Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

GB, we are talking Howie Roseman here..... Don't get too caught up in Pitts. lol

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stine said:

Detroit has Hockenson and Hunter Bryant. Bryant was considered one of the best TE's last year but an injury pushed him way back. He caught for over 1200 yards and 5 TD's his last year in college before getting hurt. Hockenson is a solid TE. They need WR's more so Chase would most likely be the choice. My opinion...

Pitts outran Calvins times on his pro day workout. How much did they like Calvin in Detroit? Now you wont draft someone better? makes no sense.Take Pitts,trade 1 off(like we should do with Ertz) Lions could take Pitts and STILL get a top flight WR in round 2 or about anywhere else. Say Pitts/ Bateman? That would work fine if I was Detroit

2 minutes ago, stine said:

GB, we are talking Howie Roseman here..... Don't get too caught up in Pitts. lol

yeah I know,sometimes I want to take Howie behind the woodshed lol

6 minutes ago, stine said:

You are right Stine, who is the #1 kicker? lol

I also read Siri wants/likes to use more TE sets in his offense. Seems likely Ertz goes away. I think that's a given ,we just don;t know HOW he departs here. Like Goedert fine, but adding Pitts sure turns up the heat on defenses trying to cover them both as he can be played anywhere on the field. SO adding all these little pieces together, Pitts is my "perfect pick". Lets recall last year when I was high on JJ because he could play in/ out. Pitts can not only do that,but play TE as well. hard for me to turn down that kind of weapon. Like I said just an old mans op

Pitts is absolutely the right pick at 6 for this team. Just too much talent and versatility to pass on him. Especially with Ertz leaving.  

25 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I also read Siri wants/likes to use more TE sets in his offense. Seems likely Ertz goes away. I think that's a given ,we just don;t know HOW he departs here. Like Goedert fine, but adding Pitts sure turns up the heat on defenses trying to cover them both as he can be played anywhere on the field. SO adding all these little pieces together, Pitts is my "perfect pick". Lets recall last year when I was high on JJ because he could play in/ out. Pitts can not only do that,but play TE as well. hard for me to turn down that kind of weapon. Like I said just an old mans op

God could you imagine if Howie would have made the smart move last year and took JJ and then we added Pitts this year???  :drool:

I absolutely despise the thought of having that man in charge of our drafts.

9 minutes ago, What The F said:

Pitts is absolutely the right pick at 6 for this team. Just too much talent and versatility to pass on him. Especially with Ertz leaving.  

Not too many disagree!  I would be satisfied if HR just picked someone who makes the pro bowl!  ANYONE! Pits seems the best choice though

6 minutes ago, What The F said:

I am starting to agree. He solves two problems (depth at TE, #1 wr) with one pick, so it makes a lot of sense to take him.

38 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I am starting to agree. He solves two problems (depth at TE, #1 wr) with one pick, so it makes a lot of sense to take him.

So, look at the rest of my mock too lol. I knew you guys would come around. Ham actually called him before me, but I am convinced

42 minutes ago, time2rock said:

God could you imagine if Howie would have made the smart move last year and took JJ and then we added Pitts this year???  :drool:

I absolutely despise the thought of having that man in charge of our drafts.

Oh man, that would be beyond awesome. Need to get that O line to stay on the field in the same order though lol. 14 combos in 16 games isnt gonna work

So I had JJ last year and Pitts this year, Ham wanted Reagor(and got him) and maybe Pitts this year. I think we need to roll with Hurts,suck next year,but not as badly lol,then who knows? We need to HIT on these first four picks. IMO that is imperative. IDK that I trust Howie to do it

50 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Oh man, that would be beyond awesome. Need to get that O line to stay on the field in the same order though lol. 14 combos in 16 games isnt gonna work

That was related to injuries (which impacted other position groups too, not just OL).  They need to get the injury thing figured out ... and under control.  At least we have a couple young players that got some valuable PT last year and looked decent that should only get better.  

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right, so he is still tradeable(right now) which is what I said

TY is a free agent. The Colts can't trade him!

8 hours ago, stine said:

75%? You pick that number out of thin air? I mean I have read allot of articles and Seattle is desperate for a TE. Colts are losing a couple to FA. Both need one. Ertz may have had a bad year, but if you were a GM for either of those teams, you would love to have the upper hand working out a contract to keep him for 3 years. You sure it isn't 50%? What about 40%..? I love how people put an arbitrary percentage on something happening and expect others to believe it as fact.

The league knows the Eagles have to get under the cap in 2 weeks.  They can talk to Ertz and see "his" interest.   If it's there, what leverage do the Eagles have? Are they going to tell the team Ertz was talking to that if they do make an offer, we are going to trade him to another team?   Why would the other team trade anything knowing Ertz would want to play for the other team?   

I was being generous at 75%.  But I use that number. 50% he gets cut.  The 50% that teams will want to trade for him.... I'm giving that half.... half a chance that a trade gets worked out.   So half of a half...there is your 25%

I don't disagree teams want Ertz... I'm saying the Eagles have no leverage to ask for anything when it's this close to the deadline that they need to cut his salary. 

4 hours ago, jsb235 said:

This is a pretty good podcast with Qintin Mikell and Jason Avant.

Jalen Hurts More Fit To Be QB1 In Philly Than Carson? | "Q&A" With Quintin Mikell & Jason Avant" - YouTube

Some highlights:

They agreed the Eagles have hung on to too many guys after winning the Super Bowl. Avant told a funny story about Trotter, and how he was getting abused toward the end of his career, and they decided to cut him. They told him that he was going to be released near the end of training camp, and he apparently took out his frustration on Thomas Tapeh during a walk through by just leveling him.

Avant is pretty high on Hurts. He said that during training camp, he was seeing things happening on the field and was able to quickly read coverages and find open guys. My feeling based on what others have written and whet Avant said is that Wentz would always tend to look for certain guys (Ertz) when he had trouble with coverages, knowing he would get open. But Jalen has better spacial awareness.

It was an interesting show. Both Mikell and Avant stayed in the league due to their understanding of the game rather than athletic ability, so they have some unique insights. 

Will be interesting to see things play out this 2021 season.  I think it will open a lot of eyes. 

Gnats got rid of 2 LB's already Ogletree and now mayo. Wr-Tate gone also. I bet they are targeting Parsons lol

7 hours ago, stine said:

I will, because I am right. I can't help Howie is clueless

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

TY is a free agent. The Colts can't trade him!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ty-hilton-seems-to-signal-he-will-be-leaving-colts-in-free-agency/ar-BB1e82jW    Nope, same as Ertz lol. He will be soon and it seems they will let him walk like we will Ertz  Or we can make a trade now and avoid them both being FA's(as I said before). I'm sure Wentz would love to have his fav target and getting TY(who our new coach knows well and knows how to use him) and drafting Pitts with Reagor would most certainly help our offense

SO, I trade Ertz for TY before they both are FA's. Pick up Marlon Mack and Hooker. With Pitts and the rest of my mock, we wouldn't be in too bad of shape

Receivers(aka pass catchers doing this) Hilton, Reagor, Pitts, Goedert, Ward, Fulgham, Jjaw/Hightower. RB's- Sanders ,Mack, Scott(pick your BU's and /or draftee). Now the pressure is REALLY off to draft a WR and my round 5 picks(Shi Smith or Grimes) fit right in. Tell Howie to email me. I got this. Offense doesn't look so bad now does it?

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ty-hilton-seems-to-signal-he-will-be-leaving-colts-in-free-agency/ar-BB1e82jW    Nope, same as Ertz lol. He will be soon and it seems they will let him walk like we will Ertz  Or we can make a trade now and avoid them both being FA's(as I said before). I'm sure Wentz would love to have his fav target and getting TY(who our new coach knows well and knows how to use him) and drafting Pitts with Reagor would most certainly help our offense

Hilton is going to be a FA as of March 17th ... he can’t be traded because the trade deadline passed (Nov 2020).  Ertz is still under contract for the 2021 season (final year of his current contract). ;)

33 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Tell Howie to email me. I got this.

Well, except for your inability to understand how free agency works.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Hilton is going to be a FA as of March 17th ... he can’t be traded because the trade deadline passed (Nov 2020).  Ertz is still under contract for the 2021 season (final year of his current contract). ;)

OK got it.

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Well, except for your inability to understand how free agency works.

Not a contract guy sorry to bother you. I will be off the board while, so that should make you happy.TC all

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Ok... Ertz is not a free agent.  The Eagles have his rights for 2021.  If the Eagles choose to keep Ertz, they can.  

The Colts do not own TY for 2021... he is s free agent.  So the Colts cannot trade TY right now.  Just like we can't trade Jalen Mills or any other player whose contract doesn't go past 2020.  

However,  at this point players like TY and Mills can only "sign" with their teams that they played for last year.  Those teams cannot offer them in trades.  Like we can with Ertz.

One thought on the Eagles QB situation and the draft.

The team should absolutely know what they have in Jalen Hurts. While our offensive coaching staff is new, the QB coach has known Hurts since he was a child, and so he should have a lot of knowledge of Hurts' game. He also coached Dak for his college career, so he should know what it takes to be a starting qb in the league. Plus, we presumably have people from our scouting department watching our own players to see how they have developed who have a year of practice time and four games in which to form an opinion on him.

So I am confident the team has some idea of how good or bad he is, and how we should approach the position in relation to the draft. If they don't get their evaluation right of Hurts, it raises a lot of questions in how the team functions at a pretty basic level. There have been a lot of whiffs in recent years - Gerry at LB and Maddox at corner to name two - that makes me wonder if our coaching staff even knows what's happening in front of them at practice. And that's a serious problem.

Hopefully our new regime won't suffer from the same issues.   

Archived