Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

The real return for the Eagles isn't whatever picks they settled for; it's getting his enormous cap charge off the books after this year.  That opens the door for a return to business as usual.  It's a long term play but they had to bite the bullet. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

We signed Lamar Jackson?

A lesser version of him. 

20 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

who's out there? Mariota? Go nuts. 

Press Taylor, Frank Reich, a great defense and offensive line is waiting for Wentz in Indy. Smart playcalling that will protect him from himself. But this GM is going to possibly miss out on that and pivot to the "other QBs" (if I'm OAK I'm not trading either Mariota or Carr to a conference rival without getting a 1)  all to protect his "I don't blink" self image. If I were Jim Irsay I would be getting really annoyed at this point. 

See that’s the difference between a GM who has leverage and knows what he’s doing compared to a totally incompetent GM. Ballard is one of the best. This is a no lose situation for Indy. If Wentz sucks or gets hurt, they keep their first. If he plays 75% of the plays he’s obviously having success so who cares about giving up a future 1st. 

This is what I thought would initially happen with Wentz, though I thought it would be a three-way deal. 

5 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Yeah we will probably go 4-12. Had we kept and started Wentz for 16 games it would have be 0-16. 

Watch. Wentz is gonna win his division. 

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

For my part it's 99% Howie. He's overseeing and directing the erosion of the Philadelphia Eagles into a bad football team. I view Hurts as a lesser QB than Wentz was and I know Howie won't get him any help either. Failure looms large.

But if rumors are true that Wentz wanted out because of the Hurts pick, I just can't help to question Wentz's character. Don't get me wrong, I put A LOT of blame on Howie for the Wentz contract extension and trying make more SB runs through FA rather than focusing on getting younger. I don't put too much blame on Howie for the Hurts pick if that is what forced us into this trade. Now if Wentz didn't force this trade I say we tar and feather Howie....oh heck....lets tar and feather him anyway!

I think the Eagles definitely mismanaged Wentz's development to a degree, but ultimately, he didn't seem to have the demeanor or makeup to play QB in Philly. The fact is that the guy has consistently regressed for three seasons following his knee injury, but they signed him to a massive extension anyway. Now he wants out? I had a lot of high hopes for Wentz, but like another poster said, you can't keep guys around that don't want to be on the team. It's a bad precedent to set in a locker room. Good riddance.

34 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Overall, the trade looks fair. Keep him upright and the Eagles get a 2022 (probably a late) 1st round pick. That's fine given the big picture. 

The value is really just in getting rid of that albatross of a contract.  We weren't forced to give up high picks like the Rams did to get rid of Goff's contract or Houston did to get rid of Osweiler's.  

29 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So the Eagles have only ever had average QB's in the history of their franchise then.

Carson Wentz holds the single season record for TD passes, completion percentage and passing yards.

He also has 0 playoff wins under his belt, and probably holds the single season record for worst rated starting QB in eagles history 😄

Great deal for Wentz and Indy. Indy protected themselves from Wentz sucking or getting hurt. Wentz should succeed in a town like Indy where the fans just mindlessly cheer for the home team. Philly is tough place to play for a weak minded player. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

So?  He wasn't gonna win this one.  Now we have that albatross of a contract off our neck next year and can actually rebuild.  Go back in the Delorean to 2017 and pleasure yourself to your heart's content.  It's 2021 and Wentz ain't that guy anymore.

7 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Every starting QB is better than Wentz. Including Hurts. We were lucky to get anything for him. He sucks. Let's move on. 

In an offense that throws about 90% of the time it's fairly common. 

Stop. A weaker arm, slower processing of information, and folding under the bright lights. That's not so very much after all is it? We'll see.

Yeah I'm not going to crown Hurts either, just like I never personally crowned Wentz (I was actually in favor of trading him after the SB and keeping Foles). But it'll be interesting to see if there's anything with Hurts with a full offseason and going in knowing he's the starter (depending on the draft).

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

As a UT grad (and home of another train wreck of a program), I completely agree with this.         How many QB's who lost their job and transferred have ever been beloved at their original school?   

Hurts may or may not be the answer here, but the guy is the consummate teammate and leader.

I sure hope y'all get your program together soon! I love the 3rd Saturday in October when it is good game.

2 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Yeah I'm not going to crown Hurts either, just like I never personally crowned Wentz (I was actually in favor of trading him after the SB and keeping Foles). But it'll be interesting to see if there's anything with Hurts with a full offseason and going in knowing he's the starter (depending on the draft).

He is reportedly getting together with the young receivers soon in Texas. That's a good first step.

One thing is for sure, NFL teams will hesitate to sign their young 'franchise' QBs to contracts BEFORE their rookie deal expire.  

Unless you have a generational talent like Mahomes.

24 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

I hear you, but the way this GM fought to keep a concrete 1st out of this trade, this makes me think he's going to mandate benching him if the team looks bad before that 1st rd pick to us comes to fruition. 

I really do wonder if that would happen...i.e., Wentz healthy and playing "ok", but team is stinking and get eliminated from the playoffs...would they bench him just to avoid giving up that 1st?

1 minute ago, Mortimer said:

A good deal for all parties involved. 

I said it was horrible but when I say that I mean the situation as a whole. The trade wasn't so bad considering Wentz comes with a whole lot of questions. I'm shocked we're even here. I really thought Wentz would be the Eagles starter next year even when trade rumors surfaced.

13 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Yeah we will probably go 4-12. Had we kept and started Wentz for 16 games it would have be 0-16. 

It’s hard to predict what our record would have been if Wentz started here in 2021 considering we have an entirely new coaching staff and the scheme on offense is sure to change as well.  And I know many are down on the team right now (rightfully so), but I think we somewhat surprise and end up winning 6-7 games.  

10 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Last season wentz wouldn’t win a raffle never mind a division in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Same here. I liked the Wentz pick when we drafted him but I did not like the extension and thought we should have kept Foles and started a rebuild. Wentz never sold me, We'll see if Hurts can sell me. But I suspect Hurts is just hear for a year or two before we bring in a new franchise QB.

Garofolo basically just said that everything went south with Wentz after drafting Hurts, that he didn't formally request a trade or publicly state his displeasure, but the organization knew that he wanted to play elsewhere. What. A. Baby.

Archived