EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

At this point I'm almost rooting for it to watch the reaction.

Almost.

I could see Howie bankrupting the teams future for Watson and it blowing up in everyone's face because the team wasn't a QB away from competing

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

At this point I'm almost rooting for it to watch the reaction.

Almost.

F it - if it happens it happens

Local Houston TV station sports director:

This smells of desperation by the Texans.

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Watson by comparison in 2022 and 2023 would be at over 20% of the projected cap under his current deal. 

Not for the team trading for him.  2022 he would be 16.8%, and 2023 he would be 8.8%

With Dickerson signed and Nelson under contract we are now ready to go to TC tomorrow with a pretty complete team. I'm ready! :Eagle_smiley:

Just now, NCiggles said:

I think the argument is they do it by drafting a QB high and not signing him to a big second deal.  Even if you assume Watson won't get suspended for some significant period of time over the sexual assault allegations, there is no evidence that spending the kind of money they would have to spend on Watson would allow them to get the necessary talent.  It's not a matter of over valuing the potential picks, it's a matter of not overvaluing the QB position especially when the rest of the roster is far from being a contender.  

This is the salary cap percentage of the last SB winners: 

2021: Tom Brady: 12.6%

2020: Patrick Mahomes: 2.4% (Rookie)

2019: Tom Brady: 12.4%

2018: Nick Foles: 1.0% — Carson Wentz 3.6% (Rookie)

2017: Tom Brady: 8.9%

2016: Peyton Manning: 12.2%

2015: Tom Brady: 11.1%

2014: Russell Wilson: 0.6% (Rookie)

2013: Joe Flacco: 6.6% (Rookie)

2012: Eli Manning: 11.7%

2011: Aaron Rodgers: Uncapped season

2010: Drew Brees: 8.7%

Watson by comparison in 2022 and 2023 would be at over 20% of the projected cap under his current deal.  So you need a good QB to win but an expensive QB in his prime makes seem like the odds of winning go down.  

I understand that point however what are you gonna do if your draft one and you don’t win a Super Bowl in five years under his rookie contract and then you’re just not gonna pay him? That’s always gonna be a problem. You might not get the rookie quarterback that you want when your team is ready to win nor ready in that time frame.

that doesn’t include you might just draft trubisky or you failed to build a roster with those pics like the raiders just showed you. There’s a flaw in that approach that people seem to just think we are going to build a SB roster drafting like they might not fail in their drafting. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Watson doesnt make this team a playoff contender. 

You have green tinted glasses on. This team stinks. 

I will say the division sucks so who knows.  I mean the Eagles could luck into a playoff spot next season but it would take a bunch of things going right for the team.  I do think Dallas has a very good offense but they are likely to be just as bad as they were last season on defense.  McCarthy doesn't impress me as a coach.  Rivera is good but they don't have a sure thing at QB.  I mean Washington is a team that right now should be trading whatever it took to get Watson.  I also think the Giants' prospects depend largely on Daniel Jones turning into an above average starting QB.  

Watson does not mean this team will compete for a Super Bowl.  It could move them from a likely 3rd or 4th spot to a possible 1st or 2nd.  

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

People are sleeping on Dallas which I dont get and the redskins defense alone wins them 7 games. 

I am telling you, this Eagles team is BAD. 

You don't get why people sleep on Dallas? The same Dallas that has been predicted to win the division or a super bowl for like the last 4 years straight to not even make it out of the first round or the playoffs at all? That Dallas? Or the Dallas that keeps losing divisions to this same sheety Eagles team? 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I understand that point however what are you gonna do if your draft one and you don’t win a Super Bowl in five years under his rookie contract and then you’re just not gonna pay him? That’s always gonna be a problem. You might not get the rookie quarterback that you want when your team is ready to win nor ready in that time frame.

that doesn’t include you might just draft trubisky or you failed to build a roster with those pics like the raiders just showed you. There’s a flaw in that approach that people seem to just think we are going to build a SB roster drafting like they might not fail in their drafting. 

The Eagles' deal with Wentz but him on par with Brady's deal with the Bucs in terms of salary cap percentage.  I think they paid him early enough to avoid some of the problems that are present in Prescott's and Watson's deals. 

9 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

People are sleeping on Dallas which I dont get and the redskins defense alone wins them 7 games. 

I am telling you, this Eagles team is BAD. 

The Cowboys are the Cowboys, Preseason  Hype Champs from 1996-2021.  They won't do anything until Jerry gets someone into that organization that he allows to challenge some of his decisions.  Yes men like Mike McCarthy and Jerry's son (Stephen) are not going to challenge the same ole thing there.  There's a reason why they haven't won much since they got rid of Jimmy. Jimmy challenged Jerry's thinking on certain things, but it was necessary. Other than Bill Parcells, Jerry has surrounded himself with "yes men". Even if the Cowboys win this division, they will be an early exit.  I don't fear the Cowboys doing anything.  The NFC is bad.  Other than Tampa, which team doesn't have some issues?  The Saints? QB issues.  The Vikings?  Cousins and Zimmer are questionable as QB and HC.  The WFT?  Can't trust Fitzpatrick and that FO/ownership.   The Packers?  Could be good, but Rodgers is a major distraction.  Seattle?  Tension between Wilson/management and lack of OL depth and defensive talent.   The 49ers? QB issues. Jimmy G and a rookie?  Not likely to be a SB contender. The Bucs are the only team without holes and how will they deal with trying to repeat?  That's tough for some teams.  The Eagles have issues and I doubt they are a contender, but when I look at the NFC...I see a lot of mediocrity.  Someone has to emerge from that cluster F.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wtf lol

If true that's such a weird hill to die on

And there were those reports that Adams would leave if Rodgers left lol

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wtf lol

I bet Rodgers is doing it to yank the FOs chain. How desperate are they to keep me happy? Trade for Cobb....

And then James Jones 😉

That'd be pretty crazy if he lights the league on fire again after all of this

19 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The Eagles' deal with Wentz but him on par with Brady's deal with the Bucs in terms of salary cap percentage.  I think they paid him early enough to avoid some of the problems that are present in Prescott's and Watson's deals. 

I look more at who’s legit super bowl contenders right now today. Teams paying Mahomes, rodgers, brady, Stafford, tannehill (less out of the realm but i give them the nod as two years ago they were in the final four), russell Wilson. (Could argue Colts if Carson plays well). The only 3 teams i can say are legit contenders and have their QBs on rookie contracts are buffalo, Ravens (i don’t really think they are until Lamar learns how to throw) and the browns. And if those three dont win this year next year they getting extensions so no longer on the rookie deals. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wtf lol

Someone needs to set up JJAW to be good buds with Rodgers.   Cobb is running on fumes. I hope he gets them to sign James Jones, so I don't have to hear him on NFLN anymore.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wtf lol

Maybe he meant a Cobb salad into Green Bay lunch room 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This whole thing is just weird 

Wait so they're going to let him go after this season?

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Only idiot hot take Skip bayless losers thinks theyre a super contender year in and year old. 

It could be blind hate towards the Cowboys(which I totally get) but theyre going to be good this year. REALLY good

I'm not buying the Dak hype. Suddenly he is Dan Marino reincarnated.  He was like Wentz at times, overthrowing wide open receivers on key downs and not seeing the whole field. But, now he is supposedly a top 5 QB based on what, just early season stats before his injury?  

Wait I thought we didn't have enough cap to sign Dickerson 

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Sounds like they are just going to cut off the last two years of his deal

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Maybe he meant a Cobb salad into Green Bay lunch room 

That guy's a freaking loon

5 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Where I agree with the cowboys not being true contenders theyre still an 11-13 win team this year IMO. 

If Rodgers stays in Green bay, there going to be monsters again. Finally have a running game and Rodgers has made it awkward up there for years, so really no difference. 

The team you're forgetting about is the Rams. Goff will be out of the league in 3 years and Mcvey has a REALLY good QB, theyre going to be fun to watch

Random order.. Rams or Buccs in the 1/2 seeds. Cowboys/Packers 3/4 . See WFT as a wild card as well as the Seahawks. the 7th wild card is a toss up but probably San Fan, I think Trey Lance and Shannahan are gonna be dangerous 

After seeing McVay's SB game plan against the Pats, I can't fear them at all.  They don't have a decent feature RB right now, at least I don't think so.  I think they will be a slightly above 500 team, but that's about it.  Stafford has a great arm, but I don't feel like he is a QB that carries a football team.  He had good WRs in Detroit.  Lance is going to need time to develop in SF.  I don't think he just comes in and wows immediately at the NFL level.  I would pick GB to rep the NFC in the SB this year, but Rodgers' situation is going to be a distraction. The media is going to ask questions every week in that locker room. The only way it won't be is if Rodgers agrees to a new deal and says that he loves being there.  

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I thought based on the tweets 2023 season is voided meaning he’s still under contract for 2022. Feels like that’s when the packers plan to trade rodgers and go with love 

Archived