Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everybody here hoping for the conditions to vest for the Colts first round pick are setting themselves up for a letdown.

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

Wow... that's some great math.  The same could have been done by just taking 75% * 17 games and realizing the same thing.   2 games of snaps isn't enough to get a real sense beyond that anyway.   For those interested, 75% of 17 games is 12.75 games.  So... that's 4.25 games he could miss.  So far he's missed about 4% of 1 game... roughly 0.06 of a game.  He's at 1.94 games played of the needed 12.75 games.

Not sure why Rapport is putting out there that there's an interesting development in Indy that Carson may play. Carson is going to fight through every game this year just to try and prove that he doesn't have an injury flag over his head. Actually what he needs to focus on is that he's just simply not that good rather than worry about the injury tag.

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not sure why Rapport is putting out there that there's an interesting development in Indy that Carson may play. Carson is going to fight through every game this year just to try and prove that he doesn't have an injury flag over his head. Actually what he needs to focus on is that he's just simply not that good rather than worry about the injury tag.

Must be interesting, it got you to talk about it.

I can't see the Colts being a good team this year.  Injury bug hit them bad, plus they lost key coaches.  From where I'm sitting, the Eagles are likely looking at a relatively highly slotted second round pick.  But that Miami pick is looking like it could easily be a top ten pick.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, Procus said:

I think everybody here hoping for the conditions to vest for the Colts first round pick are setting themselves up for a letdown.

I'm sure they know it's a long shot.  Nothing wrong with hoping for it though.  

On 9/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Just need for Carson to keep playing, and losing. 

Even if it ended up being a 1st round pick in the teens, that's obviously a better pick then any 2nd round pick.  So winning some games early in the season might not nesscary be a bad thing in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, eaglestime34 said:

Even if it ended up being a 1st round pick in the teens, that's obviously a better pick then any 2nd round pick.  So winning some games early in the season might not nesscary be a bad thing in my opinion. 

They can beat Miami, and then that’s it!

On 9/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, Iggles_Phan said:

Wow... that's some great math.  The same could have been done by just taking 75% * 17 games and realizing the same thing.   2 games of snaps isn't enough to get a real sense beyond that anyway.   For those interested, 75% of 17 games is 12.75 games.  So... that's 4.25 games he could miss.  So far he's missed about 4% of 1 game... roughly 0.06 of a game.  He's at 1.94 games played of the needed 12.75 games.

Just bear in mind that the round 1 vs. round 2 pick is based on number of snaps, not number of games played. Yes number of snaps and number of games played should be similar but they're not the same.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:43 PM, Procus said:

Agreed. 

Too much energy wasted here on Carson. 

Let's just plan on getting the Colts 2nd rounder and move on with our lives. 

9 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Agreed. 

Too much energy wasted here on Carson. 

Let's just plan on getting the Colts 2nd rounder and move on with our lives. 

Good enough..

Brian Dawkins was a 2nd rounder after all.. maybe we get lucky again...

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Just bear in mind that the round 1 vs. round 2 pick is based on number of snaps, not number of games played. Yes number of snaps and number of games played should be similar but they're not the same.

I am well aware.  But the person that put out that projection, is using average snaps per game, with only 2 games in the books.   So, it's basically the number of games.   In terms of games, its 12.75 games to be 75%, so the rough estimate is that if he can play 13 games, the first round pick is going to convey.  

And word out of INDY is that Carson will start today.   Hopefully he can stay healthy and they can run the ball to keep him from straining those ankles.   One major benefit for this deal this year is that Indy doesn't really have a backup QB that they can trust at all, so if Carson is in a spot where he could go versus not go, they will likely lean to the 'go' side.   Personally, I think I'd have preferred he sit this one out and got healthier.   But, every snap he takes gets us a little bit closer.

Keep in mind the Colts are aware, too. They know they can save themselves a 1st round pick by not playing him. So if at the end of the year they aren't going anywhere they can (and probably will) just find an excuse to sit him and save that pick.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:45 PM, downundermike said:

That tweet seems like a ridiculously long winded way of saying 4 divided by 17 is roughly 25%

1 minute ago, echosam said:

Keep in mind the Colts are aware, too. They know they can save themselves a 1st round pick by not playing him. So if at the end of the year they aren't going anywhere they can (and probably will) just find an excuse to sit him and save that pick.

They would have to sit him 4 games in a row. I don't see Reich taking a chance on getting Wentz all effed up in the head over 1 round. 

29 minutes ago, echosam said:

I doubt either team will give much thought about that pick until after the season. The coaches are going to put in the best player(s) they believe can win each game. If Wentz sits it will be because he's injured or the coaches feel they have a better chance winning with someone else. Although I don't always agree with it, coaches make game decisions based on what is needed to win, not what will give them a chance at a higher draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I doubt either team will give much thought about that pick until after the season. The coaches are going to put in the best player(s) they believe can win each game. If Wentz sits it will be because he's injured or the coaches feel they have a better chance winning with someone else. Although I don't always agree with it, coaches make game decisions based on what is needed to win, not what will give them a chance at a higher draft pick.

Exactly, Reich's job most likely depends on Wentz cause he is the one that made the push to get him. Reich isn't going to give a sheet about that pick he needs to win with Wentz . Sitting Wentz cause he sucks or the team is losing looks bad on Reich and probably costs him his job. 

2 hours ago, echosam said:

Yeah that’s a wash. They can’t afford to bench that guy, because his mental is too fragile. More likely than not that team will be in the hunt until the end unless they’re way out of it. In that case they’re preserving the pick and they don’t care about Wentz or his feelings, because they don’t think he’s the guy. As long as Wentz is playing well enough for them to believe in him, but lose then it would be hard for them to bench him and risk ruining his confidence. The last time this dude got benched he requested a trade. The Colts aren’t going to risk that. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They would have to sit him 4 games in a row. I don't see Reich taking a chance on getting Wentz all effed up in the head over 1 round. 

You wrote what I was trying to write much faster. 😂

Archived