Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

One thought on the Eagles QB situation and the draft.

The team should absolutely know what they have in Jalen Hurts. While our offensive coaching staff is new, the QB coach has known Hurts since he was a child, and so he should have a lot of knowledge of Hurts' game. He also coached Dak for his college career, so he should know what it takes to be a starting qb in the league. Plus, we presumably have people from our scouting department watching our own players to see how they have developed who have a year of practice time and four games in which to form an opinion on him.

It’s going to come down to how the Eagles view Hurts and how they view the QBs in this draft. 
If they fully believe in Hurt we are not likely to draft a guy on the flip if we are not fully committed and they love a QB in this draft they likely do everything they can to get him. 

There is likely a grey area there where we are not sold on Hurts but don’t like the QBs in this draft but Philly would never own up to this scenario they would just say Hurts is our guy. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will alter what I think the Eagles do in round 1 now though with a new OT seeming to rise up boards lately that I’ve seen. Think Philly either goes QB or OT now with our first round pick 

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

One thought on the Eagles QB situation and the draft.

The team should absolutely know what they have in Jalen Hurts. While our offensive coaching staff is new, the QB coach has known Hurts since he was a child, and so he should have a lot of knowledge of Hurts' game. He also coached Dak for his college career, so he should know what it takes to be a starting qb in the league. Plus, we presumably have people from our scouting department watching our own players to see how they have developed who have a year of practice time and four games in which to form an opinion on him.

So I am confident the team has some idea of how good or bad he is, and how we should approach the position in relation to the draft. If they don't get their evaluation right of Hurts, it raises a lot of questions in how the team functions at a pretty basic level. There have been a lot of whiffs in recent years - Gerry at LB and Maddox at corner to name two - that makes me wonder if our coaching staff even knows what's happening in front of them at practice. And that's a serious problem.

Hopefully our new regime won't suffer from the same issues.   

Wow... I can't really put Gerry and Maddox as anything major or in relation to a 2nd round pick at a position you already had.   Every team has their Gerry and Maddox day 3 picks that don't really work out.  No many do what the Eagles have just done at QB.   This move here is truly the smartest person in the room type move.  

If you don't look at their draft history of recent years ... and just start to question the organization ... NOW?????   You don't think you are a little late to the party?  

56 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I will alter what I think the Eagles do in round 1 now though with a new OT seeming to rise up boards lately that I’ve seen. Think Philly either goes QB or OT now with our first round pick 

Trade back... if just once, they take a CB   ...if they trade back twice ... I think they go lineman (on either side of the ball)    I seriously doubt they pick at 6, but if so QB is a legit option.   I don't see them going WR or TE at pick 6, they just invested 3 picks in WRs last year, they got rid of the cancer ... so now everything will be great.   So that means " we can't pass up the highest rated player on our board (QB)  or they move back for the " value"  

The move back for a linemen will have Howie smiling all day long.  

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

It’s going to come down to how the Eagles view Hurts and how they view the QBs in this draft. 
If they fully believe in Hurt we are not likely to draft a guy on the flip if we are not fully committed and they love a QB in this draft they likely do everything they can to get him. 

There is likely a grey area there where we are not sold on Hurts but don’t like the QBs in this draft but Philly would never own up to this scenario they would just say Hurts is our guy. 

Hurts is the guy publicly either way... if they draft a guy at 6... " QB is the most important position, we only have one on our roster, we won a SB with a backup QB, ... you can;t have too many QBs"     plus " he was the highest rated player on the board, just like last year when we took Jalen"     the standard blah blah blah.   

And BTW... the team should absolutely NOT know what they have in Hurts.   4 games with a pathetic supporting cast, just getting his feet wet.   My fear... "he is so likeable of a guy, they miss the fact he may not be able to throw at this level.     The BS spin that came out yesterday from Avant was hilarious.  But not surprising.  

26 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Trade back... if just once, they take a CB   ...if they trade back twice ... I think they go lineman (on either side of the ball)    I seriously doubt they pick at 6, but if so QB is a legit option.   I don't see them going WR or TE at pick 6, they just invested 3 picks in WRs last year, they got rid of the cancer ... so now everything will be great.   So that means " we can't pass up the highest rated player on our board (QB)  or they move back for the " value"  

The move back for a linemen will have Howie smiling all day long.  

I don’t see it the trade back sure just don’t see CB as a option. Eagles build inside out just there philosophy so even if we trade back still think it would be linemen mainly OL because still not sure there is much top talent on the DL. But lots of OL starting to get mentioned Darrishaw and Slater getting mentioned a lot lately Sewell still being talked as the best. 

Some have Pitts as the 2nd best player on the board. He is a phenom and can play either TE or WR. He is a match up nightmare.  He should be on the top of their board. Saying that, HR will probably draft a QB and have most of us shaking our head.

No team would have 3 QB's ranked above all other positions on their board. At 6 at least 3 QBs will be gone, so we take the 4th or 5th best QB? I certainly hope HR is not that stupid.

19 minutes ago, stine said:

No team would have 3 QB's ranked above all other positions on their board. At 6 at least 3 QBs will be gone, so we take the 4th or 5th best QB? I certainly hope HR is not that stupid.

Lmao I don’t see it keep hearing all these claims of 3-4 QBs going before 6 I don’t see it as likely. 
Lawernce locked in should be 1... After that I see ATL as a huge maybe that’s it.... At best I say 2 QBs are gone by 6 wouldn’t shock me in the least if it’s only Lawrence 

On the other end I also don’t foresee this being that active of a draft don’t think we will see teams trading much just stick to there boards.

This is a weird offseason and weird for the draft can’t do pre workout  visits from what I heard no combine basically only get to see guys during there pro days. 

47 minutes ago, stine said:

But to this point I will agree I don’t see us drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB. If we are drafting a QB it will be a guy we love so whether he falls to our lap or we move up slightly for him is the question if we like a QB that much I see us doing everything we can to get him.

Just my opinion think there only two guys I’d strongly consider after Lawrence right now and that’s Zach Wilson of course and Mac Jones now. 

If we can’t get our QB or don’t like anyone think we end up getting an OT 

MaAIgBaS_x96.jpg

The #Eagles have elected not to tender punter Cam Johnston due to salary cap issues, source said, making him an unrestricted free agent. He should have an active market

This is a pretty good look at Justin Fields and the progress he made from last year to this year.

2021 NFL Draft: Justin Fields, the mental side and two games against Clemson - YouTube

If I had to guess, the qb class is going to get more muddled as we get closer to the draft. Jones had a strong senior bowl, and some teams might actually prefer a guy like him. He and Mond both had good senior bowl weeks.

Reading the tea leaves, I would guess the Eagles will take a WR, whether it means moving back a few spots or just grabbing one at 6. Oline is possible, but after missing on Metcalf and Jefferson, I doubt they pass on a WR (or Pitts), especially if the first five picks are four QBs and Sewell, as some are projecting. 

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

MaAIgBaS_x96.jpg

The #Eagles have elected not to tender punter Cam Johnston due to salary cap issues, source said, making him an unrestricted free agent. He should have an active market

How bad does your salary cap situation have to be that you can't tender a friggin punter?

8 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

It’s seems abundantly clear the players believe in Hurts. That shouldn’t be underestimated.

2 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

How bad does your salary cap situation have to be that you can't tender a friggin punter?

Hopefully they have an understanding and are just doing this to get past the deadline of cap dollars.

6 hours ago, stine said:

Some have Pitts as the 2nd best player on the board. He is a phenom and can play either TE or WR. He is a match up nightmare.  He should be on the top of their board. Saying that, HR will probably draft a QB and have most of us shaking our head.

I have to say Stine……if Pitts is there and NOT the pick I would be extremely disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

You took the words right outta my mouth

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Hopefully they have an understanding and are just doing this to get past the deadline of cap dollars.

I think it overhyped honestly think the players will support whoever is behind center. 

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s seems abundantly clear the players believe in Hurts. That shouldn’t be underestimated.

Oh it will matter as far as Howie being popular if they select a QB... which is part of the comedy that I would be enjoying.  Others enjoyed the soap opera around this team for years.... my turn to enjoy it now.    I will say this... the players do believe in Hurts...  but I will also say... those same players opinions carry zero weight for me.. none of them are proven to do squat at this level.  Right now Hurts is on the same level as all of those guys that believe in him... ALL of them need to prove they belong in this league.   If it were a group of established NFL players that believe in Hurts... then it's a different story.    I think what Kelce does will be very telling.  If he comes back and puts in all the work... that will hold more weight to me than all of the other guys combined.  Including Miles Sanders who has a lot to prove to me that he is a professional player who can be in physical condition to carry a load, block and catch passes.. not just run through holes that another RB could do the same.  

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I think it overhyped honestly think the players will support whoever is behind center. 

Don't underestimate the cultural aspect of Hurts within this particular team dynamic.  Especially at this time.    Part of the reason I have been saying Kaepernick was an issue to bring in the locker room as a backup.  Part of why I think Howie had his head up his arse about making the move.   You see it in a way where people think Hurts is better than you do... look at all the passes he gets for pathetic play ...and the spin.   Collinsworth couldn't talk him up enough during a 7 for 20 night.  " I knew Hurts could run AL, but I'm so impressed with the improvement to his passing"     How bad was it to improve to the level we saw the last game?????   Greg Ward's comments about not being given the opportunity to play QB and living vicariously through Hurts.  It absolutely comes into play here as far as the players.... but for Howie, I'm with you, it won't matter at all.  If he likes a guy, they will take him. 

I still see a trade back because I don't think they want to take an OL that high.   Looking at the team, there is a lot of young players on the OL... DL to me seems more of a position that they would look to get... 4 years since drafting one with their firs pick... don't think it's ever been that long since Lurie took over the team.  There history ... QB, OL, DL, CB and WR with first round picks.  I think everything is on the table ...except for Parsons... for this reason.   If Howie can trade back to get one of these, for sure.  And I agree, if they go QB, it's because they really like the guy.... and to me, doesn't even have to be consensus guy that would be available.... could be 6th highest rated by most people, but if he is their guy... boom!  

16 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Lmao I don’t see it keep hearing all these claims of 3-4 QBs going before 6 I don’t see it as likely. 
Lawernce locked in should be 1... After that I see ATL as a huge maybe that’s it.... At best I say 2 QBs are gone by 6 wouldn’t shock me in the least if it’s only Lawrence 

I didn't say 3 would go before 6. I said I highly doubt any team would have 3 QBS ranked above any other position. I do strongly believe 2 will go before 6 though. So do the Eagles have 3 QBS ranked above Pitts, Chase and Sewell? I do not think they will draft another OT at 6 so my feeling is they go Pitts if he is on the board. You have a different opinion and that is fine. I get that Eagles never seem to do the smart thing when it comes to the draft. I just keep hoping they will finally get it right......by taking the best player when they make their pick. They are getting rid of Ertz so TE is a Position of need. Maybe they like a CB or a D-Lineman (if they move back). I personally feel that there is not more than 2 QB's worth taking at 6. I don't know enough to be certain so maybe I am wrong, but if 2 are taken before them at 6 I doubt they grab a third. It happened last year so not out of the question. Just not something that happens often.

17 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Have to consider teams like Carolina that need a QB and may not cost as much to move up (since they are picking 8th).  They could fear we are going to take a QB and want to leapfrog us ... it would only cost a 3 and a 4 to move up to 5.  Or they could roll the dice and hope their guy falls to them.  But it wouldn't be a complete surprise if 3 go before us.  

17 hours ago, stine said:

Or he'll draft a DL like Paye who is more a 15-20 level talent and still have us shaking our  head.  

Archived