Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

Featured Replies

Just now, Dave Moss said:

Which cities DON'T have downtown NBA arenas?   Every one I'm thinking of off the top of my head does.  

Memphis in the scary South has one downtown on Beale Street and I was never once shot at when had season tickets 

  • Replies 31.3k
  • Views 1.6m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

Posted Images

The Pistons moved their arena from Auburn Hills to Detroit 5 years ago.  The Cavaliers used to play at the Richland Coliseum years ago, but I think they've been in downtown Cleveland for a few decades now.

Yeah, the Cavs played here until 1994

 

AERIAL_VIEW_OF_THE_COLISEUM_BUILT_NEAR_INTERSTATE_271_SOUTH_OF_CLEVELAND,_OHIO._FARMS_NEAR_THE_STRUCTURE_EVENTUALLY..._-_NARA_-_558054.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Good god, man. Yeah, sorry we don't live in a crime-free society. The point is,  you're making it sound like it's gonna turn into the Warriors movie, and everyone else is like, yeah we've seen stadiums built in the USA before, not sure why this one is gonna bring about the fall of Rome.  

No. I’m acting like a city with a rise in crime, including car jackings will see an increase in crimes and car jackings when you bring in more people in a small area. Brooklyn had issues when the Barclays Center first opened and it took time for it to get better. But now with all the hipsters it’s basically a suburb. 

17 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Ok Lynched

:roll: 

Yea crazy that people become targets when drinking. 

13 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Right? I live a 5 minute walk from Barclays Center. 

Freakin lifelong suburbanites trying to act like I'm dodging bullets on my way to Target.   Yes, there's crime in cities. No, it's not a terrifying hellscape. 

I’ve lived in the city most of my life. There’s a reason we don’t have an arena in center city. 

I am good if they do it. I’d go see a game when i come back to visit family. I did like the naval yard location years ago more but that had a ton of issues with it. it makes sense as the sixers want to own their own arena and they believe they can infuse money into that area to build it up. I just don’t want them to just get to the point where they say screw it and just build one in Camden. 

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

Yea crazy that people become targets when drinking. 

Are you by yourself in this situation?  

Just now, Dave Moss said:

Are you by yourself in this situation?  

image.jpeg.2c1ca2bcf7eccffbc6e3ba707c2c3f4c.jpeg

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

image.jpeg.2c1ca2bcf7eccffbc6e3ba707c2c3f4c.jpeg

You said you wanted to get wasted at the game, right?   And you're worried that will make you an easy target.  I'm asking if you're by yourself in this scenario when you're leaving the arena.

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

You sound like somebody who has never been to Center City Philadelphia in their life.

😄 I have been a few times.....

I love the city, yes perhaps I was exaggerating the recent increase in crime we've been seeing. 

I just think you'd be crazy to drive to this stadium in this location from outside of the city. Public would be a thousand times better, and hopefully this brings on further investment into the public transit systems. 

Obviously this will work just fine, I've been to plenty of cities with the arena just plopped somewhere downtown and they seem to be doing just fine.

 

3 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

You said you wanted to get wasted at the game, right?   And you're worried that will make you an easy target.  I'm asking if you're by yourself in this scenario when you're leaving the arena.

No I didn’t say that at all. 

2 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

That area is fine

not like they are building it north of 676

Yeah, I don't understand that fear of this.  I'm not sure if some folks grasp the annual volume of tourists and conventioneers in that very area all the time.  Some of those conventions are massive with folks staying 2 or 3 days up to a week at a time.  This arena and surrounding development adds even more volume.  Volume = safety. 

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

I'm sure it'll be fun getting out of a parking garage in 1 lane of traffic in to congested city streets. 

Just as difficult as it is getting out of the sports complex parking lots, and these are all spread out.

31 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

No. I’m acting like a city with a rise in crime, including car jackings will see an increase in crimes and car jackings when you bring in more people in a small area. Brooklyn had issues when the Barclays Center first opened and it took time for it to get better. But now with all the hipsters it’s basically a suburb. 

Its in the center city business district for christ sake!  We're not talking about Spring Garden.  

This will be a great injection of life into Center City.  All for it!

By the way, the fact that the Sixers still have 8 years on their deal to play at the Wells Fargo is absurd.  I'm sure the TV contract with Comcast is about the same or worse.

How the hell did the NBA allow Comcast to buy the Sixers, milk it for cash during the Iverson years without making any investment to appreciate the value of the franchise (Hence them being the last NBA team with it's own practice facility while practicing at PCOM), then give themselves two sweetheart deals on tenant ship in the building they own and TV rights for the network they own before selling the team.

 

Sixers-Arena-Timeline_0.png

76Place_ProposedArenaMap.jpg

2 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

What about 5pm when fans will want to get down there and be parked so they can go to a bar beforehand and get a couple of drinks before paying for the overpriced arena ones?

Agree. I'd arrive at 5 for a 7:00 game and walk to chicken and petes.

According to that article, it's at 11th and MArket, not 8th,,,,   and it's on the wrong side of Market.

So it's either the Disney Quest parking lot or this:

image.thumb.png.8e821f0736ef56a1f8a671ef76ffad3d.png

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

Which cities DON'T have downtown NBA arenas?   Every one I'm thinking of off the top of my head does.  

That's a silly argument I keep seeing.  It presents an argument as if that is a better option because everyone else has it. 

Which cities have the best sports complex in America with the teams of all 4 major sports all within a block of each other? Outside of center city congestion, and right next to access to major highways? Pretty much only Philly.  

That's the ideal situation that we shouldn't be looking to get away from.  Just cause everyone else has it the other way doesn't mean that way is better. 

1 hour ago, barho said:

Just as difficult as it is getting out of the sports complex parking lots, and these are all spread out.

Getting out of eagles games sucks but getting out of 6ers games is a breeze. There is absolutely no way this will keep it just as smooth. 

 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

I’ve lived in the city most of my life. There’s a reason we don’t have an arena in center city. 

You nimby clowns? Or city incompetence/corruption

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Getting out of eagles games sucks but getting out of 6ers games is a breeze. There is absolutely no way this will keep it just as smooth. 

 

Tons of highway access near there. Piece of cake

27 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

That's a silly argument I keep seeing.  It presents an argument as if that is a better option because everyone else has it. 

Which cities have the best sports complex in America with the teams of all 4 major sports all within a block of each other? Outside of center city congestion, and right next to access to major highways? Pretty much only Philly.  

That's the ideal situation that we shouldn't be looking to get away from.  Just cause everyone else has it the other way doesn't mean that way is better. 

Downtown has much better bars and restaurants.  Better hotels.  Better shopping.  I’m not sure I understand the attraction of the sports complex.

8 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Downtown has much better bars and restaurants.  Better hotels.  Better shopping.  I’m not sure I understand the attraction of the sports complex.

the space to tailgate. the proximity to the other stadiums. The ease of access for out of towners....

I look forward to being able to explore that area of the city a little bit before games. But there is just no way the traffic situation isnt going to be a massive downgrade. And when you have a long commute to begin thats a big factor. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.