EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah.  He was able to sign his second round draft pick.  I am impressed.

While signing steven nelson and keeping zach ertz. It is actually impressive.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Not when you look at their dead cap numbers for the next 2-3 years. 

59 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Again, his teams never won anything. Are you faulting Watson for their failures? If not, not sure how it's relevant. Dan Marino never won anything.  Peyton Manning went years before ever winning anything. Watson's in arguably the worst organization in the entire NFL, just a disaster. And the issue with waiting is you might miss out on him. Hurts isn't very good, and there's next to a zero chance he'll ever be near as good as Watson. Watson will likely be the best QB traded at this age in NFL history. QBs this age don't get traded as good as him. It doesn't happen. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get someone as good as him.

People wonder why Philly sports never wins anything it's because they don't take advantage of situations like this. I remember when Lebron James became available in 2018, a lot of Sixers fans didn't want him because they wanted to "See how the young guys grow together organically." Yeah, how'd that work out? Championship teams chase elite talent. Philly typically has trouble getting that kind of talent, and if you start scoffing at it when you do have a chance to get it, that's not a formula for winning championships.

At least they'll have the QB problem taken care of. They aren't winning anything with Hurts, he sucks.

Watson isn’t Lebron James.  The NFL isn’t the NBA.

Just now, MillerTime said:

Really?  Should we be impressed by the pushing of lots of dead cap to next year in order to manage to stay under the cap by nickels and dimes for this year?   Oh... in that case, color me impressed.  The QB situation is unsettled, the OL is aging, the WRs are a hope and a prayer.   The DL is aged and weakening, while remaining expensive.  The DBs are patchwork.  The LBs are non-existent.   I can't wait to watch the masterplan play out.

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

yet the Rams really didn’t want him and wanted to upgrade at QB after making the super bowl 2 years prior. They couldn’t make a deal with his contract on their books and they couldn’t just cut him due to cap purposes. They couldn’t do any trade for another QB unless they traded Goff.

You really believe the Rams didn’t try to trade him for anything to anyone just to get the contract off the books and get some capital back or just cap space? If the Rams just cut him pre June 1st it was 65 mil in dead money. And 30 mil against the cap. Additionally if after June 1 it was 55 dead money in 2021 and 15.5 mil in 2022 and 15 against the cap in 2021. If they traded him like they did they have only 22 mil in dead money and actually save 12 mil against the cap clearing enough space to make the move they wanted too. That’s why teams knew they had to deal him to make an upgrade at QB and why teams didn’t want to give them anything for him. It definitely played a reason why they got more for a 33 year old Stafford who had an elbow, ribs and ankle issue at the end of the 2020 season. 

I think Goff was a big reason why the Lions made the trade with the Rams.  You're fooling yourself if you think the Texans are going to get less than the draft picks the Rams gave up for Stafford.  They are going to get more unless Watson dictates which team he will go to and and eliminates any bidding teams. 

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah.  He was able to sign his second round draft pick.  I am impressed.

Hes done a whole bunch while a bunch of you guys have been saying we had no cap space. 

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

Not when you look at their dead cap numbers for the next 2-3 years. 

Shhh.... Steven Nelson is a future all-pro, didn't you know?   31 other teams were hot on his trail, but Howie out maneuvered them all.   Nelson was a cast off from Pittsburgh because they had better options, and sat on the open market.  Let's just hope that this one year deal isn't like the one year deals to Joe Flacco ($1.9M dead), Anthony Harris ($2.5M dead), Eric Wilson ($1.3M dead), Ryan Kerrigan ($1.1M)...  

So, let's see if Howie can top the nearly $49M in dead money he is carrying this season for 2022.  That's a high bar, but he's already got $21M+ allocated as dead money for 2022.  (Oh, and I forgot... if Ertz sticks around this year, the Eagles will get to eat the $3.5M in void year bonus money put on his contract.  That gets him close to $25M.) 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Hes done a whole bunch while a bunch of you guys have been saying we had no cap space. 

He did very little besides kick the can down the road and cripple the team for this season.  $49M dead this year, and closing in on $25M for next year already.   But hey, Howie is a master capologist.  This team wasn't in any way hampered by the cap this past offseason.  That's why they made so many big moves this offseason.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Shhh.... Steven Nelson is a future all-pro, didn't you know?   31 other teams were hot on his trail, but Howie out maneuvered them all.   Nelson was a cast off from Pittsburgh because they had better options, and sat on the open market.  Let's just hope that this one year deal isn't like the one year deals to Joe Flacco ($1.9M dead), Anthony Harris ($2.5M dead), Eric Wilson ($1.3M dead), Ryan Kerrigan ($1.1M)...  

So, let's see if Howie can top the nearly $49M in dead money he is carrying this season for 2022.  That's a high bar, but he's already got $21M+ allocated as dead money for 2022.  (Oh, and I forgot... if Ertz sticks around this year, the Eagles will get to eat the $3.5M in void year bonus money put on his contract.  That gets him close to $25M.) 

yeah. I guess pretty soon we wont be able to field a team!  O noooozzzz!!!

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

He did very little besides kick the can down the road and cripple the team for this season.  $49M dead this year, and closing in on $25M for next year already.   But hey, Howie is a master capologist.  This team wasn't in any way hampered by the cap this past offseason.  That's why they made so many big moves this offseason.  

so the dead money is decreasing while the cap space will be increasing. Looks like things are headed in the right direction. O noooozzz!!!

yeah. I guess pretty soon we wont be able to field a team!  O noooozzzz!!!

so the dead money is decreasing while the cap space will be increasing. Looks like things are headed in the right direction. O noooozzz!!!

Hard to go anyway but up after a nearly $50M dead cap hit year.   😂  And there's still time to get that $25M dead cap number to grow before next year.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Hard to go anyway but up after a nearly $50M dead cap hit year.   😂  And there's still time to get that $25M dead cap number to grow before next year.

it coulda got a lot worse but Howie has done great this year while none of you guys thought he could. But, dont admit it. Keep complaining about nothing.

So what would you do instead?

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

it coulda got a lot worse but Howie has done great this year while none of you guys thought he could. But, dont admit it. Keep complaining about nothing.

Sure.  He's on track for exec of the year.  Not sure what 'great' things he's done.   Should be fun to watch the greatness on the field next year.

So what would you do instead?

I'd have held Howie responsible for the hole he dug, and canned him.  But, in the case of this year... I'd have not allowed any one year deals to carry over to the future.  2021 costs only.  None for 2022.

Sure.  He's on track for exec of the year.  Not sure what 'great' things he's done.   Should be fun to watch the greatness on the field next year.

I'd have held Howie responsible for the hole he dug, and canned him.  

Yeah well that didn’t happen. So his options are field a team that can have a chance at competing and build a future plan. If he got canned a new GM would do the same thing. Nobody in their right mind would be okay with 1-16. Not the fans, not a new GM, definitely not the players or owner.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'd have held Howie responsible for the hole he dug, and canned him.  But, in the case of this year... I'd have not allowed any one year deals to carry over to the future.  2021 costs only.  None for 2022.

Hes already won that. 

Hes already won that. 

Yes... thanks for stating the obvious.   And he's not in position to win it for THIS year, is the point.

Yeah well that didn’t happen. So his options are field a team that can have a chance at competing and build a future plan. If he got canned a new GM would do the same thing. Nobody in their right mind would be okay with 1-16. Not the fans, not a new GM, definitely not the players or owner.

If he got canned, the new GM likely wouldn't be pushing extra money to 2022, or so I would hope.

21 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eagles are still better even if Wentz doesn’t become a 1st. Two 1sts in 2022 trump two 1sts in 2023. The Wentz pick is just icing on the top.

That’s too bad because I think one pick gets flipped to 2023. Probably the lowest of the three picks. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes... thanks for stating the obvious.   And he's not in position to win it for THIS year, is the point.

It only goes to 1 each year. Seems to go to a really successful team, or a team thats made a huge turnaround. These arent the kinds of years Id expect him to win it, but what he is doing right now might be the best work any GM can try to do. Rebuilding, while staying competitive... that would be something if they can pull it off.

Just now, BigEFly said:

That’s too bad because I think one pick gets flipped to 2023. Probably the lowest of the three picks. 

I would prefer that they did that.   Flip the 2022 1st round pick for a 2nd in 2021, and a 1st in 2022.  Would prefer that they continue to leverage that for a while.  

37 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I think Goff was a big reason why the Lions made the trade with the Rams.  You're fooling yourself if you think the Texans are going to get less than the draft picks the Rams gave up for Stafford.  They are going to get more unless Watson dictates which team he will go to and and eliminates any bidding teams. 

I think you are fooling yourself into think cap space pertaining to Goff contract didn’t play a major role in getting 2 firsts for Stafford. Yes it was strictly for Goff’s ability the lions did it :rolleyes:  

the general consensus is the Rams were forced to give up an extra first to take on that contract of 43 mil in guaranteed the next two years as Goff was underwhelming the last two years as he had 42 tds, 29 ints and along with 5 fumbles and a average QB rating of 88 combined. owed a ton money the next two years. They tried to read egoff no one wanted him. Nor that 43 mil in guaranteed especially when he was regressing under one for the best offensive minds in football in mcvay. I’m sure the lions were just thrilled to get that type of Qb who’s regressed under one of the best offensive minds in mcvay the last two years since signing that contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/here-is-why-the-rams-gave-up-so-much-to-get-matthew-stafford/ar-BB1dfBOt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2021/01/31/why-matthew-stafford-is-the-right-win-now-upgrade-for-los-angeles-rams/?sh=305d98fe76c5

The Rams will send the Lions a 2021 third-round pick, a first-round pick in 2022 and a first-round selection in 2023, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. They’re also jettisoning Goff to the Lions. Detroit will be on the hook for the remaining $43.325 million in guaranteed money on his deal.

Essentially, it cost the Rams an extra first-round pick to unload Goff. The Lions reportedly received interest from seven or eight teams offering first-round selections for Stafford.

Oh wait a guy who covers the Rams stating it 

Another great point 

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If he got canned, the new GM likely wouldn't be pushing extra money to 2022, or so I would hope.

There is no way. Unless he wanted to go 1-16. Then the fan outrage towards him would have been terrible. No rising GM would have even wanted the job

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Assuming we don’t trade them all away for Watson I’m fine with that. 

Archived