EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

In what world does Watson not make this team a playoff contender? We’re not as far away across the roster as people think. A lot rides on staying healthy obviously, but where are we SO far out? WR? LB?

Good start ... keep going

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I have far more confidence in the Eagles being able to build a team around a young QB on a rookie deal with a cheat full of draft picks then I do their ability to build around one of the highest paid players in the league with major character issues who has already shown he has little patience for playing in a disfunctional organization with a lousy roster and do so with extremely limited cap space and depleted draft capital. 

Please tell us what about the draft history the last 6 years gives you that confidence.

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

In what world does Watson not make this team a playoff contender? We’re not as far away across the roster as people think. A lot rides on staying healthy obviously, but where are we SO far out? WR? LB?

You can disregard this season because he will be missing likely at least half of it. 

Where exactly do you see the talent coming from on defense going forward after the Eagles unload their draft picks and cap space to get Watson? Graham, Cox, Slay & McLeod just going to keep on playing at their levels without falling off the further into their 30s they go? 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Please tell us what about the draft history the last 6 years gives you that confidence.

Please tell me how this defense is going to be built with no cap space or draft picks? You have blamed the Texans defense for their record last year yet to be in complete denial about how dire the future situation is for our defense once our core players who are all in their 30s start to drop off. 

You're the biggest Howie hater here yet you seemingly believe that with a far harder situation to build a team he will suddenly do better. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Please tell me how this defense is going to be built with no cap space or draft picks? You have blamed the Texans defense for their record last year yet to be in complete denial about how dire the future situation is for our defense once our core players who are all in their 30s start to drop off. 

You're the biggest Howie hater here yet you seemingly believe that with a far harder situation to build a team he will suddenly do better. 

Why can't you answer my question.  What about the Eagles draft history the last 6 years gives you confidence they can use those picks wisely to build around a young QB ????

22 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I have far more confidence in the Eagles being able to build a team around a young QB on a rookie deal with a cheat full of draft picks then I do their ability to build around one of the highest paid players in the league with major character issues who has already shown he has little patience for playing in a disfunctional organization with a lousy roster and do so with extremely limited cap space and depleted draft capital. 

Can you show me in the 2016 to 2020 draft where the Eagles have shown they are capable via the drafting of building the new core of the team and a defense. I’m not talking about draft from nearly a decade ago with Cox, Jason kelce, Graham and lane Johnson. I’m talking about recent history where they have trying to build a new core for the next eagles era and have failed miserably. On the roster today only issac seumalo, goedert, sanders, Barnett and mailata are the only starters from that time. That’s not exactly inspiring haul from 5 draft classes. 

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You can disregard this season because he will be missing likely at least half of it. 

Where exactly do you see the talent coming from on defense going forward after the Eagles unload their draft picks and cap space to get Watson? Graham, Cox, Slay & McLeod just going to keep on playing at their levels without falling off the further into their 30s they go? 

McLeod is barely a factor and easily replaceable. Defense obviously will be the main focus of the next two (at least) offseasons

Watson, an elite, young QB and 8 draft picks.

"We're screwed. How could we possibly fix the team?"

Hurts and 10 picks.

"Fixing the team is easy!"

Comedy.

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Hurts and 10 picks.

Comedy.

Sounds like a.....

COURT JESTER

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why can't you answer my question.  What about the Eagles draft history the last 6 years gives you confidence they can use those picks wisely to build around a young QB ????

They have drafted some decent players. Howie certainly isn't the beat drafter but I do know the more quality picks the Eagles have the better chance they have of hitting on those picks. Turning the difficulty up for Roseman by limiting his draft picks and cap space isn't going to make him better. 

Now answer my question because I've asked it to you for several weeks now and you keep ignoring it. 

7 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Hurts and 10 picks.

Comedy.

Furthermore their first and second round picks havent inspired much confidence they can draft well enough to build an entire defense or core. Excluding this year cause they haven’t played yet 

1st— wentz (no longer here; good pick)

2nd: none

1st: Barnett (underwhelming and potentially gone after this year)

2nd: Sidney jones (bust)

2nd: goedert (good also last year of his contract and haven’t heard too much movement on that front)

2019:

1st: dillard (not shown much so far so potential bust)

2nd: sanders (good)

2nd: JJaw (bust)

1st: reagor (underwhelming first year especially compared to some of the players picked around him) 

2nd: hurts (whom they kept trying to tell us they picked to be a backup when they drafted him) 

so based on that i should be inspired to think they are just all the sudden going to begin to hit more cause they got smith and a already injury prone center/guard this year(i like Dickerson hate that he has constantly been hurt before the pros)

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Can you show me in the 2016 to 2020 draft where the Eagles have shown they are capable via the drafting of building the née core of the team and a defense. I’m not talking about draft from nearly a decade ago with Cox, Jason kelce, Graham and lane Johnson. I’m talking about recent history where they have trying to build a new core for the next eagles era and have failed miserably. On the roster today only issac seumalo, goedert, sanders, Barnett and mailata are the only starters from that time. That’s not exactly inspiring haul from 5 draft classes. 

So what's the plan exactly?  Just give up on trying to build a team?  We might actually have cap space going forward for the first time in awhile and have a nice collection of draft picks.  Let's not try to build with that but instead just go all in on one of the highest paid QBs in the league who also has major character issues and just say F it, let's just rock a really bad roster with what will be one of the worst and least talented defenses in the NFL?

Is that the plan? Because it sounds like your plan. 

I mean, I'm not sure I'd sell the farm for Watson given his legal issues, but trying to argue he might not be a top 10 QB in the league (ignoring legal issues) or is on the same level as Prescott?

Give it a rest.

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

They have drafted some decent players. Howie certainly isn't the beat drafter but I do know the more quality picks the Eagles have the better chance they have of hitting on those picks. Turning the difficulty up for Roseman by limiting his draft picks and cap space isn't going to make him better. 

Now answer my question because I've asked it to you for several weeks now and you keep ignoring it. 

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

McLeod is barely a factor and easily replaceable. Defense obviously will be the main focus of the next two (at least) offseasons

McLeod is a decent safety. Point is the only players on the team you can point to being genuinely good players are all 30 or older on defense. They should be a decent group this season hopefully but there is no bright future with that side of the ball as of today. 

The reason to be intrigued by Watson is the chance to buy a unique asset (a young, elite QB) on the cheap due to circumstances (wanting out of HOU + legal issues). If we could get him for Hurts, Miami's 1st and the conditional pick from the Colts...it's a steal and franchise changing. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

OTC currently has the Eagles with 3.267 million in cap space.  Reported Steven Nelson will have a cap hit of 1.6 million, and Dickerson will have a cap hit of 1.57 million.  That leaves the Eagles with 97,000 in cap space.  

What is the next move ?? We need 1.7 million for player 52 and 53, and will need to have money for mid season moves, IR players etc.

Cut Maddox, save 2 million, and resign him at minimum after week 1 or just let him go.

16 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

As someone already posted, when a player is traded he no longer has any guaranteed money in his contract.  Would be quite easy to restructure, lowering cap hits in 2022 and 2023, and the big money kicks in 2024.  By then, Graham, Kelce, Cox, Johnson and Brooks are probably all gone, so 2023 and beyond cap should ( unless Howie does more dumb stuff ) be fine.  The real issue is making good draft picks going forward to fill the void of those players leaving.

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

So what's the plan exactly?  Just give up on trying to build a team?  We might actually have cap space going forward for the first time in awhile and have a nice collection of draft picks.  Let's not try to build with that but instead just go all in on one of the highest paid QBs in the league who also has major character issues and just say F it, let's just rock a really bad roster with what will be one of the worst and least talented defenses in the NFL?

Is that the plan? Because it sounds like your plan. 

That’s not my point  because I still have picks even if I make that move. You’re acting like they give them every pick they ever have until the end of time. Like it’s gonna be five first round picks going there. If it’s two first round picks I would still have a first round pick in 2022 and the rest of my picks in 2022. And I still have all my picks in 2023 if that’s the case. so potentially 2 firsts and 2nds the next two years and the rest of the draft classes for the eagles to build.

And we keep explaining to you he’s going to restructure so they get cap space. Also you have a bunch of older players who are going to eventually be cut where you save on cap and still could go out and get some players. And in 2023 with the new tv money the cap is going up again 

If that’s not enough picks to build your team  can you please explain to me how the majority of the NFL only has four picks in the top two rounds (most two years windows) and manages to build SB rosters? 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Rodgers has played with one of the worst coaches and Olines in the NFL, he had no running game for the majority of his career and yet Rodgers has won a lot more then Deshaun

Heres my point. 

If Rodgers came to Philly, we'd be probably a lock to win the division. If Watson came here, I dont think our chances change much 

Yeah look Watson is a very good Quarterback, but he needs a lot of pieces around him to make a team truly competitive. The D desperately needs retooling and you would be giving up at least 2 first rounders we need to do it. 

There is also no way we can fit him under the salary cap. Would basically have to cut/trade 2/3 of our best players.

Add in that I just can't see Lurie, with his media business, making Watson the face of his franchise with all these allegations swirling around.

Not going to happen for so many reasons, but the hacks in the media have everybody worked up.

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will be nearly as good as Watson?

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Which QB is that? I don't think they exist.

Their last 4 first rounders are Smith, Reagor, Dillard, Goedert(technically 2nd round but they traded down for him).

Just look at it as trading 3 of those guys for Watson.

I think Watson doesn't make this team a SB contender alone.  Hurts is an unknown and could be a good enough QB to win.   I have concerns that he demanded a trade a year after signing a big second contract and got sued by 22 women for sexual assault/harassment.  I think his salary makes him cost prohibitive and limits the team's ability to add talent.  He's gotten sacked at an incredibly high rate over the last 3 seasons.    Those are good reasons to not take the chance in the trade.  I think there's a good chance he doesn't keep playing at the same level.  If he didn't have the allegations against him, I would be a lot more in favor of the trade. It's just not worth it at this point for 3 1st round picks. 

2 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

What QB do we think we can draft next year that will nearly as good as Watson?

Halen Jurts or Warson Centz. 

12 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They have drafted some decent players.

If they drafted decent players, they wouldn't be in the position they're in.

If they drafted decent players, the vast majority of Eagles fans wouldn't want Howie fired.

If they drafted decent players, our entire team would be different as would the cap space.

If they drafted decent players, would it not be easier to rebuild with a young, elite, QB?

You can't possibly believe anything you post.

tenor (2).gif

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Can you show me in the 2016 to 2020 draft where the Eagles have shown they are capable via the drafting of building the née core of the team and a defense. I’m not talking about draft from nearly a decade ago with Cox, Jason kelce, Graham and lane Johnson. I’m talking about recent history where they have trying to build a new core for the next eagles era and have failed miserably. On the roster today only issac seumalo, goedert, sanders, Barnett and mailata are the only starters from that time. That’s not exactly inspiring haul from 5 draft classes. 

This fan base puts way too much value into the team’s draft picks. If you’re a team like Baltimore that has a strong track record in drafting, then sure, you put a lot of value in your draft picks and they matter. But Howie’s draft track record speaks for itself. It’s why when the Jalen Ramsey trade talk was happening on here, I really didn’t care about giving up the picks in that deal in order to get the best corner in the league. It’s not like they would draft anyone better. 

Archived