Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

From the sounds of it Hurts throws a very nice catchable deep ball reading about it makes me think of Foles deep ball. Lots of arc at times tended to underthrow it but very catchable allowed the WRs to make a play on it 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s early in camp but as of right now at RB find it hard to keep Gains I’d be looking for him to go on the mystery IR. Things can change but Scott Howard and Kerryon all seem to be doing well. 

Travis Fulgham said that his fall off last year had something to do with Alshon Jeffery’s return from injury. Jeffery wasn’t effective in return. Fulgham said it wasn’t his job to question the coaches. #Eagles

If this is true just terrible coaching play the guy who is producing. Can’t bench a guy that is playing well just because higher paid guy returns 

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:
Travis Fulgham said that his fall off last year had something to do with Alshon Jeffery’s return from injury. Jeffery wasn’t effective in return. Fulgham said it wasn’t his job to question the coaches. #Eagles

If this is true just terrible coaching play the guy who is producing. Can’t bench a guy that is playing well just because higher paid guy returns 

Very true! But then Fulgham shouldn't have been affected by Jeffrey returning. His form dropped off it wasn't just that Jeffrey took his snaps. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But then Fulgham shouldn't have been affected by Jeffrey returning. His form dropped off it wasn't just that Jeffrey took his snaps. 

Shouldn’t have been probably but was a young WR that was thriving in one role and Alshon came back we just decided this Alshon role you have to do something else not the easiest transition for a young guy. 

Fulgham definitely had some faults mainly his practicing which he seems to be trying to correct this year. 

7 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Two notes from training camp today is that Zech McPhearson is the starting corner with Slay on a rest day and Davion Taylor out for an extended period of time with a calf injury.

It will be interesting to see how the corners do in the preseason. My guess is that Slay and Nelson will not play much if at all, and that McPhearson, James and Jacquet will be on the outside. With Scott and Maddox almost locks to make it, I think those three are figthing for two spots. 

Been hearing James has been having another great camp. He’s in. Wouldn’t surprise me if he overtakes Nelson.

6 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Don’t like to hear it but I wasn’t expecting Sanders to be our primary pass catcher… I was hoping for Gains to step up but he seems invisible right now…

But with Kerryon and Scott should be fine. 

Huntley keeps flashing that game breaking speed. He’s fighting for a spot right now.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Very true! But then Fulgham shouldn't have been affected by Jeffrey returning. His form dropped off it wasn't just that Jeffrey took his snaps. 

Yeah there were rumors swirling about defenders kind of figuring out Fulgham’s game. Also maybe a little bit of brash uncoachable stuff going on. Seemed like they were trying to get his head straight and listen….put him in check.

18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Huntley keeps flashing that game breaking speed. He’s fighting for a spot right now.

Huntley sneaking on the squad wouldn’t shock me though I think it would be primarily for his return ability… 5 RBs could be likely.

Just another reason I just don’t think we can carry 10 OL on active roster think 8-9 with some stashed on the PS 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Been hearing James has been having another great camp. He’s in. Wouldn’t surprise me if he overtakes Nelson.

I’ve literally heard nothing on James seems to be the odd man out 

An interesting tweet.

Chris Trapasso on Twitter: "Source: Talks are heating up between #Eagles and #Texans on a Deshaun Watson trade. Still some hurdles to get over. But both sides attempting to come to an agreement." / Twitter

This is such a bizarre situation. The team getting Watson has almost no risk. It's a $10 million gamble this year, and if he goes to jail after the season, the Eagles aren't on the hook for anything. And with our oline and our defense looking good, the owner has to be thinking that a qb like Watson could win him a trophy. 

But can you trade for this guy?

And what would you give up? 

The risk is that the commish puts him on his exempt list. Then you traded for a QB to be the starter which shows no confidence in the guy that is starting.

My price has been at a first and second in 2022 draft plus a first and second in 2023 draft.

Davion Taylor picked up his second injury of camp already. Week to week designation on his calf. No idea where that puts him.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The risk is that the commish puts him on his exempt list. Then you traded for a QB to be the starter which shows no confidence in the guy that is starting.

Jalen Hurts is still in the very early stages of his career, and spending a year or two learning behind Watson would be no bad thing, in my book…

Hurts’s style of play is/will be similar to Watson’s anyway, so a couple of years watching and learning from Watson would make Hurts a better player in the future, I think…

This situation is so different from the whole Wentz/Hurts debacle…at least Hurts was always drafted to be a backup (for now) and a bit of an insurance policy…if he ended up backing up Watson rather than Wentz for a couple of seasons, I can’t see how Hurts would have a major issue with that…

If the Eagles can get Watson for $10m this season, and with no cap hit if he isn’t with them for ‘22 and beyond (for whatever reason), and provided they don’t give up too much, I can see why Howie/The Eagles are taking a long hard look at this…

The ‘21 Eagles are so much better on paper now (both off & Def) than they looked a few months ago…and if Ertz’s problems can be sorted out, and he stays on the team and plays lights out for his next contract, I think we could be a very good team with Watson at the helm…

It will be interesting to see how this plays out…

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Said from the start if we traded off Watson believe Hurts will be part of the deal. Doesn’t make any sense for the Texans not to ask for him plus picks. Dillard could be another name we try and toss in there. I’d image Texans would want young players.

Cox and Ertz would be two other names I could see us offering in a trade not sure the Texans would want them though at there ages and pay.

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

An interesting tweet.

Chris Trapasso on Twitter: "Source: Talks are heating up between #Eagles and #Texans on a Deshaun Watson trade. Still some hurdles to get over. But both sides attempting to come to an agreement." / Twitter

This is such a bizarre situation. The team getting Watson has almost no risk. It's a $10 million gamble this year, and if he goes to jail after the season, the Eagles aren't on the hook for anything. And with our oline and our defense looking good, the owner has to be thinking that a qb like Watson could win him a trophy. 

I don't believe any of it. First, Lurie keeps bragging of how he puts women first and has the largest women administration of any Football team. How would this look trading for a player with Watson's demeanor? Second, I heard Houston's local papers have written the guilt/innocent issue has all but been clarified. 3 of the 4 women with the most credible evidence (including DM's from Watson and the Masseuse) are not in it for any money settlement, They only want him charged so have no ulterior motive. Next, there is a load of dead money that Houston would have to eat. More than Eagles did. Last, Hurts would have to be a part of the deal. So who does the Eagles put in at QB should Watson not be able to play.

I get it. Watson makes the Eagles better. But I am not the only one who wants no part of him on this team. The guy is a POS as far as I am concerned.

23 minutes ago, stine said:

I don't believe any of it. First, Lurie keeps bragging of how he puts women first and has the largest women administration of any Football team. How would this look trading for a player with Watson's demeanor? Second, I heard Houston's local papers have written the guilt/innocent issue has all but been clarified. 3 of the 4 women with the most credible evidence (including DM's from Watson and the Masseuse) are not in it for any money settlement, They only want him charged so have no ulterior motive. Next, there is a load of dead money that Houston would have to eat. More than Eagles did. Last, Hurts would have to be a part of the deal. So who does the Eagles put in at QB should Watson not be able to play.

I get it. Watson makes the Eagles better. But I am not the only one who wants no part of him on this team. The guy is a POS as far as I am concerned.

The dead money is $10 million this year and $10 million next year, which is doable for Houston. Secondly, the criminal case is clearly complicated, so it is way too early to be thinking he is going to be charged with anything. These cases are never easy, and if they had a slam dunk victim, he would have been indicted already.

As far as a backup QB, we have Flacco to step in.

Lastly, the price is going to be super cheap. Watson pretty much has to be traded because the last thing the Texans want to do is pay him his base salary this year. I already outlined one trade I think is doable, Hurts plus two or three high draft picks that are conditional on Watson being on the roster before the next draft. So if he gets indicted, the Eagles can walk away from him with no dead money and retain their draft picks. If the situation gets resolved and they keep him, the Texans get the draft picks.

The issue thus becomes, can Lurie stomach the signing and withstand the backlash?

Well, if he thinks the choice is lose with Hurts or win with Watson, it makes the equation complicated, especially if there is no risk to the team beyond losing a QB you don't believe in anyway. The Democrats overlooked credible sexual harassment allegations against Joe Biden to win the presidency. Would Lurie be any more morally repugnant for selling his soul to win a Super Bowl?

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

People really sleeping on Joe he isn’t flashy but he can get the job done in a pinch and he seems to be fully over his injuries that were hindering him for couple years…. No Joe isn’t the future but definitely win some games if needed.  Everything I’ve read is he has been making great decisions in camp and still has the big arm. Definitely way worse backup options 

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

The dead money is $10 million this year and $10 million next year, which is doable for Houston. Secondly, the criminal case is clearly complicated, so it is way too early to be thinking he is going to be charged with anything. These cases are never easy, and if they had a slam dunk victim, he would have been indicted already.

Lastly, the price is going to be super cheap. Watson pretty much has to be traded because the last thing the Texans want to do is pay him his base salary this year. I already outlined one trade I think is doable, Hurts plus two or three high draft picks that are conditional on Watson being on the roster before the next draft. So if he gets indicted, the Eagles can walk away from him with no dead money and retain their draft picks. If the situation gets resolved and they keep him, the Texans get the draft picks.

The issue thus becomes, can Lurie stomach the signing and withstand the backlash?

Well, if he thinks the choice is lose with Hurts or win with Watson, it makes the equation complicated, especially if there is no risk to the team beyond losing a QB you don't believe in anyway. The Democrats overlooked credible sexual harassment allegations against Joe Biden to win the presidency. Would Lurie be any more morally repugnant for selling his soul to win a Super Bowl?

If Watson thinks he can go from not practicing to leading the league in passing yards again… he’s sorely mistaken. He didn’t lead the league in passing yards last year by playing safety in training camp. He didn’t throw 33 touchdowns over 16 games by participating at the minimal acceptable amount.

This is about the person and his intentions as an athlete. If Watson is willing to conduct himself in this behavior on the Texans, general managers have a multitude of questions to ask themselves. Do they think he’ll bring a different attitude to their organization? Is this the person we want running our franchise? Am I willing to bet my team’s future and my own job security on this player?

Last we heard from NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo, four teams were still interested in trading for Deshaun Watson. Those teams are the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Philadelphia Eagles, and Miami Dolphins. All four of those teams have starting quarterbacks under the age of 24, each one of them being either a first or second round pick. It would be a lot safer to invest in the young and promising talent in your locker room that isn’t facing criminal charges and has been practicing all offseason than another quarterback who hasn’t. Sure, Watson can lead just about any team to the playoffs and beyond. But just like what he’s doing with the Texans, Watson could also set anyone of those franchises back multiple seasons. The combination of the lost draft picks to acquire Watson and the time wasted if he is suspended would damage the reputation, locker room, and win column of the team who decides to trade for him.

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Watson's GUARANTEED CONTRACT IS ONLY $10.54 mIL IN 2021, BUT IT IS 35 mIL IN 2022 AND 37 MIL IN 2023. All of this is guaranteed. So if he pulls the same stunt with Philly that he is doing to Houston, we will be done for 5 years as a franchise, IF you are good with that, more power to ya....

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Watson's GUARANTEED CONTRACT IS ONLY $10.54 mIL IN 2021, BUT IT IS 35 mIL IN 2022 AND 37 MIL IN 2023. All of this is guaranteed. So if he pulls the same stunt with Philly that he is doing to Houston, we will be done for 5 years as a franchise, IF you are good with that, more power to ya....

You are half right. His salary for 2022 is gtd. His 2023 salary isn't until next year. So the Eagles would be on the hook for $35 million. But if we release him before the start of the league year next year, we wouldn't have to pay the 2023 money.

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Still, 35 million is a big hit...

Yup, it certainly makes things much more complicated. What a strange contract for the Texans to negotiate. It makes no sense to structure it the way they did.

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Still, 35 million is a big hit...

In today’s NFl that about the norm for a Franchise QB Mahomes and Dak over 40m…. Rodgers and Wilson around that 35 mark. Talks that Allen and Lamar will both be near that 40m a year. 
Even guys like Tannehill making around 30m now. 

Archived