Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

24 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Lmao what the team is either real high or real low on him what type of reporting is this that cover everything lol. 

I made a typo. The quote should have been the team isn't real high or low on Hurts. So they think his performance has been pretty average. So reports that he has been great or awful are not in line with what the team has seen.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I made a typo. The quote should have been the team isn't real high or low on Hurts. So they think his performance has been pretty average. So reports that he has been great or awful are not in line with what the team has seen.

Ah that makes more sense lol…. Him being avg. seems to fit with everything I’ve read then. 

Not sure what to make of the Jags reportedly looking to move CJ Henderson…. Have to wonder the asking price. 

Would hope Philly at least looks into it CB group of Slay/Nelson/Maddox/Zech/ Henderson/ Scott could set us up this year and the future. 

Wondering how many snaps are starters get Thursday…. Usually first game they only see a series maybe two… But with so many young starters and a new offense could they get more reps??? 

40 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m expecting the healthy starters to see a fair amount of action.

I think we will see the healthy young starters… Can’t image we see Lane and Kelce out there long same I’d think goes for guys like BG,Cox, Slay. Think they will get a series but I’d image they come off for younger guys that probably need the reps more. 

My guess OL for most of the 1st half will be Mailata/Opeta/Herbig/Pryor/Driscoll…. Think Lane and Kelce will start but come out after like a series. 

Think Hurts and the young WRs will get extra looks… Not quite sure what we do with Miles and Geodart could see them staying out there but could also easily see us turning to younger guys as well. 

Genard Avery – a defensive end in 2020 – is now a linebacker; Hakeem Butler – a tight end in 2020 – is now a wide receiver; Jack Driscoll – solely a tackle in 2020 – is now a guard/tackle; Adrian Killins – a running back in 2020 – is now a wide receiver.

Nothing shocking here but made official… Killins has been with the WRs since the beginning of camp Butler is tad interesting but not sure he can make the team just to many young promising guys ahead of him. 

Butler I think is among the first cuts. That is if they do cuts like normal and not like last season.

Word is Corey Clement is in line to start week one for the giants. Not real happy about that.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Word is Corey Clement is in line to start week one for the giants. Not real happy about that.

Barkley is said to be back around week 3 

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I think we will see the healthy young starters… Can’t image we see Lane and Kelce out there long same I’d think goes for guys like BG,Cox, Slay. Think they will get a series but I’d image they come off for younger guys that probably need the reps more. 

Ertz could get good playing time to show his value.

So i've been reading that Hurts looks bad and the D looks good

Does the D look good because Hurts is bad or does Hurts look bad because the D is good?

29 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

So i've been reading that Hurts looks bad and the D looks good

Does the D look good because Hurts is bad or does Hurts look bad because the D is good?

Sounds like the Oline has issues. Pryor starting isn’t good. Receiver situation not ideal either. Hurts style isn’t being utilized as much in practice either. But I’m not here to apologize for Hurts. He needs to improve his timing passing game. Helps if guys get open also though.

This is a good article about the Eagles' defense.

Eagles training camp 2021: What we may have gotten wrong about the defense | RSN (nbcsports.com)

This was an interesting point.

"The Eagles dropped from 4th to 12th to 15th to 20th in defense the last four years."

Injuries played an obvious role, but I also think the scheme was just too easy to figure out. Schwartz was hired in 2016, and had a great 2017, but got worse each year. and it just seemed like our scheme was never that much different from year to year, much less from game to game. So of you know what to expect coming into the game, it becomes easy to game plan for it.

I think this team has more talent on defense this year than in 2017, and could easily see us being a top 5 defense.

Signed S Blake Countess and waived/injured S Obi Melifonwu.

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Injuries played an obvious role, but I also think the scheme was just too easy to figure out. Schwartz was hired in 2016, and had a great 2017, but got worse each year. and it just seemed like our scheme was never that much different from year to year, much less from game to game. So of you know what to expect coming into the game, it becomes easy to game plan for it.

I think this team has more talent on defense this year than in 2017, and could easily see us being a top 5 defense.

Great point.  Remember in the 2010 playoff game at Dallas when the Dallas d knew what play the Eagles were going to run before they did?  The scheme needs to be updated on a regular basis to keep the other side guessing.  Part of the reason that Foles was on fire during the SB run is that there just wasn't enough tape on what the Eagles were going to run.  No spygate in 2017.

9 hours ago, Procus said:

The scheme needs to be updated on a regular basis to keep the other side guessing

Don’t want to jump the gun but sounds like Siri and Gannon are both willing to adapt there scheme toward there players. There is an article about Siri putting in RPOs into the offense when it isn’t really his background for Hurts and leaning on couple of the coaches on staff to help him. So doesn’t sound like Siri is stuck on this is my system this is what we are running that’s it. 

13 hours ago, jsb235 said:

This is a good article about the Eagles' defense.

Eagles training camp 2021: What we may have gotten wrong about the defense | RSN (nbcsports.com)

This was an interesting point.

"The Eagles dropped from 4th to 12th to 15th to 20th in defense the last four years."

Well we lost every DB to injury. Then got rid of our D leader in Jenkins. Cox hasn’t been at his best either. Add in the O giving the ball away and not controlling the time of possession at all either.

11 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Signed S Blake Countess and waived/injured S Obi Melifonwu.

Traded out the injured for the blind.

Looks like the Eagles have an unofficial depth chart out nothing to shocking on it.

Mailata/Dillard listed as co-starters same with Ertz/Geodart and Sweat/Barnett 

Ward is the starting slot 

Avery listed as the starting SAM maybe the biggest surprised for some with Ostman the backup. 

9 hours ago, Procus said:

Great point.  Remember in the 2010 playoff game at Dallas when the Dallas d knew what play the Eagles were going to run before they did?  The scheme needs to be updated on a regular basis to keep the other side guessing.  Part of the reason that Foles was on fire during the SB run is that there just wasn't enough tape on what the Eagles were going to run.  No spygate in 2017.

We knew the Pats cheat and do those things is why we wouldn’t give them the oppportunity this time around.

Ertz has already been officially told he’s the backup now. Calling him a starter still for trade purposes maybe though.

16 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Don’t want to jump the gun but sounds like Siri and Gannon are both willing to adapt there scheme toward there players. There is an article about Siri putting in RPOs into the offense when it isn’t really his background for Hurts and leaning on couple of the coaches on staff to help him. So doesn’t sound like Siri is stuck on this is my system this is what we are running that’s it. 

Schwartz adapted his scheme to his players. Didn’t really have much though. All the money and high draft picks were for the offense. He got an injured Sidney Jones. But we clearly saw him switch to a more Man based scheme when we got a corner that can actually cover(Slay).

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Schwartz adapted his scheme to his players. Didn’t really have much though. All the money and high draft picks were for the offense. He got an injured Sidney Jones. But we clearly saw him switch to a more Man based scheme when we got a corner that can actually cover(Slay).

Schwartz ran a basic D that put a ton of pressure on the DBs… wouldn’t  really say he adapted to his players. Plus Schwartz picked most his guys he wanted Mills he was also high on Gerry… Can’t forget him picking Brown over Collins in FA at LB. Got his guy Slay.

Also money and draft picks went to the offense????
Barnett/Jones/Douglas

Sweat/Maddox Taylor/Wallace

Lets not forget Bradham, McLeod, Hargrave, Malik.

Eagles used a lot on the defense getting Schwartz the guys he wanted. 

We can fault a lot of things like poor drafted or poor FA decisions but it definitely was from a lack of trying to get those guys or willingness to spend on it. 

Archived