EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

They signed him to be a TE more than two months ago; I can’t imagine it never came up in conversation whether they wanted him to bulk up or slim down.  Didn’t he get with their S&C coaches?

Joe Judge seems like a head coach straight out of 1978

The amazing thing is that he was almost 270 playing WR in Carolina. Lol

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This was an exchange in DGunns tweet. More smoke to the fire. 

We're going to go from 3 1st round picks to none with a quarterback who get suspended and an aging defense with more guys on 1-year deals.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No.  I am not missing the point.  I have a different stance.  

1 - It is a personal choice.  

2 - The laypeople of the population don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to this vaccine, so talking to a teammate about it would be about as dumb as asking someone on the EMB... actually worse, as there are actually some doctors on the EMB.

3 - If a player has a question about the vaccine, the question should be directed to the team physician, the players' union to talk to their doctors, etc.  

You liked Graham's answer.  It was fine. It was different from Wentz', but apparently, everyone really is just worried about whether or not Wentz is vaccinated because of the draft pick... so the fact that he didn't definitively answer "YES" has people bent out of shape.   

Wentz's answer is pro-personal choice.  He basically told everyone, "it's not your business."   And newsflash folks, he's right.  It's none of everyone else's business.  It is between him, his wife, his kid(s) and his doctor, whether or not he gets vaccinated.  He is responsible for telling the team, and then acting accordingly.  But, since teams haven't put out a list of vaccinated and unvaccinated players, it seems that its not really something that the NFL and/or NFLPA wants out there either.  

See, you are talking about vaccine choice and I am talking about how Graham leads.   That is such an intangible and I think he has that ability.  He gives personable answers.  I think he is a main leader in the locker room because of the way he addresses people.   He just seems to be an Everyman sort that people gravitate to.  

But to address your points about the vaccine:

1.  It can be a selfish choice as I see it.   It’s that thinking that it is my choice if I get sick, the same sort of thinking that mask wearing is only about your own comfort and your own protection.  What happened to caring as much or more about others than yourself? That’s my favorite parts of the Bible, the Quran, Tai Chi, etc.  We wiped out smallpox and damn near wiped out polio.  Measles were a real thing when I was younger and we still get outbreaks because some choose not to be vaccinated.  We have about 30k people die each year because of the flu and part of that goes towards not getting the flu shot. Graham personalized that by showing care (doing it for his wife and kids) for others.  Care for others is leadership, not dancing on the head of a pin. 
2.  Friends and colleagues are going to talk about things like decisions to get or not get the vaccine, just like a lot of decisions in life.   Did you have any side effects?   Which shot did you get?  We did a lot of that here when shots became available.  You conveyed your experience , I did too.    Personal experience not, I heard on Facebook type things. I think most appreciated that.  Personal experience matters.  That is what Nick was talking about when he talked about Ertz.                                   3.  Of course, you should consult physicians about medical decisions (or nurses, some of the most honest responses I have received were from nurses.). 

As to it being solely between him, his family and doctor.  That’s not fitting with his role and is selfish. The NFL has stated that games cancelled because of unvaccinated player outbreaks cost all players their game salary.  They have a stake in the protocols, rules and vaccines. It is truly a team thing and Carson’s answer was a "me” answer.  Graham gave a "we” answer. There are players and coaches that are immune compromised.  It is important to them.  (My best work friend, and one of my better friends, is a cancer survivor and is on one kidney.  Frankly, I would get a vaccine just to be around him and I mask up when I see him.). Think Ravens fans don’t give a crap that there starting QB is infected.  I care that our best (not a high bar) LB tested positive. And as an Eagles fan very interested in whether Carson plays 75% of offensive snaps, I care.  But I also think of that young daughter, who cannot get vaccinated too.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

We're going to go from 3 1st round picks to none with a quarterback who get suspended and an aging defense with more guys on 1-year deals.

Also in the thread 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This was an exchange in DGunns tweet. More smoke to the fire. 

I still ask the question who had Hurts on their wish list in that draft room.  We know Weidl was huge on him because he spent time scouting him and speaking with him at OU.

It always seemed to me that Doug was the other voice that wanted him — yet he used him as though he was being forced to put him on the field from Week 1 to 12.

Howie OTOH should be 110% committed to Hurts, yet his actions behind the scenes (allegedly) say the opposite.  He did pass on drafting Fields and Mac Jones, so that says something.  We keep hearing this narrative though that "the decision makers in the building don’t believe in him”

They spent a 2nd round pick on the guy.  At least play it out for a season.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Also in the thread 

They can ask all they want, but the price is coming down, and they don’t have a ton of leverage. Watson was playing scout team safety today. Everyone knows he’s done there. They’re not getting the rumored asking price with Watson’s character (at best) tarnished. 

I wish this team had just one uneventful training camp when it came to the QB position, hey eagles front office can you please

image.gif

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

They can ask all they want, but the price is coming down, and they don’t have a ton of leverage. Watson was playing scout team safety today. Everyone knows he’s done there. They’re not getting the rumored asking price with Watson’s character (at best) tarnished. 

It’s a pretty interesting scenario though. Maybe they decided they will just hold on to him until his legal issues are resolved, suspension is known and they can get the best return? They could just pay him to do nothing. I don’t know it’s the best strategy but it is the Texans 

14 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I still ask the question who had Hurts on their wish list in that draft room.  We know Weidl was huge on him because he spent time scouting him and speaking with him at OU.

It always seemed to me that Doug was the other voice that wanted him — yet he used him as though he was being forced to put him on the field from Week 1 to 12.

Howie OTOH should be 110% committed to Hurts, yet his actions behind the scenes (allegedly) say the opposite.  He did pass on drafting Fields and Mac Jones, so that says something.  We keep hearing this narrative though that "the decision makers in the building don’t believe in him”

Yea, it’s confusing. It seems like no one wanted him that badly so not sure why they were so aggressive using a 2nd round pick unless they literally only thought of him as being a backup his entire career 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’d be willing bet, someone other than Hurts will start at least one game this year.  Whether it’s Flacco, Mullens or Watson.  If we never trade for Watson, I’d bet Flacco or Mullens starts at least one game.  

If Hurts keeps running to contact it’s almost a given he’ll miss at least a couple of games over the 17.  If Flacco needs to start games ala Fitzpatrick last season for Tua that will be the sign the decision is made on QB for 2022.

Speaking of Tua, I still believe Watson is destined to end up with the Dolphins 

My early TC prediction is Josh Sweat takes over starting spot from Derek Barnett. 

5 hours ago, BigEFly said:

No, it is leadership.   Identifying and cultivating leaders was part of my job.   

What are you Gandalf or the monkey in Lion King?

36 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

So obvious it was Lurie

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Can't believe I'm defending Joe freaking Judge, but Benjamin looks like a moron here. If the team tells you to come to camp at 251 lbs, you don't show up to camp at 268, no matter how in shape you think you are. Pretty basic.

4 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Can't believe I'm defending Joe freaking Judge, but Benjamin looks like a moron here. If the team tell you to come to camp at 251 lbs, you don't show up to camp at 268, no matter how in shape you think you are. Pretty basic.

Yup. That was a wild interview. 

18 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

My early TC prediction is Josh Sweat takes over starting spot from Derek Barnett. 

That's one note today that I found the most interesting.  Sweat was lining up with the starters.  For allll of the talk about his kneed not being able to hold up as a starter to him tweeting last week about it I really like hearing this.  

Two things to take from it.  

1.  Sweat is the more disruptive DE when compared to Barnett.  Having him on the field more should equal more big plays.

2.  If Barnett isn't starting it could cut his salary down.  I don't want him getting a 4-year $40 million like Sam Hubbard got.  I'd be happy having him back at $30 million as a back-up/rotational end.  Still horrible return for a 1st round draft pick but whatever at this point.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

The chances of Howie bungling those 3 picks is higher than 50%. You trade for Watson, figure out the rest later.

34 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

See, you are talking about vaccine choice and I am talking about how Graham leads.   That is such an intangible and I think he has that ability.  He gives personable answers.  I think he is a main leader in the locker room because of the way he addresses people.   He just seems to be an Everyman sort that people gravitate to.  

1 - The most recent small pox vaccine was tested for 3 years before it went out to the public.   https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00046397   
How long were these vaccines tested?  Has it even reached a year yet for any of them?   No.  And so building the case that this is the same as small pox or polio or any other disease we've gotten vaccinations for is a false equivalency.  There's not been the level of testing for an extended period of time that has been done with those other vaccines.  Apples... oranges. 

2 - Of course people talk, but I'd never base a major decision on the discussions had here, with my colleagues, etc.   That's just silliness. 

3 - Yes, it is smart to consult the medical professionals on this topic.

Carson did not give a 'me' answer.  He gave a: "Its not your business" answer to the press.  And guess what:  That's his right.  And it is rather selfish to pretend that he owes it to any one to share his status if he doesn't want to.  Reports came out months ago that he was vaccinated.  So, you can either believe those reports, or you can infer whatever you want from what he said today.  But, what I heard was that he wasn't going to paint those who chose not to be vaccinated as the bad guy.  If you want to do that, BigE, go for it.  But, he chose not to.  

BTW... that small pox vaccine I mentioned... https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16476643/.  The health care workers it was designed for didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to get it either.  Hard to hold the public at large to a higher standard than the health care professionals when it comes to vaccines.  

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's one note today that I found the most interesting.  Sweat was lining up with the starters.  For allll of the talk about his kneed not being able to hold up as a starter to him tweeting last week about it I really like hearing this.  

1.  Sweat is the more disruptive DE when compared to Barnett.  Having him on the field more should equal more big plays.

2.  If Barnett isn't starting it could cut his salary down.  I don't want him getting a 4-year $40 million like Sam Hubbard got.  I'd be happy having him back at $30 million as a back-up/rotational end.  Still horrible return for a 1st round draft pick but whatever at this point.

I share your opinion of Barnett, but let's keep in mind he's one of the best first round draft picks Howie has ever made.

35 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, it’s confusing. It seems like no one wanted him that badly so not sure why they were so aggressive using a 2nd round pick unless they literally only thought of him as being a backup his entire career 

Yeah I don't get it, why spend a 2nd round pick on just a backup.

I guess if one feels hurts would be better than any of the guys in the market they could trade for or guys on the street it makes a bit of sense but how much does one prioritize a backup QB over a potential starter at another position, like say Safety???

Just seems like a poor allocation of resources.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I wouldn’t count on #2. Barnett seems destined to test FA before signing a cheap backup/rotational deal. 

One of 3 things must be true with the relationship between Hurts and the Eagles:

1.  The people who wanted to draft him are now gone.

2.  The people who wanted to draft him are still here, but are profoundly disappointed in what they've seen and no longer have expectations for him.

3.  Every report about the Eagles trying to keep Wentz this offseason, trying to trade for Watson pre-draft/pre-assault, trying to trade up for a QB in the draft, and trying to trade for Watson now...is false.

You don't stick your neck out there and shake the foundations of your franchise by drafting someone like that...and then look for every possible way out of it before week 1 in his second year.  

21 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yup. That was a wild interview. 

Benjamin has a point though if he played at WR at 270 and almost had 1000 yards why would one ask him to play TE at a lighter weight than he played WR.

Sounds like some pretty stupid thinking by judge.

Play stupid games get stupid prizes.

I've never been a fan of Benjamin but I think he's got a point here, if he showed up in shape and passed his tests who cares how much he weighs especially since they didn't even give him a chance at that weight to see what he could do before they cut him 

Clown show but the Giants have been a clown show for a minute now.

Seems to be a running theme in the NFCE to see which franchise can be the most dysfunctional.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I wouldn’t count on #2. Barnett seems destined to test FA before signing a cheap backup/rotational deal. 

Barnett is not disruptive, but he generates effort pressure over time and maintains a tenacious motor in all aspects of the game.  He exceeds his fair share of bone-headed penalties and struggles to stay healthy.

He's pretty young for his draft year...he really has no upside at this point, but his young age makes it less likely that he'll decline over the length of his next contract.  So that may give him a leg up on some other FA DE's.

Some team with more cap space than us might throw a bit of money at him to plug a hole.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Benjamin has a pi t through if he played at WR at 270 and almost had 1000 yards why would one ask him to play TE at a lighter weight than he played WR.

Sounds like some pretty stupid thinking by judge.

Play stupid games get stupid prizes.

I've never been a fan of Benjamin but I think he's got a point here, if he showed up in shape and passed his tests who cares how much he weighs especially since they didn't even give him a chance at that weight to see what he could do before they cut him 

Clown show but the Giants have been a clown show for a minute now.

Seems to be a running theme in the NFCE to see which franchise can be the most dysfunctional.

Dak didn’t throw today in team drills because his shoulder hurt.  Maybe my imagination, but watching him walk his gait did not look even.  It’ll be interesting to see what kind of season he has.

Archived