EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think they should just send him home until this is cleared up. Having him be a scout team safety is beyond stupid. 

They may have.  He has been absent from camp for two days.  The tweet I posted of Culley from yesterday is beyond funny for the dodging an answer.  Here it is:

Guest justrelax
2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I’ve said it a bunch of times (and so have others) that I cannot see the Eagles trading for Watson until his legal issues are resolved and until they know what his punishment is from the NFL.

The timeline makes no sense. 

While I tend to agree with you and while I certainly don’t want a serial predator on our team I can’t help but think that if you can stomach it, this is a big opportunity to add a terrific player at a bargain basement price. What with his tainted personal history, iffy suspension possibility, and the fact that he wants out and Houston wants him out all conflate to drive down his price. Without all that stuff he’s worth three #1s easily. 

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He was a rookie, he had some bad games, but he did not look awful for 12 straight games.

He had his 2nd, 4th and 5th best games in regards to completion percentage during those 12 games.

He had his 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th best games in regards to rating during those 12 games.

He had his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th best games in regards to QBR during those 12 games.

He has to rewrite the history to defend Howie at every turn.  

26 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Fair enough. I thought I read a story a month or so ago that said they hadn’t met with them because Buzbee wouldn’t allow it. I guess I didn’t remember it correctly. 

Buzbee cut off interviews because he said the NFL didn’t treat his clients well.  I have to imagine there were questions about solicitation, repeat business, scrubbing social media etc.

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

While I tend to agree with you and while I certainly don’t want a serial predator on our team I can’t help but think that if you can stomach it, this is a big opportunity to add a terrific player at a bargain basement price. What with his tainted personal history, iffy suspension possibility, and the fact that he wants out and Houston wants him out all conflate to drive down his price. Without all that stuff he’s worth three #1s easily. 

What makes some sense to me is a deal like Hurts and two or three high draft picks that are conditional on Watson being on the roster by a certain date (say April 15, 2022.) So if Watson gets indicted or suspended, the team can release him with a minimal cap hit and without losing a lot of draft picks. If the criminal cases fizzle out and the civil cases get settled, then the Texans still get a decent return for him.

The fact that his base salary for this season is low makes a deal like that possible.  

24 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting note on Tyree Jackson… Caplan said on his podcast that the most surprising aspect of his move to TE is that he’s been able to hold his own as a blocker. That’s a helluva development for a former QB. 

At his size, being able to block doesn’t surprise me at all.  Dual threat QBs are used to contact.  What I wonder about him is how complete his route running and route trees are.

29 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

You have a mixed match of false information in here.  The majority of the women filed as Jane Does.  They withheld their names and even fought to withhold their names from the defendant.  Rusty Hardin fought for disclosure so that the defense could conduct an investigation into the disclosure.  Initially only one filed a criminal report.  After some back and forth between Buzbee and Hardin, I believe that maybe three more have done so.  Houston Police (HPD) does not confirm this happened. HPD has yet to bring criminal charges.  It is possible that Buzbee’s ploy of requesting NDAs is to use them as a shield for his clients to decline to testify in any criminal case.  Who knows why he wants NDAs?  But Watson has publicly rejected NDAs.

I agree that sexual assault cases are difficult.  Just ask the women that made statements about Cuomo.   I suspect there is some Cuomo like behavior in this Watson scenario and some Robert Kraft/Elliot Spritzer (NY has bad tastes in governors) like behavior in the Watson scenario as well.  I would be a bit surprised at Lurie if he traded for Watson.  But it could well be a death knell for Howie if it backfired.  

Never said the majority didn’t file as Jane does. When i said some i was more talking about the two who went public that came out and talked about it: Ashley Solis  and Lauren Baxley. Bad use of words probably shouldn’t have said some and just went with those two women went public with it eventually. Also do think it is super helpful that those two went public cause it helps other sexual assault victims see it’s ok to come out and not be afraid. Again poor wording on my part should’ve just went the route of using the two women’s name and showing how they put themselves out there already  

my point on the NDA was more about when watson went to do the actual settlement that he didn’t want a NDA and the plaintiffs did. That’s the dumbed down version florio explained it. Granted it’s florio so he could be completely wrong. What you said is 100% accurate on keeping their names disclosed from watson and Hardin wanting a disclosure to investigate. I’m not going to even argue cause you are right. 

31 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

There was a McLane report at the start of or right before last season that confirmed that Roseman has final say on the game day roster.  With what we know now about Roseman and Lurie grilling Pederson after every game, win or loss, it's pretty clear that Roseman had and very likely still maintains deciding influence on who does and doesn't play. 

Having final say on the roster is a whole lot different then who plays each snap. Again, to me the evidence points to Doug on this one. And I don’t know why I need to say this, but that doesn’t mean i blame every issue on Doug. Howie deserves plenty blame.

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He was a rookie, he had some bad games, but he did not look awful for 12 straight games.

He had his 2nd, 4th and 5th best games in regards to completion percentage during those 12 games.

He had his 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th best games in regards to rating during those 12 games.

He had his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th best games in regards to QBR during those 12 games.

Thanks for doing the research on this. I thought the original comment was silly but didn't feel like investing time in an attempt at a rebuttal. So naturally, I agree with you.

25 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lost in the Sweat hype is that multiple beats have said Barnett us been pretty good too. 

Sweat’s knee complicates matters, but I wonder if the Eagles try to get him extended before a possible breakout. 

I think they should let all the potential breakout guys -- Goedert, Mailata, Sweat -- play out their contracts. Market for those guys isn't gonna go up THAT much. Worst case they turn into top 5 guys at their position, woe is them.

8 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Having final say on the roster is a whole lot different then who plays each snap. Again, to me the evidence points to Doug on this one. And I don’t know why I need to say this, but that doesn’t mean i blame every issue on Doug. Howie deserves plenty blame.

Evidence actually points to Doug not having a lot of say or control at all over his time with the Eagles which lead to his frustration and basically choosing to part ways with the Eagles. Howie is like a mini-Jerry Jones only somehow more involved. 

5 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Thanks for doing the research on this. I thought the original comment was silly but didn't feel like investing time in an attempt at a rebuttal. So naturally, I agree with you.

Got it all saved in a google spreadsheet.  All I have to do is add a row anytime there is an update.  Here is the link if you want to see it, let me know if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tF3yanEJI265hP5FH6PVCZDmTt5QQxDye3gmz2wRy5s/edit#gid=0

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Got it all saved in a google spreadsheet.  All I have to do is add a row anytime there is an update.  Here is the link if you want to see it, let me know if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tF3yanEJI265hP5FH6PVCZDmTt5QQxDye3gmz2wRy5s/edit#gid=0

Dang you went full spreadsheet. I wish i saved some of the statistical stuff i did over the years that way. Like i remember the super bowl year and the two years after i did third down plays the eagles had that were 1-3 yards, 4-6 and 7+ and seeing the percentage per game was over the 3 years and how it changed each year. But when the old emb went down all that went with it. 

11 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I think they should let all the potential breakout guys -- Goedert, Mailata, Sweat -- play out their contracts. Market for those guys isn't gonna go up THAT much. Worst case they turn into top 5 guys at their position, woe is them.

Let our #1 Tight End, Starting Left Tackle and a DE who was an absolute beast before injuring his knee who seems to be approaching full fitness play out the last year of their contracts? That's insanity.

9 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

At the end of the day. Social media provides no real news to anyone imo. "Things are heating up"  Things aren't heating up". It's all about the clicks.

6 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Let our #1 Tight End, Starting Left Tackle and a DE who was an absolute beast before injuring his knee who seems to be approaching full fitness play out the last year of their contracts? That's insanity.

Well Goedert isn't an automatic signing. He has injury concerns, and hasn't really lived up to the top 5 TE money that he likely will seek/get as a FA. If he's wiling to take a team friendly deal with bonuses for statistical performance, I'm all for it. But this organization has been able to find TEs rather easily over the last 20-25 years really. Losing Goedert is not a big concern of mine.

Sweat is very interesting. He hasn't really done much so far, but if he has a breakout year with 10+ sacks, yeah his price will be driven up. But who's to say he's not looking to take that gamble himself? Maybe he doesn't want to take a lesser contract right now, and bets on himself to have a big year and then test free agency? I don't know that I'd overpay to keep him around either. 

Mailata is the only one I'd try to extend right now. He looks the part of a franchise LT, and is a great story all around. I would not want to allow him to test FA. He may also feel some loyalty to the organization and Stoutland for developing him, which may make him more inclined to re-sign here. 

Flacco and Mullens having career types of training camps!!! Lol 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting note on Tyree Jackson… Caplan said on his podcast that the most surprising aspect of his move to TE is that he’s been able to hold his own as a blocker. That’s a helluva development for a former QB. 

He ran a 4.59 at the combine, too. He’s 6’7”.

@RememberTheKoy.

That's quite a lot to read.

I think the one question I've heard on here is that if these women were sexually assaulted then why did they make return appointments?

By my count of the 22 accusers 2 of showed for return appointments, one didn't know it was Watson she was rescheduled with the other had a minor incident the first time and second time prematurely ended appointment when Watson acted inappropriately.

I think the rest of the statements are pretty clear cut and dry, almost all of them recall similar experiences, keep in mind none of these women know each other or talked to each other before making claims yet all of them have similar experiences with Watson.

The idea that this is some kind of orchestrated conspiracy by buzbee or the Texans or the accusers is far fetched at best and not based in any evidence.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with all the cases, I'm sure Watson has enough funds to pay all 22 off, not sure all 22 will settle for that and it's much easier to prove guilt in a civil court than a federal one.

Having said that I can't imagine the league reading all the statements given and not doing anything other than suspending him whether he settles in or out if court.

I also think the league probably doesn't want those statements in the public eye and would rather the whole thing just goes away so they can conduct business as usual 

Either way I wouldn't want Watson on my team and if the eagles did trade for him I'd have difficult time rooting for by my assertion a sexual predator.

Thanks for posting all that, very informative!

20 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It would be funny if Mullens is our starter. After expecting Hurts to be the guy, and signing flacco to bigger money much earlier on the offseason. 

In the end, I think Watson will be the QB. And I kinda think it might happen soon so they can get him in camp a little bit. 

57 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

At his size, being able to block doesn’t surprise me at all.  Dual threat QBs are used to contact.  What I wonder about him is how complete his route running and route trees are.

Being able to block has so much more to do with technique and footwork than size and the type of physical contact he was used to as a running QB. I think you’re underselling this alleged development. 

21 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That is not a good spot to be in.

5 minutes ago, SB52 said:

He ran a 4.59 at the combine, too. He’s 6’7”.

Yeah. He was a fantastic flyer. That’s what the PS and 90 man roster is for. 

Archived