sunday?😀 It'd be nice if Carson makes it past week 1.

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Not sure if he has even worked out yet with Covid testing protocols.  He isn’t playing this week.  Would you be surprised if on Sunday, when the OL lines up, JP is at LT and Prior at RG?  I won’t be.  Prior and Mailata needed those practice reps at T.   Frankly, I wonder if Glenn isn’t under consideration as JP’s back up.  

Would Glenn sign on to start the season as a backup?  I have no idea.  Obviously, with our OL situation, he'd be a fantastic backup.  That's a great add.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im not thrilled with past drafts but I dont consider them Howie drafts. 

Howie will fix it.

Yeah it’s hard to blame just one person. Howie lovers blame Douglas and vice versa. I think it’s pretty clear that Howie is a big part of the organization because of his ability to work the cap and contracts. 

And I don’t care what anyone says but I won’t believe that the Hurts pick was anyone but Pederson. 

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Yup.  I like that this year's roster has been repositioned.  Looking at this offseason in isolation, I'm not sure that there is much I would have done differently, aside from not drafting Hurts.  Use that second on a position player and then give up a 4th and change to unload Jeffery's contract.  That doesn't make us any better in week 1 against Washington though.

The overall roster situation is a function of years of failed drafts.  That's the point of frustration.  We've got a great young RB, the easiest position in the NFL to fill on short notice, and an OK LG.  Those are the 2 starting positions on the entire roster that are locked down by draft picks without major questions after they bet it all on Wentz.  I know you like Howie, but his drafts are THE reason they have questions at WR, S, CB, OL, LB, DE.  That's nearly every positional unit on the team.  

You must be thrilled starting the season with JJAW or Jeffery at the X, Ward as the slot, Watkins as the back up. And possibly, Burnett as the call up.  All that drafted speed and you get one of them. Speed WRs not added to PS as they let Bailey and Marcus Green go and kept Fulgham and Burnett 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Don't pad the list with S and LB, we really don't invest much on those through the draft.

And there has been only one possible miss at OL - Dillard.  Seumalo, Vatai, Pryor, etc. form a pretty good track record there.

But yes, WR and CB have been failures.

And finally, how many teams don't have at least a few position groups in question?

Would Glenn sign on to start the season as a backup?  I have no idea.  Obviously, with our OL situation, he'd be a fantastic backup.  That's a great add.

With incentives if he starts at either RG or LT.  Next man up.  

Just now, BigEFly said:

You must be thrilled starting the season with JJAW or Jeffery at the X, Ward as the slot, Watkins as the back up. And possibly, Burnett as the call up.  All that drafted speed and you get one of them. Speed WRs not added to PS as they let Bailey and Marcus Green go and kept Fulgham and Burnett 

I don't really care about Bailey and Marcus Green.  I'm actually OK with opting for the slower, more polished WRs on the practice squad.  They are better insurance and are more likely to come in and catch passes in the event of emergency.  

As far as the week 1 situation, yea, it's not good.  Reagor on the shelf, Watkins on the redshirt plan, glass Desean as the one guy that doesn't suck, JJAW at the X, and Ward as the soon-to-be #1 in the slot.  The decision to go with 2 TEs is also curious.  Ertz is aging and Goedert is already fighting an injury.  If one of them goes down, they can't lean on 12 personnel as a crutch anymore.  It's not hard to imagine the scenario of a TE getting knocked out of the same game Desean gets knocked out of.  Suddenly the offense is Ertz or Goedert with JJAW/Ward/Hightower.  And this time we won't have the OL to give these guys more time to get open.

That's worse than the stretch last year.

23 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Next Monday. That way if he doesn’t pan out, they haven’t guaranteed his salary. 

I'm not sure if you meant this as a joke, but if he's not signed today it wouldn't surprise me if this were actually the case. Just hope to get through week one with what we have and then fortify. There's a risk but it's a plan with some thought behind it.

For what it's worth, for one game I'd rather go with Seumalo at LT and Herbig at LG than to play Pryor at LT.

So help me here.

So far, we have only brought in one player that was with another team this summer, Huntley.  That includes the PS.

However, Douglas, Miller, and Togiai are on other teams' rosters and Jones and Rush on other teams' PS.  

Am I missing someone?

I don't really care about Bailey and Marcus Green.  I'm actually OK with opting for the slower, more polished WRs on the practice squad.  They are better insurance and are more likely to come in and catch passes in the event of emergency.  

As far as the week 1 situation, yea, it's not good.  Reagor on the shelf, Watkins on the redshirt plan, glass Desean as the one guy that doesn't suck, JJAW at the X, and Ward as the soon-to-be #1 in the slot.  The decision to go with 2 TEs is also curious.  Ertz is aging and Goedert is already fighting an injury.  If one of them goes down, they can't lean on 12 personnel as a crutch anymore.  It's not hard to imagine the scenario of a TE getting knocked out of the same game Desean gets knocked out of.  Suddenly the offense is Ertz or Goedert with JJAW/Ward/Hightower.  And this time we won't have the OL to give these guys more time to get open.

That's worse than the stretch last year.

Dont forgot Miles Sanders and Boston Scott are pretty good receivers too.  Even Clement can catch as well.

Just now, 315Eagles said:

Dont forgot Miles Sanders and Boston Scott are pretty good receivers too.  Even Clement can catch as well.

It says everything about the situation when we are talking about RBs 1-3 as our help in the passing game.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Yeah Miles Sanders was the best deep threat last year. Not good. 

JJAW was useless last year.  It is fair to assume, based on the reporting, that he will be less useless this year.

And Desean, based on the reporting, is not injured.  So to immediately jump to WHEN he gets hurt week 1, is an argument of convenience. 

Miles Sanders is not Brian Westbrook.  Brian Westbrook was not Marshall Faulk.  And Marshall Faulk was not a probowl WR.

Leaning on a couple broken wheel routes per month from Sanders as justification that we have passing weapons is really doing Wentz a disservice.  

Just now, eagle45 said:

It says everything about the situation when we are talking about RBs 1-3 as our help in the passing game.

Why not?  They play too.  Whether its running or receiving, it's part of the game.  

You have Djax.  Ward can make some plays.  Hopefully Whiteside can improve.  Ertz and Goedert are both really good TEs.  Sanders and Scott are receiving options as well.  

If Wentz can spread it around there are plenty of options.  To me the Eagles are better when they establish the run first.  If they're having trouble pass protecting then lean on the run game.

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

JJAW was useless last year.  It is fair to assume, based on the reporting, that he will be less useless this year.

And Desean, based on the reporting, is not injured.  So to immediately jump to WHEN he gets hurt week 1, is an argument of convenience. 

To assume that Desean will be healthy this year and that JJAW will be a weapon is an argument of blind hope that is venturing a lot further out along a branch than an injured Desean and useless JJAW.

To assume that Desean will be healthy this year and that JJAW will be a weapon is an argument of blind hope that is venturing a lot further out along a branch than an injured Desean and useless JJAW.

Please don't exaggerate my argument.  I said Desean will healthy week one and JJAW would be more useful than last season.  I never said "weapon", which would imply someone a DC would need to scheme against.

I am hopeful, but not blind.

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Miles Sanders is not Brian Westbrook.  Brian Westbrook was not Marshall Faulk.  And Marshall Faulk was not a probowl WR.

Leaning on a couple broken wheel routes per month from Sanders as justification that we have passing weapons is really doing Wentz a disservice.  

Nobody is saying Sanders is a pro bowl WR.

He can still help or contribute some in the passing game.  That's it.

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

Please don't exaggerate my argument.  I said Desean will healthy week one and JJAW would be more useful than last season.  I never said "weapon", which would imply someone a DC would need to scheme against.

I am hopeful, but not blind.

IMO, either he's a weapon or he's not useful.

I'm hopeful that Hightower/Watkins turns into something and that Reagor comes back and knocks it out of the park.  

JJAW/Desean/Ward...hope is blind.  

4 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Nobody is saying Sanders is a pro bowl WR.

He can still help or contribute some in the passing game.  That's it.

The point is E45 is pointing out (like he’s done for 3 years) that our WR situation is not good and slow. Having to say that a RB is a good receiving option to go against his point.. proves his point 

22 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I'm not sure if you meant this as a joke, but if he's not signed today it wouldn't surprise me if this were actually the case. Just hope to get through week one with what we have and then fortify. There's a risk but it's a plan with some thought behind it.

For what it's worth, for one game I'd rather go with Seumalo at LT and Herbig at LG than to play Pryor at LT.

I think it makes more sense to do this approach at TE. With Glenn you can at least get him on the practice field tomorrow and prepare him for at least a backup role. If they went with someone else like Rodgers, he would have to come in today, wait three days, and then you only have the last walkthrough with him. It helps that he somewhat knows the offense but I don’t think he’d be ready to contribute at all. 

2 hours ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

"Months to plan?” Dillard got hurt like.... 2 weeks ago. 

He was shaky at best, and we had no backup plan.  And then they sign JP at RG a d refuse to simply pay him to move over

This will work out well

Archived