EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

And again arm strength and arm talent are two different things. Arm strength is how far one can throw/velocity. Arm talent is that plus accuracy, release, making all the throws, throwing a catchable ball, etc. 

Completing 52% of your passes does not make me feel good about his arm talent. Neither does getting benched in a championship game for a guy that has average NFL arm talent. 

And again, If I’m wrong on Hurts, I’ll be the first to admit it. I think he’s Taysom Hill/Tyrod Taylor, not McNabb. 

That's what some people aren't getting. Literally every person that has issue with Hurts/doesn't believe in him moving forward hopes that they're wrong. 

There are idiots here who truly believe myself and others are actively rooting for him to fail by pointing out issues with him/his gameplay. Next level stupidity.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Swoop said:

That's what some people aren't getting. Literally every person that has issue with Hurts/doesn't believe in him moving forward hopes that they're wrong. 

There are idiots here who truly believe myself and others are actively rooting for him to fail by pointing out issues with him/his gameplay. Next level stupidity.

Funny now that the shoe is on the other foot.

It was pretty obvious at the start of the year beginning in camp that Pryor came in tremendously out of shape (which is hardly new for him as that was an issue for him in college).  He moved down the depth chart from where he was the year before and only started seeing playing time when the Eagles were desperate.  He has good size and strength and occasionally some decent technique but his sloth like speed and conditioning makes his footwork off and leads to lunges.  Others here today may not appreciate what JR offers in OL discussion, but I do.   He could probably say what I said much better.

Herbig is a dancing bear.  If he is closely engaged, he is a decent G.  His problem is he is such a phone booth player.  Slow.  I was surprised at the combine on the footwork drills from him. Technique wasn’t bad but the steps were sooooo small. And on the T slide drill, it was embarrassing.  The first year he was here, I called him a slug because he was shaped like that and moved with that speed.  I know the Eagles were desperate for IOL help, but I was not impressed when the kept,him at the cutdown.  I commented last year that I thought he came to camp in better shape.  His technique may have improved a bit but he was glacially slow still.  Now he may be the anti-Pryor.  Pryor got drafted and thought that earned him an NFL paycheck.  Herbig was a priority UDFA and seems willing to work to get on a roster.  He’s the bubble IOL player at this point but is facing another priority IOL UDFA in Awosika and another versatile IOL in Pierschbacher. Juriga may be a wild card here too.

Opeta is on his last gasp.  Extremely raw, small school guy.  Howie signed him because he was tops in lifting at the combine.  He almost always drafts or signs, as a UDFA, the lift kings at DT or IOL.  But two years into Stout teaching, he still has awful, raw technique.  His squat isn’t. He bends.  His foot placement and anchor negate his strength and his engage is off.  It is like he is slanting his engage instead of his drive, which becomes a reach and strength is negated with a reach, just ask Pryor. Mailata was year three from nowhere last year as a comparison.  

Driscoll is smart (I think Herbig is too, IIRC).  Now academics don’t always translate on the football field but one place it does seem to matter is OL.  Technique is muscle memory, sure but it is also understanding the dynamics of leverage, momentum etc.   Well, Driscoll gets it.  What holds him back is physical.  And those may be things that cannot be fixed.  His wingspan is 78.5”.  He has 33” arms (not C arms but considered a bit short for an OT.  I look at his lower half and wonder if he can gain a lot of size.  His biggest weakness is strength and mostly in his anchor.  His arms won’t grow or his wingspan expand and adding junk in the trunk is not the easiest thing.  Look at the IOL, even Kelce.  All have size in the trunk.

OL is like a choreographed dance and Stout is excellent at teaching it.  Folks talk about Mudd as a top OL coach.  I would proffer that he was third in line for OL coaches from our last three.  Castillo is underrated to him and that is wrong. Castillo was so good at teaching hand use and punch.  But Stout is a master teacher. My son and I used to go and watch Castillo drills at Lehigh. The sled drills were a blast, especially the punch drills.  It wasn’t just punching the sled, it was where the punch was placed including slant drills.  The work on foot placement and bend. Watching those few clips when we can hear Stout is amazing.  Every movement is choreographed and repeated until it is natural.

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

My issue is...(O boy here we go...)

I kinda do root against him. We're gonna see flashes of brilliance. a 6 win team and this fan based, along with management will go... hmmm... we may have something here. 

Year 2, flashed of brilliance, 2 come back from behind wins, 8-9 season... hmmm we may have something here.

Year 3, the fan base knows we have an average QB, management doesn't do anything, we get the same Hurts and here we are, 6-11 again. 

Rip the band aid off. 

I don't know that you're actively rooting against him or rooting against mediocrity. Given the choice you'd rather have Hurts become the best QB in the league, yeah?

15 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Look at Wentz’ arm and ball location there.

The Colts posted some videos of him at camp and his mechanics and release are still dog crap.  That is obviously an unfixable problem for him at this point.

Yup. 

I just hope he plays 75% of the snaps this year. Don't wish him ill will or anything but it looks like he didn't do anything to change his mechanics.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

Surprised Gronk wasn't on the list.

Won’t see enough targets , he will split catches with Brate and Howard at TE

and WOs will see the vast majority with

AB , Evans , Godwin ,Miller ,Johnson and the rookie ,Darden .

And they added Bernard as a 3rd down receiving back .

15 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Rolling deep for an 0-5 team lol

Well we can’t all be blessed with Steelers season tickets like you 

22 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

@NCiggles  The game in Carolina is a "Phans of Philly” road trip game.  So there’s a good chance that the city and stadium will be overrun with good guys in green.  

https://phansofphilly.com/product/eaglesroadtripcarolina/

Cool - there are usually a fair amount of Philly fans.  We should have a blog tailgate.  

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re point is right on Manu he didn’t say that.  My bad.  That’s what I get for traveling and posting.   He said it wasn’t unique but then argued that his work ethic is something that will make him get everything out of his talent. Which, as I said was something that a lot of the players that make it to that level have.    He disagreed.  

Again, you chime in and swing your purse to defend Hurts when I didn’t say anything bad about him in the first place.    I was just saying how his "work ethic” is being over blown.  It’s opinion.  You don’t know it.  You hope it.  We know what we see.  He handles himself in the press and has up and down play in limited playing time.  That’s it!  

Also I’m still waiting for you to prove your false claim of me posting about some play yesterday.  Another LIE.  

Now go ahead and respond to the other multiple posts wars you are in with all the other people who are owning you.   You do this to yourself.  

Unfortunately a great work ethic isn't something a lot of players have at this level.  You have a lot of very talented players that make it to the NFL and waste their talent.  They get that big pay check feel like they made it Becuase they were the biggest fish in the pond at their university and they squander the opportunity of a lifetime instead of working hard they go and spend their money and live a lavish lifestyle that comes with being very oung and rich. 

Every report of Hurts coming out of college and so far in the NFL is that his work ethic is one of his strengths. Whether that allows him to become a great player or not remains to be seen however having your team's young QB be someone who does possess a strong work ethic and is very serious about taking advantage of the opportunity presented to them will only be a benefit to the rest of that young locker room in this new regime. 

Your team's culuture will often reflect how your QB carries himself. 

24 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

OL is like a choreographed dance and Stout is excellent at teaching it.  Folks talk about Mudd as a top OL coach.  I would proffer that he was third in line for OL coaches from our last three.  Castillo is underrated to him and that is wrong. Castillo was so good at teaching hand use and punch.  But Stout is a master teacher. My son and I used to go and watch Castillo drills at Lehigh. The sled drills were a blast, especially the punch drills.  It wasn’t just punching the sled, it was where the punch was placed including slant drills.  The work on foot placement and bend. Watching those few clips when we can hear Stout is amazing.  Every movement is choreographed and repeated until it is natural.

I would agree with the ranking... Stoutland, Castillo, and Mudd.   But, that's not to slight Mudd.   Mudd was a guy who could really take undersized guys and help them find a way to maximize their athleticism.   Kelce and Mathis... those guys became Pro Bowl level players with Mudd.  Castillo always had the bottom rung of the OL able to step in and compete.  Going all the way back, the Eagles invested heavily at OT (Thomas, Runyan and later Peters... even Winston Justice.), but generally didn't invest in the iOL.  Those were college OTs that weren't athletic enough to play OT in the NFL (the exception was Andrews, but he even was projected to move outside at some point... and Bobbie Williams.)  The rest of the iOL were late round picks and UDFAs.  Hank Fraley, Bubba Miller, Mike McGlynn, Nick Cole, Todd Herremanns who could have played any position on the OL except center (he was just too tall for that), and a few others.   

1 hour ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

And again arm strength and arm talent are two different things. Arm strength is how far one can throw/velocity. Arm talent is that plus accuracy, release, making all the throws, throwing a catchable ball, etc. 

Completing 52% of your passes does not make me feel good about his arm talent. Neither does getting benched in a championship game for a guy that has average NFL arm talent. 

And again, If I’m wrong on Hurts, I’ll be the first to admit it. I think he’s Taysom Hill/Tyrod Taylor, not McNabb. 

What's wrong with his release? Can you walk me through what you see wrong with his release? 

Also how does he not throw a catchable ball? I didn't see that at all last season. I saw him throw some very catchable balls, knowing when to put touch on a pass to get it over a defender and when to throw with velocity to fit it into a WR quickly.  McNabb who you reference on the otherhand is someone who would constantly try to throw the ball as hard as he could which did lead to more difficult catches for receivers and throws that were often darted at the feet of receivers because he was trying to throw with too much force for a pass that did not require it. 

12 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Won’t see enough targets , he will split catches with Brate and Howard at TE

and WOs will see the vast majority with

AB , Evans , Godwin ,Miller ,Johnson and the rookie ,Darden .

mans they added Bernard as a 3rd down receiving back .

That's fair but Gronk is still a top 5 TE.  Goedert doesnt get that many targets or at least it doesnt seem like he does.

Per espn , I can’t say I agree 

Interesting note from last weekend's story on Jordan Palmer. He said Auburn QB Bo Nix will be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 draft:

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

That's fair but Gronk is still a top 5 TE.  Goedert doesnt get that many targets or at least it doesnt seem like he does.

Plus the fact that he is an absolutely dominant blocking TE. Might still be the best blocking TE in the league. 

9 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I think he could be if giving the chance to just be a receiving option 

that said , I don’t agree with that top 5 list

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Unfortunately a great work ethic isn't something a lot of players have at this level.  You have a lot of very talented players that make it to the NFL and waste their talent.  They get that big pay check feel like they made it Becuase they were the biggest fish in the pond at their university and they squander the opportunity of a lifetime instead of working hard they go and spend their money and live a lavish lifestyle that comes with being very oung and rich. 

Every report of Hurts coming out of college and so far in the NFL is that his work ethic is one of his strengths. Whether that allows him to become a great player or not remains to be seen however having your team's young QB be someone who does possess a strong work ethic and is very serious about taking advantage of the opportunity presented to them will only be a benefit to the rest of that young locker room in this new regime. 

Your team's culuture will often reflect how your QB carries himself. 

I am sure you have no idea how hard it is and how much work it is required to make it to the NFL let alone have a career.  Every NFL player has had to have work ethic to get to this level.  Not making it in the NFL almost has nothing ever to do with work ethic.   

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I am sure you have no idea how hard it is and how much work it is required to make it to the NFL let alone have a career.  Every NFL player has had to have work ethic to get to this level.  Not making it in the NFL almost has nothing ever to do with work ethic.   

Josh Gordon says hi. 

That being said... I could have woken up every day since I was 2 years old, doing nothing but preparing for an NFL career and would never have made it. Hard work isn’t enough for most people to become successful NFL QBs. 

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

So Haynesworth had a great work ethic? Johnny Manzeil had a great work ethic? Mike Vick prior to prison had a great work ethic?  Isn't the knock of Fulgham is that there are reports of a bad work ethic? 

Weren't the reports we have been getting for years on Wentz were issues with his work ethic and refusing to listen to coaches or run certain plays in practice? 

3 minutes ago, blindside said:

Josh Gordon says hi. 

Was Gordon's problem his work ethic or addiction? But even so, how many rookies do you think don't make it because of work ethic? 

Just now, NCiggles said:

Was Gordon's problem his work ethic or addiction? But even so, how many rookies do you think don't make it because of work ethic? 

Didn't the Titans just trade their 2020 first round OT Isaiah Wilson to the Dolphins for a bag of peanuts due to a piss poor work ethic? 

23 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Stupidity

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Not a big percentage, but there are definitely guys who get to the pros mostly with natural ability and don’t put in a lot of work. But I would assume most work their ass off to get there. 

Archived