EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

40 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Weed was illegal. But alcohol is legal. They can both cause impairments on the job.  It really shouldn't be compared to vaccinations, as they aren't even close to the same thing.

No but it does show that employers can legally implement steps to screen for things they think could effect their bottom line.

If alcohol didn't exit the blood stream so quickly I'm sure businesses would have zero problem screening for that as well, marijuana is easy to screen for as it stays in ones system for days.

An employer could use the same justifications to mandate vaccines for eligiblity for employment, 

Though I'm not sure the legal ramifications at this time, though it seems some states are working to wards legislation to make it legal, which I have zero problem with.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, greend said:

"got past Steven Nelson".

Only the names have changed

Except this time the receiver should be flying by the DB, including Slay.  Smith is one of a kind.

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Trading Barnett for peanuts and a bit of cap relief is a message that the Eagles aren't looking to win in 2021.  Granted, I don't think they are capable of it, but I just don't see them making that move.  Ertz being moved would be in line with moving on from expensive players who want out.  So, that sends a different message.  

In all though, I'd love to free up the cap space by moving both Ertz and Barnett... and help to deal with some of the dead money that has already been accumulated on the 2022 cap.  As for return... 2 mid-level picks would be fine by me.  But, if they are dealing Barnett for a 6th, I'd hope that they don't eat any salary on the backend.  I'd even trade him for a 2023 6th if it means that they get free of that cap number.   

All in all, I see 2021 as a season to learn about Hurts and not hurt the cap any worse.  I don't see them winning more than about 6 games, and I don't see Ertz as a big contributor to Hurts' development.  I guess it depends on if they will run a lot of 12 personnel or not.  Otherwise, he's just an expensive insurance policy for Goedert.   But I don't see the Eagles making that type of statement to the locker room by trading Barnett for very little.

I don’t think it is a statement to the locker room as much as a statement to Barnett, who may have overplayed his hand at the negotiating table.  Message is the Eagles are definitely interested in reasonable extensions based on performance.  Sweat gives them that option.  Barnett for peanuts and salary off the books makes up some of that void money Howie loaded into 2022.  

I, too, see 2021 as a lean year.  But of all the big salaries the Eagles have this year, the most easy to jettison with a trade is Barnett, not Cox.  Cox is a 2022 move.

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Catching and route running are different. Wonder how his routes look.

The Sixers supposedly asked the Spurs for four 1s, three pick swaps and a player for Simmons. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

One on ones favor the DL.

Just now, ManuManu said:

The Sixers supposedly asked the Spurs for four 1s, three pick swaps and a player for Simmons. Lol. 

So Morey is negotiating for the Sixers and the Texans?

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.jpeg.0c947a9510c044a15d53de4b4db0a9da.jpeg

Seriously why put any more time into Pryor?

The dude is useless.

9 minutes ago, justrelax said:

That's simply not true and you know it. We all want to know pretty much everything. We b!itch and moan about injuries without comment, or who made disparaging comments about whom. We parse comments endlessly. We criticize baselessly - and we all do - and question a player's heart or grit or dedication.

As far as the vaccination business goes, I don't think in this setting it is purely personal choice. We already know players who are unvaccinated and test positive will cause games to be cancelled. With tha cancellation comes the loss of game checks so my choice to forego vaccination may well cost you  and all your teammates money.

Nope. As you say 'pretty much' everything.  There is a line where we don't want to know.  Yes, this is related to potential availability, but it is also a hot button issue and has political and prejudicial implications (check the thread created by EazyEagle if you want confirmation... apparently only white, conservative, men of faith who favor gun rights don't get vaccinated). 

Well, the NFL and NFLPA left it as a personal choice... players are not required to get a vaccine in order to play this season.  So, while you may not agree with it being a personal choice, it absolutely has been made a personal choice by that arrangement.  Teams may have a preferred outcome, certainly... and teams can cut any player they wish according to the CBA for any reason they wish (or no reason at all - and at any time, as evidenced by Travis Benjamin's dismissal in the middle of practice yesterday), so it really is up to the individual and then the team has to make a decision on that player about the risk/reward.  It is an internal matter, first and foremost.  The Colts as an organization need to do what they think is best for them, and the players need to do what is best for them, after all... it is a business, isn't it?  We are reminded of that all the time.   Well, both parties need to do what they need to do.  But, they do not need to go public with it, public feuding generally never makes anyone change their mind, it just makes people more defensive in their position.

29 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Since Seumalo is out I think it would be Dickerson at LG and Herbig at RG

Dickerson would have to be activated first.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nope. As you say 'pretty much' everything.  There is a line where we don't want to know.  Yes, this is related to potential availability, but it is also a hot button issue and has political and prejudicial implications (check the thread created by EazyEagle if you want confirmation... apparently only white, conservative, men of faith who favor gun rights don't get vaccinated). 

Well, the NFL and NFLPA left it as a personal choice... players are not required to get a vaccine in order to play this season.  So, while you may not agree with it being a personal choice, it absolutely has been made a personal choice by that arrangement.  Teams may have a preferred outcome, certainly... and teams can cut any player they wish according to the CBA for any reason they wish (or no reason at all - and at any time, as evidenced by Travis Benjamin's dismissal in the middle of practice yesterday), so it really is up to the individual and then the team has to make a decision on that player about the risk/reward.  It is an internal matter, first and foremost.  The Colts as an organization need to do what they think is best for them, and the players need to do what is best for them, after all... it is a business, isn't it?  We are reminded of that all the time.   Well, both parties need to do what they need to do.  But, they do not need to go public with it, public feuding generally never makes anyone change their mind, it just makes people more defensive in their position.

So nobody wants to see the sausage made???😉

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I don’t think it is a statement to the locker room as much as a statement to Barnett, who may have overplayed his hand at the negotiating table.  Message is the Eagles are definitely interested in reasonable extensions based on performance.  Sweat gives them that option.  Barnett for peanuts and salary off the books makes up some of that void money Howie loaded into 2022.  

I, too, see 2021 as a lean year.  But of all the big salaries the Eagles have this year, the most easy to jettison with a trade is Barnett, not Cox.  Cox is a 2022 move.

Absolutely. 

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Since Seumalo is out I think it would be Dickerson at LG and Herbig at RG

Guess the coaches see Driscoll more as a tackle than a guard then???

7 minutes ago, Utebird said:

So nobody wants to see the sausage made???😉

What are you talking about?    The team works best when internal issues are left internal.  How many teams have you ever seen be successful while one half of the locker room resents the other half, and puts it out there publicly?   And personally, I don't enjoy it.  That's part of the reason I am not on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platforms.  People go there to air their dirty laundry and stir up fights.   

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

The Eagles drafted two DEs, a DT and a rush linebacker and signed a DT and DE in free agency. Paying a second level rotational DE $10 million is not cost effective. 

That is what I said.  He is overpaid, but a decent back up player.  Thanks for needlessly reiterating my assessment. 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:58 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Its not crazy, its all about preparing your body which Doug was not well and giving his team the best chance at. 

I was a player, and I can say the best way to prepare yourself for a full season is to practice hard. Prepare in practice like your playing a game. Doug ran very cupcake, soft practices. Players bodies were not prepared for contact. Same goes for running routes, playing coverage etc. If you are not practacing atleast 75% + speed your not ready to 100% in a real game. Hits, tackling etc.

Just like preseason games. I can;t stand teams that sit all their players during the preseason to avoid an injury. I was never a Reid fan but he did it right and still does it right. Wk1- 1Q, Wk2- 2Q, Wk3- 3Q. Reid still does that today. Seams the teams that play as many starters as possible in preseason make the playoffs. 

Im just Hoping Nick keeps working the players hard and getting them ready for contact. This alone can make a big difference in the injury front. 

I think it's a damned if you do damned if you don't type of deal.

Football is a rough sport and teams suffer Injuries when they've practiced with contact and suffer Injury with out alot of contact in practice.

Then one has to account for discrepancies in non contact injuries as well.

I think some of it is luck some of it is science.

Look at the eagles during Kelly's years, they were routinely at the top if not the top for least games lost to injuries.

Kelly was big into sports science from the shakes to monitoring players sleep and on paper it worked, wasn't luck or did the science make a big difference or a bit of both???

I can't remember if Kelly's camps were overly physical or soft but whatever he was doing got results as far as decreased Injuries.

Kelly had the emotional Intelligence of an autistic toddler and I wouldn't want him as a coach but I'd hire him in a hot minute to come and implement a sports science health regime for my team.

Doug not so much.

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What are you talking about?    The team works best when internal issues are left internal.  How many teams have you ever seen be successful while one half of the locker room resents the other half, and puts it out there publicly?   And personally, I don't enjoy it.  That's part of the reason I am not on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platforms.  People go there to air their dirty laundry and stir up fights.   

It's a joke, as the boards resident grumpy old man I'm not sure why I expected you to take it as such.

Carry on sir!

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

It's a joke

Well maybe if we laughed, which we didn't, we would have thought it was a joke.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Well maybe if we laughed, which we didn't, we would have thought it was a joke.

So you're saying I shouldn't quit my day job???

How you feeling about the bledisloe cup?

All blacks are gonna be tough to beat.

I'm excited to see those wallabies go down!

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

So you're saying I shouldn't quit my day job???

How you feeling about the bledisloe cup?

All blacks are gonna be tough to beat.

I'm excited to see those wallabies go down!

Rugby blows.  Aussie Rules Football is a 10x better game.

Archived