Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

With preseason cut down by a game how do we think the snaps go in those games… is game 3 still the dress rehearsal game??? 

That's a very good question. Thinkin' we need to look at roster cut dates vs game days. 

Something telling me I heard Game 3 referred to as dress rehearsal, but not sure lol

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Something telling me I heard Game 3 referred to as dress rehearsal, but not sure lol

Game 3 used to be the dress rehearsal game usually when it was 4 games. Would we make game 2 the dress rehearsal now and have game 3 for the fridge players to make one last case for a spot??? 

2 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Would we make game 2 the dress rehearsal now and have game 3 for the fridge players to make one last case for a spot??? 

That would be the logical thinking. 

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Game 3 used to be the dress rehearsal game usually when it was 4 games. Would we make game 2 the dress rehearsal now and have game 3 for the fridge players to make one last case for a spot??? 

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/what-to-consider-when-betting-on-nfl-preseason-games/

There was no preseason in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and this year’s shortened schedule — reduced from four games to three for all teams except the Cowboys and Steelers — could mean veteran quarterbacks will see less playing time than usual. It also could mean the dress-rehearsal game, when the starters routinely play the most and games get closer to what is seen in the regular season, will move to the second week instead of the third or be eliminated completely by some coaches.

7 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

I mean…. The O as a whole has seemed lack luster compared to the D.. Question though is our D that good or is the O just poor? 

Also another question hasn’t sounded like Hurts has vastly outplayed Flacco or Mullens from everything I read so do you think all our QBs are just playing well or Hurts just isn’t pulling away… 

Just now, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I mean…. The O as a whole has seemed lack luster compared to the D.. Question though is our D that good or is the O just poor? 

Also another question hasn’t sounded like Hurts has vastly outplayed Flacco or Mullens from everything I read so do you think all our QBs are just playing well or Hurts just isn’t pulling away… 

Since i'm as far from Philly as you we can only make judgements by what i read on line.

Just now, Asg 15 said:

Since i'm as far from Philly as you we can only make judgements by what i read on line.

Yup all I can base my claims on but I do try and read number of different people to make my judgements and most tend to be saying the same things 

Four more days till game time. Then some speculation will go away. Get to see how well groomed this team is. D playing well or O playing poorly. 

One thing that kind of annoys me right now is that, with the offense struggling, the coaching staff is constantly moving around the pieces on the oline.

On Saturday, the line was Dillard, Opeta, Kelce, Driscoll and Lane.

On Friday it was Mailata, Herbig, Kelce, Pryor and Lane.

By all reports, Dillard is struggling and Driscoll may not even be able to play guard. So putting them with the first team and then having the whole offense fall apart because the line can't block seems like a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Stop with the moving pieces around. I get that you want to see people compete for a job, but at some point there needs to be some consistency with the offense. Having Hurts deal with a DE in his face all practice because Dillard is playing terrible doesn't seem like it is making anyone better.

31 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

One thing that kind of annoys me right now is that, with the offense struggling, the coaching staff is constantly moving around the pieces on the oline.

On Saturday, the line was Dillard, Opeta, Kelce, Driscoll and Lane.

On Friday it was Mailata, Herbig, Kelce, Pryor and Lane.

By all reports, Dillard is struggling and Driscoll may not even be able to play guard. So putting them with the first team and then having the whole offense fall apart because the line can't block seems like a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Stop with the moving pieces around. I get that you want to see people compete for a job, but at some point there needs to be some consistency with the offense. Having Hurts deal with a DE in his face all practice because Dillard is playing terrible doesn't seem like it is making anyone better.

From most accounts I have heard our OL has been dealing with injuries… Dillard/Mailata they aren’t going to stop the competition this early in even if Mailata is the clear front runner would likely decide after at least the first PS game. And by all accounts I’ve read the DL has been in Hurts face even when Dillard isn’t the starting T….  Ton have mentioned Hurts holding the ball to long as well.

As for the Gs rotating our starters are out Semaulo and Brooks not really shocking to see them trying different faces to see who to play. I know one practice they had Herbig taking C snaps which makes sense since he is likely the backup C for Kelce doing games at least early in the season 

Right now our offense just doesn’t sound consistent we flash glimpses. I’m not going to play the rotating of guys since we are doing the same thing honestly sounds like we are rotating guys more so on defense. 

Hopefully our D is just that good though and the O comes out swinging against other teams 

Also there isn’t a defense in the nfl that knows Jalen Hurts better then ours we have some new faces and a new offense/Defense but most the starters on our defense have seen Hurts for over a year now. NFL teams won’t have that same luxury at least not early on not a ton of film on Hurts and nothing on Siri just assumptions

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/miles-sanders-gives-big-hint-on-eagles-offense

Sanders' quote from this article:

"We have a pretty good defense, the RB said. "So getting those looks and those types of situations every day is good for us. We’re just competing every day. It’s really nothing bad going on with the offense. (I hope!) It’s just we’re competing against a very tough defense, and I believe that. They’re just getting us better every day.”

5 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Well to be fair i wouldn't expect him to say "Holy crap, we suck"

Already figured that in. LOL still hope not. Also hope the D is this good when against other competition. With all of the moving pieces on both sides there is no real way for me to tell. Like you said ASG, find out when reg. season starts.

It was nice to see that both Seumalo and Brooks were upgraded for today's practice. Seumalo is now day to day (instead of week to week) and Brooks is now limited (as opposed to day to day.)

It is likely both will be available for the opener barring any setbacks.

Watkins and Fulgham both had good practices, and I think it is encouraging that they are making plays. We will see how they do in the preseason games, but it is encouraging that they are showing signs of life.

I think we are way ahead of where we were last year. I remember that there were so many questions about the offensive line, the receivers and the back seven of the defense at this time last year. The QB play was also bad during the preseason, but I think everyone just thought that Wentz would be fine once the season started, which turned out to be a bad assumption.

I clearly remember a lot of writers last year at this time talking about what a disaster it would be if we had to actually play Mailata, and it turned out that he was literally the least of the team's problems once the games started. My gut tells me it's the same with Hurts this year. He has gotten some bad reviews, but I think he will look much better once the games start, since his problems (holding on to the ball too long, making poor throws) stem from working on specific issues.

I think Hurts' biggest problem last year was lack of pocket awareness, namely that he ran at times when he had more time to throw, leaving big plays on the table. In training camp, he is clearly resisting the urge to run, which is leading to issues (poor throws, holding the ball too long.) But once the season starts, hopefully he will find that proper balance.

Pocket awareness is key. I’d say our Oline was unreliable last year. There was no trust or comfort behind them. So I can’t blame Hurts for not trusting the blocking and taking off at times when the blocking actually held up. 

John Hightower, Davion Taylor and Jacoby Stevens are all listed as week to week injuries. Not good for these bubble roster level players. They all could be stashed on IR to help stack the team with youth going forward. Might be the best solution. IR they can’t practice though, which really hurts their development. I’m more about rejuvenation of this roster going forward than 2021 win loss results. So anyway we can keep as many promising young players here as possible…I’m for.

With guys like Wallace and even Epps stepping up think we look to move McLeod some point during the year. He going to have to get healthy first and show he can play but could be a trade deadline guy

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

John Hightower, Davion Taylor and Jacoby Stevens are all listed as week to week injuries. Not good for these bubble roster level players. They all could be stashed on IR to help stack the team with youth going forward. Might be the best solution. IR they can’t practice though, which really hurts their development. I’m more about rejuvenation of this roster going forward than 2021 win loss results. So anyway we can keep as many promising young players here as possible…I’m for.

Think you jumping the gun think Taylor even hurt right now has made a case early on to make the team LB really isn’t that deep.

Hightower is interesting think we would love to stash him on PS seems like he is developing still not quite there yet though thinking he makes the team as the 6th WR.

Stevens I could 100% see getting hit with the mystery injury IR lol… Question will be do we think he can pass through waivers and stash on PS for a year. 

9 hours ago, jsb235 said:

but I think he will look much better once the games start, since his problems (holding on to the ball too long, making poor throws) stem from working on specific issues.

Mmmmmm I do think Hurts will look better since his ability to run will be on display don’t really get that aspect of his game in practice. 

Holding the ball to long is kinda a double edge sword just hope Hurts finds that balance with it he does seem to know when to just give up on a play from his 4 games last year which is good.

The poor passing is going to be there this year I think he improves from his rookie year but he still has strides he has to make as a passer. But again I do think his legs will offset some of his struggles as a passer. 

Either way excited for preseason game 1 get are first glimpse at this team 

Michael Thomas is unhappy having some dispute it sounds like with NO

This article by Dave Zangaro touched on some of the same points I made about Hurts.

Eagles training camp 2021: Jalen Hurts’ legs make it impossible to judge him on practice | RSN (nbcsports.com)

This paragraph is particularly interesting.

"I think back to 2019, when the Eagles hosted the Ravens for joint practices. Lamar Jackson was entering his second NFL season and I was really looking forward to watching him perform. During those open practices, I remember thinking that Jackson didn’t impress me at all. Then he went on to be the NFL MVP that season, throwing for over 3,100 yards and rushing for another 1,200."

Jackson and Hurts have some things in common from their rookie seasons. They both had completion percentages under 60 percent and QBRs in the low 40s. They both didn't have great TD numbers from a passing standpoint. But the two big advantages that Jackson had in his rookie season were in the offensive line and the defense. In the games he started, he played with essentially the same line, with four of the five spots not changing at all. And the defense was ranked second in the league.

Hurts had a rotating offensive line in front of him, and the team's defense was ranked 20th. But perhaps most importantly, Jackson never threw for more than 204 yards in any of his seven starts, whereas Hurts threw for more than 300 yards in two of his four starts.

Adam Caplan said this morning on his podcast that the team isn't real high or real low on Hurts, and I think this sums up pretty well who he is. He's not a top 5 passer in the league. He's not Tom Brady sitting in the pocket and picking apart opposing defenses. But he's not Nick Mullens, either. I think what we can hope for is that he is a better version of Jackson, a player who can hit the deep passes while at the same time making plays with his legs. That, to me, is a pretty lethal combination.  

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Adam Caplan said this morning on his podcast that the team is' real high or real low on Hurts, and I think this sums up pretty well who he is.

Lmao what the team is either real high or real low on him what type of reporting is this that cover everything lol. 

But no seriously and it might not be fair but can’t like your odds to win with a guy who can’t win with his arm. Running QBs are exciting flashy put up stats but don’t seem to win when it matters. Now I won’t say that is Hurts but it’s also why I’m hard on the fact he has to develop as a passer. Plenty of examples of QB that can run but win with there arm biggest one has to be Russell Wilson right now. 

Archived