EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I think what rubs many the wrong way with Roseman is his hubris. Instead of saying (I paraphrase), "Hey, everyone said it would take 5 years to rebuild and I did it it in one," he should have said, "Things did not go as planned over the last three years. As the GM, I take responsibility for that. We think we have turned the corner with the last draft. I look forward to see how our young staff and players develop next season."

That sounds good but it's 90% about the results. If they were winning no one would care what he said. And saying the right thing when you're losing might buy you a little time but not that much really. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

There’s a difference between not liking where we are but seeing a lot of light not far ahead vs  taking an Eeyore approach to everything. 

yes, this team - and Howie specifically -  crapped the bed in many ways. But I happen to like a lot of the fixes we’ve seen this off-season. It is possible to play the middle - have some things you don’t like and some things you do. 

id call sitting on either side - all positive or all negative - equally disingenuous. 

I would feel a lot better if they made a clean sweep.  New coaching staff is great, but Howie was as much responsible for this mess as them, and frankly, since he's the GM... the buck stops with him.   Or, at least come out and take responsibility for the failure.

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

That sounds good but it's 90% about the results. If they were winning no one would care what he said. And saying the right thing when you're losing might buy you a little time but not that much really. 

With Lurie, it seems to buy a lot of time.

9 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I think what rubs many the wrong way with Roseman is his hubris. Instead of saying (I paraphrase), "Hey, everyone said it would take 5 years to rebuild and I did it it in one," he should have said, "Things did not go as planned over the last three years. As the GM, I take responsibility for that. We think we have turned the corner with the last draft. I look forward to see how our young staff and players develop next season."

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what he said. People just hate Howie.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

What? lol?

Because I said I think Smith is going to get hurt because of his size. LOL the Reason why he was the 3rd WR picked lol 

I dont think teams avoided drafting smith earlier because fear of him getting hurt because of his size I think it was more teams were worried his size would limit his effectiveness against nfl corners.

Still there were at least two teams willing to draft him top 12 no?

Any receiver can get hurt from contact or non contact  no matter their size. 

Look at AJ green Mike Evans and Julio.

All bigger receivers all struggled with injury last few years.

Smith was durable in college, his one injury was a hand that didn't have much to do with weighing 165 pounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Smith misses a game or two, most NFL players do, it's a rough game. 

Hopefully he can stay relatively healthy.

The only way this makes sense with Howie is if he’s been giving up control as the team improves. 

Would explain what happened with both Chip and Doug now. 

I’m putting Kenneth Gainwell down for 750 combined rushing/receiving yards next season.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

With Lurie, it seems to buy a lot of time.

I've been bashing Howie for almost 10 years off and on.  Never thought he was a good drafter.  But I think the thinking that Lurie has infinite patience with him is overblown.  First he essentially fired him as GM once when Chip was here.  Second Howie literally helped them win the SB 3 years ago with universally acknowledged great moves.  So while I do think Howie should have been fired this offseason I don't think it's fair to say Lurie has stuck with him for years when he shouldn't have.  It's basically just this one year as of now. If this draft stinks and he doesn't get fired next offseason then it's much more clear cut and worse imo

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

This is HUGE TO ME! The only two teams that wanted Smith were us and the Giants. If that's not a ridiculous ref flag I dont know what is 

Lol are you sniffing glue again ???

I'm pretty sure there were more than 2 teams that wanted Smith, it's not like if the eagles or giants didn't draft him he'd drop out of the first.

Get a grip.

57 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

riight.gif.c490b22322f86ff2a0e8fd059dfd743e.gif

Just now, Couch Potato said:

riight.gif.c490b22322f86ff2a0e8fd059dfd743e.gif

I listened to it and he kinda sorts indirectly implied it when forced but never directly said it.  I don't know that he would if directly asked. 

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

I've been bashing Howie for almost 10 years off and on.  Never thought he was a good drafter.  But I think the thinking that Lurie has infinite patience with him is overblown.  First he essentially fired him as GM once when Chip was here.  Second Howie literally helped them win the SB 3 years ago with universally acknowledged great moves.  So while I do think Howie should have been fired this offseason I don't think it's fair to say Lurie has stuck with him for years when he shouldn't have.  It's basically just this one year as of now. If this draft stinks and he doesn't get fired next offseason then it's much more clear cut and worse imo

He was put in the closet for one year, basically with the promise that when Chip fell flat on his face (which he did0, that he'd be brought back... which is why he went on that fact finding tour to seek out other GMs and other philosophies during that year.    It was almost a sabbatical year for Howie, as opposed to a firing.

I like Gainwell I think he can be a weapon in the passing game and I think people are discounting that Siriani didn't just use 2 backs and that RBs caught a lot of passes in that offense because the WRs and TEs we're average at best.

I imagine boston scott will still get touches and possibly Huntley who had 2 seasons in college with 40 plus receptions And another with 39.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He was put in the closet for one year, basically with the promise that when Chip fell flat on his face (which he did0, that he'd be brought back... which is why he went on that fact finding tour to seek out other GMs and other philosophies during that year.    It was almost a sabbatical year for Howie, as opposed to a firing.

That's fair but he was stripped of his power with the possibility of never re-gaining it.

14 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

This is HUGE TO ME! The only two teams that wanted Smith were us and the Giants. If that's not a ridiculous ref flag I dont know what is 

Yup.  The Jags, Jets, Niners, Falcons, and Bengals all passed on Smith because of his size.

17 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Oh right OK. So Jacksonville didn't want him? NY didn't want him? SF didn't want him? We absolutely categorically know that they had no interest in him at all?

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I listened to it and he kinda sorts indirectly implied it when forced but never directly said it.  I don't know that he would if directly asked. 

Call me cynical, but even from over 3000 miles away I can see that they wanted to trade up to 9 to get in front of Dallas for Surtain. They just (quite rightly) baulked at giving up pick #37 to do so. 

Once Surtain was off the board, Plan B was to trade up in front of the Giants for Smith. Understandably they paid the premium of pick #84 to do so.

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I like Gainwell I think he can be a weapon in the passing game and I think people are discounting that Siriani didn't just use 2 backs and that RBs caught a lot of passes in that offense because the WRs and TEs we're average at best.

I imagine boston scott will still get touches and possibly Huntley who had 2 seasons in college with 40 plus receptions And another with 39.

I like Gainwell a lot but I'd take the under on any of these bets.  He's still a rookie.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Gainwell will not have 75 receptions over 17 games much less 16.  And yes, Smith will get injured.  I'll take that bet.  Any bet.  Bring it.  

Honestly it’s less about smith and more the eagles since 2017 with their draft picks in the first three rounds have seemingly seen them get hurt over their rookie contracts. 

barnett— shoulder 

Jones— Achilles/other minor injuries like hammy

douglas— stayed relatively healthy 

goedert— calf injury and fractured ankle 

(could add maddox here but he went fourth round)

Dillard— bicep 

sanders— nagging injuries which lead to missing some games

JJAW— mainly healthy had "a foot issue” rookie season 

Reagor— ucl tear and dislocated shoulder 

hurts— stayed healthy through 1 year

taylor— knee injury 

"We are at pick 71, and we have two guys, two defensive linemen, and they are different flavors,” Roseman said. "One is a three-technique, and one is more of a nose tackle. Obviously, when you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors. Carolina calls, and they are picking two picks behind us, and (Carolina general manager) Scott Fitterer says, ‘Hey Howie, do you want to drop down two picks for our top of the sixth round pick.’ I said that he had to tell me offense or defense, and he said he was taking an offensive player. So we know we are getting one of these two guys. When we talk to our coaches about their fit and their role, they are excited about these two guys. One of them goes, and then we take Milton Williams.”

Just now, Couch Potato said:

Call me cynical, but even from over 3000 miles away I can see that they wanted to trade up to 9 to get in front of Dallas for Surtain. They just (quite rightly) baulked at giving up pick #37 to do so. 

Once Surtain was off the board, Plan B was to trade up in front of the Giants for Smith. Understandably they paid the premium of pick #84 to do so.

Yes that's my read as well.

24 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Does anyone like Belichick?

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

"We are at pick 71, and we have two guys, two defensive linemen, and they are different flavors,” Roseman said. "One is a three-technique, and one is more of a nose tackle. Obviously, when you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors. Carolina calls, and they are picking two picks behind us, and (Carolina general manager) Scott Fitterer says, ‘Hey Howie, do you want to drop down two picks for our top of the sixth round pick.’ I said that he had to tell me offense or defense, and he said he was taking an offensive player. So we know we are getting one of these two guys. When we talk to our coaches about their fit and their role, they are excited about these two guys. One of them goes, and then we take Milton Williams.”

I mean he's completely right.  A 3T is much more important than a nose.  

7 minutes ago, Utebird said:

We should be able to do better than Huntley.  I see a purge of the Doug/Schwartz projects.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

So which was chocolate and which was vanilla? 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I get it and agree with the tactic. But he dropped THREE spots.  Who was the third guy that had to have been similarly rated for that deal to make sense?

Archived