Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

Just now, DBW said:

The Goff trade really screwed up the market too.  

That's why I think Howie did well, at least he didn't give up future draft picks in the Wentz trade, the Rams totally screwed themselves.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had this trade happened a year ago, we would have hauled in four No.1 picks.  We basically traded him for two third round picks (a 2022 No.2 equals a no.3 this year). That is how far things have changed.  

1 minute ago, FlankingRight said:

The dude wanted out though. How can players follow his lead if he doesn’t want to be here? I love(loved Wentz) but you can’t keep players that don’t want to play here.

I mean the entire organization. Someone ran him out of town.

Am I the only person here who finds it ironic that the Wentzamanic is actually ripping a guy who got benched in college and saying he’s only going to lead us to three wins, because he’s crying over a quarterback who got benched in the pros and only led the team to three wins? 😂🤣😂

7 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

That’s a great plan and would work for any QB including Wentz, too bad Howie is GM, expect drafting a QB this year while we are sitting at the 6th spot.

That's my fear honestly. Or another project player gets grabbed before a universal sure thing. 

1 minute ago, DBW said:

The Goff trade really screwed up the market too.  

This. People are expecting other teams to follow suit and give up so much for a guy that's had one great season starting at QB - a season he didn't even finish. I think Stafford is a good QB, but no way is he worth what the Rams gave up for him

1 minute ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Agreed. Howie failed him. Piss poor drafting of weapons and didn’t address the Oline in the process. Feels Bad we let a Franchise QB slip through our fingers.

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

That's why I think Howie did well, at least he didn't give up future draft picks in the Wentz trade, the Rams totally screwed themselves.

We basically trade Wentz for two third round picks.  (A future No.2 is equal a No.3 this year)

2 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Nah, he wanted out as soon as Hurts was named starter for the rest of the year. That showed me he just wants to be given the starting role instead of earning it. I was officially done with him when he made that statement.

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

You mean the pedigree that got benched in the National Championship and got chased out of Bama after the GOAT coach was done c with him?

Wrong! He was not chased out of Alabama! He stayed at Bama until he graduated and transferred, period. He is a beloved former player at Alabama and I not only follow Alabama football, I am an alumni, I have season tickets, and have 2 children who are currently students at Bama.

You can he lost his job to Tua, but to say he was chased out of Alabama is just not true!

I'm actually a little bit conflicted after this news. Should we fire Howie and tar and feather him and chase him out of town with pitchforks? Or, should we tar and feather him first, then fire him and drive him out of town with pitchforks?

This entire episode is a microcosm of Roseman's ineptness, and what a joke it is that the garbage national media saw fit to name him the "executive of the year" because some bargain bin signings played way over their heads in the same season.

The trade is the least of it, really.         Roseman had backed the Eagles into a corner with his moves of the last three years, from the cupboard of young talent being bare from awful drafting to the monster contract for Wentz when the Eagles were still not 100% sold on him to the drafting of another QB with a pick the Eagles desperately needed to shore up the myriad holes that Roseman had failed to fill.           

The fact that they got as much as they did is a minor miracle given the complete lack of leverage Roseman had with the Colts.          But from the Colts standpoint, they needed a QB and got a young guy Reich had success with, only had to give up a 3rd this year, and if Wentz turns out to be the guy there and they are a playoff team (both of which I would bet will happen), next year's 1st will look the the bargain of the century.

Meanwhile, the Eagles are headed for a major rebuild, and Lurie has entrusted that job to the same clown who was highly responsible for running a Super Bowl winning franchise into the ditch in the first place.          The fact that he is still running the operation after what has gone down since 2018 is nothing short of staggering, and something you wouldn't see in a million years in sports other than perhaps the worst kind of dysfunctional train wreck organizations.

Just now, MF POON said:

Nah, he wanted out as soon as Hurts was named starter for the rest of the year. That showed me he just wants to be given the starting role instead of earning it. I was officially done with him when he made that statement.

Agreed. Though I admit I started feeling really disenchanted with him way earlier last season..

14 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Bears reportedly had a better offer but Carson "didn't want to go there". Who gives a F?

Hope we enjoy those 3 wins. 

How many wins did wentz get us last year?

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There's a similar pic of Trent Dilfer and another of Brad Johnson ... 

Similar.  But those two weren't showered and in street clothes.  :whistle: 

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

I don’t have a problem with him stating he wants to start but I do have a problem that he didn’t have the balls to try to fight and earn his way back to be a starter. The franchise gave you big $. Be a big boy and fight. 

1 minute ago, paco said:

Similar.  But those two weren't showered and in street clothes.  :whistle: 

Touché!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Bamabird said:

Wrong! He was not chased out of Alabama! He stayed at Bama until he graduated and transferred, period. He is a beloved former player at Alabama and I not only follow Alabama football, I am an alumni, I have season tickets, and have 2 children who are currently students at Bama.

You can he lost his job to Tua, but to say he was chased out of Alabama is just not true!

As a UT grad (and home of another train wreck of a program), I completely agree with this.         How many QB's who lost their job and transferred have ever been beloved at their original school?   

Hurts may or may not be the answer here, but the guy is the consummate teammate and leader.

8 minutes ago, Recadna said:

Had this trade happened a year ago after the SB, we would have hauled in four No.1 picks.  We basically traded him for two third round picks (a 2022 No.2 equals a no.3 this year). That is how far things have changed.  

FYP. 

Yeah this whole situation sucks.  But I'm going to look on the bright side.  Wentz will fetch us hopefully a 1st and a 3rd. 

He also gave us home field advantage leading to a super bowl victory.  Looking at the big picture, I'm okay with that.  Now let's see what we've got in Hurts. 

1 minute ago, Sturm said:

Give it time. Everything will fix itself. Life has a way of working out if you have faith 🙂

If by "Time" you mean Lurie dying, then ok.   But if you believe Lurie is going to start holding Howie accountable for picking players i believe you are mistaken.   None of his drafts have produced any all pros and only a few one time pro bowlers.  There are enough JJAW/Metcalf blunders to fill a book.   And i dot want to hear "well no one else thought Metcalf was gonna be this good"   He's the GM, and its his job.  He followed it up by doing it again last year - always thinking he's smarter than everyone else.    

Now that Wentz is gone and based on that has to be labeled as a bust, Barnett (avg player nothing special), traded 1 to Balt in 2018, Dillard still a question mark heading into season 3, Reagor a question are well after a blah rookie performance,  where many other WRs had very good seasons.   

Sorry, Luire will always be an apologist for Roseman.   The crowd is going to have to get pretty vocal, especially with their wallets for Lurie to even think about holding him accountable.   

Funny though, he made no qualms about giving Kelly the reigns to hang himself after one season(I will say Kelly did a stellar job at that by the way) but doesn't hold Roseman accountable in the same fashion.   

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Majority like the trade and are on board.

Colts fans have no reason to be unhappy with this trade.       They got a young QB who had great success under their current HC without having to give up a 1st or 2nd this year.         That's the beauty of having a legitimate NFL GM, something we haven't had in 20+ years.

Disappointed that the only 2021 draft compensation is pick 85.

Ultimately, the trade is fair value for both sides. Both teams taking on risk with this trade. Imagine the Colts getting 2018 Wentz and starting 5-6 with a really good roster. Also imagine Wentz looking somewhat like 2017 Wentz and the team starting 8-3. Eagles had little leverage to ask for more considering the Bears reportedly backed out.

7 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

How many wins did wentz get us last year?

Apparently 16 in his dreams. Not for nothing, but Carson has one double digit win season for the Eagles, no playoff victories, and averages only 7 wins a season his entire career as a starter, but this guy is crying like he lost a family member. This era of football was literally better when he wasn’t playing than when he did play. 

Archived