EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Thanks for LII, Duce. 

Honestly, can't fault Duce for this 100%.

IMO, he should do one of two things if he wants to be a HC
- Be a HC at a college program.
- Take a WR/QB position with another team.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays. 

BOOOOOOOOM

Waiting for the extension to be announced with a nice raise.

Lurie doesn't squeeze the checkbook when it comes to paying coaches.

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Adios.

Side note, too bad Douglas isn't still around. Feel like he would've been good with Slay on the other side in this new system.

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Not just LII but so many great years as a player, the pickle juice game, one amazing TD against the Cardinals (Donovan's broken ankle game), many other great games as an Eagle. 

Wish him nothing but the best.  I still think his best road to getting an NFL HC gig is to head down to a college program as an OC.

Unless someone will offer him an OC job, but it looks like that’s not on the table.

The key to 2021 is player development, not winning games, the latter should be a product of the former.

Both Sirianni and Gannon have a strong track record developing players, and Gannon as a former scout has an edge identifying players he can work with.

The collaborative model is just as good as the strong GM model, it all depends on the right people, a strong GM can deep six a franchise in two years, we've seen that around the league.

I have a lot more trust in Sirianni and Gannon advising Howie than Pederson and Schwartz in terms of what they're looking for in the draft, UDFAs, and SFAs.

Both Sirianni and Gannon have a lot of hands on coaching experience, whereas other than QB for Pederson, and really decades ago for Schwartz, they were more involved in game planning than hands on coaching. And other than Stoutland, what assistant coach on either side of the ball would you have confidence in the last few years? Note that Stoutland lobbied to draft Mailata.

The difference between Bieniemy and Duce, as an example, is that Bieniemy got an internal promotion on an elite offense when the OC got a HC job.  

That’s how a RB coach made the jump.  That technically could have been Duce in 2018, but he was passed over.

After that, our offense was never good.  So you were never going to see an internal RB coach promoted to OC.  And it’s an even more difficult sell for an external franchise to bring in a RB coach from the worst offense in the NFL as your OC.

Duce is stuck.

The Eagles were in a no-win situation here. It really doesn’t make sense for Sirianni to promote Duce to OC either. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Les is very much out of touch with the fan base.

He might be right about the locker room part.  Not saying he is, but there might be something there.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Les is very much out of touch with the fan base.

I think Les is right though. I don’t think the Blog is a reflection of the fan base in general. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

He might be right about the locker room part.  Not saying he is, but there might be something there.

Duce is the Assistant HC of a 4-11-1 team and the RB coach, the position with the highest turnover in the NFL.
This will not matter at all by 2022. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Duce is the Assistant HC of a 4-11-1 team and the RB coach, the position with the highest turnover in the NFL.
This will not matter at all by 2022. 

Doesn’t matter to me now.  And I was the first one to say that I could not care less about what the players think.  But there could be some unhappy players.  And like I said, I don’t care.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The key to 2021 is player development, not winning games, the latter should be a product of the former.

Both Sirianni and Gannon have a strong track record developing players, and Gannon as a former scout has an edge identifying players he can work with.

The collaborative model is just as good as the strong GM model, it all depends on the right people, a strong GM can deep six a franchise in two years, we've seen that around the league.

I have a lot more trust in Sirianni and Gannon advising Howie than Pederson and Schwartz in terms of what they're looking for in the draft, UDFAs, and SFAs.

Both Sirianni and Gannon have a lot of hands on coaching experience, whereas other than QB for Pederson, and really decades ago for Schwartz, they were more involved in game planning than hands on coaching. And other than Stoutland, what assistant coach on either side of the ball would you have confidence in the last few years? Note that Stoutland lobbied to draft Mailata.

It’s harder to develop players as coordinators, than position coaches, that said Gannon gets credit for saving Xavier Rhodes career. Minny cut him last year and Gannon got him back to almost pro bowl level.   It’s a shame he’s 30, he could come here on the cheap.    Hopefully they find the money to go after Malik Hooker as well.  He’s a FA. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Can't say I blame Duce to be fair. I think he needs to move on in order to further his career. 

Players like Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Kelce, Jason Peters, and Malcom Jenkins steer the locker room.

Peters and Jenkins can and will steer the locker room in the wrong direction if they are unhappy about something.  Cox, Graham, and Kelce will never do that.  Fortunately, Peters and Jenkins are gone.  

And the rest of the players...they need to be worried about either their roster spot or not getting traded.

So I’m not worried at all about players being upset about the hire.  That’s well above their pay grade.  

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Players like Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Kelce, Jason Peters, and Malcom Jenkins steer the locker room.

Peters and Jenkins can and will steer the locker room in the wrong direction if they are unhappy about something.  Cox, Graham, and Kelce will never do that.  Fortunately, Peters and Jenkins are gone.  

And the rest of the players...they need to be worried about either their roster spot or not getting traded.

So I’m not worried at all about players being upset about the hire.  That’s well above their pay grade.  

If anyone is upset then they can go with him to Chicago or Detroit and enjoy being sub-.500 every year and getting swept by the Packers until Aaron Rodgers retires. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays. 

BOOOOOOOOM

Best news of the offseason right there.

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

Maybe Sirianni has a relationship with one of the Colts football personnel people and can get him into the mix here. 

I hope so.. The colts drafts have been decent. Heck they drafted Nelson and Leonard in back to back picks of the same draft. Howie can only dream of making such picks.

36 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Thanks for LII, Duce. 

Sometimes you just have to move on.  I wish Duce well, but it wasn't going to happen here.  He might get a better opportunity elsewhere, but really needed to get more exposure to other teams.  He's basically been an Eagles guy since Day 1, except for the brief stint as a player in Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Another one. 

So is he the OC or are we doing another committee?

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think Les is right though. I don’t think the Blog is a reflection of the fan base in general. 

It isn't. There's lots that wanted Duce to get promoted

16 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Doesn’t matter to me now.  And I was the first one to say that I could not care less about what the players think.  But there could be some unhappy players.  And like I said, I don’t care.

If the new coaches prove their mettle, then Duce will be an afterthought.  If they suck, then it wouldn't matter if Duce was here or not.

Most of the "Duce guys" will likely be moving on soon anyway.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

So is he the OC or are we doing another committee?

It isn't. There's lots that wanted Duce to get promoted

They’ll have an OC and a passing game coordinator. 

Archived