Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Kyle Rudolph released (or to be released).  Wonder if Indy or Seattle grabs him since it won't cost a draft pick to get him.   

TE is a real position of need and I was told only like 3 solid prospects in this year's draft. So I imagine allot of teams will go after Kyle. Does not matter too much for Ertz as there are plenty of teams that still need one, including us!

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, stine said:

TE is a real position of need and I was told only like 3 solid prospects in this year's draft. So I imagine allot of teams will go after Kyle. Does not matter too much for Ertz as there are plenty of teams that still need one, including us!

I'd be OK with them bringing back Rodgers for another season - he looked pretty good with expanded time last season.  

It's probably a safe assumption that other TEs are going to be released as teams try to get under the cap by March 17th.  There will be options available for other teams to land a TE - unless one of them has a real chub for Ertz.  We shall see.  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'd be OK with them bringing back Rodgers for another season - he looked pretty good with expanded time last season.  

It's probably a safe assumption that other TEs are going to be released as teams try to get under the cap by March 17th.  There will be options available for other teams to land a TE - unless one of them has a real chub for Ertz.  We shall see.  

Projecting what the Eagles' free agents will make in free agency, and their compensatory pick values | PhillyVoice

This article talks about Ertz vs. Rodgers.

It also makes a point about Mills in that he probably will get signed to a halfway decent deal by another team, which may qualify for a comp draft pick. So it makes even more sense to let him go.

• I guess it depends if they need a stop gap or a solid starter...... Ertz was hurt last year which will most likely decrease his value, but how much? Who out there as a FA has as much to offer? Rudolph is good, but there are not that many that I know of going on the market. I can name at least 8 teams that need a starter at TE.
  • Besides us there is Arizona, Carolina, Cincinnati, New Orleans, LA Chargers, Seattle and Indy. Pittsburgh has been rumored to be looking at TE also. Ne always is looking for TE's. Houston and Jacksonville could also use one.... Anyway, from what I gather, there are a total of 3 TE's projected to go in the first three rounds. This tells me that there should be allot of interest in Ertz. Now, do all take a back seat and play the waiting game knowing there are going to be allot of competition? Or do they spend a 4th round pick and get the inside track of guarantying him for 3 years or more?
  •    I don't know. Anyone who says they do are just speculating.

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Adam Caplan has said a few times that the Eagles will begin playing a defense similar to the Vikings, which means about 30 percent man and 70 percent zone.

Here is a good article about their defense.

How the Vikings Play Defense - Part I - Daily Norseman

The Vikings obviously had a pretty talented back 7 that made their defense work, but it also relied heavily on pre-snap disguise and movement, and the fact that their linebackers could be effective on the blitz. So it's a scheme that should benefit a guy like Genard Avery, as it keeps him largely out of man to man opportunities, and it takes advantage of his rushing skills.

I also think Maddox, Epps and Wallace will do all right as safeties/slot corner in this scheme. I like Epps and Maddox as safeties, and Wallace as the slot. Obviously an upgrade at safety would be nice, but those guys should be able to hold down the fort initially. The biggest need is a corner opposite of Slay, but I am sure we will find one in the draft.

My guess is that the defense will get a lot better if we incorporate the Vikings concepts that Schwartz refused to use, namely pre snap disguise, alternating between cover 1, cover 2 and cover 3. We should also see an improvement with guys playing positions they can actually play (Avery, Maddox) and with some infusion of new talent through the draft.

This would mean that the Eagles would need solid LB's. No?

Just now, stine said:

This would mean that the Eagles would need solid LB's. No?

I think the Eagles should definitely draft a LB within the first three rounds this year. If that player works out (Jabril Cox), and Davion Taylor turns into something, fantastic. Or if Avery really shines in this new defense and in his new role, that would help.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need a top receiver in round one, and could trade back and draft a corner like Farley at 9, and then a LB like Bolton in the second. But Cox should be around in the third.

Dawkins does a mailbag every week which is pretty good.

Eagles Mailbag: How far would you trade down in the first round? - Bleeding Green Nation

We could be of the same mind when it comes to the draft. Playmaker at WR/TE in round 1, then defense with the next three picks. He mentions Asante Jr., Trill Williams from Syracuse and Cox, which would be great with me.

Chris Simms just released his qb rankings.

Chris Simms on Twitter: "My 2021 Draft QB Rankings. Taping the podcast soon with full breakdown/explanation. https://t.co/dkzlcKeZEJ" / Twitter

He has the order Wilson, Lawrence, Jones, Mond, Fields, Lance.

One thing to note is that he has been pretty good at ranking QBs over the last few drafts. He somewhat missed with Rosen and Drew Lock, but he correctly had Herbert over Tua and Mayfield over Darnold.

It will be interesting to see how mock drafts change over the next few weeks.

The fact he has Fields at #5 scares me. I certainly hope the Eagles do not draft him. I see a project in the making regarding him. Interesting he had Love ranked 3rd last year and the Packers drafted him late 1st round. This guy is sitting in the perfect spot. Learn for 3 years than maybe either start or get traded.....

23 minutes ago, stine said:

The fact he has Fields at #5 scares me. I certainly hope the Eagles do not draft him. I see a project in the making regarding him. Interesting he had Love ranked 3rd last year and the Packers drafted him late 1st round. This guy is sitting in the perfect spot. Learn for 3 years than maybe either start or get traded.....

I do have a gut feeling that if neither the Jets nor Falcons draft him, someone will trade up for Fields.  Heck it could even be with us.  If Carolina offered us a package that would be stupid to refuse, I'd move back 2 spots (especially if both Chase and Pitts are still on the board when our pick rolls around).  I'd add Parsons to that list but I don't think Howie would go LB.  

3 hours ago, stine said:

Here is what I have been reading for the most part about Ertz...

For the crowd that is sure to say, "Why wouldn’t Indianapolis just wait for Ertz to be released and then sign him?”, that’s a valid question. However, that brings a lot of other factors into the mix. Other teams could swoop in and grab him whereas a trade would ensure the Colts would be able to upgrade at tight end, something they’ve clearly wanted to do.

Same could be said about any team that clearly needs a TE, a position that is not big on talent this year in the draft.

Pats

I think the Eagles should definitely draft a LB within the first three rounds this year. If that player works out (Jabril Cox), and Davion Taylor turns into something, fantastic. Or if Avery really shines in this new defense and in his new role, that would help.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need a top receiver in round one, and could trade back and draft a corner like Farley at 9, and then a LB like Bolton in the second. But Cox should be around in the third.

LOL see my mock haters!!!!!

This is a pretty good podcast with Qintin Mikell and Jason Avant.

Jalen Hurts More Fit To Be QB1 In Philly Than Carson? | "Q&A" With Quintin Mikell & Jason Avant" - YouTube

Some highlights:

They agreed the Eagles have hung on to too many guys after winning the Super Bowl. Avant told a funny story about Trotter, and how he was getting abused toward the end of his career, and they decided to cut him. They told him that he was going to be released near the end of training camp, and he apparently took out his frustration on Thomas Tapeh during a walk through by just leveling him.

Avant is pretty high on Hurts. He said that during training camp, he was seeing things happening on the field and was able to quickly read coverages and find open guys. My feeling based on what others have written and whet Avant said is that Wentz would always tend to look for certain guys (Ertz) when he had trouble with coverages, knowing he would get open. But Jalen has better spacial awareness.

It was an interesting show. Both Mikell and Avant stayed in the league due to their understanding of the game rather than athletic ability, so they have some unique insights. 

Eagles Mailbag: How far would you trade down in the first round? - Bleeding Green Nation

We could be of the same mind when it comes to the draft. Playmaker at WR/TE in round 1, then defense with the next three picks. He mentions Asante Jr., Trill Williams from Syracuse and Cox, which would be great with me.

See my mock haters!!! I will wait for y'all to come around lol

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Chris Simms just released his qb rankings.

Chris Simms on Twitter: "My 2021 Draft QB Rankings. Taping the podcast soon with full breakdown/explanation. https://t.co/dkzlcKeZEJ" / Twitter

He has the order Wilson, Lawrence, Jones, Mond, Fields, Lance.

One thing to note is that he has been pretty good at ranking QBs over the last few drafts. He somewhat missed with Rosen and Drew Lock, but he correctly had Herbert over Tua and Mayfield over Darnold.

It will be interesting to see how mock drafts change over the next few weeks.

SImms 🤣. I'm gonna find Favre, Montana and Manning and ask those guys(SImms LMAO)

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

He somewhat missed with Rosen and Drew Lock, but he correctly had Herbert over Tua and Mayfield over Darnold.

Everyone gets lucky sometimes. I'm not thinking Simms is a QB guru however. He is going to miss again calling Wilson over Lawrence, then again I am just an old man who knows nothing. Let's also remember Tua will get more weapons,maybe Sewell to protect his back side. Mayfield had alot of those pieces in place already,so for you to say "Simms called it" is a bit premature IMO

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I do have a gut feeling that if neither the Jets nor Falcons draft him, someone will trade up for Fields.  Heck it could even be with us.  If Carolina offered us a package that would be stupid to refuse, I'd move back 2 spots (especially if both Chase and Pitts are still on the board when our pick rolls around).  I'd add Parsons to that list but I don't think Howie would go LB.  

Could net us a 3rd, but we would probably have to put in a 5th or 6th to make that happen. Still a good deal to just move back a couple spots...

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Everyone gets lucky sometimes. I'm not thinking Simms is a QB guru however. He is going to miss again calling Wilson over Lawrence, then again I am just an old man who knows nothing. Let's also remember Tua will get more weapons,maybe Sewell to protect his back side. Mayfield had alot of those pieces in place already,so for you to say "Simms called it" is a bit premature IMO

agreed. You need to wait 3-4 years before making any sort of call. Tua only played part of 1 to date...

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Could net us a 3rd, but we would probably have to put in a 5th or 6th to make that happen. Still a good deal to just move back a couple spots...

Not me, I want Pitts,moving back drops him into the lap of Detroit, who as JSB pointed out had better pro day numbers than Calvin. TE? No he is a TE/WR all in one package

Well, Detroit picks after the Eagles, so they do not need a TE. If both Chase and Pitts is there, Detroit would most likely take Chase. That would leave Pitts there and we add a 3rd pick to the pool....

I am going forward on the PRESUMPTION Hurts is our QB. Noone is expecting a SB this year,but we can get some players in here and at least put a respectable team on field, not the BS we saw last year(and we still managed to win 4 games somehow)

6 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, Detroit picks after the Eagles, so they do not need a TE. If both Chase and Pitts is there, Detroit would most likely take Chase. That would leave Pitts there and we add a 3rd pick to the pool....

If Detroit passed on Pitts,they are dumber than we are. JMO. The Lions wouldn't love a guy that could give them 2 TE sets plus

play him outside also?. This guy is 1 man offensive MOB. he will be in play also if the Jets are stupid enough to pass on a QB at #2, but I'm fairly certain he would make Darnold look good

8 minutes ago, stine said:

Interestingly,this is pretty much the last mock I laid out(you haters) lol. I am higher on Pitts than him as I feel with this deep class,there is no need to take a round 1 WR. I laid out 2 suitable WR's in round FIVE,and I'm sure there are more there. I would not trade down,no reason to do it. Adding another pick is always great, but 1 pick is not going to make or break you.More important is to nail the picks you HAVE in my view. That's where Howie fails  alot of times

Detroit has Hockenson and Hunter Bryant. Bryant was considered one of the best TE's last year but an injury pushed him way back. He caught for over 1200 yards and 5 TD's his last year in college before getting hurt. Hockenson is a solid TE. They need WR's more so Chase would most likely be the choice. My opinion...

BTW, you don't see a talent like Pitts but once every 5-6 years

Archived