EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's sad that you believe that a stance from a professional athlete must be made public for it to be relevant.   I prefer athletes that keep their politics, their personal thoughts about the state of things, etc. behind closed doors.  I don't care what you think about the issues of the day, while I am watching you perform.  There was a time that sports wasn't full of politics and the rest.   I long for that time.  If Carson wanted to tell the world that he was vaccinated, he could have been among the many many millennials that posted to their Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, or whatever accounts and announced it to the world.   OR... he could choose to leave that a private matter and tell the reporters that they don't need to know, and that while keeping it secret from the press, he can support both the teammates that got vaccinated and those that didn't get vaccinated. 

He stated a preference, which was privacy.  That is what you have a problem with.  You don't know what has been inside and around the team.  All you know is the public comment.  

Wrong. That wasn’t my issue.  

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, greend said:

I'm not questioning Graham's leadership. 

I was just expressing an admiration for Graham’s leadership and some disdain for Carson’s, which may have been an issue here.

Won’t be any guessing soon , no vaccination , no job .

Google to require employee #COVID19 #vaccinations. 

Just the beginning 

Just now, Original Sin said:

Just the beginning 

As it should be. Just think of the health insurance effects.

2 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Just the beginning 

just managing risk

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

What time does camp start???

What time does camp start???

After mandatory shot camp and classes on leadership.

9 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

we talking about teammates or bosses? the players largely seem to not want to answer. is Dak a bad leader b/c of it. i dont understand the players' general hesitancy to talk about it, but it has nothing to do with their leadership - and they are peers not bosses.

lets remember this was a guy JP called the General....

Actually, what I was looking at was leaders at a team level.   I agree with @Iggles_Phan that press conferences are not the best gauge but the team is usually parading out the players they are often projecting as not only star performers but also team leaders.  And my reaction was really to the way Graham presents and how I can see why he is seen as a locker room leader.  Now, I did contrast that to how I think Carson presents.  The conversation got skewed because it was interpreted as being about the vaccine.  You may recall last year my reaction to Wentz coming out at after game press conferences and admitting to hero ball being an issue, and fumbles and missing throws and then seemingly doing nothing about it until Doug called him out on hero ball, to which he apparently pouted and then wouldn’t speak to Doug so while I did try to give Carson the benefit of the doubt, I soured on his performance as a leader.   Not all leaders are bosses (most aren’t) and not all bosses are leaders (many aren’t).  

25 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Just the beginning 

24 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

As it should be. Just think of the health insurance effects.

22 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

just managing risk

Well since good people are damned near impossible to find we'll see how that works out for them

15 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

After mandatory shot camp and classes on leadership.

Is mandatory shot camp an actual thing???

13 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Just the beginning 

There are a number of states that have pending legislation that would probably prevent employers from requiring vaccines.  So it's going to vary from state to state.  I think if the economic consequences change there's going to be pushback against it.  I imagine large employers with employer funded health insurance are going to want to be able to fire people who refuse the vaccine due to the potential economic cost to the business.  I think there's a very good free market reason to allow employers the choice about who they hire and fire.  There are good business reasons to not employ people who refuse the vaccine.  I don't think there's been a lot of pushback yet because frankly most employers don't want to fire people over this kind of stuff.   We should also keep in mind that very little resources comparatively have been put into treatment vs. vaccination.  As I understand the disease, there are likely potential avenues for treatment.  As resources are put into treatment, we could see an overall change in the consequences for the disease.  

45 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Makes you wonder if Barnett starting off camp with the 2s isn’t a sign of what the Eagles think of his value in Gannon’s defense.  While they are on the hook for his salary, having picked up his option, that responsibility falls to the team he plays for if he is traded.  I wonder if the Eagles are actively trying to trade him.  Fixes any cap issues this year.  We will probably bemoan the draft capital received in return because he was a first round choice but that was four years ago.   Might be a deal like the Randall Cobb deal even where the Eagles take on part of his salary. 

A Barnett trade would be a surprise.  He is overpaid, but he is a decent 3rd/4th DE.  But I suppose having Williams lining at DE could be a clue that they are trying to trade him

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

There are a number of states that have pending legislation that would probably prevent employers from requiring vaccines.  So it's going to vary from state to state.  I think if the economic consequences change there's going to be pushback against it.  I imagine large employers with employer funded health insurance are going to want to be able to fire people who refuse the vaccine due to the potential economic cost to the business.  I think there's a very good free market reason to allow employers the choice about who they hire and fire.  There are good business reasons to not employ people who refuse the vaccine.  I don't think there's been a lot of pushback yet because frankly most employers don't want to fire people over this kind of stuff.   We should also keep in mind that very little resources comparatively have been put into treatment vs. vaccination.  As I understand the disease, there are likely potential avenues for treatment.  As resources are put into treatment, we could see an overall change in the consequences for the disease.  

Not sure why employers would be reluctant, many jobs still do piss Tests to screen for drugs before hiring why not verify for vaccination?

23 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Just the beginning 

EEOC said only accommodations required are because for health reasons a person cannot be vaccinated or because of religious reasons which opened it up for companies to manage their exposures.  

Ron Rivera would be entitled to ADA accommodations, for example, as a hedge against exposure.  Probably easier to manage the unvaccinated exposures if a company only has to deal with those limited EEOC exceptions.  Plus, given the load that health insurance is on a company, requiring vaccination cuts those costs.  The fact that many companies arrange flu vaccines and check ups in the fall isn’t altruistic, it’s a benefit to them too.

3 minutes ago, greend said:

Well since good people are damned near impossible to find we'll see how that works out for them

I think that's the calculus.  I have people working from that work from home that have yet to have the vaccine. Ultimately the risk they run is that someone else who isn't vaccinated gets so sick that there's a significant health insurance cost such that we can't take the risk. 

Just now, Freshmilk said:

A Barnett trade would be a surprise.  He is overpaid, but he is a decent 3rd/4th DE.  But I suppose having Williams lining at DE could be a clue that they are trying to trade him

They are very very thin at DE.  Graham has a year left.  I doubt he's back for 2022.  Kerrigan is a Chris Long level deal, but likely not going to play at the level Chris Long did.  And beside them is Barnett, Sweat and Williams.    Barnett is a FA at the end of the year, and because of that, and his current price tag, I can't see a team trading for him and giving much of value back.   Yes, he's still young for a 5th year player, but they'd either be trading for a rental, or they'd be forced to give him a new deal immediately.  Neither prospect seems to mean that the team trading for him would be willing to pay much, and there's not much there at the DE position to incentivize a trade from the Eagles' perspective.  Sweat has talent, but a lingering question about durability.  Williams is a giant question mark.  Graham and Kerrigan are band-aids.  There's just not much in the cupboard at DE to make a trade attractive unless a team drastically overpays... which I just can't see happening.

What would it take to trade Barnett before the season?  and what might a team actually offer?

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Not sure why employers would be reluctant, many jobs still do piss Tests to screen for drugs before hiring why not verify for vaccination?

It's a tight job market and a controversial issue. 

10 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Yup

Plus some places are even dropping back on drug testing (weed) requirements.

55 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I was just expressing an admiration for Graham’s leadership and some disdain for Carson’s, which may have been an issue here.

As far as Wentz, he's new there and has to "play the room" a bit; his team is one of if not the lowest vaccinated groups in the league, and they already have teammates going back and forth on twitter on the issue.  He probably feels it's best to walk the consensus line for now rather than alienate a large segment of the room whichever way he lands.

His answer discussed the importance of the season and how they aren't going to let anything derail it.  Taking that into account, I'd be gobsmacked if he isn't vaccinated.

23 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Is mandatory shot camp an actual thing???

I was joking about the comments, but it probably will be

11 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Should be neither but that's a conversation for another board 

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Many large companies are self insured to at least a certain level.  They hire the United Healthcare, Aetna and Cigna organizations to administer their claims, including providing networks.  So savings on healthcare go right to the bottom line.  Legislation against requiring vaccines might be seen as being anti-business and that can be bad for attracting and keeping employers.  

Archived