Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Or maybe Dawkins leaving and the players not being as good was a major factor?

Lmao joe yes joe it’s only the players that matter coaches have no reason let’s not have coaches just be the players… Players are only one piece…

But no seriously the roster wasn’t that drastically different from Jim Johnson to McDermott D it was a season… 

Dawkins left and he still had an All Pro S in Quiten Mikell 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But in all seriousness Eagles 08 D and 09 D the only difference in players really was Dawkins we went from a top 5 D(we were ranked 4th) in 2008 to 19th ranked D in 2009….

Dawkins alone was the reason we dropped 15 spots… Don’t buy it 

15 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

guess Siri will wait until week 13 also

The question really needs to be do the coaches have to power to even pull the player… We all know Howie and Lurie love to control things big reason better coaches don’t want to be here 

32 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Man, all the anger already.   It's only 7 games....I thought the entire fan base was in love with Hurts after we got rid of the evil guy in Indy.    Playing hero ball in the rain the other night.. 

I was thinking this would take time, oh have the tables turned.    Maybe Hurts was better last year because you needed a track star at QB to run away from the rush every other play?      Now that you need real football he isn't that good.... and the previous guy is actually playing real football again and looks good.   SHOCKING!!!!! 

Not the entire fan base.

I have some theories of why Wentz was hated but in the interest of harmony i'll keep them to myself.

26 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

But in all seriousness Eagles 08 D and 09 D the only difference in players really was Dawkins we went from a top 5 D(we were ranked 4th) in 2008 to 19th ranked D in 2009….

Dawkins alone was the reason we dropped 15 spots… Don’t buy it 

Agree not Dawkins alone.... never said Dawkins alone...but players matter.   First and foremost players. 

Example... Dak, Brady Murray.... 3 guys that can't have bad results.  They just can't,  the players around them are to good.   The question remains more about how much success they will have.    Right now, we could all over analyze the coaching... and yeah it could be better.... but the roster is the reason the discussion is " how bad"  are they.   There is no chance with this roster the results would be good.    They are the scapegoats now for the front office mistakes.    Could they be better...sure, but for who for what. 

Let's take Doug and Foles as examples.    Nobody cares about their performances other than when they had a legit chance  to win.  It mattered then and both delivered.   Doug sucked last year.... he was brutal.  Doesn't bother me, Vince Lombardi wouldn't have won 7 games with that garbage.   Vince is considered a great coach due to how his talented teams performed,not for how he did with bad talent.  

Siri won't last more than 2 years max.   He doesn't have a shot with this crap.  The ultimate question is, do other major changes occur,  or just the latest scapegoat of a coach?

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Agree not Dawkins alone.... never said Dawkins alone...but players matter.   First and foremost players. 

Soooo who else left joe in 08 to 09 that made McDermott sooo much worse then Johnson the roster was the same minus Dawkins…. mmmm could it be that idk Johnson wasn’t the DC coaches matter to joe. 

44 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

The question really needs to be do the coaches have to power to even pull the player… We all know Howie and Lurie love to control things big reason better coaches don’t want to be here 

Yeah true we dont know. Sometimes they give people the reins,then pull them back so IDK WTH the set up is

Dak Prescott was the 135th pick in that draft. Compare him to where we took Hurts and see which was the better value

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yeah we need a new starting coach then

Maybe Siri is Lurie and Howie's puppet?

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Soooo who else left joe in 08 to 09 that made McDermott sooo much worse then Johnson the roster was the same minus Dawkins…. mmmm could it be that idk Johnson wasn’t the DC coaches matter to joe. 

Are you asking me to research... I can do it after work, but if you already know the answer please let me know.   That 2009 season I know saw the loss of Dawkins,  Runyon,Tre Thomas... it was a transition year for sure in the locker room... but I need to check on the other defensive players who either left or were injured... both are factors,  so it's not just on the roster.  I remember that team having player issues..  it wasn't a good situation for McDermott... unless he magically learned.    I agree coaches can get a little better... not to the degree we see with McDermott unless there is a big discrepancy in the players. 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Dak Prescott was the 135th pick in that draft. Compare him to where we took Hurts and see which was the better value

The draft is irrelevant now...  only matters what they do once they get in the league

Just now, joemas6 said:

Are you asking me to research... I can do it after work, but if you already know the answer please let me know.   That 2009 season I know saw the loss of Dawkins,  Runyon,Tre Thomas... it was a transition year for sure in the locker room... but I need to check on the other defensive players who either left or were injured... both are factors,  so it's not just on the roster.  I remember that team having player issues..  it wasn't a good situation for McDermott... unless he magically learned.    I agree coaches can get a little better... not to the degree we see with McDermott unless there is a big discrepancy in the players. 

Lmao… We were an 11-5 team with the 19th ranked defense the players missing was Dawkins on defense Stewart Bradley though hardly a stud… the majority of the roster was the same…

Yet the unit goes from 4th ranked unit in 08 to the 19th ranked unit in 09

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

was a transition year for sure in the locker room..

But your right it was a transition year for the locker room and the defense they lost there DC JJ mmmmm idk missing piece unit drops 15 spots lmao 

But your right it was a transition year for the locker room and the defense they lost there DC JJ mmmmm idk missing piece unit drops 15 spots lmao 

And the hall of famer. And solid MLB  But no big deal either.   

Btw, I'm not big on " rankings "   6 yards per game ...could be 8 spots in the rankings....garbage yards count too.

Ham was drooling over this great Carolina Panthers D a few weeks ago...  they don't look like anything special now.

But you take great...and go to ok... that's a huge drop-off.  I think JJ was a great DC... Dawkins was a great player ( the versality was underrated ) you give an average DC the same D without him... not surprising you see a drop-off.

As it relates to our current coaches... the degree of awful we see this year,  doesn't really matter... they will leave and do better elsewhere.   You will experience your first real bad period of being an Eagles fan. It's just getting started. 

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

But you take great...and go to ok... that's a huge drop-off.  I think JJ was a great DC... Dawkins was a great player ( the versality was underrated ) you give an average DC the same D without him... not surprising you see a drop-off.

Yes Dawkins was a great player but one great player doesn’t make a defense and the unit was mostly the same so no joe I completely disagree with your take on coaches think your full of it yes players matter but so do coaches seem plenty of great coaches make meh teams look good 

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

The draft is irrelevant now...  only matters what they do once they get in the league

Sure,but the assumption is the lower the round a guy goes, the more talent he has,and we can see that is not true,because as we know transitioning is a big IF. And you are always talking "players matter". Yes they do. But talent isn't enough if you don't have the right people for them. This is why alot of times we see player leave here and do well elsewhere. We have also seen hot players from other teams come here and wallow in quicksand. We took Wentz that year. And if you look at the all the QB's taken before Dak in that draft,all are fairing well in the NFL. Dak used to play in a similar offense Hurts did,but he transitioned and left "college kid" behind and from what I am seeing we have altered our scheme from PRO to COLLEGE to suit "college kid". Hurts is not transitioning,the scheme did and we can see that is a recipe for failure. We tried it with Chip and we are back at the same BS again. So the question is if Dak was there in round 2 with Hurts,which would you have taken??? The choice is easy for me. Then again if Dullaz had been preaching  college offense IDK how Dak would have turned out. Why does no other team run an RPO offense???? Maybe because it doesn't work??? We saw it with Chip and we learned nothing(or Lurie hasn't), because we are right back at trying to force this BS college offense on the PRO league. Pro's gonna win every time. I love OSU, but I would bet against them vs any coherent pro team. What's sad to me is I would have difficult time betting on an Eagles/ Buckeyes game(or Eagles/ Alabama)

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

The choice is easy for me

With or w/o hindsight? I don't have an opinion. Just want to know. Yes, I'm writing a book. Wanna make it a love story? lol

Yes Dawkins was a great player but one great player doesn’t make a defense and the unit was mostly the same so no joe I completely disagree with your take on coaches think your full of it yes players matter but so do coaches seem plenty of great coaches make meh teams look good 

Yeah... great coaches can make a so so team look good.    JJ was a great coach,  who had good players... Never said McDermott was a great coach.  He did lose the best player by far on that D...and the MLB...the 2 spots that call the defense though.     So the great coach with the good D... went from so so coach to so so D.   19th ranked out of 32 is pretty much the middle isn't it?   

But no need to watch the draft or worry about free agency since it's all about the coaching.     We know the coach in Tampa is much better than the one in New England.    

Again,  as it stands with our team... the players are not good,  starting with the most important position.   Until that changes, doesn’t matter if it's Doug , Siri or whoever.   The only question remains,  are we in a period similar to Marion Campbell,  or is it pre Vermeil length.   

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Sure,but the assumption is the lower the round a guy goes, the more talent he has,and we can see that is not true,because as we know transitioning is a big IF. And you are always talking "players matter". Yes they do. But talent isn't enough if you don't have the right people for them. This is why alot of times we see player leave here and do well elsewhere. We have also seen hot players from other teams come here and wallow in quicksand. We took Wentz that year. And if you look at the all the QB's taken before Dak in that draft,all are fairing well in the NFL. Dak used to play in a similar offense Hurts did,but he transitioned and left "college kid" behind and from what I am seeing we have altered our scheme from PRO to COLLEGE to suit "college kid". Hurts is not transitioning,the scheme did and we can see that is a recipe for failure. We tried it with Chip and we are back at the same BS again. So the question is if Dak was there in round 2 with Hurts,which would you have taken??? The choice is easy for me. Then again if Dullaz had been preaching  college offense IDK how Dak would have turned out. Why does no other team run an RPO offense???? Maybe because it doesn't work??? We saw it with Chip and we learned nothing(or Lurie hasn't), because we are right back at trying to force this BS college offense on the PRO league. Pro's gonna win every time. I love OSU, but I would bet against them vs any coherent pro team. What's sad to me is I would have difficult time betting on an Eagles/ Buckeyes game(or Eagles/ Alabama)

Dak has had good WRs his entire career besides the games prior to getting Cooper.   He has had a running game and for thr most part a good line if not great OL.     That matters.   You were around for Archie Manning.  

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

But no need to watch the draft or worry about free agency since it's all about the coaching.     We know the coach in Tampa is much better than the one in New England.    

Lmao just you love extremes…. That coach in NE tends to get the most out of nobodies and has for years they weren’t world beating talents hence why when they left NE they faltered…

Arians also did a hell of a job with an AZ team and a quarterback that many said was washed in Palmer and if I recall AZ completely fell off after he left…

But yea coaches don’t matter joe lmao again might as well just forgo coaches and tell Howie and the players to do it 

2 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

With or w/o hindsight? I don't have an opinion. Just want to know. Yes, I'm writing a book. Wanna make it a love story? lol

You're not my type

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Dak has had good WRs his entire career besides the games prior to getting Cooper.   He has had a running game and for thr most part a good line if not great OL.     That matters.   You were around for Archie Manning.  

IDK why is Dullaz always ready to play, bad team or good and we aren't? This team plays great for 5 minutes,then again with 5 minutes left. There are 50 minutes missing. I was pretty appalled last year when we came out flat so many times. I thought a coaching change would at least fire this team up. If you put Dak in this offense he would do well. It's one thing or the other here. Either we have the supporting cast with no QB or a QB with no supporting cast and Howie can't get the 2 put together. Very sad

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/dak-prescott-career-win-loss-record-each-year  Our WR's are as good as anyones right now,the problem is............Dak has never had a losing season other than when he went 2-3 last year(so we don't know if he would have turned it around) IDC whether you want to count this as Hurt's "Rookie season" ,or as year 2. Either way, despite Dullaz "having a suck team" they have still never had a losing season with Dak 5 years in, and he was drafted 135th. If Hurts was, I would have excuses for him. Hurts as "our QB" problem is NOT going away until he is replaced. It's sad the other players on the team are wasting their time and talent on this BS squad

Archived