EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

image.png.d7f7fad0bce7c85440fa1f1cd26ab580.png

Thanks for the Safety help.  Interesting take.  One could argue LB is the single greatest position of need-and after the Nit the drop-off appears steep.

10 minutes ago, Greenakers2 said:

Thanks for the Safety help.  Interesting take.  One could argue LB is the single greatest position of need-and after the Nit the drop-off appears steep.

I would just go all out. Trade down to 9 and pick Parsons. Then pick jabril cox in the third. Sure up the lbers for the next five years.

16 minutes ago, Greenakers2 said:

Interesting note on safety. Note sure how true it is but figured I’d post what i saw 

4 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Needs to dip into the 4.4’s for that.

He just might.  Guy's a freak.

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Interesting note on safety. Note sure how true it is but figured I’d post what i saw 

This makes me think Mills comes back.  I really think he could be a better than average safety if he has solid CBs and a defensive coach who knows how to play to his players strengths. 

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

This makes me think Mills comes back.  I really think he could be a better than average safety if he has solid CBs and a defensive coach who knows how to play to his players strengths. 

Gannon get credit for fixing Xavier Rhodes after he got cut from Minny, definite positive.

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Money is tight; I’d rather see K’Von Wallace develop for $1M than waste another $4M on Mills 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/10/2/21497914/colts-scouting-journal-time-to-stop-calling-the-colts-a-cover-2-defense

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/23/22246433/report-eagles-to-hire-colts-dbs-coach-jonathan-gannon-as-their-new-defensive-coordinator

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-indianapolis-colts-finally-built-a-defensive-monster/

The Eagles defense is not that far off from what the Colts do, a one gap front four that gets pressure and stuffs the run, but the Colts run a more sophisticated cover scheme than Schwartz generally did and protect their CBs better.

Ironically, it calls for tall, lengthy CBs like Seattle, after the Eagles let Dougas, Jones and Ware walk the last few years. So there may be a total turnover of DB personnel other than Slay.

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/10/2/21497914/colts-scouting-journal-time-to-stop-calling-the-colts-a-cover-2-defense

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/23/22246433/report-eagles-to-hire-colts-dbs-coach-jonathan-gannon-as-their-new-defensive-coordinator

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-indianapolis-colts-finally-built-a-defensive-monster/

The Eagles defense is not that far off from what the Colts do, a one gap front four that gets pressure and stuffs the run, but the Colts run a more sophisticated cover scheme than Schwartz generally did and protect their CBs better.

Ironically, it calls for tall, lengthy CBs like Seattle, after the Eagles let Dougas, Jones and Ware walk the last few years. So there may be a total turnover of DB personnel other than Slay.

FWIW Jacquet is 6’2.  Both Surtain Jr. and Caleb Farley are 6’2, as far as draft targets go

don't know how to feel yet, but i want to be cautiously optimistic about this new philanapolis cogles timeline that's forming. :-)

On 1/23/2021 at 3:51 AM, RLC said:

If Penei Sewell can play G in year 1, he's the perfect pick IMO.

Sounds good but then you would plan to move him to T, too high for a G. The evaluation of Wentz needs to be fair and thorough so I hope a healthy Lane, Brooks and Kelce are present. If Sewell’s not there trade back. I think getting 2022 picks maybe more beneficial if expecting a far more normal college football season this year, better for evaluating 

7 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Jefferson went in the 20's... There's playmakers, you just have to select them. They'll be there at 6 and at 12. I'm in the boat of trading back because we're not 1 player away. Not even 2, or 3, etc. They need a ton of quality players which is going to make multiple years to acquire. 

nailed.gif.d29ac878f3dee2c1a02e9a974e7e17c8.gif

On 1/23/2021 at 3:52 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

No, Scott is not a 'good' any kind of back.  He's serviceable at best, JAG at most realistic.  Remove his amazing feats against the Giants and he might even struggle to achieve full JAG status.

But, this team needs to get a legit #2 RB.  A bigger back with receiving ability would be nice.   No more relying on the JAGs of the past that got overvalued because they were better than the dreck before them.   Scott would be fine for 2021, due to all the other issues, but if he's on the roster in 2022, then fire the entire scouting department, from Howie on down.

As for Sanders... he regressed and had a large number of drops.  He needs to correct that.

Should have at least 3 RB’s. IMO Scott a very good 3 a little of everything tough, quick, versatile, can block and can catch. Bigger fish to fry  including the 2nd RB. Still maybe Howard would work for a year or 2

On 1/23/2021 at 3:56 AM, Giddyunc said:

The affidavits ranged from potential improprieties (like you described) to outright fraud. There were affidavits that people signed, under the threat of perjury, where they alleged that they witnessed poll workers filling out empty absentee ballots. Others, such as the affidavit from a DEMOCRATIC poll watcher, alleged that hundreds of mail-in ballots in unsealed boxes contained 100% Biden votes. That's similar to the county that had military ballots cast 900-0 in favor of Biden. 

Again, this isn't to say that "the election was clearly stolen." However, raising these issues doesn't make one an insurrectionist. The media has created a narrative that anyone who questions the integrity of the election is someone who's attacking our democracy. 

Trade, you investigate that 💩 and Trumpsky’s  Ruskie money laundering get’s scrutinized. Deal ?

On 1/23/2021 at 4:26 AM, Ipiggles said:

Is there? Or is it just a perceived one? There is definitely a lack of minority coaches. And yes years ago, I'm with you there was systemic racism. But that doesn't mean there is still a systemic race issue today.

Could it be simply that the number of people who are (for lack of a better term -white) and are interested in a coaching career are actually higher in % over those who are POC? Could there just be a lack of interest in coaching from POC in relation to non POC? 

Rationalize much ? 

So much defense of white privilege around here, kinda sickening and I’m not even black. 

This just for you ip, even when Hurts sucked he gave us a much better chance of winning than Wentz and I ain’t a hater.

No mercy, nail that F’ing insurrectionist to the wall

On 1/23/2021 at 4:36 AM, Sack that QB said:

What made Bo sound like an idiot last night was how far he took it. Like, he was legit disappointed and upset and was basically "demanding an explanation" for why Lurie hired who he did.

If he wasn't so over the top with it and said something like "Lurie hasn't hired a black HC in a while, it would've been cool if Duce had gotten the nod" then I don't think anyone would've had an issue with it.

But propagating this nonsense just continues the divide. I mean think about it, Lurie has to be fearful of picking who he wants to run his own football team because people might call him racist. Not because he did anything racist. But because he made a simple choice.

That's why I say this all goes back to critical race theory. That racism doesn't need to be proven, you need to assume racism is everywhere(because America is a horribly racist and evil place) and it's up to the individual to prove they're not racist and atone in perpetuity for their inadvertent racism.

It's a psychological power play to guilt people. And people like Bo have bought into it.

Institutional racism, probably not black and white enough for you ... conveniently 😜

On 1/23/2021 at 4:38 AM, BigEFly said:

Scott is a role player, just like Ward.  You have to have those players on your roster.  I would argue that both are good role players.  Greg Lewis was a role player, all he did was catch first downs.  Jason Avant was a good role player, great routes for short level pickups and a solid ST player.  Brent Celek, role player.  Big V, role player.  Quentin Mikell, role player.  Just about every LB in the last decade, role player.  Beau Allen, role player.  Vinny Curry, role player.  

Scott has a 4.4 yards per carry record and a 79% catch ratio with an 8.5 yards per reception rate.  About what one would hope for from a #3 RB.  

Ward is a product of how Pederson used the slot receiver that last couple of years.  5.3 yards to target this year but his average yards per reception was 7.9. 68% catch rate.  Best on the team of the WRs.  Can we improve at that position and move Ward down the pecking order?  Absolutely.  But he can be a Greg Lewis type player on this team.   

Both Ward and Scott got cast into positions above where they should be at this point.  Scott, while talented (great center of gravity and height to weight ratio) should not be the only back up to Sanders. That is a hole they need to fill.

BTW, every player on the roster regressed in catch percentage this year.  That lies on  Wentz, Hurts and mostly Doug and Press Taylor.  Taylor was raised to passing game coordinator, given a #1 pick plus two speedsters plus Ward and the passing game regressed.  

Don’t downplay the role players. We will never have a team where every player is an All Pro. Thing is, Sirianni has a reputation of using players for their strengths.  Scott should excel under him.  

Scott > Ward for their respective positions IMO. Not sure why they didn’t try Huntley at KR, great in space which he had little of 

On 1/23/2021 at 4:49 AM, NCiggles said:

I'm not going to engage this but any affidavit is completed with a "threat of perjury."  It doesn't make what is in the affidavit true, credible or even admissible as evidence.  Also, you should just read the judges' decisions in these cases. What you cited as "evidence" is just internet rumor and fantasy.  People need to get a grip on reality.  

Are you denying their rights to alternative facts ? Very inconvenient 

On 1/23/2021 at 5:07 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But isn't that different? Isn't that physical genetics more than anything else?

You mean when capability meets opportunity ? If you have capabilities, opportunities aren’t guaranteed are they ?

On 1/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, BigEFly said:

An affidavit in a binder for press purposes does not equate to one filed in a court proceeding and it much less likely to warrant a perjury charge, I would think we would both agree. I believe that most of the affidavits suggested in earlier posts never were attached to a court pleading.  You and I both play (played in my case) in the judicial arena and we know the price.  I will never forget the pure joy of winning a bogus venue challenge by showing the affiant could not have been truthful.  She was sanctioned, dropped by her attorneys as a litigant and lucky to not serve jail time.  Knowing the firm involved, to this day, I suspect they had a role in the false swearing as they had previously tampered with evidence. Presenting a binder at Doug Mastriano’s bogus "hearing” would not warrant the same level of scrutiny for perjury as an affidavit filed in court.  I believe absent the use of such affidavits in a legal proceeding that false swearing would not rise to the level of a perjury charge.  

So for Twitter errr I mean Parler purposes ???

68C7787B-7012-4096-B1CC-B9C48A991776.jpeg

1 hour ago, The guy in France said:

Should have at least 3 RB’s. IMO Scott a very good 3 a little of everything tough, quick, versatile, can block and can catch. Bigger fish to fry  including the 2nd RB. Still maybe Howard would work for a year or 2

Nah.  Rb3 needs to be a core 4 ST player.  Scott is not.  RB3 cannot be a RB only, thats poor roster management.  They tried the experiment, it failed.  Time to look for some other JAG RB that can play ST to stick around.  Should be easy enough to find too, RBs are everywhere.

And I'm talking vet minimum RBs and UDFA RBs.

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ehh, agree that should be the approach, but this GM needs more throws at the dart board and hope to luck into a bullseye.

Quantity matters for any GM, due to the crapshoot nature of drafting. I guess the question is whether Howie historically has generated more value by giving away draft picks in trades vs acquiring them?

6 hours ago, austinfan said:

As I read this, I wonder if a major flaw for both Doug and Schwartz was running schemes that were too simple given the level of roster talent. You can win simply if you have superior talent but more wrinkles can help mask some skill deficiencies - a la our beloved Philly Philly. 

Archived