Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

In the past a new MCU movie would generate lots of discussion, these days not much.  Is that the EMB or MCU fatigue?

I've been waiting because I don't want to throw out spoilers

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

My full thoughts on Dr. Strange.  For me, I still don't know how I feel about it.

Spoiler

The Good

• I applaud the movie for taking big swings. The sequence where they travelled between the universes was awesome, the gore and Sam Raimi-ness of it was really cool. 
  • I loved everything about the illuminati. The way each character was presented, the arrogance of the illuminati underestimating Wanda, the creativeness of their death. Brilliant. The return of the X-Men animated theme was perfection (although the gold chair looked a little corny outside of the Animated style).  
  • That music fight was one of the more creative scenes I've seen in a comic book movie ever.  Loved it. 
  • Wanda as a villain was downright terrifying.  When she came through the glass, it was incredibly creepy.  I also loved how creative they were with her.  Probing the minds of the students, the reflection process, dream walking, and again the killing of the Illuminati were all epic.  I think Elizabeth crushed it with what she was given (more on that below).
  • I thought America Chavez was engaging and, for a character they literally dropped in with little introduction, I thought she held her own.

The Bad

• I didn't like how they transitioned Wanda from the end of WandaVision.  I understood the whole "Mom" motivation of it all and how the Dark Hold Corrupted her, but I would have liked to seen that more. Having her go full heel at the very beginning of the movie was a bit dissatisfying.  I would have preferred at least a little introduction of the darkhold making her believe her children were in trouble so that she had to do whatever she could to save them. That would have been way more compelling then I'm going to kidnap my kids from another Wanda. 
  • The third act fight between Zombie Strange and Wanda.  I liked that the Darkhold was used and not the magical maguffin that "gives the sorcerer whatever he needs to win."  But the whole "you need to believe in yourself" speech coming from a zombie was really corny and took me right out of the film. 
  • The movie really slowed down at times with exposition.  The "memory store" is a good example of what I am talking about.  Also, America banishing her moms because of a Bee was stupid.    
  • This is the first time we are seeing Baron Mordo since Dr. Strange.  We hear that 616's Mordo has been trying to kill Strange for years since (which honestly, given that he was dusted for 5 years doesn't seem like much time at all).  But then we are introduced to a different Mordo and they have a whole fight without ANY magic.  Frankly, I wished they just left Mordo out of this movie and saved him for the next movie. Use the consequences of Dr. Strange, IW/Endgame, and MoM as sort of a trial of Doctor Strange.  I'm sure that's probably where they go anyway, but it just seemed to cheapen the fight by including him here. 

The I don't knows

• I wish we got to see more worlds.  This had the chance to get weird and we basically saw our universe, a similar universe with more flowers and red light is green, and an apocalyptical world.  That's it. I wish we could have gotten at least one bat :censored: crazy world.  Maybe one where the heroes are the villains. Something different. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

My full thoughts on Dr. Strange.  For me, I still don't know how I feel about it.

Hide contents

• The movie really slowed down at times with exposition.  The "memory store" is a good example of what I am talking about.  Also, America banishing her moms because of a Bee was stupid.    

• I wish we got to see more worlds.  This had the chance to get weird and we basically saw our universe, a similar universe with more flowers and red light is green, and an apocalyptical world.  That's it. I wish we could have gotten at least one bat :censored: crazy world.  Maybe one where the heroes are the villains. Something different. 

Spoiler

i actually agree with most of that, but i highlighted these 2 points. first, i thought her banishing her moms because of the bee made her resisting to understand her powers reasonable. like, her powers were the source of her worst childhood memory so she just wants to pretend they dont exist. 

also, i cant agree more with wanting to see more universes. they really needed to spend more time at a few more.

oh, and i already deleted it, but the mordo thing. i think they wanted to use mordo at some point but shoe horned him here because they are probably going to get really wierd with the next strange movie. i feel like the dr strange mythos has so much wierdness and grandure that a fight between him and mordo wouldnt be enough for a movie and would end up looking more like the first movie. 

20 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Good

• I applaud the movie for taking big swings. The sequence where they travelled between the universes was awesome, the gore and Sam Raimi-ness of it was really cool. 
  • I loved everything about the illuminati. The way each character was presented, the arrogance of the illuminati underestimating Wanda, the creativeness of their death. Brilliant. The return of the X-Men animated theme was perfection (although the gold chair looked a little corny outside of the Animated style).  
  • That music fight was one of the more creative scenes I've seen in a comic book movie ever.  Loved it. 
  • Wanda as a villain was downright terrifying.  When she came through the glass, it was incredibly creepy.  I also loved how creative they were with her.  Probing the minds of the students, the reflection process, dream walking, and again the killing of the Illuminati were all epic.  I think Elizabeth crushed it with what she was given (more on that below).
  • I thought America Chavez was engaging and, for a character they literally dropped in with little introduction, I thought she held her own.

The Bad

• I didn't like how they transitioned Wanda from the end of WandaVision.  I understood the whole "Mom" motivation of it all and how the Dark Hold Corrupted her, but I would have liked to seen that more. Having her go full heel at the very beginning of the movie was a bit dissatisfying.  I would have preferred at least a little introduction of the darkhold making her believe her children were in trouble so that she had to do whatever she could to save them. That would have been way more compelling then I'm going to kidnap my kids from another Wanda. 
  • The third act fight between Zombie Strange and Wanda.  I liked that the Darkhold was used and not the magical maguffin that "gives the sorcerer whatever he needs to win."  But the whole "you need to believe in yourself" speech coming from a zombie was really corny and took me right out of the film. 
  • This is the first time we are seeing Baron Mordo since Dr. Strange.  We hear that 616's Mordo has been trying to kill Strange for years since (which honestly, given that he was dusted for 5 years doesn't seem like much time at all).  But then we are introduced to a different Mordo and they have a whole fight without ANY magic.  Frankly, I wished they just left Mordo out of this movie and saved him for the next movie. Use the consequences of Dr. Strange, IW/Endgame, and MoM as sort of a trial of Doctor Strange.  I'm sure that's probably where they go anyway, but it just seemed to cheapen the fight by including him here. 

The I don't knows

Pretty much agree on everything.

Spoiler

Wanda's motivation doesn't really make sense.  She was murdering so many people and willing to destroy entire worlds just to steal 2 kids from another multi-verse that she created from magic in the first place... why couldn't she just create them again?  I agree it was rushed to get her there in the beginning.  Instead, just have her become obsessed with obtaining more power because of the darkhold (spelling?).

Agree on showing more multi-verses.  A different way to do this plot:  Wanda takes America's powers without killing her then Strange and America hop through the multi-verse trying to catch Wanda, who is trying to get a darkhold and gain more power.  In each multi-verse, that universe's Strange and/or Avengers/Illuminati/SHIELD team up to stop her.  Can have more cameos, maybe Tilda Swinton's Sorcerer Supreme is alive in one,  in another it's Strange who turned evil and Kaecilius (villain from the first movie) is good, stuff like that.  Throw in some other Marvel cameos for fan service.  You could have an Iron Man suit without even needing RDJ just use a voice.  The Illuminati show up which is neat...then immediately are wiped out.  

I though they were going to do more with Wanda's from other multi-verses too.  Like the Wanda she was trying to steal from appeals to her and then ends up fighting her more.

2 hours ago, BFit said:
  Hide contents

i actually agree with most of that, but i highlighted these 2 points. first, i thought her banishing her moms because of the bee made her resisting to understand her powers reasonable. like, her powers were the source of her worst childhood memory so she just wants to pretend they dont exist. 

also, i cant agree more with wanting to see more universes. they really needed to spend more time at a few more.

oh, and i already deleted it, but the mordo thing. i think they wanted to use mordo at some point but shoe horned him here because they are probably going to get really wierd with the next strange movie. i feel like the dr strange mythos has so much wierdness and grandure that a fight between him and mordo wouldnt be enough for a movie and would end up looking more like the first movie. 

I don’t mind her accidentally banishing her Moms, in fact I agree with you that it made sense for her story. What I was more annoyed by was the cause.  If she was exploring her powers and lost control or frightened by a more menacing threat then I think it works well. But for it to be simply because a Bee landed on her was a little silly for me.

23 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Hide contents

I don’t mind her accidentally banishing her Moms, in fact I agree with you that it made sense for her story. What I was more annoyed by was the cause.  If she was exploring her powers and lost control or frightened by a more menacing threat then I think it works well. But for it to be simply because a Bee landed on her was a little silly for me.

Yes but:

Spoiler

I saw that from a child's perspective and it makes perfect sense.  Kids can get scared of bees and wasps and freak out and run around or knock things over.  We've told my son so many times not to freak out to step back it won't sting you.  It actually makes sense that she didn't know what her powers were and in fear she accidentally created it and lost her parents, and that gave her a kind of PTSD about using her powers.  Then she learned to not fear but embrace her powers (typical superhero trope) and then learn to harness the powers.

I did think it was odd that they didn't do anything else with her parents, although that would have been too much to cram in maybe.  Strange said you never know maybe you'll see them again.  Usually that kind of plot point comes full circle, like she finds her parents or something.  Surprising that she didn't seek out herself or her parents in any other multi-verse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yes but:

Hide contents

I saw that from a child's perspective and it makes perfect sense.  Kids can get scared of bees and wasps and freak out and run around or knock things over.  We've told my son so many times not to freak out to step back it won't sting you.  It actually makes sense that she didn't know what her powers were and in fear she accidentally created it and lost her parents, and that gave her a kind of PTSD about using her powers.  Then she learned to not fear but embrace her powers (typical superhero trope) and then learn to harness the powers.

I did think it was odd that they didn't do anything else with her parents, although that would have been too much to cram in maybe.  Strange said you never know maybe you'll see them again.  Usually that kind of plot point comes full circle, like she finds her parents or something.  Surprising that she didn't seek out herself or her parents in any other multi-verse.

I’ll have to go back and watch that scene again. For whatever reason I did not recall her being that young in the scene. I am probably wrong about that.

• Like 1

Just been to see Dr Strange. Thought it was pretty good. Certainly not a great movie but one of those that is probably going to pay off for the MCU in terms of what it opens up. 

Another one where I like the concept, but the CGI (if it does not get better) is going to completely take me out of the show. 

3 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Another one where I like the concept, but the CGI (if it does not get better) is going to completely take me out of the show. 

Looks interesting... Not quite sure why she doesn't hulk up to the size of Banner but there you go. 

7 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I hope and feel it's unfinished. 

Nailed it. 

One small scene highlights the problem with a lot of movie scripts:

Spoiler

Wanda busts through every metal door they shut, then they sit and wait at the last metal door instead of continuing to run away.  They are just waiting like idiots.  You know it won't stop her.  If she doesn't bust through it again, you know she's found another way and is going to pop out.  This happens in so many movies.  It's just so dumb and unnecessary.  There are better ways to use jump scares or have the characters surprised and not see something coming.  

Going to see Dr Strange today.  Read release date to Disney+  was leaked to be June 22nd.  Whatever that’s worth ?

On 5/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

The trailer is awful. She looks like a dollar store Princess Fiona from Shrek and the rest looks pretty dire. How many tables are they sat at?  Is that all She Hulk does?

5 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

The trailer is awful. She looks like a dollar store Princess Fiona from Shrek and the rest looks pretty dire. How many tables are they sat at?  Is that all She Hulk does?

I feel the CGI in the trailer is incomplete.

2 hours ago, Boogyman said:

I feel the CGI in the trailer is incomplete.

There's really no excuse for that these days.  They push back release dates for movies and shows all the time because they're not ready.  If the CGI isn't complete, they can put together a trailer that has the completed CGI in just enough scenes while they work on the complete product.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NOTW said:

There's really no excuse for that these days.  They push back release dates for movies and shows all the time because they're not ready.  If the CGI isn't complete, they can put together a trailer that has the completed CGI in just enough scenes while they work on the complete product.  

I guess. MCU puts scenes in trailers that are not even in the shows/movies though. I don't put a lot of stock in early trailers either way.

26 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I guess. MCU puts scenes in trailers that are not even in the shows/movies though. I don't put a lot of stock in early trailers either way.

Using trailer clips as red herrings is one thing, bad CGI is another.  Maybe they're getting comfortable on their pile of money thinking fans will watch whatever they put out.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Using trailer clips as red herrings is one thing, bad CGI is another.  Maybe they're getting comfortable on their pile of money thinking fans will watch whatever they put out.

Doesn't bother me. Either it's unfinished CGI and they wanted or needed to get the trailer out now, or the CGI for Shehulk is crap for some unknown reason and the show may be a bit of a dissapointment.  

18 hours ago, Boogyman said:

how much do you think that Infinity War trailer cost that showed ALLL the Avengers on screen together running towards us... including Hulk who wasn't even able to turn Hulk again after the the 10-min mark of the film. Probably spend millions just to create those "fake" scenes. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, Agent23 said:

how much do you think that Infinity War trailer cost that showed ALLL the Avengers on screen together running towards us... including Hulk who wasn't even able to turn Hulk again after the the 10-min mark of the film. Probably spend millions just to create those "fake" scenes. 

If I recall they also changed what stones Thanos had on his gauntlet at the time.  Although I’m pretty sure that was an easy fix. 

• Like 1