EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It makes no sense for the Texans. Just wait until it clears up and trade him for a lot more. 

Unless they don’t think it’ll clear up…

Maybe they're just sick and tired of the sideshow that it's become? You're likely right tho. It's an odd situation. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Maybe they're just sick and tired of the sideshow that it's become? You're likely right tho. It's an odd situation. 

I think they should just send him home until this is cleared up. Having him be a scout team safety is beyond stupid. 

If the Texans are desperate to get rid of Watson, and maybe Jack Easterby has "prayed" on it and told Cal McNair what to do, then there could be a deal to be made.  The issue is compensation and what teams will want to pay now to do it. If they want Watson out of the building, then the comp could be less than advertised.

In the times we live in, hiring someone into an org who has a lot of allegations that are not resolved against them is tricky.  Esp when the Ownership spent a lot of time last year talking about social justice issues blah blah blah.  Some would call the Eagles hypocrites if they traded for Watson, as things stand today, or if he his found guilty and traded for.

As it stands, I wouldn't offer more than a 1st.

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It makes no sense for the Texans. Just wait until it clears up and trade him for a lot more. 

Unless they don’t think it’ll clear up…

I find it really weird (for a lack of a better word), how the nfl hasn’t stepped in and put him on the exempt list yet. Like that should’ve been done prior to training camp starting. Trevor Bauer has an ongoing investigation and MLB hasn’t let him see the field since a couple days after the report came out. Also the nfl has placed guys on that with an investigation going on.  

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I find it really weird (for a lack of a better word), how the nfl hasn’t stepped in and put him on the exempt list yet. Like that should’ve been done prior to training camp starting. Trevor Bauer has an ongoing investigation and MLB hasn’t let him see the field since a couple days after the report came out. Also the nfl has placed guys on that with an investigation going on.  

I think the difference is that NFL investigators were able to speak to the accusers. Supposedly they haven’t been able to talk to them in this case. 

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think the difference is that NFL investigators were able to speak to the accusers. Supposedly they haven’t been able to talk to them in this case. 

Idk florio had a story saying At least two women back in April agreed to meet with the nfl (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/report-at-least-two-of-the-women-suing-deshaun-watson-have-agreed-to-meet-with-the-nfl/). Even if it were just two i think it would have to be enough. I feel like just everything surrounding it and that’s been made public it would be in their best interest to just put him on that list. Cause it would prevent the circus going on now until it is legally over. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am guessing that there are reasons he hasn't been suspended. Robert Kraft was accused of similar acts, and he was never punished at all because the criminal charges were dropped. And in some ways what he did was much worse. Many women who work at the type of spas he visited are essentially forced sex workers. And the NFL seemed really eager to drop its investigation into those allegations as soon as the police stopped investigating. So it is easy to see a double standard. I am sure the NFL would love to suspend him, but the fact that he hasn't been suspended makes me think it won't happen anytime soon.   

An indictment could be handed down at any time, but the lawyer for the women said that only about half of his clients have even been interviewed at this point, so it seems like we are a long way off from that happening.

Plus, this is Houston. If you remember, the cops there lost their minds in the Michael Bennet case and that blew up in their faces. I am sure they aren't going to rush into pressing criminal charges in this case, especially since the civil defense attorney has handled the matter in a way that makes building a criminal case extremely difficult.

It's really tricky. Do the Texans eat $10 million and let him sit? Do they release him if no one wants to trade for him? Would any team be willing to wade into this mess if the price gets low enough? It is certainly fascinating. 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk florio had a story saying At least two women back in April agreed to meet with the nfl (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/report-at-least-two-of-the-women-suing-deshaun-watson-have-agreed-to-meet-with-the-nfl/). Even if it were just two i think it would have to be enough. I feel like just everything surrounding it and that’s been made public it would be in their best interest to just put him on that list. Cause it would prevent the circus going on now until it is legally over. 

Fair enough. I thought I read a story a month or so ago that said they hadn’t met with them because Buzbee wouldn’t allow it. I guess I didn’t remember it correctly. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Fair enough. I thought I read a story a month or so ago that said they hadn’t met with them because Buzbee wouldn’t allow it. I guess I didn’t remember it correctly. 

There’s definitely the possibility that they agreed to it but buzbee prevented it. 

10 hours ago, MillerTime said:

To me doug is the one that played him though. I agree howie gave him a bad contract. I dont agree that he made doug play him. Doug stood strong in his beliefs this past year and it got him fired.

There was a McLane report at the start of or right before last season that confirmed that Roseman has final say on the game day roster.  With what we know now about Roseman and Lurie grilling Pederson after every game, win or loss, it's pretty clear that Roseman had and very likely still maintains deciding influence on who does and doesn't play. 

For you guys that care, my continued tracking of the cap situation.  I started doing this on March 4th, the cap as it stood then.

2022 cap space - $ 73.325 million

2023 cap space - $ 136.813 million

2024 cap space - $ 207.5 million

After all the maneuvering to get under the 2021 cap, sign guys with multiple void years, sign rookies and other restructures, here is where the Eagles stand August 5th.

2022 cap space - $ 3.193 million ( that is 70 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2023 cap space - $ 76.829 million ( that is 59.9 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2024 cap space - $ 177.6 million ( that is 29.898 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

That is a total negative impact on the 2022-2024 cap of 160 million.  Not sure how anyone can defend his cap gymnastics at this point.

Interesting note on Tyree Jackson… Caplan said on his podcast that the most surprising aspect of his move to TE is that he’s been able to hold his own as a blocker. That’s a helluva development for a former QB. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

No, he really is not, see my post above.

Wrong!

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting note on Tyree Jackson… Caplan said on his podcast that the most surprising aspect of his move to TE is that he’s been able to hold his own as a blocker. That’s a helluva development for a former QB. 

If he has accepted that he can no longer be a QB and is committed to being a TE, he could be a potential PS stash for the season.  Of course, he needs to do it once the PS games start!

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For you guys that care, my continued tracking of the cap situation.  I started doing this on March 4th, the cap as it stood then.

2022 cap space - $ 73.325 million

2023 cap space - $ 136.813 million

2024 cap space - $ 207.5 million

After all the maneuvering to get under the 2021 cap, sign guys with multiple void years, sign rookies and other restructures, here is where the Eagles stand August 5th.

2022 cap space - $ 3.193 million ( that is 70 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2023 cap space - $ 76.829 million ( that is 59.9 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2024 cap space - $ 177.6 million ( that is 29.898 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

That is a total negative impact on the 2022-2024 cap of 160 million.  Not sure how anyone can defend his cap gymnastics at this point.

Hard to really quantify it without knowing the cap penalties of cutting certain players. He will definitely create space in 2022 (almost assuredly by kicking the can and carrying over some money). 

Howie definitely is counting on a cap boom in 2023. 

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I am guessing that there are reasons he hasn't been suspended. Robert Kraft was accused of similar acts, and he was never punished at all because the criminal charges were dropped. And in some ways what he did was much worse. Many women who work at the type of spas he visited are essentially forced sex workers. And the NFL seemed really eager to drop its investigation into those allegations as soon as the police stopped investigating. So it is easy to see a double standard. I am sure the NFL would love to suspend him, but the fact that he hasn't been suspended makes me think it won't happen anytime soon.   

An indictment could be handed down at any time, but the lawyer for the women said that only about half of his clients have even been interviewed at this point, so it seems like we are a long way off from that happening.

Plus, this is Houston. If you remember, the cops there lost their minds in the Michael Bennet case and that blew up in their faces. I am sure they aren't going to rush into pressing criminal charges in this case, especially since the civil defense attorney has handled the matter in a way that makes building a criminal case extremely difficult.

It's really tricky. Do the Texans eat $10 million and let him sit? Do they release him if no one wants to trade for him? Would any team be willing to wade into this mess if the price gets low enough? It is certainly fascinating. 

That’s a good point on the Kraft one. I’m guessing the Nflpa would probably bring they up if they did that as the double standard. 

i tend to agree i don’t see him being suspended anytime soon either. I believe if they were going to do relatively soon then it would’ve already happened. 

agree also on how it’s been handled makes bringing a criminal case much harder. As well as in a criminal case it has to be prove beyond a reasonable doubt. So you have to be much more cautious and careful when doing the investigation to gather all info and evidence to get the conviction. 

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

If he has accepted that he can no longer be a QB and is committed to being a TE, he could be a potential PS stash for the season.  Of course, he needs to do it once the PS games start!

If he’s really looking this good in his first offseason as a convert, he’ll be on the 53. 

3 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Idk the eagles took that gamble last year on a tight end they thought they could pass through waivers and get on the practice squad. I’m not sure if he is playing as well as it sounds they take risk.

Lost in the Sweat hype is that multiple beats have said Barnett us been pretty good too. 

Sweat’s knee complicates matters, but I wonder if the Eagles try to get him extended before a possible breakout. 

11 hours ago, austinfan said:

Given that Wentz looked awful the last 12 games of his rookie year after a hot start, I'd have my doubts about Peddy/Reich after that first year.

He was a rookie, he had some bad games, but he did not look awful for 12 straight games.

He had his 2nd, 4th and 5th best games in regards to completion percentage during those 12 games.

He had his 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th best games in regards to rating during those 12 games.

He had his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th best games in regards to QBR during those 12 games.  Don't forget, it was you that stated QBR is the best measure of a QB.

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

If he’s really looking this good in his first offseason as a convert, he’ll be on the 53. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk the eagles took that gamble last year on a tight end they thought they could pass through waivers and get on the practice squad. I’m not sure if he is playing as well as it sounds they take risk.

Let's see what happens when he is asked to block in games.  Could be a different scenario altogether - only one way to find out tho

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

First some of the women in this case who’ve put themselves out there and stated their name and put specifics of what happened. Do i think some of them are in the position you’ve mentioned? Yes. But the ones who’ve stated their name and whats happened have had people in their corner and defending them. And rightfully so. I’m guessing they also probably had some of that stuff you talked about happen to them. Which brings me to the opposite side of this where they want their story out there to show the horrors of sexual assault that prevents it happening from watson or anybody again regardless of how big a profile you are. Once they sign the non disclosure they can’t legally talk about it anymore. also helps other sexual assault victims come forward because they put their name behind it and aren’t afraid to stand up and have their story out there. As someone who’s had a family member and friend go through something like this (sexual assault) it very much helps seeing other women come forth, putting it all out there and being brave enough to do it. It really does help more than I think people realize. Your point is valid however it’s still very much more unusual for the defendant to not want one (usually they do want a non disclosure) and the plaintiff to require one even in a high profile case. It’s usually the opposite way around or mutual. 

second that is true. Still if all go away besides the two after he settles in civil court that still the majority of them going away and are dismissed. and then they have to figure out through the investigation if there’s enough evidence provided by just those two to take it to court so they can get a conviction, which there’s a possibility they don’t. To get a conviction in criminal court isn’t the same as in civil court. In civil court the plaintiff only has to prove more than likely he did it. It’s easier to try and prove guilt. Meanwhile in criminal court you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he did so. In a case where it’s going to be a lot of she said he did this and he says he’s innocent so losing all but two criminal cases in Watson’s benefit when it goes to a jury that has to negate the other ones who dropped the charges. That’s why I said all curious to see how many of those plaintiffs  in the civil case stay with the criminal case after it is likely settled in a civil court case

Listen to Adam caplan in his podcast and interview on 973 from the end of April/beginning Of May. He details how they do so. Additionally you mention multibillion dollar industry, so you telling me a business with very very deep pockets aren’t figuring out a way to get more info or have their own investigators who are hired to do background checks and this type of thing for a living constantly aren’t able to get more info then the normal person? I also believe even if this all went away teams would still be spending a ton of money to investigate to get even more information than what was provided publicly.  

I tend to agree i don’t think anything gets done until legally this plays itself out because I’m betting they have info they have from their investigation doesn’t reasonably conclude it won’t go to trial. 

You have a mixed match of false information in here.  The majority of the women filed as Jane Does.  They withheld their names and even fought to withhold their names from the defendant.  Rusty Hardin fought for disclosure so that the defense could conduct an investigation into the disclosure.  Initially only one filed a criminal report.  After some back and forth between Buzbee and Hardin, I believe that maybe three more have done so.  Houston Police (HPD) does not confirm this happened. HPD has yet to bring criminal charges.  It is possible that Buzbee’s ploy of requesting NDAs is to use them as a shield for his clients to decline to testify in any criminal case.  Who knows why he wants NDAs?  But Watson has publicly rejected NDAs.

I agree that sexual assault cases are difficult.  Just ask the women that made statements about Cuomo.   I suspect there is some Cuomo like behavior in this Watson scenario and some Robert Kraft/Elliot Spritzer (NY has bad tastes in governors) like behavior in the Watson scenario as well.  I would be a bit surprised at Lurie if he traded for Watson.  But it could well be a death knell for Howie if it backfired.  

11 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Hard to really quantify it without knowing the cap penalties of cutting certain players. He will definitely create space in 2022 (almost assuredly by kicking the can and carrying over some money). 

Howie definitely is counting on a cap boom in 2023. 

These numbers are based on the projected cap for those years, 225 million in 2023, and 256 million in 2024.  Those numbers may fluctuate a little, but there is not going to be more than a couple million added.

Next years cap ceiling is already set at 208.2 million.

Archived