Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

What was boneheaded? He dumped it right off into Gainwell’s hands. Should have been an easy completion.

Never his fault with you...lol

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the call, not Hurts fault, he placed the ball and Gainwell should have caught it. but the play call was questionable

Idk, we gave up 7 points..  not sure I'm worried about snap counts and who drops into coverage?  I know I'm looking ar results and what actually happened.... weird isn't it.   

1 minute ago, stine said:

It was the call, not Hurts fault, he placed the ball and Gainwell should have caught it. but the play call was questionable

So if it wasn't the QBs fault that means it can't be the play call either...  since it was there.  

I'm looking at a short QB who had tunnel vision for the RB without seeing what else was around him.  Shouldn't have thrown it.  One read and run would have been perfect there

Or my dumb idea of 3 runs and a punt might have been good.... but hypothetically we might not have had a 17 point lead .

8 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I yelled at the TV, "Why in the hell did you throw that ball? Just take the loss rather than turning the ball over. Tick…tick…tick…tick!"

That really, was the only boneheaded play from Hurts that I remember.

Throwing shorty passes to RB's is usually pretty safe, not like you are tossing a ball 45 yards into double coverage

3 hours ago, stine said:

So, the Eagles were able to stuff the run. I guess the question is if Davis played a part in this? He didn't play much in the first week and Detroit was able to run on the Eagles. not knowing how many plays davis was in there for the running plays, I assume he played a more significant part?

IDK that the Wuss have a decent running game. Their star draft pick was the guy who was shot. Not sure he makes it back this week. So I would be putting more emphasis on covering McLaurin and Logan Thomas (TE) and blitzing Wentz as much as possible. So I feel the LB's are the ones who will make the plays(or not). SO this will be an interesting game plan Siri comes up with. It should be very different from last week

If we cancelled JJ last week,then we should(in theory) be able to handle McLaurin. I want Wentz on his rear early and often. if he takes off running that could be a mistake as he gets hurt alot doing that,but he is "Mr. Hero ball" so we need to use that huge ego to our advantage. I picked Wentz up as a fantasy BU because he has scored 35 points 2 weeks in a row and I hope that stops this week. If the D plays like last week we will get 3 picks off him 😁

1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

Ham posted yesterday that Reddick is dealing with a knee problem so it makes no sense to drop him in coverage.

As someone with 2 Titanium knees i can say it's easier to move forward than to the side.

May make sense to drop him into coverage this week even without any issues (see what I posted). I don't consider their running game to be a threat,not that it should be ignored,but I would think they use their TE this week(Logan Thomas) who is healthy this week. Last week was really impressive shutting down JJ,Cook and Thielen,but I will say it again,we need to play 60

34 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So if it wasn't the QBs fault that means it can't be the play call either...  since it was there.  

I'm looking at a short QB who had tunnel vision for the RB without seeing what else was around him.  Shouldn't have thrown it.  One read and run would have been perfect there

Or my dumb idea of 3 runs and a punt might have been good.... but hypothetically we might not have had a 17 point lead .

Correct, it was the RB who muffed the play. But Why call the play to begin with? You said it was a stupid call, right?

Rewatched the game. Hurts has a terrific lower body strength. He is tough to stop on the run. So if we mix it up like last week,the Wuss should be playing from behind which will allow ample opportunities to blitz Wentz. I think a few nice plays would be Hurts running behind another RB who is blocking, like Scott 

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

May make sense to drop him into coverage this week even without any issues (see what I posted). I don't consider their running game to be a threat,not that it should be ignored,but I would think they use their TE this week(Logan Thomas) who is healthy this week. Last week was really impressive shutting down JJ,Cook and Thielen,but I will say it again,we need to play 60

His strength is rushing the QB and you want him in Coverage where he is weakest?

24 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Throwing shorty passes to RB's is usually pretty safe, not like you are tossing a ball 45 yards into double coverage

Right,  except if you go back and watch the play again, it should have been intercepted by the DL that was standing right there...it's why Gainwell flinched. #94 was moving right to the ball, looking at it, idk how he didn't pick it off himself?  Was not a good decision to throw it there,lucky it made it to Gainwell..then unlucky that he tipped it.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Right,  except if you go back and watch the play again, it should have been intercepted by the DL that was standing right there...it's why Gainwell flinched. #94 was moving right to the ball, looking at it, idk how he didn't pick it off himself?  Was not a good decision to throw it there,lucky it made it to Gainwell..then unlucky that he tipped it.

Yes, because D-Linemen are great at intercepting passes! :)

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Correct, it was the RB who muffed the play. But Why call the play to begin with? You said it was a stupid call, right?

Never said it was a stupid call.  Actually if Hurts delays another split second and let's #94 clear out, Gainwell have been open.  

Look at the play, just Google Jordan Hicks interception. 

3 minutes ago, stine said:

His strength is rushing the QB and you want him in Coverage where he is weakest?

If he is hurt,you want to hurt him more?

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So it wasn't the play call,it was the lack of execution

Just now, stine said:

Yes, because D-Linemen are great at intercepting passes! 🙂

Because go watch the play as the DL steps right in front of Gainwell.  The size difference there, from our side angle we see the ball,  it obvious that the much bigger dude right in the path of the ball caused Gainwell to flinch...it wasn't the velocity of the ball, nor did he look to run before catching,  it was a reaction like he wasn't expecting the ball.

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If he is hurt,you want to hurt him more?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right.. the QB should see the play in front of him... either let the DL clear, or don't throw at all.   If he delayed a split second,Gainwell looks to have a few blockers and some space coming to the middle of the field.  

Throwing it early there was risky, and even if caught looks like Hicks could make the play from the outside as the blockers were inside.

Of course... with " illegal man downfield" being called all night .. I'm sure that might have been a factor in Hurts looking to unload the ball rather quickly

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Never said it was a stupid call.  Actually if Hurts delays another split second and let's #94 clear out, Gainwell have been open.  

Look at the play, just Google Jordan Hicks interception. 

https://www.vikings.com/video/vikings-top-plays-from-monday-s-game-against-the-eagles

All I see is the Minnesota D-Linemen with their backs to the ball. So how exactly is a D-Lineman who has issues catching at pass going to turn around at the right moment and make that INT?

1 minute ago, stine said:

https://www.vikings.com/video/vikings-top-plays-from-monday-s-game-against-the-eagles

All I see is the Minnesota D-Linemen with their backs to the ball. So how exactly is a D-Lineman who has issues catching at pass going to turn around at the right moment and make that INT?

You don't see # 94 moving right in front of Gainwell?

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You don't see # 94 moving right in front of Gainwell?

I see 4 linemen rushing the QB that were all off to the side of the play and another with his back to Hurts between him and Gainwell.  Gainwell jumps and mishandles the ball, tipping it right into Hick's hands...

13 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right.. the QB should see the play in front of him... either let the DL clear, or don't throw at all.   If he delayed a split second,Gainwell looks to have a few blockers and some space coming to the middle of the field.  

Throwing it early there was risky, and even if caught looks like Hicks could make the play from the outside as the blockers were inside.

Possible it was a busted play?

I watched it a few times. I don't see an issue with the play call. Seems like Gains just started to run before he had the ball. JMO

I AM not sure what everyone is seeing, but the pass rush was on hurts left and he had a clear line of sight to make that pass. he put a soft touch over the D-Lineman with his back to the ball. Any decent RB should catch that pass. Whether or not he gets anymore yardage is unclear, but it is all on the RB. Now, hurts could have run the ball if he chose to, but why put his body in jeopardy at this point of that game? Everyone keeps telling me the Eagles had the game well in hand.....

Archived