Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Featured Replies

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup. 

 

But I do look forward to hearing the truth come out.  This dumpster fire didnt happen overnight.  It started on Feb 5, 2018... everyone seemed to think that they were the most important one, or they were the one most responsible.

What's weird is, it's players that normally get like that, not gms and owners.

  • Replies 66.6k
  • Views 3.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Know Life
    Know Life

    I turned 38 today and have lost 52lbs since February. I’m very rarely ever proud of myself, but I’m feeling pretty proud today and thought I’d share. Carry on.

  • At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays.  BOOOOOOOOM

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Only see him trading back in the top 10 for one of 2 guys fall, Pitts or Chase. Or the dark horse is Surtain if they love him and think Dallas will take him. I dont buy  the QB pick as one guy thinks or anyone else. 

Same. Pitts or Chase is the only reason to move back up, I wouldnt even put Surtain up there. I think if they go corner (which I would like) they will be able to chose from Horn or Surtain, and happily take whichever one is left is one gets drafted

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Well, Indy has done pretty well with an over the hill speed guy (Hilton) big WRs with average speed (Pittman, Pascal), a journeyman type TE (Doyle) and a project TE (Alie-Cox).

Wouldn't surprise me if Sirianni got more out of our current receivers than Doug has the last few years, Indy actually schemes players open.

We'll add at least one weapon, but I don't think Sirianni may feel the need to use a high pick on one given his Indy/SD experience.

Doug inherited Chip’s schemes to get a receiver open. And Chip inherited some of ARs. Seemed like post SB, Doug abandoned the Mesh (remember the hive five on the Mesh play, it was beautiful), was so slow in calling plays that he completely misused motion and disguise, although I suspect Carson and his kills were part of that too, and it seemed that the WRs were not running routes that got others open.  
 

There also seemed to be a complete misuse of WRs.  Hightower runs slick routes and has a nice change of pace move.  He is perfect for slant routes.  He is a body catcher so if Hurts can throw the middle of the field, I would love to see a Mesh with Fulgham or Goedert with him or a double slant with Reagor or Watkins with Hightower. Watkins on fly patterns and posts. Reagor can run pretty much all routes but can use help in getting separation some times. I suspect Ward is much better with help getting separation and Fulgham too.  While JJAW looks a bit like a one trick pony, I think he can be that help and he can post up.  He needs to learn to stick and turn in a single step.  And catch the ball when it comes to him.  He may well be toast. Lot of journeyman talent at WR and upgrades are possible everywhere, including WRs taking the next step. 

29 minutes ago, downundermike said:

 

don't know what the hell he is spouting off at , but i want the team to get a 1st next year 

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Thanks for the link. NDIrish was one of my favorite posters on the Blog, back in the day. I'm sure he's right about Surtain. College rules are much more permissive for DBs. I wish the pros would adopt that approach. Until the ball's in the air you can be handsy; there's no five-yard limit. And PI is only 15 yards max.

Of course you get handsy.

You can hand check some in the NFL but it is a hand check (incidental contact) and if you watch Surtain, it is a hand check (put your hand on and off the other player, touching but not impeding progress). I think what Surtain does is allowed most times in the NFL   Some of the best CBs in the league hand check.  Now WRs have become like soccer players with their demands for flags when there was no PI but some hand checking. Problem with hand checking is getting into an arm as it is raised. Best hand checkers check the hips and side of the back. Surtain does a good job with that, I think.  Hands not grabby. Like you, I prefer the college rules. Better game, IMHO.  Asante Samuel Sr. Was very good at using a hand check when he snuck a peak at the QB.  Such fluid hips. Son has those hips. 

38 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Read in the responses. He alludes to more info coming out soon

JEFF LURIE TOLD HIM TO THROW A LOT OF INTERCEPTIONS!!! I knew it!!  

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

I love Smith, he will be the exception to the slight WR, imo. I like Waddle  a lot as well. 

I think Smith is a gamble.  I may be wrong but the Eagles cannot take that gamble, IMHO.  Waddle is potentially a great slot WR.  But like I said, this is an extremely deep draft at slot and with so many needs, I think slot is down far enough.  Reagor at X and Waddle at Z in two WR sets seems a bit lacking in height but maybe could work. I would be disappointed at Smith as a choice.  I would be more accepting of Waddle as a choice.  If Horn and Surtain are gone, with reluctance because of Farley’s second back surgery, I am fine on going elsewhere than CB at 12. 

49 minutes ago, austinfan said:

 

I keep going back to Stoutland, he had a lot of influence, which was a good thing, because he was competent when it came to judging personnel. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other coach in the old regime that you could say that about.

Peelle   He seemed to work out TEs that did well, not only with the Eagles. 

 

57 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That's an oddly worded tweet. I'm guessing he did something charitable for the recent Indy mass shooting?

Edit: nvm. Didn't see the date.

 

Imagine being a grown ass man using the word "juicy."

You can draft plenty of good skill people from the second to the fourth round.

Active receiving leaders (only those since 2010, given the changes in rules, etc) so we eliminate one or two year wonders - 6000+ yards:

PS:  notice all the TEs, guess they're more important than people realize to passing offenses?

J Jones #4

A Brown #195

Hopkins #27

D Thomas #22

AJ Green #4

Hilton #92

Olsen TE #31

Sanders #82

Gronkowski TE #42

Graham TE #95

Tate #60

Evans #7

Kelce TE #63

Dez #24

Allen #76

Landry #63

Cooks #20

Beckham #12

Cobb #64

Jeffrey #45

Adams #53

Baldwin UDFA

Woods #41

Cooper #4

Diggs #146

Ertz TE #35

M Jones #166

 

  • Author
57 minutes ago, TEW said:

Strongly disagree with this.

I think Howie traded back because the value of a future first was simply overwhelming relative the drop off in talent from their 6th highest rated player to the 12th highest rated player.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t value someone greatly at #6. And if you can maneuver back up by giving away only a 3rd rounder, that’s a massive value win.

If they do use the 3rd from the Colts to trade to #9 AND get a player they would have likely picked at #6, THEN the two trades basically distill down to...

Wentz for the Dolphins first in 2021, the Colts conditional second in 2021, and moving from #156 -> #123 this year.

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If they do use the 3rd from the Colts to trade to #9 AND get a player they would have likely picked at #6, THEN the two trades basically distill down to...

Wentz for the Dolphins first in 2021, the Colts conditional second in 2021, and moving from #156 -> #123 this year.

That works 

21 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

JEFF LURIE TOLD HIM TO THROW A LOT OF INTERCEPTIONS!!! I knew it!!  

Dont forget Lurie told Wentz to fumble at least once a game and hold the ball for as long as you can.

If Wentz has a grievance, it should be Doug and his awful play calling in 2020 that hung him out to dry.

Drafting Chinn instead of Hurts would have had zero impact on Wentz's performance.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Dont forget Lurie told Wentz to fumble at least once a game and hold the ball for as long as you can.

You're right, he should have told him to duck and run every play, like Hurts. 

Who the hell is Mike Materacky? 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Who the hell is Mike Materacky? 

I'm not a reporter nor do I claim to be. I do, however, get a few juicy nuggets from time to time. Take it for what it's worth. Have fun with it... or don't. Up to you.
 
Person shrugging

There will be no "juicy” details that come out that will absolve Lurie, Howie, Doug or Carson of blame. They all played a huge hand in it.

2 minutes ago, greend said:
I'm not a reporter nor do I claim to be. I do, however, get a few juicy nuggets from time to time. Take it for what it's worth. Have fun with it... or don't. Up to you.
 
Person shrugging

I’ve made my decision. I will neither take it for what it’s worth nor have fun with it. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Who the hell is Mike Materacky? 

Appears to be some fanboy in his 40's still stuck in his 20's

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup. 

 

But I do look forward to hearing the truth come out.  This dumpster fire didnt happen overnight.  It started on Feb 5, 2018... everyone seemed to think that they were the most important one, or they were the one most responsible.

I have some problems buying the level of dysfunction being postulated. Barwin, Celek and Sproles all came back to work in the front office.  Weidl hired his son.  Douglas and Weidl came here from successful positions at the Ravens.  Barry and Douglas got promoted as GMs for their work here.  (You know, I dislike Howie and think him a failure as a GM, so this isn’t a defense of him).  

I do believe Doug failed.  His QB, who may have his own maturity issues, didn’t speak with him for half a season.  Doug doesn’t speak himself.  He seems an enabler.  He seems a bad manager.  He seems an awful mix with Mr. Consensus.  Schwartz probably hated the lack of attention to assets for his D and got no,voice through Doug.   I think that area is where the dysfunction is most prevalent and that area seems fixed. Next up is the Howie cure. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Appears to be some fanboy in his 40's still stuck in his 20's

Go somewhere else for news and analysis. For all the "juicy" details? Call Mike.

24 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Imagine being a grown ass man using the word "juicy."

Well, he does refer to himself as Big Mikey Smallz. 

26 minutes ago, austinfan said:

You can draft plenty of good skill people from the second to the fourth round.

You can also draft bad skill people from the second to the fourth.  Heck,  you can draft bad skill people in the first.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside ( # 57 )

Mack Hollins ( # 118 )

Donnel Pumphrey ( #132 )

Josh Huff ( # 86 )

 

24 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

There will be no "juicy” details that come out that will absolve Lurie, Howie, Doug or Carson of blame. They all played a huge hand in it.

I’ve made my decision. I will neither take it for what it’s worth nor have fun with it. 

Yeah, he had me going for a minute

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.