Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

If I was Colts fan I would like it. They aren't putting much on the line for a deal that could have a lot of upside. I would have rather kept him on the Eagles for at least another year.

Me too, but between Roseman and Pederson they had made it virtually impossible by poisoning the situation to the point of no return.        I like Hurts as a kid, but I think Wentz would have been the better bet with a fresh start.

I'm happy, the compensation doesn't bother me one bit.   

I'm also excited for Hurts, I really hope he gets his chance. 

I thought Wentz had such renowned cancerous social issues that not even those who were close to him would want to sign him? Or is that no longer?

1 minute ago, EaglesAddict said:

But, knowing the Eagles' luck, Wentz will miss 6 games in the middle of the season, he'll end up under 70% of snaps played, but come back and lead the Colts to a deep playoff run.  <_<

If his play last season is any indication, we should be looking at a high second.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So the Eagles have only ever had average QB's in the history of their franchise then.

Carson Wentz holds the single season record for TD passes, completion percentage and passing yards.

Well as a matter of fact, yes the Eagles history is pretty much filled with average to below average QBs. Is this news to you?

That said, I’m not even the biggest McNabb fan, but he was far better than Wentz.

Big deal about those records. Franchise single season passing records are being broken all the time now by average QBs. It’s a different era of football, if you haven’t noticed passing numbers across the league are FAR higher than they were in 15 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

Was hoping for more, and feel like we should've gotten more.. But if the Bears dropped out because Wentz didn't want to go, I certainly prefer this deal over Wentz returning.

Well, that's the typical difference between how much value is put on a player here vs. how much other teams value him. A likely 1st and a 3rd is a fair deal for Wentz given his body of work. Now they have to give Miami a package to swap 1st round picks, and Ertz should be a part of it. Gesicki and Ertz is a nice combo.

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Well, that's the typical difference between how much value is put on a player here vs. how much other teams value him. A likely 1st and a 3rd is a fair deal for Wentz given his body of work. Now they have to give Miami a package to swap 1st round picks, and Ertz should be a part of it. Gesicki and Ertz is a nice combo.

I don't know about that.

The last couple of QBs the value others put on them sure was waaaay higher than the value put on them here.

1 minute ago, mihailo said:

I thought Wentz had such renowned cancerous social issues that not even those who were close to him would want to sign him? Or is that no longer?

1 minute ago, Infam said:

If his play last season is any indication, we should be looking at a high second.

It will be interesting to see how Wentz handles himself next year.

18 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m just glad it’s over. Get him out of town and start fresh.

The only way the Eagles can start fresh is by eliminating the cancer from the organization, the individual responsible for the current mess.        As long as Roseman remains, so will mediocrity or worse. 

6 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

While I think it is a horrible trade I never thought Wentz was worth anywhere near 2 first rounders. That's why I can't believe we were in position where we had to trade him. I still don't know who to blame more for that...Howie or Wentz.

For my part it's 99% Howie. He's overseeing and directing the erosion of the Philadelphia Eagles into a bad football team. I view Hurts as a lesser QB than Wentz was and I know Howie won't get him any help either. Failure looms large.

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Well as a matter of fact, yes the Eagles history is pretty much filled with average to below average QBs. Is this news to you?

That said, I’m not even the biggest McNabb fan, but he was far better than Wentz.

Big deal about those records. Franchise single season passing records are being broken all the time now by average QBs. It’s a different era of football, if you haven’t noticed passing numbers across the league are FAR higher than they were in 15 years ago. 

No, they are not actually.   People keep saying 4,000 yards is common, it really isn't.  QB's throwing for 4000 yards by year.

2020 - 12

2019 - 11

2018 - 12

2017 - 8

2016 - 13

4000 yards happens less than half the time, and it is the same guys over and over.  I will have to find my breakdown I did, but it is not as common as you think.

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

I don't know about that.

The last couple of QBs the value others put on them sure was waaaay higher than the value put on them here.

The Vikes were desperate and expected playoffs so a 1st for old sniper eye was OK. The 2nd round picks for a serviceable QB who is probably a good #2 is a fair deal too.

7 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I wonder what the chances are that Wentz plays 75% of the time AND the Colts end up bad enough for a top 10 pick.  I mean, we wall know injuries happen and teams can go off the rails.  The Colts *should* be good enough to make the playoffs.  But, there is also a chance they suffer some key injuries (excluding Wentz) and the team winds up with a losing record.  

I just did some math - the Colts ran 1,092 total offensive plays last season.  That's an average of 68.25 plays per game.  If the Colts run 1,092 plays in 2021, Wentz would have to play 819 snaps to hit the 75% mark.  That would equate to approximately 4 games.  So, if the Colts suck but Wentz doesn't miss any time for the first 12 games, we should hopefully be landing a high 1st round pick.

I hear you, but the way this GM fought to keep a concrete 1st out of this trade, this makes me think he's going to mandate benching him if the team looks bad before that 1st rd pick to us comes to fruition. 

Just now, PoconoDon said:

For my part it's 99% Howie. He's overseeing and directing the erosion of the Philadelphia Eagles into a bad football team. I view Hurts as a lesser QB than Wentz was and I know Howie won't get him any help either. Failure looms large.

Hurts is a lesser QB based on what exactly? Four games as a rookie?

It’s funny, this place likes to pound the table for production over upside for draft picks, yet if you look at college production, Hurts put up far better numbers playing at two major programs than Wentz did at NDSU. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

No, they are not actually.   People keep saying 4,000 yards is common, it really isn't.  QB's throwing for 4000 yards by year.

2020 - 12

2019 - 11

2018 - 12

2017 - 8

2016 - 13

4000 yards happens less than half the time, and it is the same guys over and over.  I will have to find my breakdown I did, but it is not as common as you think.

I did the breakdown myself in another thread awhile back. While you’re at it, go back before 2008 and tell me how many 4000 yard QBs there were per season. You’ll see that it is far, far fewer than there are now. 

Which is my entire point. I’m sorry but a qb in the modern era throwing for more yards than a QBs in the 90s does not tell me the modern era qb is better. The game today is skewed in his favor. Hell, Jay Cutler had a season in Denver where he threw for more passing yards than Elway ever did. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Hurts is a lesser QB based on what exactly? Four games as a rookie?

It’s funny, this place likes to pound the table for production over upside for draft picks, yet if you look at college production, Hurts put up far better numbers playing at two major programs than Wentz did at NDSU. 

Based on his college career and what I saw in his limited play here so far. I'm not saying he can't develop into a QB that's better than Wentz at some point. I'm saying that Wentz at this point in his career looked more skilled and more promising. This whole thing is probably moot, because Howie won't get him any meaningful help anyway. I fully expect this kid to die on the vine. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

I did the breakdown myself in another thread awhile back. While you’re at it, go back before 2008 and tell me how many 4000 yard QBs there were per season. You’ll see that it is far, far fewer than there are now. 

Which is my entire point. I’m sorry but a qb in the modern era throwing for more yards than a QBs in the 90s does not tell me the modern era qb is better. The game today is skewed in his favor. Hell, Jay Cutler had a season in Denver where he threw for more passing yards than Elway ever did. 

There was 10 in 2009 and 2011

27 minutes ago, B3 said:

It doesn't say he has to play 75% of snaps well.  

But if he doesn't play well the Colts will sit him to protect their first round pick. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

Second and a third. Peanuts. F Howie. And F Hurts. Time to find a outdoor hobby for a season. We gonna be one of the worst teams in the league. 

Yeah we will probably go 4-12. Had we kept and started Wentz for 16 games it would have be 0-16. 

6 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Based on his college career and what I saw in his limited play here so far. I'm not saying he can't develop into a QB that's better than Wentz at some point. 

Every starting QB is better than Wentz. Including Hurts. We were lucky to get anything for him. He sucks. Let's move on. 

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

2020 - 12

2019 - 11

2018 - 12

2017 - 8

2016 - 13

In an offense that throws about 90% of the time it's fairly common. 

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There was 10 in 2009 and 2011

How is that relevant? I said before 2008. 

Archived