Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Speaking of other project sounding like if we are going to keep Ertz that Tyree Jackson should become our 3rd TE…. Seems to be starting off strong at camp huge frame 6’7 250 been catching everything and doing extra work with Ertz help his releases and stuff.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda wish we would rotate the QBs with the 1s 2s and 3s like it seems we have with every other position. 

I don’t think Hurts is in any danger of not being the starter(outside of us making a blockbuster trade which isn’t likely atm) but think it would be good for competition sake at least early on in camp. Also getting Hurts some extra reps with the backups probably a good thing since a handful of those guy(maybe more with our injury luck) are likely to spot start throughout the year. 

Also won’t lie would be interested to see how Mullens fares against starters. COULD end up being the better backup option 

18 hours ago, Senhorcook said:

Symantics. Thanks for the correction. Point is that it was a horrible trade. Hurts is a career backup. Wentz is a pro bowler in a league that almost requires a stud QB to compete in the playoffs. If Patrick Mahomes is waiting behind Wentz then who cares. Hurts is no Mahomes!

Derek Anderson was a ProBowl QB.  Don’t get hung up on his probowl selection.  

He’s hurt again.  Foot injury.  Sounds like an injury that would have happened regardless where he was playing.  This may end up being a good trade even if none of the players drafted pan out.

Wentz is really starting to collect the stink of a player that can’t stay healthy.  What do you think the Colts can get for Wentz today?  A third round pick, maybe?

I’ve seen enough of Wentz.  If he can stay healthy, and he can win, it would never have been here.  He needed a change of environment.  I’m willing to see what Hurts can do.

Some thoughts on the first week of practice.

Jalen Hurts is doing better than expected. He has gotten mixed reviews, but he has a few things stacked against him. For one, he hasn't had healthy receivers with the exception of Smith and Goedert. Fulgham and Ward have missed time, and Reagor has yet to do team drills. He also has limited his running, making things easier for the defense. Looking at the situation in its entirety. I think we have to be pleased. He has outplayed the other qbs against better competition (there is a pretty big gap between Nelson/Slay and James/Jacquet) and done so while not going through one read and running, which was the fear coming in.

Flacco and Mullens have been fine, and I think the team was smart to bring in a decent third string qb so those reps aren't wasted. It's better for the development of our young corners and receivers.

Speaking of receivers, they are a concern. Smith has been everything we thought he would be, but after that, question marks abound. No one has stood out as the WR2, mostly because Reagor has been limited. Hurts has targeted Smith and Goedert more than anyone, and it would be nice for Fulgham to step up. Hightower has done some nice things, so it would be nice to see him take a jump forward. But Reagor being out is troubling after his injury woes last year. Watkins needs to get in the mix. It doesn't bode well that I have read more positive things about Michael Walker than anyone else outside of Smith.

The running backs are getting good reviews. I think we are deeper there than most people think.

Mailata has been having a good camp, which is expected. The oline will be a strength this year. Tyree Jackson could be a diamond in the rough, but we will see once he has to block against first teamers. It's early days, but I don't think Brooks makes it though the season. But I am fine with Herbig.

The biggest surprise on defense has been the emergence of Davion Taylor. The coaches look at tape each night, and him continuing to get first-team reps is a huge surprise. If his tape was bad, I am sure he would be demoted by now.

The dline seems solid with Sweat and Barnett having good camps so far. Tarron Jackson got some positive reviews. Not much else on the young guys, though TY McGill seems to be the DT3 on the depth chart right now.

Avery seems like the first choice at SAM in base defense over Edwards, which is a surprise. Wilson hasn't has a great camp, and was running with the second team. It may be early to read anything into it, but it is something to watch. As I noted, the team isn't going to put guys with the first team for extended action if they are playing poorly. So I have to assume at this point that Taylor looks good out there. 

Epps and Wallace seem locked in a decent fight for the third safety spot (assuming McLeod is ready to go.) This is a great sign to me, as they are both under contract for next year, and could be the starting tandem of the future. Scott and Maddox seem like the two options at slot corner, with McPhearson, Jacquet and James as the backups outside.

Overall, a mixed start to camp. I do like the approach of the new coaching staff and not being afraid to mix in new faces with the starters. But time will tell if they have a better sense of who should be out there than the previous regime.

Good to hear from you guys about training camp. I don’t follow it closely. I know Ive seen enough of Barnett to know he is very mediocre. Beyond Cox and Slay….and I forgot to give props to Brandon Graham prior….this defense is going to get lit up. Unless the coaching staff has some magic up their sleeves, I’m REALLY worried about this defense. It is full of young, average talented guys. That is not a recipe for weekly success.

Love all of the TC reviews. Please keep it coming. I don't have much time for it and this is the first place I check for news. Thanks all!

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Some thoughts on the first week of practice.

Jalen Hurts is doing better than expected. He has gotten mixed reviews, but he has a few things stacked against him. For one, he hasn't had healthy receivers with the exception of Smith and Goedert. Fulgham and Ward have missed time, and Reagor has yet to do team drills. He also has limited his running, making things easier for the defense. Looking at the situation in its entirety. I think we have to be pleased. He has outplayed the other qbs against better competition (there is a pretty big gap between Nelson/Slay and James/Jacquet) and done so while not going through one read and running, which was the fear coming in.

Flacco and Mullens have been fine, and I think the team was smart to bring in a decent third string qb so those reps aren't wasted. It's better for the development of our young corners and receivers.

Speaking of receivers, they are a concern. Smith has been everything we thought he would be, but after that, question marks abound. No one has stood out as the WR2, mostly because Reagor has been limited. Hurts has targeted Smith and Goedert more than anyone, and it would be nice for Fulgham to step up. Hightower has done some nice things, so it would be nice to see him take a jump forward. But Reagor being out is troubling after his injury woes last year. Watkins needs to get in the mix. It doesn't bode well that I have read more positive things about Michael Walker than anyone else outside of Smith.

The running backs are getting good reviews. I think we are deeper there than most people think.

Mailata has been having a good camp, which is expected. The oline will be a strength this year. Tyree Jackson could be a diamond in the rough, but we will see once he has to block against first teamers. It's early days, but I don't think Brooks makes it though the season. But I am fine with Herbig.

The biggest surprise on defense has been the emergence of Davion Taylor. The coaches look at tape each night, and him continuing to get first-team reps is a huge surprise. If his tape was bad, I am sure he would be demoted by now.

The dline seems solid with Sweat and Barnett having good camps so far. Tarron Jackson got some positive reviews. Not much else on the young guys, though TY McGill seems to be the DT3 on the depth chart right now.

Avery seems like the first choice at SAM in base defense over Edwards, which is a surprise. Wilson hasn't has a great camp, and was running with the second team. It may be early to read anything into it, but it is something to watch. As I noted, the team isn't going to put guys with the first team for extended action if they are playing poorly. So I have to assume at this point that Taylor looks good out there. 

Epps and Wallace seem locked in a decent fight for the third safety spot (assuming McLeod is ready to go.) This is a great sign to me, as they are both under contract for next year, and could be the starting tandem of the future. Scott and Maddox seem like the two options at slot corner, with McPhearson, Jacquet and James as the backups outside.

Overall, a mixed start to camp. I do like the approach of the new coaching staff and not being afraid to mix in new faces with the starters. But time will tell if they have a better sense of who should be out there than the previous regime.

Great Job on TC analysis. Unproven Jalen Hurts might get a real shot to be a starter this year. He looked good enough early on last season as a rookie. I don't think Doug supported him as a coach and Doug's indecision and Playcalling had a big piece of Hurts failures. How do you bench your 150 million dollar QB. The National media are down on our Birds...😂 What a surprise.

Our D might ACTUALLY put some REAL LB'er's on the field this season... got high hopes for Davion Taylor. Here in Md...and the DMV people are high on the D and how The coaches are moving all the players that are able... in multiple positions unlike Schwartz say Cox is always at LDT now Fletcher is also at RDT or DE. I like it.

What I am most excited to see is a OL. Mialata. Dickerson, Kelce,Brooks,Johnson, I should add a HEALTHY...OL.just destroy folks. If that group ends up being the Best 5.

Hey TD123 where is NC/FL...nice reading some football commentary from the old gang...TD..BG.Chamthe man, Sen,,  still here. It has begun.

16 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wentz out with a foot injury

Really hoping he gets that surgery early, so he can get the Colts to the playoffs...want that 1st rd pick.

11 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Flacco and Mullens have been fine, and I think the team was smart to bring in a decent third string qb so those reps aren't wasted. It's better for the development of our young corners and receivers

This is a whole mixed bag i do agree Hurts has been fine but would say Mullens through 3 days has been the best QB at least from what i seen and read. Can argue competition which is fair but while Mullens is facing worse D competition he also using less talented O players. 

All in all think Siri and Co. have to be happy with the overall QB play doesn’t seem like any of them have been terrible. 

Avery seems like the first choice at SAM in base defense over Edwards, which is a surprise.

Doesn’t really shock me but I figured we wanted a poor mans Barr/rush LB. 

Also seems like we want to be able to multiple looks with our D 43 34 etc. 

Smith has been good but I can’t get excited about WRs until I see them in games. Wasn’t that long ago JJaw was having a great camp. Speaking of JJaw he has made a few plays. Hightower has reportedly be running great routes making plays it’s just shoring up his hands. Reagor missing time likely has more to do with him losing a childhood friend recently sure he will be fine. As for Walker I always thought he could dark horse to make the team so him having a decent start to camp isn’t that shocking. 
The UDFA Wr has been mentioned a bit as well Jhamon I think seems to be a favorite of Flaccos from the things I’ve seen 

LT- battle seems interesting one doesn’t seem like either guy has played poorly do believe Dillard got beat in 1v1s against Barnett only negative thing I’ve heard on either guy. 

RB- this room looking like it will be hard to cut down really early and no pads but sounds like Howard and Kerryon both doing well so far and Huntley was flashing. 

DE- Sweat v Barnett is a interesting seems as if Sweat is ahead so far but if they both can come on would be huge for us both young guys though guess we have to pay both also coming up. 

Quite enjoy the fact that it seems like we are rotating guys between the 1s and 2s etc. giving different guys looks love the competition aspect of camp especially the winners and losers O v D give guys little something extra to compete for 

4 hours ago, Trini said:

Hey TD123 where is NC/FL...nice reading some football commentary from the old gang...TD..BG.Chamthe man, Sen,,  still here. It has begun.

I said he's off of here when the Eagles started their "gay pride" logo LMAO

Good to hear from you brother!

If you want I can ask him permission for you to have his email. I know he would love to hear from you. He's not doing too great mentally or physically. 

Obviously early days but the one thing we have going for us is that the other teams in the division are a mess.

The Giants offense looks terrible, and Barkley has yet to practice. Their oline is a mess and Jones has been terrible. A beat writer counted nine incompletions during a practice, which is almost as many as Hurts has had in three days.

The WFT has a coach who could get really sick if he gets covid, and many of their players are still refusing to get vaccinated, despite him meeting with them and explaining his situation.

Dallas has been hit hard by injuries. None of them thought to be serious, yet, but it is somewhat funny that the beat writers there are talking about how great the starting defense looks while failing to mention that the QB1 isn't Dak.

I think the one thing that Howie is really good at is finding decent depth players. Obviously we are thin at corner right now, but  can't think of another position where we would be in serious trouble if a starter got hurt (DeVonta Smith being an obvious exception.) The other teams in the division don't have the same luxury. There isn't a QB2 who is close to Mullens, and I can count a dozen players on each of the other team's whose injuries would tank their seasons. If you look at last year, the WFT and the Giants were remarkably healthy and could barely limp past us. The Cowboys had some injuries, and look what happened to them.

Knock on wood, but we really aren't missing too many pieces right now. And the guys we are missing all have backups in who are almost as good (Herbig for Seumalo, Taylor for Singleton, Fulgham for Reagor). 

38 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

There isn't a QB2 who is close to Mullens,

I wouldn’t sleep on the backup/competing for starter in DC Hienke… Id say from what I’ve seen and it is limited that he is near Mullens/Flacco(at this stage of his career) 

39 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Obviously we are thin at corner right now, but  can't think of another position where we would be in serious trouble if a starter got hurt (DeVonta Smith being an obvious exception.)

I honestly am at we are way to early to tell still to many unknowns on this team we look promising but until we play actual games I’ll hold off 

7 hours ago, Trini said:

Really hoping he gets that surgery early, so he can get the Colts to the playoffs...want that 1st rd pick.

Not really seeing work out for us that way. Been feeling like it’s long shot at first. Always felt like all we got was a second rounder out of the deal. Pretty sad for a guy that some people seem to think is so incredible. Screw it! I’m fine with him crashing and burning. Is what it is. We are moving on!

22 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Kinda wish we would rotate the QBs with the 1s 2s and 3s like it seems we have with every other position. 

I don’t think Hurts is in any danger of not being the starter(outside of us making a blockbuster trade which isn’t likely atm) but think it would be good for competition sake at least early on in camp. Also getting Hurts some extra reps with the backups probably a good thing since a handful of those guy(maybe more with our injury luck) are likely to spot start throughout the year. 

Also won’t lie would be interested to see how Mullens fares against starters. COULD end up being the better backup option 

Yeah….no! We need to get the chemistry train running withHurts and the starters. They all don’t have to be great….just on the same page. So crucial right now to start this season.

49 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yeah….no! We need to get the chemistry train running withHurts and the starters. They all don’t have to be great….just on the same page. So crucial right now to start this season.

Lmao all I have to say on this comment 

Here's my early guess at the 53 man roster.

QB 3 - Hurts, Flacco, Mullens. All three have gotten good reviews in TC and they may as well keep all three. Mullens has the makings of a decent backup and someone may trade for Flacco if he has a big preseason.

RB 4 - Sanders, Scott, Howard, Gainwell. This is a difficult position to judge, but I give Howard the nod over Johnson and Huntley. He has a really good "yards after contact" stat that makes him a better short yardage option.

WR 6 - Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower, JJAW. The battle for the sixth WR spot is perhaps the toughest in camp. At the same time, the team may have the weakest wr squad in the league. So it's likely Ward can get through to the practice squad. But the same is probably true for Hightower and JJAW as well.

TE 3 - Goedert, Rodgers, Jackson. Jackson has the physical tools to be special, so burning a roster spot on him is fine. Ertz is going to get traded.

OL 9 - Mailata, Dillard, Seumalo, Herbig, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Driscoll, Dickerson. If Dickerson starts on PUP, this spot goes to Juriga. Pryor has been the top backup at guard after Herbig, so my guess is that he and everyone worse than him gets cut.

Dline 10 - Graham, Sweat, Barnett, Kerrigan, Jackson, Cox, Hargrave, McGill, Williams, Tuipulotu. McGill has been getting second team reps, and Williams has gotten good reviews. Not much has been written about the depth DT guys, so Tuipulotu makes it on draft status.

LB 5 - Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Bradley, Taylor. I want to keep Avery, Stevens and Johnson, but I am not sure there is room. Maybe one of them stick if they cut Jackson. A lot depends on camp, obviously. 

DB 10 - Harris, Wallace, Arnold, Epps, Slay, Nelson, Maddox, Scott, McPhearson, James. This is assuming McLeod starts on PUP. Arnold has been getting first team reps on kick coverage, a sign he is ahead of the depth chart of some others.

Some general notes. The team made a dumb mistake signing Flacco. He hasn't outplayed Mullens and he's taking up a roster spot. I hope he plays lights out and gets traded before the season. Rodgers could probably be placed on the PS and called up if needed. He hasn't done much in camp so far and is not a great blocker. I would love to use those two spots on Avery and Johnson/Stevens. I wouldn't mind going light at RB either, as Howard and/or Johnson could probably make it to the PS.

15 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

RB 4 - Sanders, Scott, Howard, Gainwell. This is a difficult position to judge, but I give Howard the nod over Johnson and Huntley. He has a really good "yards after contact" stat that makes him a better short yardage option.

This is a toughie between Howard/Kerryon.. especially when edge might go Howard short yardage but Kerryon would no doubt have the edge as the pass catcher.

Might not seem like a deciding factor but considering these guys likely will be the pass protectors(fairly even I’d say)being a threat to also catch the ball could swing the favor to Kerryon. 

RB room Is going to be a hard one to decide…

20 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

LB 5 - Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Bradley, Taylor. I want to keep Avery, Stevens and Johnson, but I am not sure there is room. Maybe one of them stick if they cut Jackson. A lot depends on camp, obviously.

Your thinking to traditional here is where I can see fault seems like want a rush LB I’d think Avery over Bradley or TJ…. think Kerrigan gives you a possible rush Lb option that you can label a DE so he is that sorta quasi guy. 

29 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Your thinking to traditional here is where I can see fault seems like want a rush LB I’d think Avery over Bradley or TJ…. think Kerrigan gives you a possible rush Lb option that you can label a DE so he is that sorta quasi guy. 

I would put Avery in the same boat as Michael Jacquet. They both have guys in front of them who aren't great, and if they can't outplay them in the preseason, then it makes no sense to keep them. Edwards had a nice INT today and is a pretty solid backup. I haven't heard much about Avery, which is a sign he's not really standing out. Jacquet hasn't done much either, whereas McPhearson has flashed a little bit.

We will see how things change once the pads go on, and it is tough to tell what's really happening from only reports from beat writers, but it's tough to make room for a rush LB like Avery when Kerrigan is already in that role and they can stash someone like Johnson on the PS to develop. 

Archived