EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

You also knew the Eagles weren't losing SB52 when they played D&N while the Patriots came on to the filed to Crazy Train.  It was over .

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Utebird said:

If you are looking for Pinkston to truck some one you will be disappointed, adjust your expectations 

You said Pinkston always shied away from contact.

Plenty of lights in the video where he's obviously contacted by defenders.

Never said Pinkston bad a lot of highlights he was average at best and only played 5 season yet despite him sucking notice on the cups he did make a play around defenders and got tackled his 170 pound frame didn't break in half.

Smith will be fine he's shown to be tougher on tape than Pinkston was 

So, you can't point me to one that illustrates your point perfectly.   Ok.

You pointed to these guys Pinkston, DJax and GLew and talked about how they never got hurt on contact plays.  I pushed back on DJax, who did.   Pinkston who avoided contact at every chance, and GLew who's career was a complete 'meh'.  

I have changed my stance on Smith from draft night... but your defense isn't that strong.    The reality is that Smith is outside the norm.  There's no getting around that.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The way his career ended, the drunk driving and d-bagginess of him make it easy to forget how good Donovan was in his prime.  Even with the worm burners I'd love to have a quarterback with his talent again.

Oh yeah.  The things he was already good at, he smoked people with.  The things he sucked at were massive failures.  F he was frustrating :lol:

15 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And the fault lies with the Union, who is supposedly going to look out for their best interests.

Bet that they aren't going to pay him that $10M he's losing out on lol

18 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I don’t care that the Astros cheated, still rooting for them over the Yankees 

I am an A's fan, F those cheaters.  Go Yankees.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

image.gif.d60292481fe96050113141d9288bdff8.gif

Houston is the only team in baseball I hate with the same passion I hate the Cowboys and Giants.

12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

You also knew the Eagles weren't losing SB52 when they played D&N while the Patriots came on to the filed to Crazy Train.  It was over .

It was over the second Big D!ck Nick put in his 3XL jock strap 

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Nope, of course not, because he made that choice... even though it was at their urging.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

So, you can't point me to one that illustrates your point perfectly.   Ok.

My pint was that Pinkston didn't always avoid contact, I gave you 4 minutes worth of Pinkston clips being contacted by defenders a couple where he stiff armed some dudes and you say, not good enough I want a clip of Pinkston going Earl campbell on someone...

Get real, Pinkston was a string bean powder puff only dude he's trucking is your mom.

And yet he still wouldn't get injured.

You can argue that Pinkston didn't get hurt because he avoided contact yet that's a good thing, I don't want my 170 pound WR initiating contact that not what I'm paying him for, I'm laying him to run down the field really fast and jump over some dudes and catch a ball and maybe a td every once in a while.

I mean come Smith isn't going to be asked to take guys head on and break loads of tackles that's not his game that wasn't his game in college and if he's expected or consistently out in situations where he's expected to one is mis using his talents and ability and putting him in unnecessary harm's way.

People may have hated watching issac bruce and tory holt avoid contact and take dives but those dudes made lots of plays win lots of games and are HOF candidates.

Better to live to play another down than to take on a Defender head on to pick up an extra yard, it's almost antiethical to football but makes sense as a cost benefit analysis the same way the league has decided to protect their investments (qbs) at all costs.

Smith isn't going to be trucking people and he isn't going to take as many big hits comparitively she to the league rules that limit contact, and I hope he avoids contact, that's his job, avoid defenders catch the ball s ire tds win games.

One reason barry sanders staged so healthy during his career is because no one could get a clean shot on him 

In todays game clean shots against receivers are legislated against, receivers have free reign over the middle, hit em too high penalty, hit em too low penalty, hit em too hard penalty.

A guy like Pinkston would have really benefits from today's rules Instead he was getting raked by the likes of ricky manning jr.☹️

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Houston is the only team in baseball I hate with the same passion I hate the Cowboys and Giants.

That would be the Mets for me..... and my fantasy team 

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

My pint was that Pinkston didn't always avoid contact, I gave you 4 minutes worth of Pinkston clips being contacted by defenders a couple where he stiff armed some dudes and you say, not good enough I want a clip of Pinkston going Earl campbell on someone...

Get real, Pinkston was a string bean powder puff only dude he's trucking is your mom.

1 - That's a straw man.  I asked for a time stamp.  You chose to punt.   Those 4 minutes of highlights was closer to about 1:30 when you edit out the multiple angles of the same play.   

2 - My mom is a dude?    Seems you need to work on your point building.   

Don't rely on straw men, and don't rely on being rude to make your point.

5 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

Much of the Mailata vs. Dillard conversation makes no sense. Dillard should start over Mailata because Mailata is a better backup RT? What the hell are you talking about. Start the best LT at LT.

I agree with the bolded. But the question is, who do you WANT to be the player to "win" that job? For me, it's Dillard all day long. I WANT him to be the left tackle they envisioned him to be when they drafted him. I already know that Mailata can play the position at a serviceable level. But maybe he only tops out as a Vaitai level player. 

As a franchise, the Eagles are in a better position in terms of roster construction if Dillard is the better player. That way, you have a "good" (presumably) in Dillard and a "serviceable, but still improving" in Mailata. The other way around, and it's a "good" (again, presumably) in Mailata and a "failure" in Dillard. The equation works much better the previous way.

9 hours ago, bpac55 said:

My ideal situation is IF we do end up with 3 1st round picks that we use 2 of them on blue chip talent and the 3rd is used to trade back and pick up a 2023 1st.  One thing to consider with 3 1st round picks is depending on where they land, you also have to hand out 3 1st round contracts which could get expensive.  Grab one of the top D-Line prospects and a top CB (Derek Stingley or Sevyn Banks please).

Having 3 1st round picks really puts us in the drivers seat to maneuver and continue adding top level talent.

All of this is of course unless there is a can't miss QB prospect.  I don't see one right now who is a franchise changing quarterback.  New England got their guy this year at 15.  Kellen Mond (who I think is going to be a great pro) went in round 3 I believe?  I don't want them to think they NEED to pick a QB in the 1st.

Yea sir. That's what I'm preaching. We need to keep feeding the draft pick furnace. It's still a multi year build here. Cashing in all of the picks next year I don't think will benefit the team as a whole as much as using one of the assets for multiple ones over multiple years. Maybe even two trades or a trade down like we did this year to go along with trading one pick stratify up. We just need Wentz to stay healthy and be good enough to start all year to nab all three 1st's

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They will not, BUT this will open the eyes of some, not all, but some of these players to ignore the PA on this request. 

2 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Yea sir. That's what I'm preaching. We need to keep feeding the draft pick furnace. It's still a multi year build here. Cashing in all of the picks next year I don't think will benefit the team as a whole as much as using one of the assets for multiple ones over multiple years. Maybe even two trades or a trade down like we did this year to go along with trading one pick stratify up. We just need Wentz to stay healthy and be good enough to start all year to nab all three 1st's

If I was a GM, I would institute a rule that we had to trade at least one current pick every single year for a better pick the following draft.  It's free value and it only requires a modicum of self-restraint.

17 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

They can theoretically trade back in Round 1, get back a later Round 1 pick in 2022, and get another Round 1 pick in 2023.

16 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

If I was a GM, I would institute a rule that we had to trade at least one current pick every single year for a better pick the following draft.  It's free value and it only requires a modicum of self-restraint.

Like i said before, if it was possible I'd trade my second for a first EVERY year. Problem is you have to find someone that wants to do it.

15 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

It’s not free. Time premium is a thing. Same reason you get charged interest for borrowing money.

From a GM’s or coach’s view, your job could be made or lost on having that one extra player. So there is risk and self interest at stake.

That said, I agree that it is prudent to receive the premium as payment for low time preference. This is a reason having a GM with job security is beneficial to the organization: they can feel comfortable making moves like this with delayed gratification.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

It’s not free. Time premium is a thing. Same reason you get charged interest for borrowing money.

From a GM’s or coach’s view, your job could be made or lost on having that one extra player. So there is risk and self interest at stake.

That said, I agree that it is prudent to receive the premium as payment for low time preference. This is a reason having a GM with job security is beneficial to the organization: they can feel comfortable making moves like this with delayed gratification.

Yeah using their analogy, we are the lender and we are doing it in a world where there is no risk of default (the pick is immediately acquired).  But I agree with you that the hard part is the discipline of the GM even when feeling the heat.

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

Like i said before, if it was possible I'd trade my second for a first EVERY year. Problem is you have to find someone that wants to do it.

Usually it’s easier to trade a first for a future first and either a present first or second, depending on how high your original first rounder is.

I have no doubt that Howie will try to extract value from at least one of our picks in the top 2 rounds next year, but that will probably depend on the QB situation. If we have to make a big move up, it might not be possible.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Nice photoshop job. Almost looks real. 

Its even more crazy that he is Rojesterman Farris II(THE 2ND)

Bad enough there was one, but to give that name out a second time???

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I appreciate the lengths you’ve gone to  to make him look like a real life human being. 

The funny part, is I didn't even have to look him up to know where he played from.  When you live on the West Coast you see Hawaii football games.  I knew the name immediately.

Archived