EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We should be able to do better than Huntley.  I see a purge of the Doug/Schwartz projects.

I kind of view the backfield the way the colts had it after marlon Mack got hurt last year  

sanders is going to be your Taylor 

howard is your Wilkins 

gainwell is your hines 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I get it and agree with the tactic. But he dropped THREE spots.  Who was the third guy that had to have been similarly rated for that deal to make sense?

Well spotted, you beat me to it!

Howie spinnin' those yarns again

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I kind of view the backfield the way the colts had it after marlon Mack got hurt last year  

howard is your Wilkins 

gainwell is your hines 

What about Killins?

howard is your Wilkins 

gainwell is your hines 

You have faith they're gonna start using Howard again? Need a power back actually getting snaps in this offense.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

What about Killins?

Kind feels like scott and killins battling it out to be the 4th back. I tend to believe they lean Scott. Feel like killins might be on the practice squad 

10 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

riight.gif.c490b22322f86ff2a0e8fd059dfd743e.gif

I believe that, honestly.   Howie screwed up WR so bad for the last 3 years, he had to get it right this year.    I think Surtain was the backup plan at 12.   Howie is all about fixing past errors at all costs.  

1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

You have faith they're gonna start using Howard again? Need a power back actually getting snaps in this offense.

They really didn’t use Wilkins all that much after Taylor got going. But they did use Wilkins at times to close out games or tough yardage before Taylor finally got going the end of the year. Frankly listening to caplan and mosher yesterday stating they were told that Howard is the main backup unless he’s awful in camp. 

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I get it and agree with the tactic. But he dropped THREE spots.  Who was the third guy that had to have been similarly rated for that deal to make sense?

I noticed that math as well. They talked about moving into rd 3 for Zech.  I wonder if it was him.  Hopefully, makes me feel better :roll:

Just now, Couch Potato said:

Well spotted, you beat me to it!

Howie spinnin' those yarns again

I don't think Howie is being disingenuous.  I think he is trying to simplify the narrative for the audience.  But still, the audience in this blog would like the complete story.

14 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

That's fair but he was stripped of his power with the possibility of never re-gaining it.

I guess that depends on how much you believe that they actually respected Chip.   Chip just had back to back 10 win seasons.  Hard to remove, but I believe that the writing was on the wall inside the Nova Care of his inability to work and play well with others (but especially Howie).   I think Lurie's plan was to give him enough rope to hang himself with... and he did just that.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Kind feels like scott and killins battling it out to be the 4th back. I tend to believe they lean Scott. Feel like killins might be on the practice squad 

Wrong. 

Correct answer is we convert him to WR and he becomes our TY Hiltonz

They really didn’t use Wilkins all that much after Taylor got going. Frankly listening to caplan and mosher yesterday stating they were told that Howard is the main backup unless he’s awful in camp. 

I don't mind them seeing if they've signed the 2019 version of Howard.  He'd be a nice fit with Sanders, Gainwell, and Scott.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

The problem in 2016 was the rebuild wasn't sustainable, they gave up a lot of draft capital for Wentz, they were actually built by the 2012-2013 drafts and a great free agent haul.

This time hopefully they'll stay the course, have two more premier drafts and go shopping in 2023 to put the roof on the building, not build the walls.

It was plenty sustainable.  The problem is Howie is a horrible drafter, and the 2016 and 2017 draft classes, only 2 of the 16 players drafted are still on the roster, and then Howie traded draft picks trying to correct those mistakes.  If you had a 50% success rate you have 8 contributors on the roster.  If you have a 25% success rate you have 4 contributors on the roster.  But, 12.5% of draft capital used is still on the roster.  #firehowie.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I believe that, honestly.   Howie screwed up WR so bad for the last 3 years, he had to get it right this year.    I think Surtain was the backup plan at 12.   Howie is all about fixing past errors at all costs.  

Well.......it's about time you and I disagreed on something!

Spoiler

I think we can both agree on that?

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They really didn’t use Wilkins all that much after Taylor got going. But they did use Wilkins at times to close out games or tough yardage before Taylor finally got going the end of the year. Frankly listening to caplan and mosher yesterday stating they were told that Howard is the main backup unless he’s awful in camp. 

Hope that's right or they make a real effort to upgrade at power back. If they go into 2021 and only have Scott and Gainwell active behind Sanders, that shows they didn't learn their lesson in 2020.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wrong. 

Correct answer is we convert him to WR and he becomes our TY Hiltonz

You need to be more generous with your z's.  Also, and exclamation point or two would really hammer home the cynicism.  Don't be down on yourself, though.  You're off to a good start.

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I don't mind them seeing if they've signed the 2019 version of Howard.  He'd be a nice fit with Sanders, Gainwell, and Scott.

I’m going more off what caplan and mosher said yesterday in their podcast that Howard was the main backup going into camp unless he is just terrible in training camp. That’s why i posed it like that. The colts used hines way more than Wilkins as the season progressed. So i could see gainwell being used much more than Howard as Howard is Wilkins role. 

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We should be able to do better than Huntley.  I see a purge of the Doug/Schwartz projects.

Yea, there's going to be more than a few solid RB available after cuts.  I really don't have much faith in Howard.  I think you can cut him and have him on speed dial if needed.  

I'd still like to find a bigger, solid back to fill out the RB room.  Not so much because we need a "bruiser" but because I'd like a back with totally different skillset to come in.

Miles Sanders 5-11 215

Kenny Gainwell 5-8 201

Boston Scott 5-6 203

Jason Huntley 5-9 193

Yea, Gainwell and Scott are built for their sizes but two running backs under 5-8 isn't ideal.  They also have a very similar style of play.  I think Gainwell makes Scott expendable if you can find a better option out there.  Miles is the biggest but he hasn't exactly been healthy.  Huntley had great game speed in college but it doesn't look like it translated to the NFL.  

I would have loved a guy like Samaje Perine on a cheap deal.  RB is pretty picked through right now on the FA market so we need to wait until roster cuts/trade candidates.

How long until we hear Corey Clement is coming back?

I’m going more off what caplan and mosher said yesterday in their podcast that Howard was the main backup going into camp unless he is just terrible in training camp. That’s why i posed it like that. The colts used hines way more than Wilkins as the season progressed. So i could see gainwell being used much more than Howard as Howard is Wilkins role. 

I agree.  But I'd rather not have another back similar to Gainwell and Scott as the fourth guy.  Howard was effective in 2019.  To have him around would make sense, even in a lesser role.

2 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Hope that's right or they make a real effort to upgrade at power back. If they go into 2021 and only have Scott and Gainwell active behind Sanders, that shows they didn't learn their lesson in 2020.

Tough to know what Howard is right now. He was bad with the Dolphins to the point they got just rid of him and took the cap hit. Ans he didn’t get enough snaps here to know if it was just a fit or just not good anymore. I hope Howard can be that power back because if he can he’s a perfect compliment to sanders and gainwell. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I mean as things stand Howard has to be the #2 doesn't he? Scott is not a #2 and Gainwell is a rookie. So yeah I do think Howard is going to be the #2 going in to camp. But hopefully they are able to add a bruising back because I think they can do better than Howard. 

39 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

It was a random number pulled from thin air to prove that i think Gainwell will play a lot and smith will get hurt.

Did I dumb it down enough for you? 

Randomness pulled from thin air to prove a point?  Sounds dumb to me.  Like I said, you keep finding ways to back out of your declaration.   

the one-two punch will be Sanders and Gainwell. Howard and Scott can mop up

Just now, ToastJenkins said:

the one-two punch will be Sanders and Gainwell. Howard and Scott can mop up

I'm not sure about that... I think we need a more physical back. Mind you I'm not even sure Howard is that at this point. 

22 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

Call me cynical, but even from over 3000 miles away I can see that they wanted to trade up to 9 to get in front of Dallas for Surtain. They just (quite rightly) baulked at giving up pick #37 to do so. 

Once Surtain was off the board, Plan B was to trade up in front of the Giants for Smith. Understandably they paid the premium of pick #84 to do so.

😱   We actually disagree about a draft topic?     How many years did that take?     I think Smith was still the guy, and that they'd need to get in front of the GIANTS to get Smith, and that Dallas was going to be locked in on the CB and so they'd not be interested in moving back to 12.  

Archived