EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ehh, agree that should be the approach, but this GM needs more throws at the dart board and hope to luck into a bullseye.

I like more throws at the board but not at the expense of passing on talent that could help your team. For me, trading back is a great tool when your guy isn’t there or there are a bunch of guys you like equally.

but you shouldn’t pass on a great choice just for more picks or for squeezing out every last drop of value. 

In fact, I’d rather pick "our guy” a half round too early than risk not getting him at all.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I waking up seeing political BS on the forums? Erg you all need keep to the eagles chat. Go make a post in off topic if you wanna get political.

On that note.

It seems a lot of teams wanna get a QB this year as the silly rumors others are saying that next year draft is weak at QB then teams will wanna move up. Now that lions are wanting to move on from their QB, that is another team wanting a top QB. Picking at 7 and swapping us might be very profitable as it stops another team say like Panthers at 8 who might be looking or Denver at 9. I think we can easy move down a spot or 2 staying in top 10 and still get the player we want. This is not a bad spot to be in. Howie is good at getting us draft picks. The problem is he doesn't know what to do after that.

Excited for draft night as being in at 6 with at least teams in 7th 8th and 9th might wanting a QB this year.

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Interesting note on safety. Note sure how true it is but figured I’d post what i saw 

That tweet just incited another DiBona.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

That tweet just incited another DiBona.

It's a two way street though.  That tends to open up the running game and you need better LB play. 

3 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

It's a two way street though.  That tends to open up the running game and you need better LB play. 

Yep! let's get some LBs

2 hours ago, The guy in France said:

Rationalize much ? 

So much defense of white privilege around here, kinda sickening and I’m not even black. 

This just for you ip, even when Hurts sucked he gave us a much better chance of winning than Wentz and I ain’t a hater.

No mercy, nail that F’ing insurrectionist to the wall

Stfu and gtfo with this garbage

Stop injecting race into every aspect of life, f off

23 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

I like more throws at the board but not at the expense of passing on talent that could help your team. For me, trading back is a great tool when your guy isn’t there or there are a bunch of guys you like equally.

but you shouldn’t pass on a great choice just for more picks or for squeezing out every last drop of value. 

In fact, I’d rather pick "our guy” a half round too early than risk not getting him at all.

Trouble I see is that they don't have 'our guy' identified... which is why the Reagor/Jefferson debate lasted until draft day.   That discussion should have been had LONG before draft day ever arrives.   Then there's no hard feelings in the moment.  And I find it disturbing and disgusting if Howie overruled the scouts who have been here for a long time for a guy who was just brought in, against the HC's wishes and his opinion carried the most weight.  It doesn't matter to me though, Howie is to blame.  Scouts say: "Jefferson is the guy."  Scamjello comes in at the last minute and he's the guy that gets the ear of the GM.   Just illustrates exactly how dysfunctional the relationship between GM and HC really was.

2 hours ago, The guy in France said:

Rationalize much ? 

So much defense of white privilege around here, kinda sickening and I’m not even black. 

This just for you ip, even when Hurts sucked he gave us a much better chance of winning than Wentz and I ain’t a hater.

No mercy, nail that F’ing insurrectionist to the wall

why must everything be about race? 

i long for a time when skin color is never an topic, when we truly are one race. It wont happen in my lifetime. What i do know is the more we lable and place people into neat little boxes, the more we promote division. 

BTW i love the way you assume I must be white because i like wentz and suggested there may be an issue with the % of people who are POC not wanting to be coaches vs % of white people who do want to be. If you consider the % of POC is much higher as players, why then is there a lack of interest in % of POC in coaching?   You assume it must be systemic racism, i suggest it may be a career path people who are POC are not that interested in for reasons i do not know.

For the record, I am of mixed heritage, so you can stop your white quilt assumptions

On 1/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, Iggles_Phan said:

I like the idea of McCown as a QB coach and maybe a HC down the road. 

Pretty much this.  

12 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Trouble I see is that they don't have 'our guy' identified... which is why the Reagor/Jefferson debate lasted until draft day.   That discussion should have been had LONG before draft day ever arrives.   Then there's no hard feelings in the moment.  And I find it disturbing and disgusting if Howie overruled the scouts who have been here for a long time for a guy who was just brought in, against the HC's wishes and his opinion carried the most weight.  It doesn't matter to me though, Howie is to blame.  Scouts say: "Jefferson is the guy."  Scamjello comes in at the last minute and he's the guy that gets the ear of the GM.   Just illustrates exactly how dysfunctional the relationship between GM and HC really was.

Totally agree. For the record, I think Howie should be gone. 

however in terms of process, my post stands as my preferred path. 

7 hours ago, austinfan said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/10/2/21497914/colts-scouting-journal-time-to-stop-calling-the-colts-a-cover-2-defense

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/23/22246433/report-eagles-to-hire-colts-dbs-coach-jonathan-gannon-as-their-new-defensive-coordinator

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-indianapolis-colts-finally-built-a-defensive-monster/

The Eagles defense is not that far off from what the Colts do, a one gap front four that gets pressure and stuffs the run, but the Colts run a more sophisticated cover scheme than Schwartz generally did and protect their CBs better.

Ironically, it calls for tall, lengthy CBs like Seattle, after the Eagles let Dougas, Jones and Ware walk the last few years. So there may be a total turnover of DB personnel other than Slay.

The first link was very informative. 

8 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Money is tight; I’d rather see K’Von Wallace develop for $1M than waste another $4M on Mills 

These are the types of things that don’t happen for us.  And Wallace really never showed any signs of anything as a rookie.  He wasn’t Davion Taylor bad, but he didn’t look like a future starting safety.

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

There it is. 

Steichen doesn't do much for me. Depends on who calls the plays I guess.

I wonder if Modkins is a Rooney Rule interview. Has experience, but if they were serious about a RB coach, why not Duce or Lynn (prior to the DET hire).

2 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Steichen doesn't do much for me. Depends on who calls the plays I guess.

I wonder if Modkins is a Rooney Rule interview. Has experience, but if they were serious about a RB coach, why not Duce or Lynn (prior to the DET hire).

Not sure why they wouldn’t just hire Duce as OC. I was very anti Duce as HC, but I’m not opposed as OC.

Modkins was OC for lousy Bills offenses, was OC for Chip in his one horrible year in SF, and was the rb coach for a horrible Denver offense.

While he never had much personnel to work with in any of those stops, it’s not like he’s ever had good offensive results in his entire career to post as accomplishments.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Not sure why they wouldn’t just hire Duce as OC. I was very anti Duce as HC, but I’m not opposed as OC.

Modkins was OC for lousy Bills offenses, was OC for Chip in his one horrible year in SF, and was the rb coach for a horrible Denver offense.

While he never had much personnel to work with in any of those stops, it’s not like he’s ever had good offensive results in his entire career to post as accomplishments.

Duce has now been passed over for HC three times. It’s time to move on. It’s a passing league. Duce obviously doesn’t offer us much there. 

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

He just a rooney rule candidate

Lowie has taken advantage of hiring a new coach to spread a wide net, and I think one reason is watching AR run out of coaching options and Pederson having no clue who to hire outside the organization. They make mistakes, but they're smart enough to learn from those mistakes - like I used to tell people who worked for me, you're gonna make mistakes, just don't make the same mistakes. When this process is over, they should have a long list of position coaches and their pluses and minuses. The key now is to make this sort of information gathering routine, so you don't get caught flatfooted - if Sirianni is the real thing, his coaches will be moving on after a few years on a regular basis.

People focus on the draft and "names," but more and more the NFL is a player development league, a coach like Stoutland is invaluable b/c he raises the level of play of scrubs, and for every 1st rd pick at a position, you're going to end up playing 5 scrubs (later round picks, UDFAs, SFAs, waiver wire castoffs).

22 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Duce has now been passed over for HC three times. It’s time to move on. It’s a passing league. Duce obviously doesn’t offer us much there. 

loved Duce as a player, as a rb coach i can only judge him on what we know, his rbs were usually playing at an above avg level, running, catching, blocking.

I never liked his rotations, seemed like they would be switched out at odd times, when one was doing well. he would pull them off the field.

As an OC it gets harder to judge because Doug called the plays and so many were involved, but in my mind he is guilty by association. Since Frank left, our offense has become stale, predictible and lacked ability to flex with players strengths. we have tried to force square pegs into round holes, cause that is all they knew how to do. And the lack of sticking with the run game when it was so desperately needed, does not bode well for Duce. 

He was part of that, he was not strong enough to remind Doug "Run the freakin ball, when we needed to"

Yeah the players love him, so what, that is not the only factor in being a hc, if it was Buddy would have won multiple superbowls.

Archived