EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Hurts isn't anything special. The sooner people realize this, the better. Dude has major accuracy issues.

The only reason people are hyped about him is random social media workout videos. Not anything actually done on the field last season. It's just Eagles fan desperation allowing themselves to be talked into something.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie's future doesn't need to be dictates by Hurts though. If Hurts is bad then the Eagles will be bad.  They will have a top draft pick along with likely two other firsts.  They could move up if need to be to great a top QB in a draft and then that buys Howie even more time to build around that QB. Or Hurts does take the next step this season and Howie can then use those picks to build around him and rebuild the defense. All the while they won't have Watson's massive contract to deal with. 

This would be the worst possible move this franchise could make so I'm fully expecting them to do it.  My only hope is that Watson sees how terrible of a situation this team is and doesn't waive his no trade clause to go from one disfunctional organization that caused their franchise QB to demand a trade to another disfunctional organization that caused their franchise QB to demand a trade. 

You have them going 11-6 with an inferior QB....

1 minute ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

I understand all of that, but I believe the NFLs policy is misguided. There is a good possibility some games will need to be re-scheduled.

Never argued anything against it.   The NFL has a lot of stupid policies.   

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup. Howies long term lifeline is Watson. 

I don’t think it’s just a howie decision. I think it potentially is coming from lurie as well. The excerpt on BGN Twitter today makes it feels like between mclane’s reporting of howie would give up everything and that excerpt that it would be from both howie and lurie aka lowie

have no clue if he comes here but I’d bet it comes down to the eagles, dolphins and Broncos (assuming rodgers doesn’t get dealt there) 

Trading for Watson is "the worst move they could make" but trading up for an unknown(which will cost multiple picks as well) when the Eagles haven't been able to draft a QB who could be their long-term future in 20 years... that's the good move. Right.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You have them going 11-6 with an inferior QB....

Becuase this team still has a core on defense.  As I've stated countless times the future situation for the defense is very dire.  

The only good players on defense are 30 or older.  This team for the past decade has been built around Cox and Graham.  We probably get one more solid year out of them but their rapid decline is going to be right around the corner. Then this defense is going to be absolutely screwed because we have no young players to build around on defense. 

Maybe you view Sweat or Barnett to be a cornerstone player on defense to build around but they likely will only be able to re-sign one of them, if that and who knows if that is the case if they trade for and take on that Watson contract.   Taking those draft picks in enxt years draft that they desperately need to use on some blue chip defensive talent and throwing it to the Texans is just going to cement the fact that this defense is going to be one of the least talented and worst in the league within the enxt couple years as it stands today. 

Then you also have to look at the offensive line which for this year should be good if they can stay healthy.  But they are old and injury prone.  Almost definitely Kelce's last season.  Lanes ankle might be shot for the rest of his career and he's over 30.  Brooke can't stay healthy and is also over 30.  There is a lot of work to be done on this team with their roster over the next couple seasons and trading for Watson drastically limits the work the Eagles can do to replenish this roster. 

Enough hypotheticals. 

Eagles rookies report for camp tomorrow, why is Landon Dickerson not under contract yet.  Unlike OTA's and mini camps, when it comes to training camp, no contract, no practice.

3 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Trading for Watson is "the worst move they could make" but trading up for an unknown(which will cost multiple picks as well) when the Eagles haven't been able to draft a QB who could be their long-term future in 20 years... that's the good move. Right.

I'd say Wentz worked out pretty well helping the team win the Super Bowl.  This organization doing everything it could to ruin the relationship is after the fact. 

Also if Hurts isn't the answer then the Eagles will be very bad this year and likely selecting in the top 10 or 5 again.   It will take less to move up than it will take for a Watson trade.  Also the most obvious thing is you get a QB to build around on a rookie contract instead of a QB on one of the largest contracts in the NFL. 

If we traded Wentz for Watson before the lawsuit thing, I think people would be throwing praise on Howie.

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t think it’s just a howie decision. I think it potentially is coming from lurie as well. The excerpt on BGN Twitter today makes it feels like between mclane’s reporting of howie would give up everything and that excerpt that it would be from both howie and lurie aka lowie

have no clue if he comes here but I’d bet it comes down to the eagles, dolphins and Broncos (assuming rodgers doesn’t get dealt there) 

Well yea, Lurie would have to sign off on it. It would be a significant franchise altering move short term and long term. But it would be in Howie's best interest long term to be able to snag him.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

It would be up to the 22 broads and 22 lawyers. not up to Deshuan and his peeps 

I think they all have one lawyer but yeah the clients decide whether to accept an offer. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'd say Wentz worked out pretty well helping the team win the Super Bowl.  This organization doing everything it could to ruin the relationship is after the fact. 

Also if Hurts isn't the answer then the Eagles will be very bad this year and likely selecting in the top 10 or 5 again.   It will take less to move up than it will take for a Watson trade.  Also the most obvious thing is you get a QB to build around on a rookie contract instead of a QB on one of the largest contracts in the NFL. 

You get a QB who you have no idea will be good or not and most aren’t special. The cards are stacked against you. The odds on that QB being as good or better than Watson are extremely slim. 

It’s just the price you pay for certainty. With Watson you know those picks at least won’t be wasted. Drafting a QB in the top 5, if the guy sucks, hell even if he’s just decent, the pick is a total waste. If you don’t get an elite star QB at that position then it was all for nothing. And the upcoming QB class looks average at best.

3 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

You get a QB who you have no idea will be good or not and most aren’t special. The cards are stacked against you. The odds on that QB being as good or better than Watson are extremely slim. 

It’s just the price you pay for certainty. With Watson you know those picks at least won’t be wasted. Drafting a QB in the top 5, if the guy sucks, hell even if he’s just decent, the pick is a total waste. If you don’t get an elite star QB at that position then it was all for nothing. And the upcoming QB class looks average at best.

We would get a known quantity with Watson. Picking a QB in the draft is a crap shoot. Even ole butt fumble was overall pick #5.

6 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

And the upcoming QB class looks average at best

This.  Of course, Howie picks the wrong year to have the option for the top QB in the class.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Enough hypotheticals. 

Eagles rookies report for camp tomorrow, why is Landon Dickerson not under contract yet.  Unlike OTA's and mini camps, when it comes to training camp, no contract, no practice.

Yes this is curious 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm not trying to be rude but when will NFL fans, specifically Eagle fans realize that the Salary cap doesn't mean ish. 

Actually, it does.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

It does not give you pause that multiple accusers booked multiple appointments with him, after the first one supposedly went bad, and even invited him into their own home ??

I am not sure if there's evidence of that or just that is what Hardin has alleged in response to some of the complaints.  

1 hour ago, Moderator6 said:

Just seeing these posts, but NFL and vaccinations is going to be a huge - and relevant - story all season just like COVID, just like a player making a derogatory comment or committing a crime or national anthem kneeling or other areas where politics show up in sports.  It's a reality.  It's unrealistic to expect "just" sports talk when things happen in sports that bleed into political issues.

The pinned guidelines state this and if someone is using it to get into personal attacks or get off topic talking about right vs left, Biden or Trump or whatever then you can report them...and don't feed the trolls.

Also VA doesn't moderate, he saved the EMB and is focused on the technology to keep this place running.  12 and I keep you hooligans in check!  B-)

You’re not my real dad!

12 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

the two drafts i look at where you never know what you are going to get are the 2017 and 2018 drafts

In 2017 there were people pounding the table for Trubisky thinking he would be a stud in the league. Meanwhile people poo poo’d watson coming out for a couple of reasons and scouts who thought mahomes would have trouble transitioning to a nfl type offense even with his great arm. 

in 2018 had mayfield, darnold, allen and Rosen  a lot of people on this board and in general said Allen was trash and would be a bust. Yet he’s become the best one out there. And there were people who loved josh Rosen and he’s been a huge bust. I thought darnold would be solid (think he does well in Carolina) but he’s been a massive disappointment. Heck even Lamar jackson has turned out better than people thought and there were a ton of people crapping all over that pick 

basically what I’m saying is you may get watson, Allen or mahomes in the draft you may very well get mayfield or even trubisky and Rosen. 

As much as I like wentz and that super bowl, i know the eagles didn’t envision him gone and potentially not the player we thought after 5 years.  

And if you think trading all 3 first round picks for Watson would hurt the ability to build around him, realize that all their future drafts would remain in tact. And of course the other picks in the 2022 draft.

So if you truly believe that trading those picks would destroy their ability to build around him, then you obviously have no confidence in their ability to build a team and find talent.

And if you have no confidence in their ability to find talent or build a team, then I don't know how you could be confident they could build a team if they didn't trade for Watson.

12 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

If we traded Wentz for Watson before the lawsuit thing, I think people would be throwing praise on Howie.

But we didn’t. This being out definitely changes things. 

At this point you go with Hurts unless Watson can be had for a very cheap price. Watson doesn’t even want to play in Houston anymore so the Texans have no leverage. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

the two drafts i look at where you never know what you are going to get are the 2017 and 2018 drafts

In 2017 there were people pounding the table for Trubisky thinking he would be a stud in the league. Meanwhile people poo poi’s watson coming out and scouts who thought mahomes would have trouble transitioning to a nfl type offense even with his great arm. 

in 2018 had mayfield, darnold, allen and Rosen  a lot of people on this board and in general said Allen was trash and would be a bust. Yet he’s become the best one out there. And there were people who loved josh Rosen and he’s been a huge bust. I thought darnold would be solid (think he does well in Carolina) but he’s been a massive disappointment. 

basically what I’m saying is you may get watson, Allen or mahomes in the draft you may very well get mayfield or even trubisky and Rosen. 

As much as I like wentz and that super bowl, i know the eagles didn’t envision him gone and potentially not the player we thought after 5 years.  

Yep. Most QBs don't pan out. Even fewer become Watson caliber. It sounds enticing to draft a QB high and have them on a cheaper rookie contract, but if they aren't elite, the pick was a waste. Some teams pick QBs in the first round every handful of years and none of them work out. It's a crapshoot. Yes, Watson will be pricey, but of course he will be. He's a proven stud. Why would he not cost a lot? Getting someone young and proven always costs a premium in sports.

Winston, Mariota, Wentz, Goff, Rosen, Trubisky, Darnold, Daniel Jones, Haskins. So many busts taken.

And I'm not even sure Mayfield has shown to be worth #1 overall. He's been pretty good, but not at that elite level yet.

Far more busts than not when you pick QBs, it's not easy to do.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I would consider if for the following...

2022 1st round

2022 1st round (from Miami)

2023 1st round

Anything more, Go f yourself.  

They have to take Ertz, possibly Barnett, and maybe Cox in the deal.  

46 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

I understand all of that, but I believe the NFLs policy is misguided. There is a good possibility some games will need to be re-scheduled.

I think the forfeit policy is only if the need to re-schedule is due to an outbreak among unvaccinated players.  I mean the vaccine doesn't necessarily prevent the infection and doesn't necessarily prevent the spread and almost no one is required to wear a mask anywhere anymore so there are going to be positive tests.  I would hope that it's possible to have a modified approach where a positive test from a vaccinated player without symptoms wouldn't result in the player being prevented from playing.  

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Do you think they want a 31 year old DT with cap hits of 15 and 16 million, who will want a new contract.

I would think you move Cox to a contender in a separate trade. Like you say, Houston wouldn't want Cox, at least I wouldn't think...

Archived