EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

McLeod is a decent safety. Point is the only players on the team you can point to being genuinely good players are all 30 or older on defense. They should be a decent group this season hopefully but there is no bright future with that side of the ball as of today. 

At least one of Graham/Cox will be here next year most likely. No easy way out of Slay contact either I don’t think. We have time to groom draft picks.

Plus we will have a little more room to operate in FA next year and guys like Jessie Bates, Jonathan Allen, JC Jackson, Lattimore will be available. There are a lot more options in FA in secondary than D-line, however.

5 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will nearly as good as Watson?

I don’t like any of them as we sit right now 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will be nearly as good as Watson?

Malik Willis 

7 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will be nearly as good as Watson?

He's already on the roster.

Jalen "Oh crap he's covered, better take off" Hurts baby.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Teams win games, not QBs. But if you want to go that route, the teams he's been on have been playoff teams in the NFL and multiple national titles in college. He's accurate, he has a good enough arm, he makes good decisions, he reads defenses well, and he's very athletic.

The better question is what's to dislike about his game? He does everything you want in a QB.

I think Watson is a very good QB.  But he’s barely sniffed the playoffs and when he has, hasn’t won anything.  The idea of giving up a King’s ransom for him when we have yet to see what Hurts and the rest of the younger guys can do is absolutely nonsensical at this point, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

I think Watson is a very good QB.  But he’s barely sniffed the playoffs and when he has, hasn’t won anything.  The idea of giving up a King’s ransom for him when we have yet to see what Hurts and the rest of the younger guys can do is absolutely nonsensical at this point, IMO. 

I don't think anyone is willing to part with a Kings ransom, though. A fair trade for that caliber of QB? Sure. If they won't budge for anything less than 3 firsts, Cox, Barnett and Sanders, hang up the phone.

15 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

This fan base puts way too much value into the team’s draft picks. If you’re a team like Baltimore that has a strong track record in drafting, then sure, you put a lot of value in your draft picks and they matter. But Howie’s draft track record speaks for itself. It’s why when the Jalen Ramsey trade talk was happening on here, I really didn’t care about giving up the picks in that deal in order to get the best corner in the league. It’s not like they would draft anyone better. 

That maybe true but that’s not even the point. Negotiations go the way that they do and they come down to the 2 1st round picks, Jalen hurts and it conditional 4 that could become a third round pick based off his performance in 2023. So you’re telling me with a first round pick in 2022 and 23, second round picks in 2022 and 2023, 2022 3rd round pick and the rest of your draft from 2022 and besides a fourth round pick (potentially 3rd) in 2023 having the rest of your picks you can’t draft and build your roster? not only that we haven’t even talked about potential compensatory pics they’re going to get or potentially trading back and getting more picks to accumulate some capital back.  

The raiders had 5 first round picks from 2019 and 2020. I am sure they probably thought they were going to build up the roster doing it that way. Meanwhile they look like they’re about to finish in third or last place in their division. So you might become the Raiders or you Might build a Super Bowl contender. There’s nothing to show in the recent history of purely eagles drafting that says they couldn’t wind up using those picks like the raiders as much as building properly. 

10 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will nearly as good as Watson?

That's not really a fair question.  Watson was the 3rd QB taken in his own draft and didn't come off the board until #12 overall.

39 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

He’s better suited at LG IMO

Yup, so lets expect them to move him to C...  I really want him at G then draft Linderbaum in 2022 for C

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

I don't think anyone is willing to part with a Kings ransom, though. A fair trade for that caliber of QB? Sure. If they won't budge for anything less than 3 firsts, Cox, Barnett and Sanders, hang up the phone.

This. The whole reason this is so compelling is the chance to buy low due to the circumstances. The Texans can leak whatever asking price they want -- no one is paying anything close to that for a player who has demanded a trade and has serious legal/character issues. I'd offer Miami's 1st, the Colts pick, Hurts and Ertz...maybe throw in a 2023 3rd or something to get it done. But that's it. 

7 minutes ago, Swoop said:

He's already on the roster.

Jalen "Oh crap he's covered, better take off" Hurts baby.

Drip daddy 

1 minute ago, vikas83 said:

This. The whole reason this is so compelling is the chance to buy low due to the circumstances. The Texans can leak whatever asking price they want -- no one is paying anything close to that for a player who has demanded a trade and has serious legal/character issues. I'd offer Miami's 1st, the Colts pick, Hurts and Ertz...maybe throw in a 2023 3rd or something to get it done. But that's it. 

I'd be tempted to include Cox as well, simply because he's on the decline (or will be soon), we're a few years off and he makes a lot. But yeah, your package is more than fair.

man it's negative in here , haven't played 1 preseason game yet and already talking about QB's net year. i'd like to see what IMO will be a better secondary and over all scheme can help put the offense in better situations. i also believe that the offensive coaches will game plan better and use their playmakers better then last season's crap show.

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

That’s a insane amount of assets to give up at this point.  I don’t think I could take this organization seriously anymore if they gave up anything close to that.  And since that’s probably what it would take, solid "no” on my part.  

Hurts should be given the opportunity to showcase himself this season.  If they like what they see, then they stick with him…if not, then they can start looking at other options but not before then, imo. 

4 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Looks like ARod is staying put so low supply and high demand will drive up bids for a QB of his caliber (regardless of suspension risk as they’re trading for the next 10 years)

2 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Trading for Watson is "the worst move they could make" but trading up for an unknown(which will cost multiple picks as well) when the Eagles haven't been able to draft a QB who could be their long-term future in 20 years... that's the good move. Right.

Where are you expecting us to be drafting?

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm not trying to be rude but when will NFL fans, specifically Eagle fans realize that the Salary cap doesn't mean ish. 

It doesn't mean ish but every team tries desperately to get under the cap before deadlines

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Anyone else worried that the Giants or Foreskins trade a king’s ransom for Watson?  I can’t think of another team better equipped to win right now if they upgraded the QB position.  He’s not gonna miss more than 8 games once these off field issues are all settled.  Not to mention we’d have to deal with him for the next 6+ years twice a year. 

Skins pretty much just need a QB. That defense is gonna be trouble for us for awhile IMO. That would Fing suck if they got Watson or even Rodgers

Giants have more issues than QB I think

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Where are you expecting us to be drafting?

It doesn't mean ish but every team tries desperately to get under the cap before deadlines

Skins pretty much just need a QB. That defense is gonna be trouble for us for awhile IMO. That would Fing suck if they got Watson or even Rodgers

Giants have more issues than QB I think

Giants going into 2022 offseason will have an answer on Daniel jones by then. If he sucks that bears pick and their own could be very nice and appeal to a team like the Texans for watson. 

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

That’s a insane amount of assets to give up at this point.  I don’t think I could take this organization seriously anymore if they gave up anything close to that.  And since that’s probably what it would take, solid "no” on my part.  

Hurts should be given the opportunity to showcase himself this season.  If they like what they see, then they stick with him…if not, then they can start looking at other options but not before then, imo. 

That's the point. No one is suggesting that or "okay" with that.

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Looks like ARod is staying put so low supply and high demand will drive up bids for a QB of his caliber (regardless of suspension risk as they’re trading for the next 10 years)

Disagree. Every day that passes with Watson in camp as a distraction, his value drops. The fact that the Texans leaked that insane price means they aren't being offered anything close to that. But we shall see.

Deshaun Watson is following Darius Slay, Brian Dawkins and Mike Vick on twitter

Is It Happening GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Deshaun Watson is following Darius Slay, Brian Dawkins and Mike Vick on twitter

Is It Happening GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

At this point I'm almost rooting for it to watch the reaction.

Almost.

7 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

man it's negative in here , haven't played 1 preseason game yet and already talking about QB's net year. i'd like to see what IMO will be a better secondary and over all scheme can help put the offense in better situations. i also believe that the offensive coaches will game plan better and use their playmakers better then last season's crap show.

It’s as positive as Mother Theresa’s AIDS test - Ari Gold

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Giants going into 2022 offseason will have an answer on Daniel jones by then. If he sucks that bears pick and their own could be very nice and appeal to a team like the Texans for watson. 

Exactly, or they have ammo for next years draft to get a QB on a rookie 5 year deal

10 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Maybe he's unvaccinated too!

18 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s not my point  because I still have picks even if I make that move. You’re acting like they give them every pick they ever have until the end of time. Like it’s gonna be five first round picks going there. If it’s two first round picks I would still have a first round pick in 2022 and the rest of my picks in 2022. And I still have all my picks in 2023 if that’s the case. so potentially 2 firsts and 2nds the next two years and the rest of the draft classes for the eagles to build.

And we keep explaining to you he’s going to restructure so they get cap space. Also you have a bunch of older players who are going to eventually be cut where you save on cap and still could go out and get some players. And in 2023 with the new tv money the cap is going up again 

If that’s not enough picks to build your team  can you please explain to me how the majority of the NFL only has four picks in the top two rounds (most two years windows) and manages to build SB rosters? 

I think the argument is they do it by drafting a QB high and not signing him to a big second deal.  Even if you assume Watson won't get suspended for some significant period of time over the sexual assault allegations, there is no evidence that spending the kind of money they would have to spend on Watson would allow them to get the necessary talent.  It's not a matter of over valuing the potential picks, it's a matter of not overvaluing the QB position especially when the rest of the roster is far from being a contender.  

This is the salary cap percentage of the last SB winners: 

2021: Tom Brady: 12.6%

2020: Patrick Mahomes: 2.4% (Rookie)

2019: Tom Brady: 12.4%

2018: Nick Foles: 1.0% — Carson Wentz 3.6% (Rookie)

2017: Tom Brady: 8.9%

2016: Peyton Manning: 12.2%

2015: Tom Brady: 11.1%

2014: Russell Wilson: 0.6% (Rookie)

2013: Joe Flacco: 6.6% (Rookie)

2012: Eli Manning: 11.7%

2011: Aaron Rodgers: Uncapped season

2010: Drew Brees: 8.7%

Watson by comparison in 2022 and 2023 would be at over 20% of the projected cap under his current deal.  So you need a good QB to win but an expensive QB in his prime makes seem like the odds of winning go down.  

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe he's unvaccinated too!

I'm guessing he needs all sorts of shots at this point

Archived