Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

50 minutes ago, stine said:

Joe, Next week we play Washington. We are up 17-0 at halftime. Are you fine with the Eagles just running the ball to take time off the clock without worrying about scoring? We do nothing with the ball and the 4th Quarter starts 17-0. We run the ball 3 straight times, punt and Washington returns the ball for a TD. We are now up by 10. We attempt to turn up the Tempo, but we miss a couple passes and punt the ball again. Now Washington scores a quick 7. We are now only up by 3. We have no momentum and our passing game is now out of sync. We run 3 plays and have to punt again! Washington scores the Go ahead TD. What if we had kept the pedal on in the third quarter. Press them and try to score another TD? Our offense is still clicking and Washington has not yet done anything.  Maybe that TD makes the whole difference in the game. But you are fine. There is no urgency. We are up by 17 at half time! This is why Buffalo kept scoring when they were up by 17 midway thru the third quarter. They did not want Their opposition to get any type of groove. Now they are up by 34 in the 4th. They can sit Allen and move on to next week.....

Stine... if after the 1st drive if the 2nd half ...the Eagles control the ball until 3 minutes left in the quarter... and have it set up for a FG.  I'm good. 

From there we see the rest of the game.  If it's still 17-0 the next time we have the ball in the 4th Q.. yes,I would prefer we occupy the time and not throw dumb INTs.

If Washington scores right away,and or it's not a 17 point lead for all our 3 possessions in the 4th Q... then it would be nice to have another real long drive or score.  

It depends on what is actually happening in the moment.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Stine... if after the 1st drive if the 2nd half ...the Eagles control the ball until 3 minutes left in the quarter... and have it set up for a FG.  I'm good. 

From there we see the rest of the game.  If it's still 17-0 the next time we have the ball in the 4th Q.. yes,I would prefer we occupy the time and not throw dumb INTs.

If Washington scores right away,and or it's not a 17 point lead for all our 3 possessions in the 4th Q... then it would be nice to have another real long drive or score.  

It depends on what is actually happening in the moment.

Nice way to avoid the post. You running for the Congress?

But look at the Miami comeback.  D you think a possible reason for it might be that the last 5 Baltimore possessions... used on 7:23.   They had a huge lead, scored 10 points on those 5 possessions. The problem was they gave Miami all those possessions as well.  ( this is late 3rd Q on)

Minnesota never got those possessions.  

1 minute ago, stine said:

Nice way to avoid the post. You running for the Congress?

What is the post?  You keep talking what ifs.  What ifs don't matter.  Ask Baltimore if they would have preferred to eat the clock rather than get those last 10 points?

How about the RB, I think Chubb?  He could have fallen in bounds to end the game instead of scoring.  

You keep the ball and limit the opponent's possessions when you have a 3 score lead.  That's the highest % of winning.   Congrats to Buffalo for scoring the meaningless points.  

The Flyers win 4-0... they score 4 goals in the 1st period.  You asking these same questions for them...I mean what if the opponent scored, they need to win 8-0 just incase.

The Phillies score 8 in the first inning and win 8-2.   I mean,  we can't have them not score for 8 innings ?

What if.  The answer is simple, what if the game went differently,  then you have to do things differently as well. As per this past week... I prefer how we  handled it as opposed to Baltimore ( who scored multiple times but used minimum clock.) I think the results speak for themselves. 

So I’m with No Mas here on after halftime. Vikes got the ball first in the second half and drove on us. Slay ended with an interception. I don’t think we took the foot off the pedal at all. Drove all the way down to the 22 to kick an easy field goal. Ate up clock the whole way. That’s how you protect a lead. Eat clock and drive down to score. Kick was just blocked. We didn’t kneel down and refuse points or anything. That happened with just 3 minutes left in the third quarter.

We got another interception by Maddox I believe. Then we drove a bit but Mailata questionable holding call had us at 4 and 3 from our own 47. You punt in that situation. Could have gone for it and been balls to the walls. But why with that lead? You punt and pin and make them earn it the hard way. It’s fourth quarter….up three possessions. Not time for glory stats to win some paper trophy. Be smart.

The Vikes did a little something but we’re forced a punt. Then Gainwell butterfingered the catch. That playcall wasn’t the Steichen just sitting on a lead even. That’s still going for it…Be it a short supposed safe passing play with 7 minutes to go. 
  They blocked our easy field goal. A holding penalty shut us down and the RB flopping a catch. That’s all that happened in three drives we had in the second half. So we aren’t perfect. But we kicked there butts. They didn’t step off the gas though. Not until the last drives when it was truely time to salt away the victory. 7 minutes to go….we left them with 4 minutes down three scores.

My biggest issue lies with how Gannon is utilizing Reddick. Him not creating pressure on the QB and generating sacks is a failure to me. 

Damn Ham

We thought you had a heart attack after watching Hurts  complete83% of his passes

26 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Reddick is dealing with a knee ailment going into this week. So that might be what’s truely going on.

He dropped into pass coverage several times. Seems to me that would be harder on a bum knee

Niners thought they had a deal worked out to ship Jimmy G to the Maryland Commanders. Then Garrapolo decided to have surgery sinking the deal.

8 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

He dropped into pass coverage several times. Seems to me that would be harder on a bum knee

That’s what I’m trying to figure. Why is he playing in the second level of the D soooo much? Misusing his talents I think. Only positive I see is upcoming OCs not preparing enough for him being a pass rusher. A fake out. Otherwise it’s pretty bone headed.

Agree with Ham, except for blaming Gainwell... to me, the QB shouldn't have thrown the ball.   But either way,it's definitely not the coaching being conservative with a 3 score lead and 7 minutes left.   Again,I think they played smart as compared to Baltimore who scored 10 points late and didn't use clock to stop Miami from scoring more.

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Agree with Ham, except for blaming Gainwell... to me, the QB shouldn't have thrown the ball. 

I yelled at the TV, "Why in the hell did you throw that ball? Just take the loss rather than turning the ball over. Tick…tick…tick…tick!"

That really, was the only boneheaded play from Hurts that I remember.

3 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I yelled at the TV, "Why in the hell did you throw that ball? Just take the loss rather than turning the ball over. Tick…tick…tick…tick!"

That really, was the only boneheaded play from Hurts that I remember.

What was boneheaded? He dumped it right off into Gainwell’s hands. Should have been an easy completion.

Joe is hunting in Doe Season and shoots a buck. He tells the Game warden that he wasn't really a buck. He was a doe. But was born with all of the attributes of a buck. He really should have been a she. He really thought all this time that he was screwed at birth. Think the game warden would buy it?

So, the Eagles were able to stuff the run. I guess the question is if Davis played a part in this? He didn't play much in the first week and Detroit was able to run on the Eagles. not knowing how many plays davis was in there for the running plays, I assume he played a more significant part?

We are looking at game two. Before we make any quick judgments, give Davis a few games under his belt. I am sure his snap count will rise as the season progresses....

This is going to be an interesting match up this Sunday. Wentz has an ax to grind, so you have to think he is going to put forth his best effort. on the other hand, we should know his tendencies, so you would think Gannon should have a plan in place for him. I guess the question is if we can apply enough pressure on him or not. Not sure how good their O-Line is, but we need to utilize Reddick better Sunday. Stop putting him in coverage and let him loose......

2 minutes ago, stine said:

This is going to be an interesting match up this Sunday. Wentz has an ax to grind, so you have to think he is going to put forth his best effort. on the other hand, we should know his tendencies, so you would think Gannon should have a plan in place for him. I guess the question is if we can apply enough pressure on him or not. Not sure how good their O-Line is, but we need to utilize Reddick better Sunday. Stop putting him in coverage and let him loose......

Ham posted yesterday that Reddick is dealing with a knee problem so it makes no sense to drop him in coverage.

As someone with 2 Titanium knees i can say it's easier to move forward than to the side.

Archived