EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Can they be comparable?

Size wise, yes. DJax is obviously more of a go-route runner. But I'm comparing the two moreso on their frame. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an argument to be made about more weight contributing to injuries. The impulse of the collision is less (energy associated with the change in momentum of colliding bodies) if one of the colliding bodies is much lighter than the other. You can hit a floating feather with a sledge hammer but the feather will only experience a momentum change associated with its mass. By the same token, a light football player will only experience a change in momentum based on their mass. Couple this with the great kinesthetic awareness he shows on tape and you see a little guy who played in the most competitive league in college football popping up play after play.  My personal experience as a hockey player was more injuries as I put on muscle mass.

As long as he isn't tackling people, I think his weight is fine.

21 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Pinkston always shied away from contact.  GLEW is hardly an example to hold up for 'success' in the NFL.   

Those are my points.  You said that DJax didn't suffer any contact injuries.  He did.  Lots of other WRs have as well.

Pinkston didnt " always" shy away from contact, that's a blanket statement.

Issac bruce frequently shied away from contact and fell limp like he'd just been shot after a catch. There are plenty of examples of Pinkston taking hits.

As for Glew we aren't talking about success we are talking about not getting Injured and Glew didn't over what 10 years!

Yes lots of WRs have been Injured due to co tact football is a rough sport and there is nothing that shows that those Injuries were due to how much a player did or didn't weigh 

Some dudes are Injury prone whether they weigh 170 or 225.

Would I be little hesitant to draft a guy with smiths frame, maybe if he had an extensive I jury history or showed on tape to get pushed around or shy away from contact or not show functional strength but that doesn't describe Smith.

On tape in the toughest conference In college going against guys bigger than him so e nfl prospects he didn't get injured he didn't shy away from contact he showed functional strength and didn't get pushed around, he did the pushing around.

He had the hand Injury yet that's not an injury that was directly due to him being 165 pounds 

I think his weight or lack of is over blown especially in today's NFL where defenses aren't allowed to tackle or play pass defense.

Desean even though was a rookie not too long ago was drafted in still a different era where the nfl wasn't quite flag football yet. 

Scouts issues with him weren't just his weight but his height, he's under 6ft where as smith is 6ft with longer than average arms and bigger than average hands.

Now none of that has anything to do with  propensity for Injury but either does weight 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You first.  

A7B3A81C-655D-48AF-94E1-16C0F510D017.jpeg

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Remember DJax got hit hard on a crossing route.  Not sure if he missed any game after that.  But he was kind of shy on the routes in the middle. 

Are you talking about the Dunta Robinson cheap shot? I don't think it matters what size you are if so, that will take you down. 

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You first.  

A Russian McDonald's.

That explains a lot, you communist.

DBs are significantly less physical today than they were 10 years ago, let alone 20. Play Smith outside the hashmarks where he'll be near safeties and cornerbacks and he'll be fine. It's not like we're going to use Smith on Jet sweeps and tunnel screens. 

I wonder what's taking so long with announcing the UDFA class. If the reports are confirmed they still have 4 open roster spots

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Pi Justin didn't " always" shy away from contact, that's a blanket statement.

Yes, and sometimes blankets are true.   Pinkston avoided contact every time he could.   He didn't always see it coming, so something he got hit.  But he absolutely avoided contact when he saw it coming.

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

DBs are significantly less physical today than they were 10 years ago, let alone 20. Play Smith outside the hashmarks where he'll be near safeties and cornerbacks and he'll be fine. It's not like we're going to use Smith on Jet sweeps and tunnel screens. 

Well, he was used like that at times at Alabama.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Also, the head hunting across the middle has been legislated against.  

Louis Riddick did a rant on ESPN about the size argument against Smith.  Pointing out how little press coverage actually occurs in the NFL these days - especially with the use of press-bail.

Smith will have no problem gliding past coverage.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Are you talking about the Dunta Robinson cheap shot? I don't think it matters what size you are if so, that will take you down. 

Definitely.  My only point was that that was a contact injury.   

I've come around on Smith's (perceived) brittleness.   He is definitely wiry and could very well hold up well.  Heck, Dickerson is huge and he's Mr. Glass.  So, there's no guarantee that a bit of extra bulk means anything.  One thing that I would watch for with him would be cramping.  He'll need to make sure he stays hydrated well before games.  He's going to have limited reserves.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes, and sometimes blankets are true.   Pinkston avoided contact every time he could.   He didn't always see it coming, so something he got hit.  But he absolutely avoided contact when he saw it coming.

Here's more than a couple plays of Pinkston not avoiding contact when he sees it coming.

23 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You first.  

Back manning the fry station. Not in the pic. You know this 

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Also isn't the point of any offensive player to avoid contact, whether they see it or not 

No one ever said Barry sanders sucked because he avoided so much contact🤔

Players might want to rethink boycotting OTA's to do their own workouts

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Players might want to rethink boycotting OTA's to do their own workouts

NFL Teams: STAY IN SHAPE!
Also NFL Teams: Get hurt staying in shape and you're on your own. 

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Here's more than a couple plays of Pinkston not avoiding contact when he sees it coming.

I think I saw 1, seriously 

18 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A Russian McDonald's.

That explains a lot, you communist.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

NFL Teams: STAY IN SHAPE!
Also NFL Teams: Get hurt staying in shape and you're on your own. 

He was away from the team facility. Do you understand?

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Also isn't the point of any offensive player to avoid contact, whether they see it or not 

No one ever said Barry sanders sucked because he avoided so much contact🤔

He also didn't avoid it. 

7 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

1 minute ago, greend said:

He was away from the team facility. Do you understand?

image.gif.022d050e81e7604852a88e42a2b76e63.gif

10 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Peeling the Monopoly stickers off the boxes going for the big money ;)

Archived