Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

OK, so if Gannon gets hired, who gets our DC job? Hoping for someone who has experience. We need him to be flexible with whom we have available. Can we switch to a 3-4 now? Looks like Graham is on his way out as is Cox in a year or two. Maybe draft players that can play either, making a transformation easier.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well he was MVP two seasons in a row with him.

And still doesn’t doesn’t mean anything lol Brady and Belicheat won multiple SBs together and weren’t the best of buds lol 

Didn’t say the OC and Rodgers didn’t work well together said I don’t think they were close enough to influence his decision 

That’s a low number for Eleven personnel when you think about it

Yet only like 5-6 teams ran it at a higher fling then us 

wasn’t thinking Patullo was very good anyway.

Of course you don’t you love to blame coaches and everyone else not then Hurts and the players. Can’t tell you how many players I seen wide open on numerous occasions that Hurts just flat out missed 

1 hour ago, stine said:

OK, so if Gannon gets hired, who gets our DC job? Hoping for someone who has experience. We need him to be flexible with whom we have available. Can we switch to a 3-4 now? Looks like Graham is on his way out as is Cox in a year or two. Maybe draft players that can play either, making a transformation easier.

This is the big question Gannon gets hired who does Gannon take with him should be first. Next who does Siri know to replace them. 

As for the scheme we need a D overhaul regardless. 

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

And still doesn’t doesn’t mean anything lol Brady and Belicheat won multiple SBs together and weren’t the best of buds lol 

Didn’t say the OC and Rodgers didn’t work well together said I don’t think they were close enough to influence his decision 

Elway would be the factor that influences Rodgers to Denver.  Many have that as a spot he ends up.   

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Elway would be the factor that influences Rodgers to Denver.  Many have that as a spot he ends up.   

Isn’t Elway out of the FO in Denver??? Could be wrong but yes I’d definitely think Elway would influence Rodgers more then the coaching hire 

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

This is the big question Gannon gets hired who does Gannon take with him should be first. Next who does Siri know to replace them. 

As for the scheme we need a D overhaul regardless. 

De we really have that many assistants we need worry about? I doubt Gannon takes our O-Line coach, so not really worried about the others... We already lost our OC so I would think Siri would upgrade from within if he felt another deserved it. I find it hard to believe we have more than one person that should be promoted to OC, so Gannon gets no one from there.... Maybe he gets one assistant from our defense....

11 minutes ago, stine said:

De we really have that many assistants we need worry about? I doubt Gannon takes our O-Line coach, so not really worried about the others... We already lost our OC so I would think Siri would upgrade from within if he felt another deserved it. I find it hard to believe we have more than one person that should be promoted to OC, so Gannon gets no one from there.... Maybe he gets one assistant from our defense....

Consistency is generally a good thing for players. Our CB coach is pretty good and well regarded. Our young LB coach actually did alright considering what he had to work with Edwards had probably his best season and Taylor was flashing when he was healthy. 

RB coach did a good job on offense. QB coach Johnson could be a candidate to be poached as OC former OC himself in the college ranks wasn’t overly impressed with Hurts but think they maxed him out on the year he just isn’t much of a passer. 

But less worried about the guys leaving and more on who Siri knows to replace them if they get taken 

16 minutes ago, stine said:

We already lost our OC

Our OC is still here the Stiechen or whatever… Patullo was the pass game coordinator that came over with Siri from Indy. 

15 hours ago, joemas6 said:

It didn't really on the field though...before all the planet Ham stuff.  Didn't we post stats where ever though they used 2 TEs a lot,  the results weren't good. Much better when they only used one TE.  I saw that multiple times. 

When were these posted. When we used two TEs is wasn’t always Ertz and Goedert. So you’d have to get more specific.

15 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Correct,over his career he hasn't been good in 2 TE sets vs playing with 3 WRs. He is a pass catching threat, not much offering in the run game where the 2 TE set has the advantage.

Having a pass catching TE in a two TE set us an advantage I would think. So I just can’t agree with your logic here.

26 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Having a pass catching TE in a two TE set us an advantage I would think. So I just can’t agree with your logic here.

It isn’t hard to see his logic if your aim was to run out of the 2 TE sets Ertz wasn’t much help. And he was better threat as a pass catcher when he had 3 WRs on the field stretching the field opening more up for him. 

The real thing is as nice as two and 3 TE sets are they are not primarily used by teams Ertz and Geodart never shared the field more then 50% of the time so majority of the time only 1 was on the field so one of our best players was on the bench half the time. 

44 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

It isn’t hard to see his logic if your aim was to run out of the 2 TE sets Ertz wasn’t much help. And he was better threat as a pass catcher when he had 3 WRs on the field stretching the field opening more up for him. 

The real thing is as nice as two and 3 TE sets are they are not primarily used by teams Ertz and Geodart never shared the field more then 50% of the time so majority of the time only 1 was on the field so one of our best players was on the bench half the time. 

I see his logic. Just don’t agree. Remember back to (who was it) Chip, I think, loved running out of 3WR sets even. So if they are keeping nickel out there for Ertz as part of the two TE then that could help vs the run. He’s saying that they keep and extra DB out against Ertz. So to me that balancing out the benefit of the power run.

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Correct,over his career he hasn't been good in 2 TE sets vs playing with 3 WRs. He is a pass catching threat, not much offering in the run game where the 2 TE set has the advantage.

You said they’d keep a DB out instead of LB just for him. So wouldn’t that even out and still help the power rushing?

6 hours ago, stine said:

Good questions. I think you always like to draft versatile guys, especially high. I could easily see Milton, Gravedigger and Fletch as the three Dline. Tuilpoutu was drafted as a Nose/Gialine guy once he beefs up to those NFL standards. If he’s any good. Sweat could be a rush backer I’d think. Hard for me to think they won’t add a pass rusher also this season. So maybe you target a 3-4 rusher more. Seems like we are planning to add to the D fairly significantly this offseason with the draft and FA anyway. If Gannon is leaving….I’d rather it be this offseason then in another year or two.

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

It didn't really on the field though...before all the planet Ham stuff.  Didn't we post stats where ever though they used 2 TEs a lot,  the results weren't good. Much better when they only used one TE.  I saw that multiple times. 

If you don’t see how obvious Goedert was running Ertz out of town than you are in fantasy Planet No Mas. It wasn’t even really hidden. Couple of BS quotes from both to keep looking like good guys. That was about it.

5 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I would think there is a comfort knowing you could be successful with the guy. So many other factors. I could see a connection there though.

5 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Yet only like 5-6 teams ran it at a higher fling then us 

Of course you don’t you love to blame coaches and everyone else not then Hurts and the players. Can’t tell you how many players I seen wide open on numerous occasions that Hurts just flat out missed 

Ok…,you thought our passing game plans and calls were the stuff of genius. I thought it was a work in progress and less than average NFL quality.

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Consistency is generally a good thing for players. Our CB coach is pretty good and well regarded. Our young LB coach actually did alright considering what he had to work with Edwards had probably his best season and Taylor was flashing when he was healthy. 

RB coach did a good job on offense. QB coach Johnson could be a candidate to be poached as OC former OC himself in the college ranks wasn’t overly impressed with Hurts but think they maxed him out on the year he just isn’t much of a passer. 

But less worried about the guys leaving and more on who Siri knows to replace them if they get taken 

Stout is the stud. Oline and run game were fantastic. Even with third string or less against Cowboy starters. We get better O minds in here and the O will launch. D was so vanilla to start the season it was pathetic. I’m the only one that at least let’s it slide a bit that it takes time.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

When were these posted. When we used two TEs is wasn’t always Ertz and Goedert. So you’d have to get more specific.

Like 2019-2020.    The injuries forced us to use a lot of 2 TE... there was a post where we used it the most, buy had like the 31st ranked yards per play average or something. 

For as good as the 2 are individually,  the results were not good.  

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Why wouldn't the pass catching threat work better with 3 WRs...  now you have 4 threats on the field. You need to put the slower cover guy on the TE as compared to a quicker slot WR.

In two TEs the idea is to have more beef on the line to run the ball,  then take advantage of slower cover guys.   With Ertz, they didn't have to counter with a LB to replace the nickel, because he didn't cause a mismatch in the running game.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You said they’d keep a DB out instead of LB just for him. So wouldn’t that even out and still help the power rushing?

You watched the " power rushing"  you think it's coincidence it was good in 2017 when Celek and Burton would play together...then not so great again until Ertz left snd Goedert had a legit blocker to play with?    

It's not rocket science...a finesse player, route runner and pass catcher type TE creates the mismatch with 3 WRs...now you got basically 4 WRs to cover.    Gotta make a decision about matchups.  Using 2 TEs, the idea is to get the initial mismatch in the power running...you need 2 legit blockers. Then you flip it to try to take advantage of bigger / slower/ less talented cover guys.   Defenses never had to flip it from nickel to 3 LBS with Ertz.

Archived