EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, dawkdaballhawk said:

I hate that you are correct. F the Cowboys

Trust me i hate it too. Dallas sucks and the way they bungled that Dak contract makes him overpaid but I’d argue he’s still a top 10 QB in the league right now. I’d put in no particular order heading into 2021 that Mahomes, brady, rodgers, Wilson, Allen, watson, Dak (of healthy), herbert (basing it on his rookie year last year not career), Lamar as locks for top 10 and can argue a bunch for 10. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

the Dak hasn’t had a losing season, well he came into the the league arguably with one of the best olines and a ton of playmakers around him.

The Cowboys were a botched on side kick coverage from being 0-4 under Prescott last year, and he was playing like hot garbage week 5 when he got hurt.

They would have been under 500 without a doubt last  year even if he was healthy.

2 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Who in the right mind would trade for Watson right now with the pending investigation unless they have any type of inside info? 

Caplan discussed this back in April/May. The eagles were doing their on research and monitoring of the situation. He discussed how teams were going about doing it. So I’d be shocked if the eagles didn’t find out more info that’s not put out there nor if they did make a trade before talking to watson, his agent and lawyer. 

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

He's more accurate, he's more athletic, he reads defenses better. And he doesn't need to be surrounded with top level weapons and an offensive line to be productive. Prescott behind a mediocre OL and mediocre weapons before the Cowboys got Cooper was average. Watson had the best year of his career behind a trash OL and without his go-to WR. He played his entire NFL career so far behind a trash OL and **** coaching. Prescott has been productive when everything around him is perfect. Healthy OL which is top 3 in the league, a top level WR and deep WR group.

It's not even close.

Is he more athletic? Can't say I've seen anything from them to say one is more athletic than the other.  I'd say they are actually of pretty similar accuracy throwing the ball. 

Not sure how you can say Watson reads defenses better.  What is the tangible proof that you have to point to for that? 

The years you say that Dak was average before Cooper are actually pretty similar to the years that Watson had the best WR in the league, so hmmmm. 

Also funny how you make a comment about Watson having crap coaching but don't point the same out for Dak. 

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

They have the cap room, but do they want to give up their firsts the next couple years with no other extra draft picks stockpiled ??

Washington’s biggest weakness right now might only be on the OL, and Watson has proven he can at least make plays behind a crap line.  They’re young at almost every position of importance.  I’m playing devil’s advocate here. It just seems like an absolutely perfect fit if they were to go all in.  Their defense should also be elite this season. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

No, QB's win a lot of games. Teams win IMPORTANT* games. 

Deshaun hasnt done either. 

Great example is Aaron rodgers. Packers are usually rubbish but and Rodgers wills them to win but when they finally face a good team in crunch time, (playoffs) they lose. 

2016 comes to mind. they went like 1-4 against playoff teams and 11-1 against non playoffs team. 

Watson has played with one of the worst coaches and offensive lines in the NFL and had no running game to speak of up until this past season. DeShaun has won a lot of games, not sure what you mean.

18 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Just pointing out Prescott has played 69 games and watson just 54. dak has the same playoff record of 1-2. Meanwhile watson has 104 passing tds and 36 ints and Dak has 106 passing tds and 40 ints but played in 15 more games. Dak has thrown for 3,095 more yards but also has played 15 more games which is close to an entire season. Watson if you project out those 15 games would have more touchdowns and more passing yards. 

the Dak hasn’t had a losing season, well he came into the the league arguably with one of the best olines and a ton of playmakers around him. And he would’ve finished at 8-8 twice if the eagles didn’t give the Cowboys a week 17 win 

Frankly i believe both are top 10 QBs. 

Yeah they are at the same level.  Dak didn't come into the league as the best passer but has improved dramatically.  Point is Watson is a lot closer to a Dak level QB than he is the really elite level QB like. Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady and Wilson.  Dak is certainly in the conversation assuming he comes back good from his injury of being a better QB than Watson. 

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah they are at the same level.  Dak didn't come into the league as the best passer but has improved dramatically.  Point is Watson is a lot closer to a Dak level QB than he is the really elite level QB like. Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady and Wilson.  Dak is certainly in the conversation assuming he comes back good from his injury of being a better QB than Watson. 

How many quarterbacks in the Eagles history since the Super Bowl era began have they had a quarterback caliber of mahomes, rodgers, brady or Wilson? They have had none unless you consider mcnabb that. So we are assuming hurts becomes that or we’re just gonna go into the draft  find that quarterback which we’ve been trying for about 60 years to find that specific quarterback.  If we are trying to find mahomes or only deal for mahomes we are likely not finding him for a while based off track record. They’ve had individual foles, Vick and wentz type of mvp like seasons but never consistently mvp like seasons like those guys. Asking for a lot. Trust me I’d love to get that QB but it’s not that easy.  

If Eagles trade for Watson, they surely keep a cheap backup in Hurts for insurance right?

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If Eagles trade for Watson, they surely keep a cheap backup in Hurts for insurance right?

I don't see it. That's asking to divide the locker room and cause problems.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't see it. That's asking to divide the locker room and cause problems.

Idk if the eagles want to give up the stud of Flacco and a running back of Jordan Howard’s ability :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Nah, package him up in the deal and move on.

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

How many quarterbacks in the Eagles history since the Super Bowl era began have they had a quarterback caliber of mahomes, rodgers, brady or Wilson? They have had none unless you consider mcnabb that. So we are assuming hurts becomes that or we’re just gonna go into the draft  find that quarterback which we’ve been trying for about 60 years to find that specific quarterback.  If we are trying to find mahomes or only deal for mahomes we are likely not finding him for a while based off track record. They’ve had individual foles, Vick and wentz type of mvp like seasons but never consistently mvp like seasons like those guys. Asking for a lot. Trust me I’d love to get that QB but it’s not that easy.  

Watson isn't those guys.  This team is far from a QB away from being a contender.  So the price isn't justified for this team to go get Watson.  This isn't a situation where we are a team like the Rams so it makes sense giving up a ton to get a QB like Stafford/Watson.  There is a lot of work to be done going forward beyond this season with this roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

People keep saying it's so hard to get a QB like Watson as if he is that top tier of QB when he is not.  So yes, let's see what we have in Hurts.  If he isn't the guy then the Eagles will be in great position to draft a top QB to develop and use cap and draft picks to build around going forward. 

56 minutes ago, RLC said:

I still can't believe some people were worried about this

That guy's a cornerstone piece .... look how he wears his hat  💹

36 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

I hate that you are correct. F the Cowboys

Making their futility all the sweeter. 

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Watson isn't those guys.  This team is far from a QB away from being a contender.  So the price isn't justified for this team to go get Watson.  This isn't a situation where we are a team like the Rams so it makes sense giving up a ton to get a QB like Stafford/Watson.  There is a lot of work to be done going forward beyond this season with this roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

People keep saying it's so hard to get a QB like Watson as if he is that top tier of QB when he is not.  So yes, let's see what we have in Hurts.  If he isn't the guy then the Eagles will be in great position to draft a top QB to develop and use cap and draft picks to build around going forward. 

So you’re telling me it’s easy to get a top 10 quarterback that’s consistently a top 10 quarterback in the league every year he’s played? Really if it’s so easy why are the Eagles currently not having one. If it’s so easy why have the eagle since Donovan McNabb left only have a couple seasons where they can say they had a top 10 quarterbacK. The best string they’ve had was a 3 year window with wentz and I’d argue wentz wasn’t playing like a top 10 QB in 2018 his stats look good but when you watched him when wasn’t playing like a top 10 QB. 

I understand your point about building a team to draft picks however It’s not a given with how the Eagles select they can build the roster up with those picks. You might get a Sidney jones and Derek Barnett as your picks from those picks as easily as you can san say they’ll nail them. You also are forgetting they might not be in position to get that quarterback. They might have to give up picks to move up and get unproven quarterback that might be Mitchell Trubisky as much as he could be Watson. 

Again In theory your plan sounds amazing and I’d agree. But in reality you also have to be in a position to get that quarterback which might not be the case. They might just be a 7-10 team where they aren’t picking high enough to get the QB they covet (kind of like the rumors they wanted Zach Wilson and couldn’t move up high enough to pull it off). And if can have to give up more capital and hope they are correct on their evaluation of the QB which there’s the risk he’s a bust just as much as he pans out. Your plan if they hit on everything is great. However there’s multiple flaws that can pop up doing so. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I mean, he's very easily top 10. Probably top 7. Was second in the league in QB rating with no receivers and a trash line.

Talk out of your ass some more.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

If he's ready to go this year, let him challenge Isaac.  It would be fun watching Mialata (he should beat out Dillard) and Dickerson cave in the left side of the line.  Isaac needs to compete.

Watson led the league in passing yards, Y/A and Y/C, passed for 300+ yards per game...all while being second in QB rating with no help on offense and an OL that was worse than ours.

But he doesn't wear a visor or post workout videos, so clearly he stinks.

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Great.  Exactly what I didn’t want.  He needs to be the LG to justify that pick at 37. Not a back-up C his rookie season.  Keep him at G and get Seumalo ready to take over for Kelce next season. 

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Watson led the league in passing yards, Y/A and Y/C, passed for 300+ yards per game...all while being second in QB rating with no help on offense and an OL that was worse than ours.

But he doesn't wear a visor or post workout videos, so clearly he stinks.

In what world does Watson not make this team a playoff contender? We’re not as far away across the roster as people think. A lot rides on staying healthy obviously, but where are we SO far out? WR? LB?

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

So you’re telling me it’s easy to get a top 10 quarterback that’s consistently a top 10 quarterback in the league every year he’s played? Really if it’s so easy why are the Eagles currently not having one. If it’s so easy why have the eagle since Donovan McNabb left only have a couple seasons where they can say they had a top 10 quarterbacK. The best string they’ve had was a 3 year window with wentz and I’d argue wentz wasn’t playing like a top 10 QB in 2018 his stats look good but when you watched him when wasn’t playing like a top 10 QB. 

I understand your point about building a team to draft picks however It’s not a given with how the Eagles select they can build the roster up with those picks. You might get a Sidney jones and Derek Barnett as your picks from those picks as easily as you can san say they’ll nail them. 

I have far more confidence in the Eagles being able to build a team around a young QB on a rookie deal with a cheat full of draft picks then I do their ability to build around one of the highest paid players in the league with major character issues who has already shown he has little patience for playing in a disfunctional organization with a lousy roster and do so with extremely limited cap space and depleted draft capital. 

Watsons QB rating last season was a higher QB rating than Tom Brady has had at any point in his career. For Watsons career, if he were to retire, his QB rating in terms of the number itself, would have him ranked second....in NFL history.

Nah, he stinks. Hurts and Dak are better. 

Archived