Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

15 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Just finished Strange and man what happened to the Marvel Movies? This wasn't good 

They were focused on blending Marvel movies with Sam Raimi horror and went for visuals and jump scares, mixed in with cameos.  But the story was lacking, and the Multiverse of Madness was really 2 universes with a one minute scene jumping through other universes that looked interesting.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

Marvel's in a slow spot right now. They ended a 15 year story and now they are rounding out old characters, introducing new ones and world building. I assume things will get going full tilt again once they really introduce the new overall arch. 

1 hour ago, BFit said:

Marvel's in a slow spot right now. They ended a 15 year story and now they are rounding out old characters, introducing new ones and world building. I assume things will get going full tilt again once they really introduce the new overall arch. 

The multi-verse has replaced Thanos and Infinity Stones (although Loki shows that Inifinity Stones are like no big deal and sitting in desk drawers).  A number of MCU products have used that tactic and that will get old real fast if that's all they've got. 

Unfortunately, Chadwick Boseman passed away, but I suspected Black Panther was going to help fill the void. Wakanda Forever hopefully will be good.  Black Panther came out 6 years ago so it's been a while waiting for it, understandably given Boseman and delays from COVID lockdowns.  Ant-Man sequel "Quantumania" will come out at some point too, plus GOTG3.  They just need some solo movies that are entertaining to get back on track.

Sony and Marvel fighting over Spidey rights hurt too.  The last Spidey ended in a way that takes him out of any connection to the other heroes...yet they've been putting Venom characters in the MCU so they can't figure out what direction they want to take.

Introducing the cameos in Multiverse of Madness wasn't epic - partly because the 2 best cameos were ruined by spoilers and the trailer showed Professor X.  So that scene was like, meh ok.  But fans have wanted a proper MCU take on the Fantastic Four and to see X-Men characters.  

This should help too

Actress Natalie Portman last week boasted that "Thor: Love and Thunder” is the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s (MCU) "gayest” film to date.

Film critic Andrew Freund asked Portman, who stars in the movie, if it is "the gayest movie ever made in the MCU?”

"I love that reading of it,” the actress responded with a smile. "Yes, I love that.”

"I mean, you’re flying on rainbows, or am I imagining it?” Freund asked.

"I mean, that is the core of the comics,” Portman argued. "I feel like that’s where it all started. It’s very true to the source material, I think.”

Freund later gushed that he "thought the movie was awesome,” adding, "and I loved how gay it was!”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

The multi-verse has replaced Thanos and Infinity Stones (although Loki shows that Inifinity Stones are like no big deal and sitting in desk drawers).  A number of MCU products have used that tactic and that will get old real fast if that's all they've got. 

Unfortunately, Chadwick Boseman passed away, but I suspected Black Panther was going to help fill the void. Wakanda Forever hopefully will be good.  Black Panther came out 6 years ago so it's been a while waiting for it, understandably given Boseman and delays from COVID lockdowns.  Ant-Man sequel "Quantumania" will come out at some point too, plus GOTG3.  They just need some solo movies that are entertaining to get back on track.

Sony and Marvel fighting over Spidey rights hurt too.  The last Spidey ended in a way that takes him out of any connection to the other heroes...yet they've been putting Venom characters in the MCU so they can't figure out what direction they want to take.

Introducing the cameos in Multiverse of Madness wasn't epic - partly because the 2 best cameos were ruined by spoilers and the trailer showed Professor X.  So that scene was like, meh ok.  But fans have wanted a proper MCU take on the Fantastic Four and to see X-Men characters.  

They need to integrate x-men sooner rather than later along with fantastic four. need bigger names and heavy hitters. 

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

thats a narrow way to think of the MCU right now. the multi-verse didnt replace thanos, its the macguffin that will introduce the next avengers level threat most likely. and the stones being inert in other universes is right out of the comics. everyone says they want good solo movies, but what drew everyone to the MCU in the first place was the connectivity of it all and how each movie added to the overarching plot. right now they are in the rebuild phase. they have to plant seeds and let them grow into the next phase. if not, then we have another DC universe. everone complained about rusing the justice league, but introducing the xmen and fantastic 4 right away would be doing the samething. 

also, spiderman is still connected to the other superheros. they all forgot peter parker, not spiderman. 

1 hour ago, BFit said:

thats a narrow way to think of the MCU right now. the multi-verse didnt replace thanos, its the macguffin that will introduce the next avengers level threat most likely. and the stones being inert in other universes is right out of the comics. everyone says they want good solo movies, but what drew everyone to the MCU in the first place was the connectivity of it all and how each movie added to the overarching plot. right now they are in the rebuild phase. they have to plant seeds and let them grow into the next phase. if not, then we have another DC universe. everone complained about rusing the justice league, but introducing the xmen and fantastic 4 right away would be doing the samething. 

also, spiderman is still connected to the other superheros. they all forgot peter parker, not spiderman. 

Yeah they are going to have connection to other characters.  So far multiple characters are appearing in shows and movies.  Strange had Wanda, Spider-man had the other Spideys and brought back Daredevil and post-credits Venom, Hawkeye had Yelena from Black Widow and Kingpin, Thor will have GOTG again, etc.  I just mean the solo movies have to be good while they wait for any other big Avengers level team ups.  If those are good standalone stories then people will enjoy them.

An alternate universe or reality has now been used in WandaVision, Spider-man, Loki, Doctor Strange and What If...? and that's just in 3 years after Endgame.  The Inifinity Stones and teases of Thanos appeared throughout the first phases.  So yes the multi-verse has replaced Infinity Stones as the setup/macguffin whatever you want to call it, it's their current go-to tactic.  I'm not complaining, just answering the other question about what now after Thanos.  The multi-verse.  That's already brought in F4 and X-Men, previous Spider-Man characters and there will be more of that.  There were heavy rumors of another actor playing Iron Man from another universe.

With Spider-Man, I don't see how he can remain connected.  It felt like they were trying to isolate him so they could go back to making solo movies.  When you think about it he's the only character in the MCU that hides his identity.  Everyone else they are just people with code names.  So how would the Avengers dial up Spider-Man to get him to help on a mission?  Did the spell change the contacts in their phone from Peter to Spider-Man?  It doesn't make sense practically.  It would have to replace their memories of how he joined the team in the first place, erase Tony recruiting and mentoring him and all of that.  They should have just undone the spell.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Yeah they are going to have connection to other characters.  So far multiple characters are appearing in shows and movies.  Strange had Wanda, Spider-man had the other Spideys and brought back Daredevil and post-credits Venom, Hawkeye had Yelena from Black Widow and Kingpin, Thor will have GOTG again, etc.  I just mean the solo movies have to be good while they wait for any other big Avengers level team ups.  If those are good standalone stories then people will enjoy them.

An alternate universe or reality has now been used in WandaVision, Spider-man, Loki, Doctor Strange and What If...? and that's just in 3 years after Endgame.  The Inifinity Stones and teases of Thanos appeared throughout the first phases.  So yes the multi-verse has replaced Infinity Stones as the setup/macguffin whatever you want to call it, it's their current go-to tactic.  I'm not complaining, just answering the other question about what now after Thanos.  The multi-verse.  That's already brought in F4 and X-Men, previous Spider-Man characters and there will be more of that.  There were heavy rumors of another actor playing Iron Man from another universe.

With Spider-Man, I don't see how he can remain connected.  It felt like they were trying to isolate him so they could go back to making solo movies.  When you think about it he's the only character in the MCU that hides his identity.  Everyone else they are just people with code names.  So how would the Avengers dial up Spider-Man to get him to help on a mission?  Did the spell change the contacts in their phone from Peter to Spider-Man?  It doesn't make sense practically.  It would have to replace their memories of how he joined the team in the first place, erase Tony recruiting and mentoring him and all of that.  They should have just undone the spell.

the spiderman thing is really just an "its magic, dont think about it too much" kind of thing. the whole no one remembering peter parker thing also makes no sense if you think about it too much. how would ned and MJ be close friends, peter is the one that brought them together. i just feel like they left the end of spiderman as "everyone still remembers and knows spiderman, no one knows peter parker."

On 7/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm buzzing for Thor, absolutely freaking buzzing.

I see tonight in the Dolby Cinema room. 

1 hour ago, BFit said:

the spiderman thing is really just an "its magic, dont think about it too much" kind of thing. the whole no one remembering peter parker thing also makes no sense if you think about it too much. how would ned and MJ be close friends, peter is the one that brought them together. i just feel like they left the end of spiderman as "everyone still remembers and knows spiderman, no one knows peter parker."

Agree, and I just think there could have been a better way to go about it an accident that breaks open the multi-verse.  They could have tied in what happened in Loki for example.  Ultimately it's as you say, the audience isn't meant to think too much about it.  

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I see tonight in the Dolby Cinema room. 

same, minus the fancy room

The movie was a combination of absurd :huh: and absurd :roll: that it managed to work. Nothing will probably ever match Ragnarok but I ultimately went in with mild expectations and left happy 

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Daredevil and Kingpin will be in the 2023 Disney+ series Echo.

https://movieweb.com/charlie-cox-and-vincent-donofrio-confirmed-to-return-in-marvel-echo/

Kingpin from Netflix, yes. Disney Kingpin nope. We don't need another lame Male lead baddie character that is about as threatening as a wet paper bag and there for the lead Female character to conquer. Disney have done that a million times already.

24 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Kingpin from Netflix, yes. Disney Kingpin nope. We don't need another lame Male lead baddie character that is about as threatening as a wet paper bag and there for the lead Female character to conquer. Disney have done that a million times already.

You know it will be the latter.  It's a series about Echo, and we don't know how much they'll be involved.  Just cameos or a one episode appearance, or more prominent?

16 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

We don't really know what the Disney Kingpin is going to be like though?

It’ll be the same D’onofrio Kingpin from Hawkeye.

22 hours ago, NOTW said:

You know it will be the latter.  It's a series about Echo, and we don't know how much they'll be involved.  Just cameos or a one episode appearance, or more prominent?

Its Disney. It's all they can do from a script perspective. My guess would be appearances over a season, getting into infiltrating his operation etc and then killing/jailing him at the end of the series.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We don't really know what the Disney Kingpin is going to be like though?

It will be the Disney Kingpin. Hawkeye was kind of meh and if we look at how they treated Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi Wan, Moon Knight etc, it's their standard story template. I'm here to be proven wrong but I wish they had more creativity.

Saw Thor Love and Thunder tonight. If you liked Ragnarok you’ll enjoy this. A couple times I thought the humor was a bit overboard but they thankfully didn’t overstep the more serious moments with jokes this time.  Also Christian Bale was excellent and I wish he was on screen more! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Saw Thor Love and Thunder tonight. If you liked Ragnarok you’ll enjoy this. A couple times I thought the humor was a bit overboard but they thankfully didn’t overstep the more serious moments with jokes this time.  Also Christian Bale was excellent and I wish he was on screen more! 

This is basically how I felt as well, overall I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Good enough that i will probably watch again at some point whenever it gets to Disney+.

Bale was awesome, pretty much the only expectation i had going in was he was going to kill it and he did

Glad to hear some of you enjoyed Love and Thunder. I desperately want to go and watch it. I've heard fairly bad reviews but I know I'm a huge fan of Hemsworth and of Waitiki so I think I'll love it. 

• Like 1

Finished Ms. Marvel last night. Opinion still the same, I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Probably the most consistent show from episode to episode. If you like the first episode or two you will like the rest. Still skews more to a younger audience, but still very enjoyable.