EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Until they got hurt, all of our OTs will get a chance to prove what they can do. And I like the idea of Mailata as backup at both spots considering Dillard was so bad on the right 

What???

So you want Mailata to be a backup because Dillard sucks at RT.

That's some mind numbing logic???🤔

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Utebird said:

What???

So you want Mailata to be a backup because Dillard sucks at RT.

That's some mind numbing logic???🤔

If they are about even, yes!

25 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Why can’t he be used as a measuring stick? You kidding me. This is exactly why Mailata is overrated. Ppl fawn over him like he’s this great second coming of Ogden but if a good player beats him then no big deal.... 

Hey if Chase Young beats him for 4 sacks in a game no big deal, right? 

Are you serious?  :lol: The guy is one of the top defensive players in the league.  He beats EVERYONE.  Mailata getting beat by him is not some world-ending event. 

If Mailata was getting steadily torched by a bunch of nobodies, then your point might make some sense. 

No one's fawning over Mailata.  He's shown enough growth (a lot of growth, actually) to warrant him possibly being the starter.  Meanwhile the most anyone's heard about Dillard is how he's soft.  Who's the one being fawned over here? 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

.... or people can just not give a S, and let the best player win the job in training camp -- and not assume if Dillard starts at LT Week 1 that there is some grand conspiracy not to start the best players.

Can't happen.  Dillard could play like Munoz, but half the fanbase will believe that he's starting only because Howie is justifying the pick.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

.... or people can just not give a S, and let the best player win the job in training camp -- and not assume if Dillard starts at LT Week 1 that there is some grand conspiracy not to start the best players.

If we didn't give a S none of us would be on this board B ing about the team no???

And we could also assume that the bean counter egomaniacal GM who reportedly tells coaches who to play doesn't want to look like an idiot for burning a 1st round pick.

2 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Are you serious?  :lol: The guy is one of the top defensive players in the league.  He beats EVERYONE.  Mailata getting beat by him is not some world-ending event. 

If Mailata was getting steadily torched by a bunch of nobodies, then your point might make some sense. 

No one's fawning over Mailata.  He's shown enough growth (a lot of growth, actually) to warrant him possibly being the starter.  Meanwhile the most anyone's heard about Dillard is how he's soft.  Who's the one being fawned over here? 

There’s a difference between getting beat here and there and completely owned... Chase Young could very easily be the best player in this division for the next 10 years. I’d like a guy who can do well against top notch talent. 

Mailata should have a 10 year $250 mill contract according to EMB

I may be nuts , but I think Hurts has a nice year , next year .

I expect OL to be healthier and better , and I think between DG , Reagor and Smith , he will have some good options.

He just has to lose that run first mentality , I would rather see him throw it away more often , it will become muscle memory 

8 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

If they are about even, yes!

If they're even I'd start the guy with more upside, which is Mailata

5 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

There’s a difference between getting beat here and there and completely owned... Chase Young could very easily be the best player in this division for the next 10 years. I’d like a guy who can do well against top notch talent. 

....what?  :lol:

I'd pay him $300 million just to account for future cap increases.

And we have no idea what Dillard can or can't do yet because the dude can't get himself on the field.  Yeah I'm not passing up on Mailata in favor of that.

Interesting takes on Dickerson from some anonymous scouts.

Third scout: "Not a good athlete, on the ground a lot. I don’t like his stiffness. I don’t like this and that. But he’s a guy I want on my team. He’s my type of guy even when I look at him as an athlete. Fortunately, you’re not going to be able to work the guy out.”

I have no idea what this guy is trying to say. 

Also,

Fourth scout: "It’s a wonderful story … but he’s not that good. He’s been hurt his whole life, and he’s limited athletically. Does the guy have any talent? No. Just a guy.”

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not one poster has said that about JM.  You’re going really far there.  And I never said he’ll be handed the starting role.  You said it was Dillards to lose.  Which is wrong.
And you said JM is the most overrated player the last 10 years.  That’s hot takey.   

Who’s a more overrated player in that time?! 

The coaches can say position battle all they want but there is always a favorite. If Dillard put in the offseason work and doesn’t have the mental lags he’s rumored to have (which I expect) I’d say it’s 60/40 in favor of Dillard. 

5 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

And we have no idea what Dillard can or can't do yet because the dude can't get himself on the field.  Yeah I'm not passing up on Mailata in favor of that.

He had one bicep injury.  He was always evaluated coming out of college as a player who would need his first year to be a development; that’s why he was platooned behind Peters in 2019.

People are getting way too far ahead of themselves wanting to write off a first round pick.

21 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Runyan got whooped by strahan every year and was one of the highest paid tackles in the league and fans act like he was some kind of god.

Defense gets paid too, I like to have a LT that can do well against topnotch talent as well, not sure Mailata is that guy but  I think hes a better bet to be that guy than dillard.

It's not like we're talking about playing Mailata over Peters in his prime it's Andre Dillard an unproven 3rd year player whose accomplishments to date are, not being scouted by the eagles, crying In training camp getting absolutely wrecked at RT and Injuring his arm. Oh yeah and he's Howie's 1st round pick which is about all he's got going for him.

I hope the kid can turn it around and show up hungry And ready to take the LT spot would be a waste of a 1st if he didn't and Mailata will still get work as a backup especially with lanes health.

But there's zero reason to play dilliard if he sucks or is just average, other than maybe minimally increasing his value to trade him. To play over Mailata Mailata either needs to crap the bed or dillard needs to show out and out play him,if it's close why bench Mailata???

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Third scout: "Not a good athlete, on the ground a lot. I don’t like his stiffness. I don’t like this and that. But he’s a guy I want on my team. He’s my type of guy even when I look at him as an athlete. Fortunately, you’re not going to be able to work the guy out.”

Also,

Fourth scout: "It’s a wonderful story … but he’s not that good. He’s been hurt his whole life, and he’s limited athletically. Does the guy have any talent? No. Just a guy.”

Anonymous scout = guy in moms  basement or Josh buttons👎

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Anonymous scout = guy in moms  basement or Josh buttons👎

I wouldn’t go that far, it was taken from a pre-draft series on The Athletic, but I agree these are trash takes 

11 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He had one bicep injury.  He was always evaluated coming out of college as a player who would need his first year to be a development; that’s why he was platooned behind Peters in 2019.

People are getting way too far ahead of themselves wanting to write off a first round pick.

Not getting far ahead of anything.  All anyone can go off now is what we have on tape. 

Mailata has tape - some pretty good tape considering where he started out at.  We have zero on Dillard. 

Based off that alone, no one can reasonably pencil Dillard ahead of Mailata.  Dillard's going to have to show something if he wants to change that.

2 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

We have zero on Dillard. 

We have more than zero. He did start at LT in his rookie year. 

20 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Also,

Consistently body slamming dudes in the SEC? Total JAG.

Guest justrelax

Dillard will have had two years to build his core strength come TC. Then we’ll see.

21 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Also,

I want him on my team but he sucks? That scout sounds like an idiot

3 minutes ago, greend said:

I want him on my team but he sucks? That scout sounds like an idiot

Sounds like Howie 

"Let’s take this guy!”

”...But he sucks”

”I know! Hey JJAW, welcome to the team!”

41 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I may be nuts , but I think Hurts has a nice year , next year .

I expect OL to be healthier and better , and I think between DG , Reagor and Smith , he will have some good options.

He just has to lose that run first mentality , I would rather see him throw it away more often , it will become muscle memory 

He has no excuses.

4 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

He has no excuses.

You’re going to be formally introduced to the Hurts Hurdlers early next season; the excuses will be fast and furious 

I remember DJax being super tiny coming out of college, maybe a little bigger than Smith. From what I recall, DJax never had an injury history that related to his small frame. It was mostly hamstrings and the groin issue. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'm not really worried about Smith's size. As long as the team uses him right, he should be just fine. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So you want me to share my opinion on a player who I think other's opinions have been wrong about, over the course of the past 10 years?  Can't get more subjective and hot takie than that.  Which is why I called your opinion a hot take in the first place. 

And because I think someone is overrated doesn't mean I think JM is a better player at his position.  It is still a point of being overrated not about them being bad players......

Alshon Jeffrey- Was a decent WR.  Never great.

Malcolm Jenkins- Was a decent safety, great team leader, never a great player.    

Jalen Hurts- 3+ games.  A ton of people have overrated the small sample size he has put out.  

Brandon Graham- Great guy.  Eagle for life.  Not the difference maker he is made out to be.  

Jason Peters the last 4 seasons in Philly.

Jalen Mills- Only started as much as he did because Howie sucks at drafting.  

Ron Darby- Was terrible in Philly.  Maybe a lot of it was coaching.  

That's a few players I think others have overrated.  

Now below is what your avatar should be.  

Analytics Strawman (@AnalyticsStraw) | Twitter

You think I spend my free time chatting with old crabby blowhards like you on this board not to give any hot takes? The Eagles don’t win a Super Bowl without Alshon and Jenkins made 3 pro bowls. Graham was a 2nd team All-Pro in 2016. 

For the 67th time, I like Mailata, the potential is there. The fact he went from rugby player to respectable nfl tackle in about two years is damn impressive. However, the tone on these boards says Mailata is a sure fire perennial pro bowler. Is the potential there? Absolutely. But he hasn’t been close to a pro bowl level player up to this point. 

Therefore, saying it’s Dillard’s job to lose, really isn’t a hot take. He was a first round pick two years ago and just missed a whole season due to injury. Yes, the fact that he’s a former first round pick, gives him some leeway. If you don’t see that you’re living in a different world. 

Archived