Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If you don’t see how obvious Goedert was running Ertz out of town than you are in fantasy Planet No Mas. It wasn’t even really hidden. Couple of BS quotes from both to keep looking like good guys. That was about it.

I was looking on the field for a few seasons.  I leave the soap opera stuff to you.   You thrive in that.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok…,you thought our passing game plans and calls were the stuff of genius. I thought it was a work in progress and less than average NFL quality.

Who said genius.  Why do you do that?  Misquote people all the time.   You don't see where it's a problem.  It's hard to have a conversation with someone who makes stuff up.   Never saw BG say our calls were genius, so why would you say that?  

Stout is the stud. Oline and run game were fantastic. Even with third string or less against Cowboy starters. We get better O minds in here and the O will launch. D was so vanilla to start the season it was pathetic. I’m the only one that at least let’s it slide a bit that it takes time.

We get better players in here...especially a guy that can pass...that will help the most.

Packers interview our QB coach for there OC job. For the fans that love to complain about our coaching they are getting a ton of attention around the league. 

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We get better O minds in here and the O will launch

Going with we get better QB play the O will launch our passing attack really held us back and no it wasn’t coaching plenty of plays were just missed by the players Hurts missing throws and guys dropping passes. 

Ok…,you thought our passing game plans and calls were the stuff of genius. I thought it was a work in progress and less than average NFL quality.

No never called them genius said we had one Ty of guys running open on numerous occasions all throughout the year that hurts just simply missed that isn’t on coaches. Did we have hiccups and some questionable calls sure but not nearly enough to blame the coaches for the players short comings 

Sooo looking at the Chiefs there too passing catching weapons with arguably the best QB in the nfl throwing to them 

Hill- 1200 yards 

Kelce- 1100 yards 

Hardman- 700 yards 

Our top 3 weapons 

Smith-900 yards(rookie)

Geodart-850 yards (splitting reps to start the season with Ertz)

Quez- 650 yards 

Cheifs had way more past top 3 but our top 3 guys aren’t bad 

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Like 2019-2020.    The injuries forced us to use a lot of 2 TE... there was a post where we used it the most, buy had like the 31st ranked yards per play average or something. 

For as good as the 2 are individually,  the results were not good.  

2020 tough to judge. Everything was crap. But I do know you follow closely. I do respect you know what you’re talking about….whether I agree or not. So I figure you have reasons for your opinion.

Why wouldn't the pass catching threat work better with 3 WRs...  now you have 4 threats on the field. You need to put the slower cover guy on the TE as compared to a quicker slot WR.

In two TEs the idea is to have more beef on the line to run the ball,  then take advantage of slower cover guys.   With Ertz, they didn't have to counter with a LB to replace the nickel, because he didn't cause a mismatch in the running game.

If you go Nickel like against 3 WR or like your saying against two TE Ertz then that should be an advantage to the run game. Corner is faster but not as physical. Also corners are usually short and small. So advantage to Ertz there also. But Goedert is clearly a weapon in the pass game also. So I still could see the two being great together. But becoming TE1 was Goedert’s priority. I’m not hating him for it. Everybody has seen it coming the whole time. Business of the NFL. Goedert is thriving as a result also. He just needs to clean things up a bit. He’s really excellent….but the standards for him are high.

Why wouldn't the pass catching threat work better with 3 WRs...  now you have 4 threats on the field. You need to put the slower cover guy on the TE as compared to a quicker slot WR.

In two TEs the idea is to have more beef on the line to run the ball,  then take advantage of slower cover guys.   With Ertz, they didn't have to counter with a LB to replace the nickel, because he didn't cause a mismatch in the running game.

So why would Ertz be so much less than a slot WR in the passing or running situation?

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So why would Ertz be so much less than a slot WR in the passing or running situation?

You watched Ertz for years.   Was he better in a passing or running situation?   I don't think that's a tough question?

You watched the " power rushing"  you think it's coincidence it was good in 2017 when Celek and Burton would play together...then not so great again until Ertz left snd Goedert had a legit blocker to play with?    

It's not rocket science...a finesse player, route runner and pass catcher type TE creates the mismatch with 3 WRs...now you got basically 4 WRs to cover.    Gotta make a decision about matchups.  Using 2 TEs, the idea is to get the initial mismatch in the power running...you need 2 legit blockers. Then you flip it to try to take advantage of bigger / slower/ less talented cover guys.   Defenses never had to flip it from nickel to 3 LBS with Ertz.

Seen too many times with our team throughout the years being great at rushing the ball out of three WR sets. We’ve had years where that is the formation that we have our biggest yards per carry. Many ways to look at it. DB typically aren’t as good against the run. And if you know they are going to play you Nickel then you pull an Olineman and the rushing lanes can get huge. But I think the main benefit of 3WR or 2TE with Ertz is the respect of the pass. He takes his guy out with him because he’s such a threat in the pass game. So that’s his weapon in the rushing attack more than being a blocker.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seen too many times with our team throughout the years being great at rushing the ball out of three WR sets. We’ve had years where that is the formation that we have our biggest yards per carry. Many ways to look at it. DB typically aren’t as good against the run. And if you know they are going to play you Nickel then you pull an Olineman and the rushing lanes can get huge. But I think the main benefit of 3WR or 2TE with Ertz is the respect of the pass. He takes his guy out with him because he’s such a threat in the pass game. So that’s his weapon in the rushing attack more than being a blocker.

You've seen us play for years.... what factor was Ertz in the running game?

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

You watched Ertz for years.   Was he better in a passing or running situation?   I don't think that's a tough question?

Was he better or worse than a 3rd WR is kind of the angle I’m talking about. I absolutely understand your point. But you aren’t just best running the ball with having a FB, Tailback and all Oline. Nickel D is not a great run D. Especially traditionally. Now I will say….I think the evolution of the game is going towards LB that are more like S. Coverage is becoming so huge. But that also leads me to understand why physical old school football can really make a comeback. Teams are going smaller and faster. So what worked for us is actually not a bad blueprint. I’d kind of throw it back to how Seattle with Beast Mode worked. Tennessee has been catching people. Really think the Niners have really been on the track. So my thinking is more a Zig when everybody else is zagging. It’s a copycat league. Teams prepare and face the finesse more than ever. So now the old school football could be ready for a return. I’m seeing it being proven to still work. LB just aren’t the size they used to be. Even plenty of teams have DE or rush backers that aren’t big boys like Reggie White. I think we’re really got a great setup to go this path. Really think that’s What I was seeing to be Siri’s preference and plan. Get big with Dickerson and Milton. Heck…let’s get Cox at DE. 

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Was he better or worse than a 3rd WR is kind of the angle I’m talking about. 

And that's the point.  Since that is a question... then having Goedert with either Ertz or a 3rd WR is pretty much the same in the running game. Then the two TEs didn't offer any advantage.  It's what I'm trying to say. And what actually transpired.   When a legit blocker like Stoll was added next to Goedert, then that has impact in the running game.  

Not really hard to comprehend there?

If you want to say we ran the ball well in 3 WR sets with Ertz because he was a pass catching threat... then it works the same with Goedert right?    Basically the two of them specifically, isn't a natural pairing.   Ertz didn't add anything to the run blocking, he just overlapped what Goedert could give you in the pass game.    

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

If you want to say we ran the ball well in 3 WR sets with Ertz because he was a pass catching threat... then it works the same with Goedert right?    Basically the two of them specifically, isn't a natural pairing.   Ertz didn't add anything to the run blocking, he just overlapped what Goedert could give you in the pass game.    

I’m saying Ertz is basically a third WR. So it’s fairly equal. A great WR can help the run game by running a route and capturing the focus of the S plus the corner that’s on him. A big bull of a G can physically clear a hole. Different things can still work. A blocking TE can draw the defense in towards the run more than a catching TE. The blocker can clear a hole. The receivers can be the threat that backs 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m saying Ertz is basically a third WR. So it’s fairly equal. A great WR can help the run game by running a route and capturing the focus of the S plus the corner that’s on him. A big bull of a G can physically clear a hole. Different things can still work. A blocking TE can draw the defense in towards the run more than a catching TE. The blocker can clear a hole. The receivers can be the threat that backs 

It is a little like the DL and secondary. They both compliment each other. Without a DL getting pressure your secondary is going to struggle. With bad corners you are going to be burned. They both need to help each other. 

Yeah ... Ertz was a threat with his speed...lol.   He was doubled with a CB and S now too???     He isn't a WR.  Not the kind that opens up a run game.  Is it coincidence he left and the 2 TE set started working better?  

Goedert is already the receiving threat... pair him with Ertz and he becomes the blocker.  One good blocker.  Pair him with Stoll and now you have 2.   You can still use Goedert in a route and have Stoll pass block, similar to what Goedert did when Ertz went out in the route.   It's a better package when both guys can block DEs and LBS, not just DBs like Ertz.

9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Goedert is already the receiving threat... pair him with Ertz and he becomes the blocker.  One good blocker.  Pair him with Stoll and now you have 2.   You can still use Goedert in a route and have Stoll pass block, similar to what Goedert did when Ertz went out in the route.   It's a better package when both guys can block DEs and LBS, not just DBs like Ertz.

Is it better when both TE can block or both have to be respected receivers? Goedert is good at both. That ideal. But I could skin that cat either way.

Are you better off with JJAW or DeVante Adams at WR in the run game. JJAW is a superior blocker for sure. But I think Adams opens up the run game much more with his superior receiving skills.

Archived