Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

28 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Completion percentage says otherwise. 53 percent. Yippee. Wentz is gonna win his division. Hurts will be lucky to win three games.

Completion percentage is not the end all be all that determines how accurate a QB is. Shorter passes = higher completion percentage. Longer passes = lower completion percentage. But then again I’m wasting my time explaining this, again, since you seem to be obsessed with this one stat as determining how accurate a QB’s throws are. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mjkvol said:

Colts fans have no reason to be unhappy with this trade.       They got a young QB who had great success under their current HC without having to give up a 1st or 2nd this year.         That's the beauty of having a legitimate NFL GM, something we haven't had in 20+ years.

If I was Colts fan I would like it. They aren't putting much on the line for a deal that could have a lot of upside. I would have rather kept him on the Eagles for at least another year.

5 minutes ago, Recadna said:

We basically trade Wentz for two third round picks.  (A future No.2 is equal a No.3 this year)

I don't subscribe to this idea.  The caliber of player in the top 60 of any given draft is considerably better talent than 70-100, particularly as the picks get further apart  etc.

image.png.b397d9a1041a9fa7aaf003865513915e.png

There is something to be said for drafting a player more likely than not to become a starter.  The only other alternative is to draft every player of the 4th round lol.   

Two of the three gone now.  Too bad the worst one (and the first one that needed to go) is still here.  

37 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

We don't have an actual QB. We have a RB who throws when he has to.

It’s ridiculous to write off Hurts after 4 games as a rookie. I think you’re just so pro Wentz that you’d hate whoever was taking his place.

All I keep reading from you is blah, blah, when he was at Alabama, blah. Why are we still talking about Bama? Last I checked, Hurts final/most recent season in college was at Oklahoma. He improved dramatically as a passer in his final year at Oklahoma. 

Just now, mjkvol said:

This entire episode is a microcosm of Roseman's ineptness, and what a joke it is that the garbage national media saw fit to name him the "executive of the year" because some bargain bin signings played way over their heads in the same season.

The trade is the least of it, really.         Roseman had backed the Eagles into a corner with his moves of the last three years, from the cupboard of young talent being bare from awful drafting to the monster contract for Wentz when the Eagles were still not 100% sold on him to the drafting of another QB with a pick the Eagles desperately needed to shore up the myriad holes that Roseman had failed to fill.           

The fact that they got as much as they did is a minor miracle given the complete lack of leverage Roseman had with the Colts.          But from the Colts standpoint, they needed a QB and got a young guy Reich had success with, only had to give up a 3rd this year, and if Wentz turns out to be the guy there and they are a playoff team (both of which I would bet will happen), next year's 1st will look the the bargain of the century.

Meanwhile, the Eagles are headed for a major rebuild, and Lurie has entrusted that job to the same clown who was highly responsible for running a Super Bowl winning franchise into the ditch in the first place.          The fact that he is still running the operation after what has gone down since 2018 is nothing short of staggering, and something you wouldn't see in a million years in sports other than perhaps the worst kind of dysfunctional train wreck organizations.

Thank You, someone get's it.

21 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

I mean the entire organization. Someone ran him out of town.

yeah his play on the field

I’m just glad it’s over. Get him out of town and start fresh. Now the question is whether they roll with Hurts for the year to give him a shot, or they draft a QB. Personally the only way I’m drafting a quarterback is if Fields falls to 6. That dude is going to be really good IMO. 

Just now, nipples said:

I’m just glad it’s over. Get him out of town and start fresh. Now the question is whether they roll with Hurts for the year to give him a shot, or they draft a QB. Personally the only way I’m drafting a quarterback is if Fields falls to 6. That dude is going to be really good IMO. 

You had me up until Fields.  

Just now, nipples said:

I would like to believe that being a OS fan, but what quarterback ever was good from Ohio State?

I would rather have Chase and have 2 young good receivers to build on....

10 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Disappointed that the only 2021 draft compensation is pick 85.

Ultimately, the trade is fair value for both sides. Both teams taking on risk with this trade. Imagine the Colts getting 2018 Wentz and starting 5-6 with a really good roster. Also imagine Wentz looking somewhat like 2017 Wentz and the team starting 8-3. Eagles had little leverage to ask for more considering the Bears reportedly backed out.

They started 11-2 under Wentz in 2017 not 8-3.  

So the Eagles get the Colts 3rd round pick this year (#84). And a 2nd round pick next year, that could become a first, most likely if Wentz leads the Colts to the playoffs. (Likely a pick in the 20s, or later.).... Meh. It doesn't knock my socks off, but it's probably the best deal the Eagles could get.

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I’m just glad it’s over. Get him out of town and start fresh.

At this point that's exactly where I'm at!

1 minute ago, Vman1968 said:

They started 11-2 under Wentz in 2017 not 8-3.  

I said "somewhat like" and based it off 11 games. 2017 Wentz is gone.

1 hour ago, beto_eagles said:

He just needs to play 75% of the snaps. So, hopefully he just repeats 2020 😅

It doesn't say he has to play 75% of snaps well.  

3 minutes ago, toolg said:

So the Eagles get the Colts 3rd round pick this year (#84). And a 2nd round pick next year, that could become a first, most likely if Wentz leads the Colts to the playoffs. (Likely a pick in the 20s, or later.).... Meh. It doesn't knock my socks off, but it's probably the best deal the Eagles could get.

A (probably) 1st and a third is great value for an average QB. 

Overall, the trade looks fair. Keep him upright and the Eagles get a 2022 (probably a late) 1st round pick. That's fine given the big picture. 

45 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

If the colts (likely) go deeper into the playoffs, its still closer to a 2nd round pick

Only if you think Wentz is good enough to do that. I don’t. 

Just now, PoconoDon said:

Overall, the trade looks fair. Keep him upright and the Eagles get a 2022 (probably a late) 1st round pick. That's fine given the big picture. 

Was hoping for more, and feel like we should've gotten more.. But if the Bears dropped out because Wentz didn't want to go, I certainly prefer this deal over Wentz returning.

1 hour ago, QBhunter58 said:

Awful, not a good return. If he lights it up, Roseman is gone

Wentz is an average QB, with terrible mechanics. Getting a probable 1st and a third is a great return. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Wentz is an average QB, with terrible mechanics. Getting a probable 1st and a third is a great return. 

So the Eagles have only ever had average QB's in the history of their franchise then.

Carson Wentz holds the single season record for TD passes, completion percentage and passing yards.

54 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

We don't have an actual QB. We have a RB who throws when he has to.

We signed Lamar Jackson?

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

While I think it is a horrible trade I never thought Wentz was worth anywhere near 2 first rounders. That's why I can't believe we were in position where we had to trade him. I still don't know who to blame more for that...Howie or Wentz.

4 minutes ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

We signed Lamar Jackson?

Lamar Jackson is light years better than Jalen Hurts.

Hurts will never touch the numbers Jackson put up in 2019.

I wonder what the chances are that Wentz plays 75% of the time AND the Colts end up bad enough for a top 10 pick.  I mean, we wall know injuries happen and teams can go off the rails.  The Colts *should* be good enough to make the playoffs.  But, there is also a chance they suffer some key injuries (excluding Wentz) and the team winds up with a losing record.  

I just did some math - the Colts ran 1,092 total offensive plays last season.  That's an average of 68.25 plays per game.  If the Colts run 1,092 plays in 2021, Wentz would have to play 819 snaps to hit the 75% mark.  That would equate to approximately 4 games.  So, if the Colts suck but Wentz doesn't miss any time for the first 12 games, we should hopefully be landing a high 1st round pick.

But, knowing the Eagles' luck, Wentz will miss 6 games in the middle of the season, he'll end up under 70% of snaps played, but come back and lead the Colts to a deep playoff run.  <_<

Archived