Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

14 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Here we go again with the media fueled speculation on how many games he'll miss.........

he'll probably start this week lmfao

I wouldn't count on it.  Two sprained ankles is not something you see regularly on an injury report - especially on a QB

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Procus said:

I wouldn't count on it.  Two sprained ankles is not something you see regularly on an injury report - especially on a QB

Three is even more rare!

On 9/20/2021 at 6:02 PM, downundermike said:

And then they trade for Minshew.

Don't forget, we tried to trade for Saint Nick.

43 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

And Desean Watson too apparently.

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

And Desean Watson too apparently.

And a move up to #2 for Zach Wilson

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

And a move up to #2 for Zach Wilson

The guys haven’t learned yet. The QB Factory idea is not a good one. I mean if you can’t count on your quarterback to stay healthy then don’t give him a big contract. Better still if the guy has a history of injuries going back to college then don’t draft him, 

What they traded for Wentz: (If I missed detail let me know I'll update, going by Pro Football Reference footnotes on each draft)

• 2016 1st round pick (#8, used on OT Jack Conklin)
  • 2017 1st round pick (was traded to Houston who took DeShaun Watson)
  • 2018 2nd round pick (was traded, used on DE Tyquan Lewis)
  • 2016 3rd round pick (used on Daryl Worley CB)
  • 2016 4th round pick (used on QB Connor Cook, out of the league after a year)

What they got in return from Browns:

• 2016 1st round pick #2 to select Wentz
  • 2017 4th pick (traded along with a 7th to move up and take Pumphrey. Yes they traded up for him)

From Colts:

• 2021 3rd round pick (used in trade up for DeVonta Smith)
  • 2022 2nd round pick (TBD)

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

• 2017 4th pick (traded along with a 7th to move up and take Pumphrey. Yes they traded up for him)

I would add one thing to that list (which I firmly believe should be on that list, though it wasn't 'from' the Browns): :LII:

It may or may not be a popular opinion, but I give Carson a lot of credit for us being in position for Nick to do what he did in the post season in 2017. But of course, when I think of the 2017 season, I honestly picture in my mind two games. The NFCCG and Super Bowl LII. So I understand why a lot of people may not credit Carson for that glorious storybook season. 

Not only do I think of those games, but also how much fun we all had on the EMB during (and after) that run. 

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I would add one thing to that list (which I firmly believe should be on that list, though it wasn't 'from' the Browns): :LII:

It may or may not be a popular opinion, but I give Carson a lot of credit for us being in position for Nick to do what he did in the post season in 2017. But of course, when I think of the 2017 season, I honestly picture in my mind two games. The NFCCG and Super Bowl LII. So I understand why a lot of people may not credit Carson for that glorious storybook season. 

Not only do I think of those games, but also how much fun we all had on the EMB during (and after) that run. 

That 2017 season was magical... and it was magical long before the NFCCG and SBLII.   The MNF game against Washington, Carson was amazing.  The TNF game against Carolina... phenomenal.  And it was that Carolina game that made me believe that it was possible to get to and win a Super Bowl that season.  I told my wife the next morning that I was in big trouble and due for a giant let down, just like all the seasons before... because I was letting myself believe that "this was the year... finally!"  And I apologized for my grumpiness in the week or so following whenever that let down came.

Carson Wentz was a huge part of that season, even if he didn't finish it.   Sure, where we are now sucks, but I wouldn't trade that move to get Wentz in 2016 for anything, because... ultimately, the dominoes landed such that we finally got that Lombardi.  Now we are dealing with the fallout.  

Saw the video of the injury. Lucky it was only that. There’s been horrible injuries to QBs when lineman fall and roll on their QBs legs and ankles

Colts Oline is just bad

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Carson deserves some credit for that game, but let’s be real honest here. The heavy lifting happened in the playoffs and that guy wasn’t there for it. The Eagles too advantage of a last place schedule and rode that all the way to the Super Bowl. Certainly Carson deserves credit for drive the bus, but Foles deserves the credit for taking us home.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

What they traded for Wentz: (If I missed detail let me know I'll update, going by Pro Football Reference footnotes on each draft)

• 2016 1st round pick (#8, used on OT Jack Conklin)
  • 2017 1st round pick (was traded to Houston who took DeShaun Watson)
  • 2018 2nd round pick (was traded, used on DE Tyquan Lewis)
  • 2016 3rd round pick (used on Daryl Worley CB)
  • 2016 4th round pick (used on QB Connor Cook, out of the league after a year)

From Colts:

• 2021 3rd round pick (used in trade up for DeVonta Smith)
  • 2022 2nd round pick (TBD)

This is probably Howie’s best draft. Side note that 1st they traded ended up being Lamar Jackson. 

A31430CB-FB7F-425F-9740-FA6EFD8EEFF8.jpeg

Occasionally a team finds a player who is mentally strong, but Physically weak. Sometimes they find a guy who’s physically strong, but mentally weak, but it is on a rare occasion that you see both out of one player. 

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson deserves some credit for that game, but let’s be real honest here. The heavy lifting happened in the playoffs and that guy wasn’t there for it. The Eagles too advantage of a last place schedule and rode that all the way to the Super Bowl. Certainly Carson deserves credit for drive the bus, but Foles deserves the credit for taking us home.

I've never really bought into that 'last place schedule' theory. 

Going into the 2017 season, the Eagles were tied at 10th in 'strength of schedule'. 

Spoiler

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/234722/2017-nfl-strength-of-schedule

Below are 2017 strength of schedule figures, based on opponents' winning percentage in 2016.

On top of that, there's this:

Spoiler

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-strength-of-schedule-ranking-for-all-32-teams-heading-into-the-inaugural-17-game-season/

One thing that will be changing with the addition of the 17th game is that there will now be a true first-place schedule. From 2002 to 2020, the schedule was inherently the same for everyone, whether they were playing a "first-place" schedule or a "last-place" schedule. Each team played four games against a team that finished in first place, four games against teams that finished in second, four games against teams that finished in third and four games against teams that finished in last place. 

With the addition of the 17th game, a first-place team will now play FIVE first place teams, which means you're rarely going to see a division winner with an easy schedule. Last year, the Ravens had the easiest schedule in the NFL even though they were supposed to have a "first-place" schedule. Thanks to the 17-game formula, it's highly unlikely a team playing a first place schedule will ever get handed the league's easiest strength of schedule ever again. 

2017 Was just one of those seasons where the stars and planets all aligned properly, and they aligned in the shape of an Eagle head. 

On 9/21/2021 at 8:02 AM, EazyEaglez said:

I hope he plays in the next game. I really want to see the greatness of a quarterback who can’t use his legs as a weapon. :whistle:

Watch Tampa Bay. You'll come pretty close.

37 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've never really bought into that 'last place schedule' theory. 

Going into the 2017 season, the Eagles were tied at 10th in 'strength of schedule'. 

Hide contents

On top of that, there's this:

Hide contents

2017 Was just one of those seasons where the stars and planets all aligned properly, and they aligned in the shape of an Eagle head. 

Nevertheless they did have a last place schedule, and some of those teams (Chicago and Denver) turned out to be a lot worse than people originally thought they would be too. In any case the Eagles certainly have everything aligned for them, but it wasn’t easy either. They lost their quarterback, starting left tackle, middle linebacker, and pass down back. They also lost Darby for a long period of time as well. 

32 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Watch Tampa Bay. You'll come pretty close.

That guy has been a class above all quarterbacks since the early 2000s. Ironically though he’s one of the career lead leaders and one of the best at using his legs at getting first downs too. 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:28 AM, time2rock said:

Disastrous first game?  He was 25/38 (that is a 66% completion %) for 251 yds ... 2 TDs, no INTs.  I would hardly call that "disastrous".  

I was talking about the Colts team. Wentz looked really good, but the rest of the Colts team, protections, etc, during the first game was out of sync.

59 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nevertheless they did have a last place schedule,

When Strength of Schedule for 2018 was calculated, the Eagles 2017 schedule ranked 19th. 

1 minute ago, Procus said:

And again on the Miami front, Tua out this Sunday with fractured ribs.  Jacoby Brisset to start.

Very favorable for the Eagles right now. Maybe they do us one step more and go give up a bunch of picks for Watson too. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Very favorable for the Eagles right now. Maybe they do us one step more and go give up a bunch of picks for Watson too. 

Not sure that would help us IF Watson can then play this year? If he can't then yeah that would be a big help for us I guess. But I'm not sure what Miami can really give up to get Watson? With no first next year they would have to give up a hell of a lot. They may be better accepting this year is a loss and give us a high pick... 😆

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

How would them trading future picks help the Eagles ??  It would have no impact on how they play this year.

Archived