Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

An interesting article on the Derek Barnett situation.

The Eagles have a Derek Barnett dilemma | RSN (nbcsports.com)

One thing about his contract is that he can't be traded until the new league year, so if the team wants to use his salary to get under the threshold by the start of the new league year, they have to extend him or release him.

This may turn into a game of chicken where no one blinks. His value is around $7.5 million a year, which in theory makes a new deal easy to work out. But since it hasn't gotten done, my guess is he wants more. His $10 million contract becomes gtd. at the start of the league year, so a new team can't extend him.

The Browns have expressed interest, but I wonder if they want to give up a pick and pay him $10 million, just to risk losing him next year.   

I know "Nuke" is not happy in Cleveland, perhaps there is an "in" there

A tweet on Fields.

Benjamin Solak on Twitter: "Next up in my scouting report series for @BleedingGreen: Ohio State QB Justin Fields Right now, if I had to commit to just one guess: this is the player the Eagles pick at 6 overall. Just too talented at a premium position to pass up. https://t.co/a847rf5mtK" / Twitter

I think this is pretty accurate, but I don't see him lasting until 6.

My guess is the draft goes Lawrence, Wilson/Fields, Pitts/Chase, Wilson/Fields (Atlanta trades back), Sewell and then us, and I am praying we trade back to 8 or 9 and skip Lance. It could then go Lance, with Waddle, Smith and Chase/Pitts going the next three picks, with us getting one of them or grabbing a CB.   

19 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well, that is 2 which is good. Plus others may join in as the deadline nears. a 3rd is not out of range. But I feel a 4th is the worst they will do.

37 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, that is 2 which is good. Plus others may join in as the deadline nears. a 3rd is not out of range. But I feel a 4th is the worst they will do.

I get really tired of losing players over money. Like 8 million a year playing GAME isn't enough? I won't make that in 10 lifetimes. I remember when guys played for $300.00 a game. These salaries are out of control. Whole league is now prima donna pu**ies . The some say "well they only have a few years to make their money" Really? Like they don't invest or buy other businesses later? I wish I was that "broke". I think there should be salary caps. It's getting ridiculous

13 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Well he's not a TE . They just put that tag on him

45 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

A tweet on Fields.

Benjamin Solak on Twitter: "Next up in my scouting report series for @BleedingGreen: Ohio State QB Justin Fields Right now, if I had to commit to just one guess: this is the player the Eagles pick at 6 overall. Just too talented at a premium position to pass up. https://t.co/a847rf5mtK" / Twitter

I think this is pretty accurate, but I don't see him lasting until 6.

My guess is the draft goes Lawrence, Wilson/Fields, Pitts/Chase, Wilson/Fields (Atlanta trades back), Sewell and then us, and I am praying we trade back to 8 or 9 and skip Lance. It could then go Lance, with Waddle, Smith and Chase/Pitts going the next three picks, with us getting one of them or grabbing a CB.   

I dont see it that way. Atl would be foolish to NOT take a future QB while they have the 4 pick(but hey fools are everywhere)

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Operative word in that tweet ... "guess”.

No one (outside a select few involved in the decision making) have any clue which way we might be leaning.  

Personally I don’t think Howie wants to go QB ... that is pretty much admitting failure on both our 2016 1st rd pick and our 2020 2nd rd selection.  

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I get really tired of losing players over money. Like 8 million a year playing GAME isn't enough? I won't make that in 10 lifetimes. I remember when guys played for $300.00 a game. These salaries are out of control. Whole league is now prima donna pu**ies . The some say "well they only have a few years to make their money" Really? Like they don't invest or buy other businesses later? I wish I was that "broke". I think there should be salary caps. It's getting ridiculous

I definitely agree!  I’ve been saying the same for years.  People playing a sport for a living making $30-40M/year (meanwhile we have vets who served this country living in boxes under bridges).  😏

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I dont see it that way. Atl would be foolish to NOT take a future QB while they have the 4 pick(but hey fools are everywhere)

ATL is in a weird spot. They are aging on offense and young on defense. Ryan's contract is a mess, but he is still playing really well, and they have a window to make a run if they can fix their issues on defense. They could have just as easily gone 12-4 last year as 4-12. If Fields falls to them, a lot of teams will be trying to trade up (including possibly us) and draft picks are really valuable to them due to their cap issues. 

As far as taking a future qb, maybe GB wins the SB last year if they draft a player who could have contributed right away instead of a backup qb in the first round.

An interesting podcast with Chris Simms.

Breaking down the Eagles' Quarterback situation with Chris Simms | Eagle Eye Podcast - YouTube

He says he doesn't think Hurts is any good, and that the team should draft a qb at 6. I am not sure how good of an analyst he is or if this is just a hot take, but last year he ranked the QBs as Burrow, Herbert, Love, Tua and Eason, so he was able to see that Herbert was better than Tua, but he was also way down on Hurts last year, so this may be a carryover from that.

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Restructure, sign him to make the deal better ,then trade him

Then you create unnecessary dead cap hit.  Plus the free agent would just want to go sign with the new team without that team giving up anything.  Sign and trade doesn't work...  " tag and trade works, because you get control of the player but don't have any dead cap from the tag. 

Plus... what are you restructuring? There is no contract for TY. He is a free agent.

14 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Breaking down the Eagles' Quarterback situation with Chris Simms | Eagle Eye Podcast - YouTube

He says he doesn't think Hurts is any good, and that the team should draft a qb at 6. I am not sure how good of an analyst he is or if this is just a hot take, but last year he ranked the QBs as Burrow, Herbert, Love, Tua and Eason, so he was able to see that Herbert was better than Tua, but he was also way down on Hurts last year, so this may be a carryover from that.

LOL his father told him

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/1/28/22253929/nfl-trade-rumors-zach-ertz-eagles-2021-nfl-philadelphia-tight-end-free-agency-contract-goedert-bills he is not a FA until the 31st. If teams think we may re-sign him,they could make a trade offer before that???? If are not planning on taking Pitts,then he will be restructured and re-signed IMO. I can't see us moving forward with 1 viable TE

Ertz is out.   Going to be released if they can't get a trade.   He isn't a free agent.  TY is a free agent. He will negotiate with a team, no need to have the Colts sign him first and then get traded. Does nothing for the player.

Yes... but you can't trade him for a free agent. Lol

5 hours ago, stine said:

75% chance he gets cut...  if he can be traded... 5th round pick at best.   Everyone knows he is going to get cut, and who would trade for him with only one year left on his deal?  If they already planned on extending,  they know they have him.  If he planned on extension with another team, why would another team trade for him? 

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

But they also want to go to a team that can win.  The idea... get paid, get guaranteed money, play for a team that can win.  

When you stink...you have to overpay.  Like we are at the moment. 

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

ATL is in a weird spot. They are aging on offense and young on defense. Ryan's contract is a mess, but he is still playing really well, and they have a window to make a run if they can fix their issues on defense. They could have just as easily gone 12-4 last year as 4-12. If Fields falls to them, a lot of teams will be trying to trade up (including possibly us) and draft picks are really valuable to them due to their cap issues. 

As far as taking a future qb, maybe GB wins the SB last year if they draft a player who could have contributed right away instead of a backup qb in the first round.

Yeah IDK which way they go. No knock against Ryan,but this is an op they have to at least get a replacement groomed without having to throw them into the fire

48 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Simms 🤣 Let's go find out what Favre and Manning have to say

34 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Going to be released if they can't get a trade

Right, so he is still tradeable(right now) which is what I said

34 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

But they also want to go to a team that can win.  The idea... get paid, get guaranteed money, play for a team that can win.  

When you stink...you have to overpay.  Like we are at the moment. 

No I'm just making generalities. The salaries are out of control. When was the last time you heard of ticket price cuts??? $99.00 for a jersey made in China that costs 35 cents to make. No profit here.Ludicrous . I used to dream of attending a SB. Now I'd need to take out a loan just for parking

Adam Caplan has said a few times that the Eagles will begin playing a defense similar to the Vikings, which means about 30 percent man and 70 percent zone.

Here is a good article about their defense.

How the Vikings Play Defense - Part I - Daily Norseman

The Vikings obviously had a pretty talented back 7 that made their defense work, but it also relied heavily on pre-snap disguise and movement, and the fact that their linebackers could be effective on the blitz. So it's a scheme that should benefit a guy like Genard Avery, as it keeps him largely out of man to man opportunities, and it takes advantage of his rushing skills.

I also think Maddox, Epps and Wallace will do all right as safeties/slot corner in this scheme. I like Epps and Maddox as safeties, and Wallace as the slot. Obviously an upgrade at safety would be nice, but those guys should be able to hold down the fort initially. The biggest need is a corner opposite of Slay, but I am sure we will find one in the draft.

My guess is that the defense will get a lot better if we incorporate the Vikings concepts that Schwartz refused to use, namely pre snap disguise, alternating between cover 1, cover 2 and cover 3. We should also see an improvement with guys playing positions they can actually play (Avery, Maddox) and with some infusion of new talent through the draft.

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

75% chance he gets cut...  if he can be traded... 5th round pick at best.   Everyone knows he is going to get cut, and who would trade for him with only one year left on his deal?  If they already planned on extending,  they know they have him.  If he planned on extension with another team, why would another team trade for him? 

75%? You pick that number out of thin air? I mean I have read allot of articles and Seattle is desperate for a TE. Colts are losing a couple to FA. Both need one. Ertz may have had a bad year, but if you were a GM for either of those teams, you would love to have the upper hand working out a contract to keep him for 3 years. You sure it isn't 50%? What about 40%..? I love how people put an arbitrary percentage on something happening and expect others to believe it as fact.

Here is what I have been reading for the most part about Ertz...

For the crowd that is sure to say, "Why wouldn’t Indianapolis just wait for Ertz to be released and then sign him?”, that’s a valid question. However, that brings a lot of other factors into the mix. Other teams could swoop in and grab him whereas a trade would ensure the Colts would be able to upgrade at tight end, something they’ve clearly wanted to do.

Same could be said about any team that clearly needs a TE, a position that is not big on talent this year in the draft.

42 minutes ago, stine said:

Here is what I have been reading for the most part about Ertz...

For the crowd that is sure to say, "Why wouldn’t Indianapolis just wait for Ertz to be released and then sign him?”, that’s a valid question. However, that brings a lot of other factors into the mix. Other teams could swoop in and grab him whereas a trade would ensure the Colts would be able to upgrade at tight end, something they’ve clearly wanted to do.

Same could be said about any team that clearly needs a TE, a position that is not big on talent this year in the draft.

Kyle Rudolph released (or to be released).  Wonder if Indy or Seattle grabs him since it won't cost a draft pick to get him.   

Archived