EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean as things stand Howard has to be the #2 doesn't he? Scott is not a #2 and Gainwell is a rookie. So yeah I do think Howard is going to be the #2 going in to camp. But hopefully they are able to add a bruising back because I think they can do better than Howard. 

If the eagles get 2019 Jordan Howard that’s probably better than any RB that is going to be cut or released on the market. He was good before that injury. However it’s a pretty big IF for Howard. He may just be done (he must have been really bad in Miami as he was rarely used and breida was often hurt and gaskin wasn’t great and also got hurt) but won’t know until training camp to see if that’s the case. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure about that... I think we need a more physical back. Mind you I'm not even sure Howard is that at this point. 

i think the physical back is a dinosaur. even Henry didnt blossom until he cut weight and gained speed.

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

"We are at pick 71, and we have two guys, two defensive linemen, and they are different flavors,” Roseman said. "One is a three-technique, and one is more of a nose tackle. Obviously, when you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors. Carolina calls, and they are picking two picks behind us, and (Carolina general manager) Scott Fitterer says, ‘Hey Howie, do you want to drop down two picks for our top of the sixth round pick.’ I said that he had to tell me offense or defense, and he said he was taking an offensive player. So we know we are getting one of these two guys. When we talk to our coaches about their fit and their role, they are excited about these two guys. One of them goes, and then we take Milton Williams.”

Well, they were at 70, not 71.   

30 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Gainwell will not have 75 receptions over 17 games much less 16.  And yes, Smith will get injured.  I'll take that bet.  Any bet.  Bring it.  

My trifecta bet with Pittsburgh Fan:

Gaineswell receptions over/under 2021: 60

I take under he takes over-

Smith gets injured and misses a game- I take he plays all 17- he takes misses one game

Wins for 2021 - him 5 or under- me 6 and over

Stakes- loser can't post until Ealges win another SB.

Interested in taking Pittsburgh Fan's piece of the action?

23 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

I mean he's completely right.  A 3T is much more important than a nose.  

Except for the picks... it was 70, not 71, and it was moving back 3 spots, not 2. 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

😱   We actually disagree about a draft topic?     How many years did that take?     I think Smith was still the guy, and that they'd need to get in front of the GIANTS to get Smith, and that Dallas was going to be locked in on the CB and so they'd not be interested in moving back to 12.  

Tbh the Broncos taking surtain really helped the eagles maneuver a potential trade up. Hypothetically if the Broncos took fields then dallas doesn’t want to trade out and take surtain. And the dominos fall where the giants take smith according to breer they were dead set on taking him. At that point the eagles are at 12 with slater likely being the best player on the board imo. 

Just now, ToastJenkins said:

2022 looking strong at DE and CB, thankfully

Yup. It's why passing on those positions in the first 3 rounds of 2021 made sense. We'll have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2022...we could trade 2 premium picks for a QB and still be able to address those needs! That's the advantage of being BPA in a rebuild.

51 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

That sounds good but it's 90% about the results. If they were winning no one would care what he said. And saying the right thing when you're losing might buy you a little time but not that much really. 

You left out the most irksome cell of the matrix - saying the wrong things when you are losing.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Except for the picks... it was 70, not 71, and it was moving back 3 spots, not 2. 

Yeah Even if you knew Carolina was going offense at 70. Still had potentially 71 and 72 where both could’ve gotten selected (one did by the lions at 72). You’d have to know one of the teams behind you wasn’t going to take one of them. And i don’t know how you’d know that since the giants traded up after we traded back. 

52 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what he said. People just hate Howie.

Your premise is a matter of opinion. Your conclusion is not supported.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh the Broncos taking surtain really helped the eagles maneuver a potential trade up. Hypothetically if the Broncos took fields then dallas doesn’t want to trade out and take surtain. And the dominos fall where the giants take smith according to breer they were dead set on taking him. At that point the eagles are at 12 with slater likely being the best player on the board imo. 

Yup.   If not for that, Dallas wouldn't have been as easily convinced to move out a little bit and potentially lose out on their CB when the Giants move back because their WR target is gone.   The Giants could have traded out with a team looking for a CB instead of a QB... and so Dallas couldn't be sure of getting their CB at 12.

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

This is the time of year when ****iness reigns in the Blog. Not much to talk about.

We can always discuss BBQ, Civil War or travel?

Sadly this year there will be even less to talk about in the coming weeks, as the OTAs will be virtual, so there's not going to be much reporting on anything.  The team will completely control the narrative and there's likely no way that each and every rookie is amazingly well versed in the playbook, the injured vets are in the best shape of their life, and are full go immediately, and could play tomorrow if there were a game scheduled.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.   If not for that, Dallas wouldn't have been as easily convinced to move out a little bit and potentially lose out on their CB when the Giants move back because their WR target is gone.   The Giants could have traded out with a team looking for a CB instead of a QB... and so Dallas couldn't be sure of getting their CB at 12.

I’m not so sure if the eagles did manage to convince Dallas to trade back to 12 with surtain on the board (highly unlikely) that the giants don’t just take surtain at 11 which would have screwed Dallas. They could more jackson into the slot have bradberry and surtain on the outside. 

3 minutes ago, justrelax said:

This is the time of year when ****iness reigns in the Blog. Not much to talk about.

What about this UDFA guy, Kayode Awosika?

I'm very surprised he wasn't drafted, and he looks a real nice ball of clay for Stoutland.

24 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We should be able to do better than Huntley.  I see a purge of the Doug/Schwartz projects.

Huntley wasn't given much of a chance last year, he was a 5th round pick by the Lions they stupidly cut him trying to stash him and Doug picked him up and never used him???

He has comparable athletic traits and size to gainwell.

Huntley is a little faster both about same size 5'8" 200 gainwell has longer wingspan and way bigger hands by quite a bit.

Both had poor agility numbers,( 3 cone and short shuttle) with Huntley being better in both.

Huntley was in Almost 90% of vertical for his position while Gainwell was in the 50%

On tape both look fast and both were workhorses for their teams.

As mentioned Huntley had 2 seasons of 40 plus receptions and another if 39.

He's senior year he was main ball carrier and had over 1000 yards 7.1 yards/ carry on a pretty poor offense.

He's still got a lot of tread in his tires as well as he wasn't a full time starter til his last year.

Gainwell if course has some tread on his tires as well as he didn't play last year and as a freshman only had a 4 carries, total he has 235 total carries in college, Huntley had 347 in 4 years so not much either and basically had nothing last year either.

Gainwell is 22 years old Huntley is 23.

I get there's some excitement about gainwell a 5th round back and I think Huntley who has alot if the same athletic traits and ability is going unnoticed which is fine but I'm not counting him   out, I think he has a spot and a role on this team.

I'm not sure of any backs out there as UDFA or older vet FA that are going to be better than Huntley.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m not so sure if the eagles did manage to convince Dallas to trade back to 12 with surtain on the board (highly unlikely) that the giants don’t just take surtain at 11 which would have screwed Dallas. They could more jackson into the slot have bradberry and surtain on the outside. 

Also possible.

19 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

And the Bears are on line 1

1 hour ago, Desertbirds said:

I think what rubs many the wrong way with Roseman is his hubris. Instead of saying (I paraphrase), "Hey, everyone said it would take 5 years to rebuild and I did it it in one," he should have said, "Things did not go as planned over the last three years. As the GM, I take responsibility for that. We think we have turned the corner with the last draft. I look forward to see how our young staff and players develop next season."

Nah, there are a lot of people that live to complain. If he said what you said they’d be ridiculing that as well.

Frankly, I think a lot of people dislike him because he’s living the dream that they can’t achieve: a normal guy who works his way into NFL management and builds a super bowl winner. 

10 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

Not if the Broncos took fields in that scenario which was stated by igglephan and i. Maybe the bears were willing to move up to 12 for Mac jones. I kind of think they only do it for fields cause there were reports he was their second graded QB on their board. 

After thinking on it, Landon Dickerson was the steal of the draft. 

1 DeVonta Smith = 166lbs

1 Landon Dickerson = 323lb

therefore

1 Landon Dickerson = 2 DeVonta Smiths

2 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

Exactly — that’s how it logically plays out.

There were a few of us on here who predicted there would be a QB on the board and Howie would have the opportunity to trade back if he saw fit.  He wanted (I would argue needed) Smith instead of trading back to #20.  If there was no trade up with DAL available he’d have taken Slater or traded out.

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

Nah, there are a lot of people that live to complain. If he said what you said they’d be ridiculing that as well.

Frankly, I think a lot of people dislike him because he’s living the dream that they can’t achieve: a normal guy who works his way into NFL management and builds a super bowl winner. 

If Howie said that we would rebuild for 3 years, the pitchforks would come out.

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not if the Broncos took fields in that scenario which was stated. Maybe the bears were willing to move up to 12 for Mac jones. I kind of think they only do it for fields cause there were reports he was their second graded QB on their board. 

IMO the Bears were hell bent on a QB and would have switched focus to Jones if Fields was gone. 

Archived