Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I mean in New Asgard, when Gorr attacks the town to steal the kiddos, he has Thor pinned against a car with the tip of the blade to Thor's throat. Thor gets time to fanboy over the Necromancer sword he's only every read about, instead of Gorr just impaling impaling him through the neck. I doubt Gorr took his sweet time with everyone else he killed, given that his first kill against the Giant God in the garden of not-desert was pretty swift and without warning. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah why was he so focused on Thor...

It's an old movie trope where the main characters with plot armor are given time to escape.  Modern movies should get around this more easily with a teammate interrupting to help, an explosion, etc. to at least make the villain's intent an actual threat.

It just takes a little bit of effort in the writing room to work out the motivations.  People say "it's just a comic book movie" but we're way beyond that laziness these days, especially when there are much better examples even just in the MCU alone.  Thor Ragnarok has its flaws and things you could nitpick too. But it was at least fun to watch.  It was made by the same director.  It has great re-watchability, good action and humor but also has enough seriousness and actual stakes.  This was trying way too hard to be funny and came off as cringe and silly.  The costumes and props were bad, the story wasn't interesting, Jane being a Thor was crammed in, Gorr was underused, Sif was exciting to see for a second then she was gone so what was the point of her being there,  and the movie felt boring.  By the time I saw a fat Russel Crowe with a bad haircut and a Spirit Halloween store costume it was just embarrassing to watch at that point and there was no hope for it to get any better.  Thor distributing his powers to the kids...neat, why didn't he do that against Thanos?  It was really just a mess.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

This was trying way too hard to be funny and came off as cringe and silly.  The costumes and props were bad, the story wasn't interesting, Jane being a Thor was crammed in, Gorr was underused, Sif was exciting to see for a second then she was gone so what was the point of her being there,  and the movie felt boring.  By the time I saw a fat Russel Crowe with a bad haircut and a Spirit Halloween store costume it was just embarrassing to watch at that point and there was no hope for it to get any better.  Thor distributing his powers to the kids...neat, why didn't he do that against Thanos?  It was really just a mess.

I almost felt like they weren't sure what to do with the character anymore? And as a result they felt they could open things up a little more because he's almost going down his own path? I mean I suspect he will be in another Avengers movie but I doubt he'll play a key role and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't feature again. And so as a result they have powered him up to a whole new level because they aren't worried so much about him being too powerful?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I almost felt like they weren't sure what to do with the character anymore? And as a result they felt they could open things up a little more because he's almost going down his own path? I mean I suspect he will be in another Avengers movie but I doubt he'll play a key role and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't feature again. And so as a result they have powered him up to a whole new level because they aren't worried so much about him being too powerful?

Well they have been inconsistent with Thor.

• Thor 1: has to learn how to be a hero without the hammer, become worthy and gets the hammer
  • Thor 2: doesn't want to be King anymore, post-Avengers just wants to be a hero and do the right thing.  And misses Jane
  • Thor 3: continuing to just be a hero.  Hela destroys Mjoliner, has to learn how to be a hero without the hammer (again); discovers that he has untapped power of the God of Thunder (that is actually lightning) and doesn't need the hammer after all.  
  • Infinity War: After the Thanos attack, not having the hammer actually isn't good enough and needs another weapon.  Doesn't have to be worthy, can just fly to a planet and have it made and connect to the bifrost too
  • Endgame:  Uses Stormbreaker to kill Thanos. Then gets fat and sad.  Going back in time, misses Mjoliner so he takes that to have both weapons.  
  • Thor 4: gets in shape, starts acting completely silly and now misses Jane (again), misses Mjoliner (again) and watches someone else able to yield Mjoliner (again), realizes real power doesn't come from the weapon (again) and zaps all the kids to share his powers with them

They end with him as the comedy tough guy adopting a little girl and being silly with her.  The Game Plan (The Rock), The Pacifier (Vin Diesel) and others have already done that.  But I guess what else do you do with Thor's character at this point?  

• Like 1

Thor L&T... Just watched it.

It was the final sad decent of a great character. 

Disney/Marvel  have run out of gas. It was fun for a long time but when the only thing you can do besides killing off characters is run with cheap and stupid dialog......call it quits and move on.

2 hours ago, Steve 17 said:

Thor L&T... Just watched it.

It was the final sad decent of a great character. 

Disney/Marvel  have run out of gas. It was fun for a long time but when the only thing you can do besides killing off characters is run with cheap and stupid dialog......call it quits and move on.

I fear you may be right there with the MCU. I fear it may now be running out of gas. I think this phase has tried to do a lot and tried to be different and ultimately that's not quite hit home. 

i still need to rewatch it fully, but i thought his obsession with thor was that he needed stormbreaker to get to eternity

3 hours ago, BFit said:

i still need to rewatch it fully, but i thought his obsession with thor was that he needed stormbreaker to get to eternity

Yeah the voice Gorr heard when he obtained the necrosword told him he needed the bifrost to get to Eternity. That's why he kept telling Thor to "Summon the axe" when they fought on that tiny moon planet thing.

I didn't like it much. Some of it was funny but there was an overload of cringe lines and scenes. I can handle a few in this type of movie (such as in ragnorok) but this movie was overloaded with it. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i thought the movie was ok. would be top 3 in dc.

Agree about the DC part lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BFit said:

But he could kill Thor and take stormbreaker? He had the chance to do that in New Asguard at the beginning but he went for the slow convenient kill scene.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he could kill Thor and take stormbreaker? He had the chance to do that in New Asguard at the beginning but he went for the slow convenient kill scene.

i wasnt sure if he had storm breaker in his hand then or not. could have been waiting for him to summon it. 

Just now, BFit said:

i wasnt sure if he had storm breaker in his hand then or not. could have been waiting for him to summon it. 

He does have stormbreaker. Because seconds later he goes all white eyed Thor when he says "don't touch my things".

Thor 4 wasn’t the best, but I did crack up when he was pining for Mojilner and Stormbreaker comes into frame over his shoulder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Marketing for She-Hulk having the opposite effect, makes you not want to watch.

Watched the first one...... no thanks...... I would just chuck that idea away with ms marvel...... that show I couldnt even finish the first episode.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:29 AM, homerpat said:

Thor 4 wasn’t the best, but I did crack up when he was pining for Mojilner and Stormbreaker comes into frame over his shoulder. 

Yeah that bit got me. But I did think they overplayed the whole pining for thing. It became a little much and a little forced. 

Re-watching the MCU with my son, his first time seeing them. Steve:

Cap 1: curses

Avengers: curses

Cap 2: curses

Ultron: "language!"

49 minutes ago, BFit said:

giphy.gif.7b720fa34c723cc61df870d2c955a0c0.gif

He hasn't been in the MCU... yet.  His movies were made under 20th Century Fox before Disney bought them.

• 2 weeks later...

they 100% will do the comic suit for this, right? like theres no way he gets out of this movie without doing the yellow suit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BFit said:

they 100% will do the comic suit for this, right? like theres no way he gets out of this movie without doing the yellow suit. 

100% there's no way Ryan Reynolds enters the MCU without that being guaranteed to him that Hugh will wear the yellow suit. Even if it's to mock him. 

• Like 1