Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Featured Replies

10 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

And that is it.  You'd hope a 25+ year owner of a team that loves getting into the details would know and understand that right?

Sometimes some people just don't get it.... Ever. He should stick to producing movies. 

  • Replies 66.6k
  • Views 3.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Know Life
    Know Life

    I turned 38 today and have lost 52lbs since February. I’m very rarely ever proud of myself, but I’m feeling pretty proud today and thought I’d share. Carry on.

  • At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays.  BOOOOOOOOM

Posted Images

Let's go back to the year 2000 and look at DL drafted by the Eagles in round 1.  For a team that has spent 45% of their 1st pick on a DL, I would say Fletcher Cox is the ONLY pick who's been worth his value.  BG has been a great Eagle, we all love him but I've stated my case about his value in plenty of posts.

This is a team that takes pride in building from the lines out.  The results they get from spending their 1st round pick/1st pick in the draft are pretty abysmal.  

 

2000 pick 6- Corey Simon  (2 picks ahead of Brian Urlacher). I know URLACHERZZZ but at DT at pick 6 had better be the next John Randle or Aaron Donald.

2003 pck 15- Jerome McDougle 

2005 pick 31- Mike Patterson 

2006 pick 14- Brodrick Bunkley 

2008 pick 47- Trevor Laws  (no first round pick but Laws was their 1st player drafted)

2010 pick 13- Brandon Graham 

2012 pick 12- Fletcher Cox 

2014 pick 26- Marcus Smith

2017 pick 14- Derek Barnett

 

The tone in here has been so negative the past couple of weeks I'd be willing to bet if I did a tally immediately after the draft of folks who have ANYTHING good to say about the Eagles draft, and those who have NOTHING good to say about it -- the majority will be the nothing camp ..... 

Regardless of who the Eagles draft.

Some other interesting tidbits from the podcast...

* The sources said Lurie was a really good guy and puts in the work, but they wish he wasn’t so involved. 

* Multiple sources worked at other places and said the office politics was worse in Philly than anywhere else. 

* Doug was a good dude who didn’t want to be the bad guy in the building. Loyal to a fault. Had good relationships but his with Wentz deteriorated (obviously). 

* They felt the dysfunction was mostly due to bad relationships and communication. There is no transparency. 

10 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Which Russian revolution, the first or the Bolshevik one?

It covers both. It actually starts with a historical background on Russia, an overview of Marxist political theory at the time and starts the real history part starting with Alexander II.  The podcast is called Revolutions by Mike Duncan.  The podcast covers Western/European Revolutions starting with the English Revolution through this last series on the Russian Revolution.  It's been ongoing since 2013.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Duncan_(podcaster) 

12 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The tone in here has been so negative the past couple of weeks I'd be willing to bet if I did a tally immediately after the draft of folks who have ANYTHING good to say about the Eagles draft, and those who have NOTHING good to say about it -- the majority will be the nothing camp ..... 

Regardless of who the Eagles draft.

Eh.  I think it's negative for a reason.  I know my feelings towards the Eagles as of late have been very down.  So much goes in to how you feel about this team.

1st, we had excitement of being at pick 6 only to be argued with well if we don't tie the Bengals we have pick 3 instead.

Followed by looking at the prospects we could be picking from at 6.  Potentially Chase, Pitts, Sewell or even a top rated QB if the board falls right.  But then you realize who is running our draft board and what picks has Howie done right.

The hype for the Eagles and an elite talent grows....trade back to 12 behind Dallas and NYG.  BUT we might have THREE 2022 1st round picks which is awesome....only to then be thrown rumors that now the Eagles have ammo to trade 3 1sts for Wilson or Watson.

No longer is there a clear cut, elite must have talent.  We've gone from Chase/Pitts/Sewell to Kwitty Paye and Christian Barmore or even trading back more.

Then the reports of further dysfunction in the Eagles FO and the complete mess they are.

It's honestly just hard to get excited about anything Eagles related as of late.  I'm trying my best to have a positive outlook and hope the Eagles come away with a seriously good draft haul but looking at the draft record of Howie, I just have no faith in him to do the right thing.

 

Help me out, and I'm being serious.  What are the positive things with the organization we can talk about?  

34 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

21st isn't "almost dead last". That said I agree that he's not very good

25 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

The tone in here has been so negative the past couple of weeks I'd be willing to bet if I did a tally immediately after the draft of folks who have ANYTHING good to say about the Eagles draft, and those who have NOTHING good to say about it -- the majority will be the nothing camp ..... 

Regardless of who the Eagles draft.

This is bogus imo. The attitude is negative on that we agree. If there is a good draft though, people in here won't say it's bad just because.

1 minute ago, greend said:

21st isn't "almost dead last". That said I agree that he's not very good

They only ranked 23 and ignored rookie GMs.

39 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

I sense a long list of names coming from Afan...

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Eh.  I think it's negative for a reason.  I know my feelings towards the Eagles as of late have been very down.  So much goes in to how you feel about this team.

1st, we had excitement of being at pick 6 only to be argued with well if we don't tie the Bengals we have pick 3 instead.

Followed by looking at the prospects we could be picking from at 6.  Potentially Chase, Pitts, Sewell or even a top rated QB if the board falls right.  But then you realize who is running our draft board and what picks has Howie done right.

The hype for the Eagles and an elite talent grows....trade back to 12 behind Dallas and NYG.  BUT we might have THREE 2022 1st round picks which is awesome....only to then be thrown rumors that now the Eagles have ammo to trade 3 1sts for Wilson or Watson.

No longer is there a clear cut, elite must have talent.  We've gone from Chase/Pitts/Sewell to Kwitty Paye and Christian Barmore or even trading back more.

Then the reports of further dysfunction in the Eagles FO and the complete mess they are.

It's honestly just hard to get excited about anything Eagles related as of late.  I'm trying my best to have a positive outlook and hope the Eagles come away with a seriously good draft haul but looking at the draft record of Howie, I just have no faith in him to do the right thing.

 

Help me out, and I'm being serious.  What are the positive things with the organization we can talk about?  

Should Howie be reassigned?  Of course -- but he's not going to be getting fired by Lurie; people need to get past it.  The Eagles are likely 2 years away from reassigning him.  

I couldn't care less about drafting behind DAL and NYG; they don't have the same needs as the Eagles do.  The Eagles need WR and CB, among everything else -- but the value at #12 is WR and CB.  The Giants have built their secondary and acquired numerous pass catchers in FA.  DAL has more than enough targets.  Both of those teams need big grunts on the OL and DL.  If they don't fill those needs, then that helps the Eagles out.

People whining because they think the Eagles could have had the #3 pick need to STFU -- they sound like Jets fans whining about not going 0-16.

Of course there is clear cut talent at #12 -- you go ahead and do a mock simulation for me where the Eagles don't have one of Horn/Surtain/Waddle/Smith/Parsons on the board.  Any one of those players is a vast improvement over what the Eagles currently have.  Lamb fell to #17 last year; there's no way to be certain Chase or Pitts won't be there at #12

Doug and Schwartz are gone, win now is gone, we're back to 2012-13, build through the draft. And those were Howie's best drafts. And I'm sure he knows that.

Lurie's point about them identifying the "right players" was about the scouting group's evaluation. The problem wasn't the scouting, but the dysfunction with the personnel group and the coaches, and Howie not stamping on the coaches (then we'd have gotten the stories how he didn't give his coaches the players to get back to the SB).

For example, the focus on DL, do you thing that was Howie or Schwartz?

I'm interested in seeing how Sirianni and his coaches change the dynamics in the draft room, they're far more development oriented (lots of coaches with hands on position experience), and no pressure to win now. So I would suspect they'll cooperate and defer to the personnel group, focus on talent, not need or NFL readiness. BPA will be the order of the day.

They'll also have different priorities, while Gannon runs a 4-3, if he follows his two DCs, he'll put more emphasis on 3 down LBs and big press CBs.

Sirianni likes big WRs, the running game, receivers who can get YAC, whether through elusiveness or power. Goodbye Ertz.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Of course there is clear cut talent at #12 -- you go ahead and do a mock simulation for me where the Eagles don't have one of Horn/Surtain/Waddle/Smith/Parsons on the board.  Any one of those players is a vast improvement over what the Eagles currently have.  Lamb fell to #17 last year; there's no way to be certain Chase or Pitts won't be there at #12

And what happens when those guys are on the board at 12 and the Eagles take Barmore?  There's a lot of smoke going up around him and the Eagles right now.  

That's why it's so easy to be negative.   You look at the Eagles track record of drafting and trends they seem to follow.  Barmore is JUST the kind of pick the Eagles would make even with that talent on the board.

Trust me, I want to be excited about the Eagles, I want fun things to talk about and exciting prospects but if you look at what they do and how they've done things, nothing points to them taking the obvious clear cut talent.  

13 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

They only ranked 23 and ignored rookie GMs.

I guess I missed that :roll:. Well then okay Howie sucks

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Given the current situation of the team and assets for the 2022 draft?  No.  I build the lines and the secondary and see what I have in Hurts.  If he seems like the the guy long term then we have the ammo to go after the next big thing at WR in 2022.  If he isn’t then we have the ammo to go after the next big thing at QB.  

I would be on the fence. I have very low expectations on Hurts and if we bite now we can use those assets to start building the team around him. But I could go either way I guess

18 minutes ago, greend said:

This is bogus imo. The attitude is negative on that we agree. If there is a good draft though, people in here won't say it's bad just because.

Barmore in round one will be ripped in here, that's for sure. 

12 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Doug and Schwartz are gone, win now is gone, we're back to 2012-13, build through the draft. And those were Howie's best drafts. And I'm sure he knows that.

Lurie's point about them identifying the "right players" was about the scouting group's evaluation. The problem wasn't the scouting, but the dysfunction with the personnel group and the coaches, and Howie not stamping on the coaches (then we'd have gotten the stories how he didn't give his coaches the players to get back to the SB).

For example, the focus on DL, do you thing that was Howie or Schwartz?

I'm interested in seeing how Sirianni and his coaches change the dynamics in the draft room, they're far more development oriented (lots of coaches with hands on position experience), and no pressure to win now. So I would suspect they'll cooperate and defer to the personnel group, focus on talent, not need or NFL readiness. BPA will be the order of the day.

They'll also have different priorities, while Gannon runs a 4-3, if he follows his two DCs, he'll put more emphasis on 3 down LBs and big press CBs.

Sirianni likes big WRs, the running game, receivers who can get YAC, whether through elusiveness or power. Goodbye Ertz.

Who wouldn’t want 3 down backers in today’s NFL , you think teams head into draft saying we need to land a 2 down backer ?

  • Author

 

41 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Let's go back to the year 2000 and look at DL drafted by the Eagles in round 1.  For a team that has spent 45% of their 1st pick on a DL, I would say Fletcher Cox is the ONLY pick who's been worth his value.  BG has been a great Eagle, we all love him but I've stated my case about his value in plenty of posts.

This is a team that takes pride in building from the lines out.  The results they get from spending their 1st round pick/1st pick in the draft are pretty abysmal.  

 

2000 pick 6- Corey Simon  (2 picks ahead of Brian Urlacher). I know URLACHERZZZ but at DT at pick 6 had better be the next John Randle or Aaron Donald.

Was very good for four seasons and made the pro bowl.  Then the wheels fell off.  Not that dissimilar to Shawn Andrews' career.

2003 pck 15- Jerome McDougle 

The dude was shot.

2005 pick 31- Mike Patterson 

Solid production from a late first-round pick.

2006 pick 14- Brodrick Bunkley 

Like Simon, briefly played to his potential in '07/'08, before injuries got him.

2008 pick 47- Trevor Laws  (no first round pick but Laws was their 1st player drafted)

Yes, we missed on a mid second-round pick.

2010 pick 13- Brandon Graham 

You'll see his number in the Linc's ring of honor.

2012 pick 12- Fletcher Cox 

You may see his bust in Canton.

2014 pick 26- Marcus Smith

Yeah....total screw up.

2017 pick 14- Derek Barnett

Playing about a half a round below where he was chosen.

 

It important when you put together a team's draft scorecard that you provide league-wide context.  Need to consider how well other teams do with their first round DL picks before drawing a conclusion.

24 minutes ago, greend said:

This is bogus imo. The attitude is negative on that we agree. If there is a good draft though, people in here won't say it's bad just because.

There will be some.  Like those who hate the trade down, just because,  which was a nice move. 

1 hour ago, greend said:

There is no "normal greend". That said none of that surprises me.

I’m creating my clone as we speak. "Sassy greend”.

  • Author
Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I’m creating my clone as we speak. "Sassy greend”.

The greend girls?

th?id=OIP.PxtBgnlhPi6-vGtt2Lt5ggHaJF&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

There will be some.  Like those who hate the trade down, just because,  which was a nice move. 

There is always some

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The greend girls?

th?id=OIP.PxtBgnlhPi6-vGtt2Lt5ggHaJF&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Heart attack waiting to happen

21 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

And what happens when those guys are on the board at 12 and the Eagles take Barmore?  There's a lot of smoke going up around him and the Eagles right now.  

That's why it's so easy to be negative.   You look at the Eagles track record of drafting and trends they seem to follow.  Barmore is JUST the kind of pick the Eagles would make even with that talent on the board.

Trust me, I want to be excited about the Eagles, I want fun things to talk about and exciting prospects but if you look at what they do and how they've done things, nothing points to them taking the obvious clear cut talent.  

There’s not a lot of smoke around Barmore to the Eagles.  Was Gannon at his pro day?  Did Gannon talk to him or meet with him at any point in the process thus far?  
 

One guy did a mock and had him at #12 to the Eagles.  Virtually every other mock draft I’ve seen has the Eagles taking Surtain, Horn, Smith or Waddle 

"A lot of teams have been talking about first and second down having me go sideline to sideline and on third down having me go get the quarterback. So, I think I'm going to walk into a great position."

Quote from Parsons.  Not sure if that means him playing DE or simply blitziing from the LB position but his versatility is what makes him so good.  He would be the best DE in this draft also which is why I think he has to be the pick if available at 12

 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.