EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I always thought Luck was overrated as a prospect and as an nfl player.

While he certainly belonged at the top of the draft, I felt the generational talk crossed the line. He was your typical, yearly top of the class qb prospect, IMO.

Disagreed on this. Luck was definitely among the best prospects of the last few decades. Size, mobility, accuracy, intelligence, character. Definitely one of the best pure prospects to declare in the past few decades.

I mean, really, name a better prospect?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Don’t let him take credit for something I called a month ago.  That’s all I’ll say.  

Ive been right there with you i think if he’s cleared at some point that is coming or they’ll try their best to make it happen. 

43 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Deshaun Watson will be an Eagle in 2 weeks. 

Why would he come here over every other team that needs a QB?

7 minutes ago, TEW said:

Disagreed on this. Luck was definitely among the best prospects of the last few decades. Size, mobility, accuracy, intelligence, character. Definitely one of the best pure prospects to declare in the past few decades.

I would add to this if the colts had built the roster up like it is currently when he first got into the league i think Andrew luck might still be playing (i believe he wouldn’t have been as beat up) and i think he would’ve had even better statistics. 

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Depends on what happens with rodgers. If rodgers goes to Denver then what’s the market they are competing with? Maybe the Dolphins (feel like Tua is getting a chance this year; over a full year removed from the hip), Washington, maybe the giants, Vegas and maybe Carolina however they picked up darnold’s fifth year option (could always rescind and trade). Besides miami none of those teams are exactly thrilling. 

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Most of the other teams that needed a QB traded or drafted one 

8 hours ago, justrelax said:

Actually is unnecessary there, as are most adverbs. I forgive you though.

lol   Well, I teach science not grammar.  

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Depends on what happens with rodgers. If rodgers goes to Denver then what’s the market they are competing with? Maybe the Dolphins (feel like Tua is getting a chance this year; over a full year removed from the hip), Washington, maybe the giants, Vegas and maybe Carolina however they picked up darnold’s fifth year option (could always rescind and trade). Besides miami none of those teams are exactly thrilling. 

Skins would be the closest to competing IMO

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think that'd matter really

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Yeah but he is going from one dysfunctional owner to Daniel synder. Not exactly thrilling. Team is good around him and rivera I’m guessing he’d respect. Not sure he wants to go to another dysfunctional owner. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I feel like whoever is in on him is going to be able to convince him to come there with likely a new deal or more money coming his way. 

14 minutes ago, TEW said:

I think he belonged #1 overall, so I’m not really here to bash Luck.  I just don’t see what separated him from most #1 overall qbs.

Mayfield and Murray?  Sure.  Reaches.

But guys like Lawrence, Burrow...even Stafford, Bradford...I don’t think there is a gap.

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

How would that not matter? Teams on his list like Chicago, San Francisco and Jets just used premium picks on QB’s, that takes them out of the market. His choices are limited now and throw on top he’s at best a sex pest. He doesn’t have the leverage to demand where he goes. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

How would that not matter? Teams on his list like Chicago, San Francisco and Jets just used premium picks on QB’s, that takes them out of the market. His choices are limited now and throw on top he’s at best a sex pest. He doesn’t have the leverage to demand where he goes. 

I didn't know he had a public list. He's a top QB who is still young though. He also has a no trade clause

WFT is the one team that under no circumstances can go get Watson. That club can't make a guy with sex related accusation as the face of their franchise, not after their own sex related scandals.

4 hours ago, Next_Up said:

Am I correct in understanding that all the negative toward Hurts is because of the concern that he is a 1-read QB? Is this the measure that will be primarily used to evaluate his play regardless of Ws or other offense stats with the underlying concern that a "1-read and take off" QB doesn't result in a top tier team?

I'm genuinely asking because I'm trying to understand all the negativity toward this kid

It's a lot of things:

- The fact that he, throughout college and so far in the pros, is a one read QB.

- The fact that he completed 52% of his passes 

- The fact that when defenses were not playing prevent/actually made adjustments he was absolutely putrid.

- The fact that he was near the top of the league (I believe) in fumbles despite only playing 3 full games.

- The fact that he got increasingly worse with each start. He beat the Saints and had a good first half. He only had a good quarter against the Cardinals. He only had a few good drives against Dallas. Washington was a crap show.

There are a lot of concerns.

Don't misunderstand, as some people do. I truly hope the kid shuts me up. I hope he's the greatest player to ever wear an Eagles jersey. I commend him for being a (seemingly) good dude and working hard. 

But I have serious reservations about him going forward.

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Couldn’t handle Carson having the same number. Shows mental weakness. 

Other than Koy, does Hurts have a girlfriend? I've never seen her or heard her mentioned.

Clearly lacks confidence.

I think this would’ve been the last year on Luck’s contract. If he were to come back next year, would the Colts have the rights to him? Simply just curious how that works - know it’s not happening.

7 hours ago, rambo said:

If Hurts proves he's the real deal then that's great for the Eagles.   They have a franchise QB on the cheap for 3 more years with lots of draft capital and hopefully cap space by the time he's due for an extension to build a team around.  I have my reservations about whether he'll be successful but if he pans out the Eagles will be in great shape.  Some fans irrationally hate him because of where he was drafted but that's not his fault.  That blame can be placed solely on Lowie.  If he flops we at least have ammo to get our new franchise QB.  So cheers to a hopefully good season from our QB and new coaching staff.  Can't wait for real football. 

That’s the thought process. I don’t really see hate but rational skepticism, to he’ll be nothing more than the 12th best QB at best which won’t win any SB and some who thought he being drafted in the 2nd was the beginning of the end of Wentz in Philly. I guess an OL in the 2nd might have saved the season and Wentz would still be here, you decide if thats good or bad. Myself, I blame Lowie for extending CW because after 2017 there was nothing but hope. The 12th best QB ceiling syndrome but at a premium

7 hours ago, purplefiggy said:

I think, at least for me, that’s an oversimplification. My concern is that he relies more on his legs than his arm as a QB. Don’t know if that’s an inability to read defenses, a lack of pocket presence, a lack of trust in what’s around him, or an over reliance on his athleticism. 

but my concern is that for whatever reason he won’t let plays develop and take advantage of whatever materializes beyond the first few moments from snap. 

Taking the easy wins when thrown in there for his first few games as a pro I think is acceptable but that’s all we have to go on. If it continues too far into next season the hunt is on. I submit the threat of him running is a nice weapon that can help open up the receivers when presented. If he learns that nuance the complaints should stop

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I think he belonged #1 overall, so I’m not really here to bash Luck.  I just don’t see what separated him from most #1 overall qbs.

But guys like Lawrence, Burrow...even Stafford, Bradford...I don’t think there is a gap.

Well when you're compared to the best QB prospect of all time...Elway (and probably 2nd best QB to ever play the game) you certainly belong #1 by a mile.  

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Lawrence, OK. But Luck was a way better prospect than the other 3, especially Bradford. 

13 hours ago, thedanone82 said:

Nah but I rather hope that he is

Sure, I would love to be wrong and the guy lead us to several super bowl wins

If we wake up one of these days to find out that Howie has traded 3 1st round picks for Watson that will not be good news IMO.  This team lacks so much talent and having 3 1st round picks puts them in a prime position to not only add top end talent next year but also continue to stockpile high picks in years to come.  A few of us on here have discussed how there really is no way Howie uses all 3 1st round picks next year, rather he should use two of them on top players and hopefully the 3rd can be traded for a 2023 1st.  

2022 is going to be a LOADED draft class and they currently have 10 picks, 5 in the 1st 3 rounds.  Ertz potentially brings back a 5th/6th and that's wishful thinking.  

1st

1st (Miami)

1st/2nd (Indy)

2nd

3rd

4th

5th 

5th

6th

7th 

The reality however, is that Howie seems to want value more than top end talent.  He's most likely looking at those 1st round draft picks as currency to buy Watson from the Texans rather than lottery tickets at the best players coming in to the NFL. In Howie's mind, he doesn't need to have 1st round picks in 2022 because the draft is so deep that talented players will get pushed down to later rounds.  We've seen this mindset when there have been loaded positions in past drafts (RB, WR, DT to name a few recent ones).  There very well could be 40 players with 1st round grades but a team lacking as much overall talent like the Eagles is in no position to keep ignoring building a team rather than focusing on 1 player.

Archived