Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

IS Ben Roethlisberger recent enough? 101 TD's 69 INT's  Higher Percentage of INT than Jimmy G

First 5 seasons

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stine said:

IS Ben Roethlisberger recent enough? 101 TD's 69 INT's  Higher Percentage of INT than Jimmy G

First 5 seasons

You keep proving my point about the stats with each comparison.    But I'm curious who on here tried to use stats as a negative for Jimmy G.   Watching him play should be enough...right?

1 hour ago, stine said:

Everyone is telling me Jimmy G's stats stunk. 

Who?  I haven't seen this ... only you seem to be looking at his stats.    Why isn't the eye test enough for you? 

1 hour ago, stine said:

First 5 seasons

Your simple argument ( if stats is the thing) is Jimmy G was 12th in passing yards this year. 

My position on him.  Upgrade over current guy.  But I'm not giving up anything for him.  If nothing is there in 2023 draft, I could sign him as a free agent if he was relatively cheap, just to improve enough to where the rest of the roster would function better.  But I'm not trading anything for him now.   Keep all the assets and cap space for the future.   Allow the current guy to succeed or fail, to where everyone is on same page about him.    Patience is key.

31 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Your simple argument ( if stats is the thing) is Jimmy G was 12th in passing yards this year. 

My position on him.  Upgrade over current guy.  But I'm not giving up anything for him.  If nothing is there in 2023 draft, I could sign him as a free agent if he was relatively cheap, just to improve enough to where the rest of the roster would function better.  But I'm not trading anything for him now.   Keep all the assets and cap space for the future.   Allow the current guy to succeed or fail, to where everyone is on same page about him.    Patience is key.

THAT was my point. LOL thank you for your words. Garrapolo isn't bad. Just that I'm not giving anything for him right now. In other words, not that much of an upgrade. 

15 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

THAT was my point. LOL thank you for your words. Garrapolo isn't bad. Just that I'm not giving anything for him right now. In other words, not that much of an upgrade. 

The team isn't in position yet where getting him would matter. SF is better across the board,and really if you watch them, they win in spite of him.

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Older Downgrade

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

The team isn't in position yet where getting him would matter. SF is better across the board,and really if you watch them, they win in spite of him.

Exactly. They have fantastic weapons at TE and WR. Jimmy G puts up stats at times. But he seems to always do the most boneheaded things at the worst times.

I mean the Niners had to start handing off to Deebo to get him the ball because Garrapolo couldn’t.

12 hours ago, stine said:

You look at his stats and say he is a terrible QB. Yet if you look at Terry Bradshaws Stats for his first 5 years, Jimmy G outplayed him by a large margin. Yet Terry Bradshaw is in the HOF. Why? Because he just won. Bradshaws First 5 seasons - 48 Td's 81 INT's... LMAO he sucked! Oh Wait, he won 4 SB's! 

The era of football way easier to pass in today game then it was what 40-50 years ago. 

13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

OK, How about we look at another QB that was famous for his dumb passes. My wife is a huge GB fan and has watched every game for 30+ years. She hated Brett Farve because he always threw that pass that shouldn't have been thrown. Heck I remember one at the top of my head when he did it in a play-off game. Threw it across his body to the other side of the field. A big no no.... Lost the game. But hey, he stinks. Just use the eye test!  Oh Wait, he is in the HOF!

Rumor is the Jimmy G may end up going to Pittsburgh. I guess Tomlin doesn't know as much as Joe, Ham and others on here, right? JG is not good enough for us, but Tomlin seems to think he is going to do fine in Pittsburgh....

Look, I have no clue if JG is the answer or not. I was just pointing him out as an option. In limited action for NE he threw for 5 TD's with no INT's. Maybe it is the system? The players love him as Ham seems to think our players love Hurts. His won lost record indicates that he couldn't have lost too many games with Errant throws. His team seems to think he makes the plays when it counts, similar to what Farve did? It will be interesting to see how he fares under another HC in a different system. If he does go to Pittsburgh, Tomlin must feel he can win with him. I trust his eyes much more than any of ours.....

12 minutes ago, stine said:

OK, How about we look at another QB that was famous for his dumb passes. My wife is a huge GB fan and has watched every game for 30+ years. She hated Brett Farve because he always threw that pass that shouldn't have been thrown. Heck I remember one at the top of my head when he did it in a play-off game. Threw it across his body to the other side of the field. A big no no.... Lost the game. But hey, he stinks. Just use the eye test!  Oh Wait, he is in the HOF!

Rumor is the Jimmy G may end up going to Pittsburgh. I guess Tomlin doesn't know as much as Joe, Ham and others on here, right? JG is not good enough for us, but Tomlin seems to think he is going to do fine in Pittsburgh....

Lol... Jimmy G and Favre now too.  Lol.   Pittsburgh is another team just a little ahead of us.  Pretty much won in spite of Big Ben the last 2 years .    Again my point.   The Eagles are not a strong team yet, Jimmy G doesn't move the needle enough to make the investment.   Not at this stage.  Tell your wife not to be a spoiled fan with the 2 QBs she has had the last 30 years.  Must be nice having 2 guys that an almost 50 year old Eagle fan hasn't even come close to having in his lifetime.

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Lol... Jimmy G and Favre now too.  Lol.   Pittsburgh is another team just a little ahead of us.  Pretty much won in spite of Big Ben the last 2 years .    Again my point.   The Eagles are not a strong team yet, Jimmy G doesn't move the needle enough to make the investment.   Not at this stage.  Tell your wife not to be a spoiled fan with the 2 QBs she has had the last 30 years.  Must be nice having 2 guys that an almost 50 year old Eagle fan hasn't even come close to having in his lifetime.

LMAO!  Oh it is OK to make dumb passes 15 years ago( Farve retired in 2010), but you can't make them now.....

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Pickett refusing the hand measurement.

That is telling. Small hands?

7 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

The era of football way easier to pass in today game then it was what 40-50 years ago. 

had to be if you throw twice as many INT's than TD's lol

7 minutes ago, stine said:

That is telling. Small hands?

Reminds me of a joke but i think i'll let it pass

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Exactly. They have fantastic weapons at TE and WR. Jimmy G puts up stats at times. But he seems to always do the most boneheaded things at the worst times.

I mean the Niners had to start handing off to Deebo to get him the ball because Garrapolo couldn’t.

That is just not true. Deebo started running the ball because he asked to when they were short on RB's. When he excelled they let him continue, who wouldn't. You do have a point about durability though. JG really only had 2 full seasons. That is an issue....

39 minutes ago, stine said:

LMAO!  Oh it is OK to make dumb passes 15 years ago( Farve retired in 2010), but you can't make them now.....

Dude... for real with complaining about a multiple time MVP... and comparing him to Jimmy G?    You watched the 3 playoff games ...did you see anything resembling Favre from Jimmy G?   Not even in the same conversation as to thr level of play.

27 minutes ago, stine said:

That is just not true. Deebo started running the ball because he asked to when they were short on RB's. When he excelled they let him continue, who wouldn't. You do have a point about durability though. JG really only had 2 full seasons. That is an issue....

Finally something common sense that we agree on. 

52 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Dude... for real with complaining about a multiple time MVP... and comparing him to Jimmy G?    You watched the 3 playoff games ...did you see anything resembling Favre from Jimmy G?   Not even in the same conversation as to thr level of play.

You are right. I need to see more of JG to make any comparison. I have seen Farve do great things in the play-offs. I also saw him stink up the joint in the play-offs. Thus his 13-11 record. I will say it again. I do not know if JG is the answer or not. I just pointed him out as an option. H e sure has the potential, more so than Hurts. He actually has an arm that can make all of the throws where Hurts will never have that. So, we stick with a QB we know will never be able to do what others can in a passing league?

47 minutes ago, stine said:

You are right. I need to see more of JG to make any comparison. I have seen Farve do great things in the play-offs. I also saw him stink up the joint in the play-offs. Thus his 13-11 record. I will say it again. I do not know if JG is the answer or not. I just pointed him out as an option. H e sure has the potential, more so than Hurts. He actually has an arm that can make all of the throws where Hurts will never have that. So, we stick with a QB we know will never be able to do what others can in a passing league?

1.  Favre did great and bad.  Nothing from Jimmy G really stands out as great.     The bad stuff or whatever you can discuss with Ham, I don't need everything to be so dramatic.  I watch Jimmy G play over the course of a game and I see a dude that misses a lot, nothing special at all, it's not about any last minute mistakes for me.

2.  We don’t need to " stick" with the current guy much longer.   The team stinks, it was realistically a 5-6 win team that had a lot of stuff go right.  There was no game vs a good team that was really even close... maybe the Chargers. 

So now isn't the time to give up good picks and pay high $ for a QB.   You saw some good QB play these last few weeks.   Look at the surrounding casts... that is what we can focus on now. 

Well, Based by what I hear, Steelers are looking into JG and I do not think it will cost more than a 4th round pick. Possibly a 5th or 6th. Reason being the 49ers are Cap Strapped and stand to get 25 mil relief by cutting or trading JG...

Archived