EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Do you think Sirianni always goes rock? Is he one of those guys? 

spacer.png

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much of the Mailata vs. Dillard conversation makes no sense. Dillard should start over Mailata because Mailata is a better backup RT? What the hell are you talking about. Start the best LT at LT.

This gif is basically the eagles and Washington now when discussing wanting Russell Wilson in 2012  

image.gif.2f4ac1df35e50e466f0ef55f22b4530b.gif

3 hours ago, WentzFan11 said:

McNeil Vs. Williams. 

So all this hullabaloo was over McNeil? Geez, I'd rather go with the high upside guy in Milton anyways. Sit down somewhere Tom.

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

WHY?  Mailata is a better player with more upside.  Because we drafted him higher?  RPS guy says there's competition at every position.  

Mailata may be the most overrated player in the past 10 years. Great story, loved the pick, upside is there. But he has not come close to proving he is the LT of even the near future. Demarcus Lawrence crushed him. 

And yes, draft status still matters at this point. Dillard was dubbed the best pass blocking LT in the 2019 draft. If you pencil in Dillard as the backup going into year 3 then you’re flat out just saying he’s a bust. 

I’m not saying Mailata won’t ultimately be better or Dillard won’t be a bust. But at this point, it should be Dillard’s job to lose. The leash will be short, yes. 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Of all the players the last 10 years.  You run with JM as the most overrated?  You're delusional.  And no, draft status shouldn't matter.  But I am sure Lowie will make it about that.  Because as we all know, they are the ones calling the shots.  

Ppl talk about Mailata like he’s perennial pro bowler and the next Jonathan Ogden. Right now he’s a Vaitai at best. 

You’re delusional if you think Mailata is going to be handed the starting role 

3 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Mailata may be the most overrated player in the past 10 years. Great story, loved the pick, upside is there. But he has not come close to proving he is the LT of even the near future. Demarcus Lawrence crushed him. 

And yes, draft status still matters at this point. Dillard was dubbed the best pass blocking LT in the 2019 draft. If you pencil in Dillard as the backup going into year 3 then you’re flat out just saying he’s a bust. 

I’m not saying Mailata won’t ultimately be better or Dillard won’t be a bust. But at this point, it should be Dillard’s job to lose. The leash will be short, yes. 

Dude, it's Demarcus Lawrence.  He was an All-Pro.   :lol:   You can't use Lawrence as a measuring stick, he's beaten just about every LT in the league.

Draft status means dick when it comes to performance vs. performance.  I'm still okay giving Dillard the benefit of the doubt but he's show absolutely nothing to be handed an edge over anyone, anywhere.  For as little as you think Mailata's shown, Dillard's shown less.

So Mailata has one bad game against a pro bowl DE and all the sudden dillard who was pretty bad as a rookie And atrocious at RT should have dubs at the starting LT?

Not to mention Lawrence did jack the second game, not sure if Mailata was playing but lawrence had zero sacks and zero qb hits in the second match up.

Mailata showed enough last year that he should be the LT going forward and Dillard if wants to play needs to prove otherwise.

Either way eagles will need both as Lane Johnson is sure to miss a bunch of games hobbling around on a peg leg.

1 minute ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Dude, it's Demarcus Lawrence.  He was an All-Pro.   :lol:   You can't use Lawrence as a measuring stick, he's beaten just about every LT in the league.

Draft status means dick when it comes to performance vs. performance.  I'm still okay giving Dillard the benefit of the doubt but he's show absolutely nothing to be handed an edge over anyone, anywhere.  For as little as you think Mailata's shown, Dillard's shown less.

Why can’t he be used as a measuring stick? You kidding me. This is exactly why Mailata is overrated. Ppl fawn over him like he’s this great second coming of Ogden but if a good player beats him then no big deal.... 

Hey if Chase Young beats him for 4 sacks in a game no big deal, right? 

47 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Donahoe is a goober then. Williams + 6th is better than McNeil. Williams alone might be better than McNeil. Lets see what comes of that player chosen there too.

If Donahoe cant identify someone he likes in the 6th round of the draft, then what is he doing all year long? 

Typical football guy wanting to stick to the board rather than getting more good players. Howie is the best in that room. 

This is why I dislike having "football guys" as GMs. They consistently make poor process decisions. 

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

So Mailata has one bad game against a pro bowl DE and all the sudden dillard who was pretty bad as a rookie And atrocious at RT should have dubs at the starting LT?

Not to mention Lawrence did jack the second game, not sure if Mailata was playing but lawrence had zero sacks and zero qb hits in the second match up.

Mailata showed enough last year that he should be the LT going forward and Dillard if wants to play needs to prove otherwise.

Either way eagles will need both as Lane Johnson is sure to miss a bunch of games hobbling around on a peg leg.

Damn it I like Mailata but everyone here is ready to hang his Jersey in the rafters. 

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

Bradshaw letting Rogers have it 

Him being that upset shows me how weak he is," Bradshaw said Monday to Moose and Maggie on WFAN. "Who the hell cares who you draft? He's a three-time MVP in the league and he's worried about this guy they drafted last year at No. 1?

"...And for him to be upset, my god, I don't understand that. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Malone No. 1, Cliff Stoudt in the third or fourth round - I had them coming at me from all angles. I embraced it, because when we went to practice, I wasn't worried about those guys. They didn't scare me a bit. So I don't understand why he's so upset at Green Bay."

And then if they fire the general manager he'll come back? Are you kidding me? Really Aaron, that's where this is? Here's what I'd do - I wouldn't budge. Let him gripe, let him cry - retire, you're 38, go ahead and retire, see you later.

"I'm really strong about stuff like that, and it just makes him look weak. In my way [of looking at things], it makes him look weak. How dare you draft somebody! What did he say? ... Me being the MVP really screwed them, it really messed them up. Well, you're gonna make I don't know how much money, but obviously he doesn't need the money. So probably he should just retire and go do Jeopardy! That's the way I look at it, but I wouldn't budge. I'm strong about stuff like that. Either he gives in and Green Bay doesn't, or move on."

I’m on Rodgers side with this. He’s got plenty of years left in the tank and is likely going to be in the top 5 or 10 QB of all time. I’ve also seen an article saying Packers only want to do 1 year deals but Rodgers wants more years

40 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Do you think Sirianni always goes rock? Is he one of those guys? 

Crack rock

Ppl talk about Mailata like he’s perennial pro bowler and the next Jonathan Ogden. Right now he’s a Vaitai at best. 

You’re delusional if you think Mailata is going to be handed the starting role 

You're delusional if you think Mailata is Vaitai.

I dont think mailata should just be handed the LT job but he should be given first crack at it.

Dillard is limited in that he struggles to anchor against power rushes and doesn't get any push in the run game.

Don't have to worry about that with Mailata and it's not like Mailata is some huge fat plodder, hes got quick feet in his pass sets and out of his stance and while pulling.

I ll take Mailata and see if dilliard has the heart to wrestle it away from him, which I dont think be does 

For those of us on team tank, this is a great outcome for us. Packers being worse makes it more likely both Chicago/Detroit get wins. Denver plays us as well.
Also helps us in the long-term if Rodgers spends the rest of his career in the AFC.

Just now, Utebird said:

You're delusional if you think Mailata is Vaitai.

I dont think mailata should just be handed the LT job but he should be given first crack at it.

Dillard is limited in that he struggles to anchor against power rushes and doesn't get any push in the run game.

Don't have to worry about that with Mailata and it's not like Mailata is some huge fat plodder, hes got quick feet in his pass sets and out of his stance and while pulling.

I ll take Mailata and see if dilliard has the heart to wrestle it away from him, which I dont think be does 

I’m not saying Mailata won’t win the job or Dillard is great by any stretch. But yeah he was drafted two years ago to be our LT so he’s going to get first crack. Mailata has not proven enough at this point to be anything but a swing tackle (which is great given the circumstance). 

And saying Mailata is a Vaitai wasn’t an insult. Vaitai was LT during the super bowl and got a $50 mil contract to play RT. It’s just realistic. 

5 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Damn it I like Mailata but everyone here is ready to hang his Jersey in the rafters. 

I'm not so not everyone.

I think he's a better LT at this point than dillard, I also think Mailatas ceiling is higher than dillards.

Ideally I'd have both on the field at OT.

As much as I like Lane Johnson with the amount of money he's making he's not worth it if he only plays half a season or a whole season on half a leg.

We'll see what happens.

Thing with Mailata is he seems to be a much better player in game than in practice. Multiple reasons why, especially if he's focusing on technique in practice but game is more just using his physical traits to get by. But it's going to interesting to see how that battle plays out during TC. If he's getting whooped by Ostman again during practice it might be hard not to look Dillards way more. 

Tankers? Already pulling for a high draft pick next year? I’m looking to win. I want the OLIne to play well, the QB and receivers to blossom, and the team to steal some wins. No tanking.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

For those of us on team tank, this is a great outcome for us. Packers being worse makes it more likely both Chicago/Detroit get wins. Denver plays us as well.
Also helps us in the long-term if Rodgers spends the rest of his career in the AFC.

The ideal outcome would be Hurts is real and the offense hums.  But our defense is a sieve, and we lose every game 34 - 30.  0-17 and trade out of the first pick for even more resources.

SuperbowlZZZZ!Z!Z!ZZZZ*(@#$&09@#$&*!!!!

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I’m not saying Mailata won’t win the job or Dillard is great by any stretch. But yeah he was drafted two years ago to be our LT so he’s going to get first crack. Mailata has not proven enough at this point to be anything but a swing tackle (which is great given the circumstance). 

And saying Mailata is a Vaitai wasn’t an insult. Vaitai was LT during the super bowl and got a $50 mil contract to play RT. It’s just realistic. 

Vaitai is marginal at best, . Teams over pay for marginal swing  OTs all the time.

I think Mailata proved last year that he can be a starting LT or RT in the league, he showed enough and should only get better with more playing time. No reason to sit him down for an unproven Dilliard.

Make it an open competition for LT and let the best man win, I'd put my money on Mailata.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Vaitai is marginal at best, . Teams over pay for marginal swing  OTs all the time.

I think Mailata proved last year that he can be a starting LT or RT in the league, he showed enough and should only get better with more playing time. No reason to sit him down for an unproven Dilliard.

Make it an open competition for LT and let the best man win, I'd put my money on Mailata.

Nope.  We must establish tribes here.  Team Jordan vs Team Andre. 

Someone must be wrong if I am always right.

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Until they got hurt, all of our OTs will get a chance to prove what they can do. And I like the idea of Mailata as backup at both spots considering Dillard was so bad on the right 

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Thing with Mailata is he seems to be a much better player in game than in practice. Multiple reasons why, especially if he's focusing on technique in practice but game is more just using his physical traits to get by. But it's going to interesting to see how that battle plays out during TC. If he's getting whooped by Ostman again during practice it might be hard not to look Dillards way more. 

This is the big thing.  Mailata was not looking good at practice during TC, however, you can't simulate 100% of what a game feels like during practice.

Live, in game reps are what he needs and the only way he truly reaches his potential.  There are so many things that happen between the play call, line adjustments, defensive alignment adjustments and the snap of the ball.  Then there's the play itself.  Different playing styles, hand fighting, stunts and so on and so forth.  

Mailata has never had to deal with that stuff and probably only has about 50% of it replicated during practice.  The more gameplay he gets, the better his instincts will become and movements, reactions and all of that will become second nature to him.  If he is relegated to just practice, he will never reach his full potential.  

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

.... or people can just not give a S, and let the best player win the job in training camp -- and not assume if Dillard starts at LT Week 1 that there is some grand conspiracy not to start the best players.

Archived